PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Pence traded to Phillies

illini81887
07-29-2011, 09:50 PM
for 3 minor leaguers+PTBNL

thomas35forever
07-29-2011, 10:13 PM
And the Astros are officially unrecognizable.

jamokes
07-29-2011, 10:20 PM
You gotta feel sorry for the true Astro fans out there. I like Hunter as a player.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2011, 10:56 PM
I think it's great, let Houston sell off every decent player they've got. When they move into the A.L. Central next year it'll be one more garbage team the Sox might (notice I said might...) be able to take advantage of.

Lip

palehozenychicty
07-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I think it's great, let Houston sell off every decent player they've got. When they move into the A.L. Central next year it'll be one more garbage team the Sox might (notice I said might...) be able to take advantage of.

Lip

Yeah. Might. They'll be ready for revenge 18 times a year for '05.

palehozenychicty
07-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Back to the trade...The Phils are what I hope the Sox can become one day. A team that can dominate their division and be a formidable league foe every year.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Pale:

The Phils also have one of the highest payrolls in baseball and unlike the Sox have been in that position at least the last three years. They might have the biggest payroll in the N.L.

That cuts you some slack when it comes time to signing players like Lee and getting them at the deadline like Pence. They have a lot more flexibility to do things that most other teams don't have.

If the Sox could be in that position on a long term basis that would be tremendous but I think the odds of that happening are pretty small.

And I grant you there's more to dominating a division than just payroll size. The Sox have never been able to do it despite having the biggest market, the best advertising opportunities, the highest radio-TV rights and for the most part a very competitive payroll....you need some luck and a lot of brains to pull it off.

Lip

SoxNation05
07-29-2011, 11:55 PM
The players are Singleton and Cosart while the other two will be named later.

DSpivack
07-30-2011, 01:37 AM
The players are Singleton and Cosart while the other two will be named later.

Josh Zeid is one of the two.

sullythered
07-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Pence is pretty good, but that's a hell of a haul. If that's the market, I want a ton back if we move Quentin.

russ99
07-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Pence is pretty good, but that's a hell of a haul. If that's the market, I want a ton back if we move Quentin.

Meh. Not pleased. Both good prospects are class A and the reliever is AA. I don't care how highly they are touted, those guys don't always pan out.

Very disappointed the Astros had to do this, especially under Ed Wade's watch. Had the sale gone through already, Wade would have been fired and Pence may have been kept as the franchise player he should be.

Heck, even the Pirates don't trade their top players with 2 years of arb remaining. Awful, knee-jerk deal taking the best offer at the time and not the best offer, and certainly not maximizing the value of the player.

I'm sure Wade will take less than expected for Bourn, Myers and Rodriguez too.

When Crane takes over, they need to clean house, top to bottom.

VenturaFan23
07-30-2011, 07:59 AM
And the Astros are officially unrecognizable.

Isn't Carlos Lee still there? I bet he's doing his best Denny Lemieux impersonation to his agent on phone right now. "Trade me right ****ing now!"

Seriously though, why did Houston even trade their best player who's in the prime of his career? Way to make your fan base happy.

shes
07-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Meh. Not pleased. Both good prospects are class A and the reliever is AA. I don't care how highly they are touted, those guys don't always pan out.

And they're all underperforming this year to boot.

russ99
07-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Isn't Carlos Lee still there? I bet he's doing his best Denny Lemieux impersonation to his agent on phone right now. "Trade me right ****ing now!"

Seriously though, why did Houston even trade their best player who's in the prime of his career? Way to make your fan base happy.

Nobody wants to take his salary, especially since his numbers have declined in a hitters park. Maybe someone will bite in the offseason on the one year he has left on his deal.

SI1020
07-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Lip I thought that deal was off and Arizona was moving to the AL instead?

SI1020
07-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Nobody wants to take his salary, especially since his numbers have declined in a hitters park. Maybe someone will bite in the offseason on the one year he has left on his deal. He's also become the truly lousy fielder everyone said he was when he played for the Sox.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Pale:

The Phils also have one of the highest payrolls in baseball and unlike the Sox have been in that position at least the last three years. They might have the biggest payroll in the N.L.

That cuts you some slack when it comes time to signing players like Lee and getting them at the deadline like Pence. They have a lot more flexibility to do things that most other teams don't have.

If the Sox could be in that position on a long term basis that would be tremendous but I think the odds of that happening are pretty small.

And I grant you there's more to dominating a division than just payroll size. The Sox have never been able to do it despite having the biggest market, the best advertising opportunities, the highest radio-TV rights and for the most part a very competitive payroll....you need some luck and a lot of brains to pull it off.

Lip

They definitely had some luck. But that's part of life. To be lucky, you have to make smart moves. Nobody falls ass backwards into anything. The Sox had their opportunity to gain after the World Series. They have another opportunity now with the Cubs being in shambles. Time will tell.

The Phils play in a market with one team. They also had an inept Pirates team over the last few decade plus, allowing them to take market share for the entire state. They've also gained in southern and central Jersey, which has some Yankee presence to this day. Their TV ratings have jumped astronomically since they started contending in '06. They also play in a perceived weaker league, but that weaker league has more of the game's best pitchers right now.

I'm aware that payroll isn't everything. Hell, the Yankees missed the playoffs in 2008 with the highest payroll in the game. The Phils' cornerstone players were not only MVP-level, but also homegrown.

The jump in television revenue is a huge factor. Until baseball is able to split that amongst other teams, big market teams will get richer.

In 2004-05, nobody was looking to play in Philadelphia. They were known for the Phanatic, Carlton, Schmidt, Rose, and 10,000 losses. It can change.

russ99
07-30-2011, 04:17 PM
I thought that deal was off and Arizona was moving to the AL instead?

All speculation at this point, but supposedly Arizona was told at the ASG that they were staying in the NL.

AL Central would be a better place for the Astros than the AL or NL West, but I don't see any way that they accept a division move willingly.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2011, 06:04 PM
The print edition of The Sporting News this week had an item where it now appears the Astros will be moved somewhere into the A.L. for next season (either west or central with K.C. moving west) and the playoffs will be expanded to five teams in each league.

Guess that means the Yanks and Red Sox will claim 40% of available A.L. postseason spots for infinity barring a plane crash.

Lip

Zakath
07-30-2011, 06:06 PM
The print edition of The Sporting News this week had an item where it now appears the Astros will be moved somewhere into the A.L. for next season (either west or central with K.C. moving west) and the playoffs will be expanded to five teams in each league.

Guess that means the Yanks and Red Sox will claim 40% of available A.L. postseason spots for infinity barring a plane crash.

Lip

You'd think West to maximize the number of games with the Rangers.

russ99
07-31-2011, 09:34 AM
You'd think West to maximize the number of games with the Rangers.

Despite Bud trying to force one via inter league, the Astros have no rivalry with the Rangers. It's strictly geographic.

The AL Central would be better for the Astros than the West due to travel and time zone issues.

Makes no difference anyway, since Ed Wade's gutting the team for subpar prospects, the Astros are going to be awful for some time in the AL or NL.

Tragg
07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Despite Bud trying to force one via inter league, the Astros have no rivalry with the Rangers. It's strictly geographic.

The AL Central would be better for the Astros than the West due to travel and time zone issues.

Makes no difference anyway, since Ed Wade's gutting the team for subpar prospects, the Astros are going to be awful for some time in the AL or NL.

What's the other realignment move going to be? All that does is shift the 6-team problem to the AL central.

The Astros would have been lucky to win 60 with the current roster. I Know all my friends are mad. What would you have done to fix the team?
One thing they really need is some power - starting 1B has 4 home runs. Starting pitching is so so at best...lot of high WHIPs.

Interesting - I just read somewhere that the Astros could have had Brown, but took Singleton instead.