PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers make trade with Seattle

#1swisher
07-30-2011, 01:32 PM
@MLB (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/MLB)

BREAKING: SEA trades SP Doug Fister and
RP Dave Pauley to DET for OF Casper Wells,
P Charlie Furbush, 3B Franciso Martinez and
PTBN

DumpJerry
07-30-2011, 01:36 PM
I added to the thread title since "Detroit Tigers" is a bit vague.

SoxNation05
07-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Padres? Did you mean Mariners?

Zakath
07-30-2011, 01:52 PM
So Detroit gets two pitchers, neither of which has ever beaten the White Sox.

Was expecting more out of them. Guess they've given up on Jimenez.

Gavin
07-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Wins are a stupid stat.

NDSox12
07-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Wins are a stupid stat.

Yes. It is kind of interesting that he has a career record of 1-12 against the AL Central though, with that one winning coming against his new team. But he has always been the victim of a dreadful Mariners offense.

Harry Potter
07-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Key thing here is both players they got today will be under team control through 2015.

kittle42
07-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Ugh. Using wins with no context for pitchers.

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM

Ubaldo Jimenez doesn't look right this year. His velocity is down and his command is off. I'm not surprised that Colorado is willing to trade him, but am definitely surprised that he's garnered so much interest.

Wouldn't the fact that The Rox are willing to trade him and his very team friendly contract raise a red flag to everyone?

As far as The Tigers acquisitions: I like both moves -- from The Tigers perspective.

Oblong
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
You should have heard one of the talk show hosts on the radio after it was announced.... going on and on about his 3-12 record that and he's a loser. And this is not just a radio talk show host, it's a baseball writer for the Oakland Press. Been covering the Tigers since the 1980's. He's referred to as an "expert".

Oblong
07-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Ubaldo Jimenez doesn't look right this year. His velocity is down and his command is off. I'm not surprised that Colorado is willing to trade him, but am definitely surprised that he's garnered so much interest.

Wouldn't the fact that The Rox are willing to trade him and his very team friendly contract raise a red flag to everyone?

As far as The Tigers acquisitions: I like both moves -- from The Tigers perspective.

What's going on with Jimenez is Coors Field.

Check out his home/road splits (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=jimenub01&year=2011&t=p&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#hmvis::none). He's pretty much twice as bad at home.

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2011, 03:29 PM
You should have heard one of the talk show hosts on the radio after it was announced.... going on and on about his 3-12 record that and he's a loser. And this is not just a radio talk show host, it's a baseball writer for the Oakland Press. Been covering the Tigers since the 1980's. He's referred to as an "expert".

That's just the typical negative nature of sports talk radio today. And, of course, since they're not household names a whole bunch of moron callers will be quick to agree (Duh...yeah this is Bob from Ann Arbor and what I wanna know is why come Da Tigers ain't trade for CC Sabathia or Cole Hamels....now dems some real pitchaz!)

I think it's a solid move for you guys. Fister is better than Penny, and is more consistent than Porcello and Scherzer (although Max's stuff is obviously way better.) Pauley is an above average rubber armed reliever that's always helpful to a staff.

shes
07-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Fister's having a good year. He automatically becomes Detroit's #2.

Foulke You
07-30-2011, 05:27 PM
That's just the typical negative nature of sports talk radio today. And, of course, since they're not household names a whole bunch of moron callers will be quick to agree (Duh...yeah this is Bob from Ann Arbor and what I wanna know is why come Da Tigers ain't trade for CC Sabathia or Cole Hamels....now dems some real pitchaz!)

I think it's a solid move for you guys. Fister is better than Penny, and is more consistent than Porcello and Scherzer (although Max's stuff is obviously way better.) Pauley is an above average rubber armed reliever that's always helpful to a staff.
I agree that it is a solid move for Detroit. Penny has been bad and the rookie was unimpressive. There aren't any Cliff Lees or Oswalts on the trade market this year so if you want to improve, you have to make do with what is out there. Fister is a solid but not great pitcher. I'm not quaking in my boots with this trade but I can acknowledge that it makes the Tigers. better.

SI1020
07-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Wins are a stupid stat. No they're not. Cy Young and his stupid 511 wins. In fact I can't think of one stupid stat. You just can't take one stat and let it stand alone. Deconstructionism is all the rage and frankly I find that stupid.

doublem23
07-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Don't like the Tigers getting Fister, but I do like them giving away Wells.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

They still suck

Tragg
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Don't like the Tigers getting Fister, but I do like them giving away Wells.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

They still suck

I saw the Mariners play yesterday; Wells looks like a pretty good hitter and Charlie Furbush threw a seamless 60 pitches - nice looking lefty. Mariners got the best of that deal, as best I can tell.