PDA

View Full Version : SOX vs SAWX weekend at The Cell

Fenway
07-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Just arrived at MDW for the series.....

Wakefield goes after 200th win, in Chicago (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_07_29_bosmlb_chamlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_away&c_id=bos)

Pitching matchups favor Chicago in 2 of the 3 games. (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers/index.jsp?c_id=bos)

White Sox try to get to .500 and Red Sox want payback for the sweep at Fenway 8 weeks ago.

Sox will win every game :tongue:

doublem23
07-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Going to be there tonight. Yay, Red Sox fans

Gavin
07-29-2011, 10:11 AM
"we gonna take ovah dis place!!!! when I say red, you say sawx!"

DumpJerry
07-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Just another team and another series. The Red Sox are nothing special.

I'm there on Sunday for Frank. Maybe I'll give the Fisk statue some props just to piss off the Carmine fans.

Domeshot17
07-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Entire season rests on this series. Lose the first 2 and Kenny will be busy Sunday.

sox102
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm going tonight last minute. I try to avoid the games against the Red Sox and Yankees. Their fans are SO FREAKING ANNOYING.

KMcMahon817
07-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Extremely pumped to get back to the Cell this weekend! Don't disappoint me, SOX!

Fenway
07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm going tonight last minute. I try to avoid the games against the Red Sox and Yankees. Their fans are SO FREAKING ANNOYING.

He was on the Southwest flight and he says he will be dressed like this for all 3 games.

http://www.joncouture.com/Superfan.jpg

amsteel
07-29-2011, 11:15 AM
He was on the Southwest flight and he says he will be dressed like this for all 3 games.

I'm shocked he doesn't fly by private jet.

My favorite 2 fan experiences at Fenway earlier this year to watch the White Sox:
-The dude behind me showing everyone around him naked pictures of his girlfriend on his phone
-Some other guy cursing out a young vendor for putting his ice cream in a helmet not a cone

All that being said I lived in Boston last summer and like any sports team anywhere, the majority of fans are great, but the bad ones are really bad. It just happens that bad Red Sox fans are really bad.

daveeym
07-29-2011, 11:17 AM

I don't buy it. That's just his traveling gear. Why do we all encourage Fenway? :whiner:

Fenway
07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm shocked he doesn't fly by private jet.

My favorite 2 fan experiences at Fenway earlier this year to watch the White Sox:
-The dude behind me showing everyone around him naked pictures of his girlfriend on his phone
-Some other guy cursing out a young vendor for putting his ice cream in a helmet not a cone

All that being said I lived in Boston last summer and like any sports team anywhere, the majority of fans are great, but the bad ones are really bad. It just happens that bad Red Sox fans are really bad.

I despise them - but as you said 90% + of the fans are great and know the game. Every fanbase has idiots.

daveeym
07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't buy it. That's just his traveling gear. Why do we all encourage Fenway? :whiner:
I'm glad to see that fat ass drunks that do body paint now make money advertising NESN? That's not your fathers painted drunk that's a walking professional billboard and shouldn't be given props.

guillensdisciple
07-29-2011, 11:20 AM

This guy looks great.

Fenway
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Last night, Mike Adams of WEEI had Hawk on to preview the series.

Hawk still thinks the Sox will win the division, Dunn and Rios will snap out of it and carry the team the last 8 weeks.

Then Adams made a BIG mistake..

Hawk, any memories of Yaz and the 67 Sox?

That killed an hour

kittle42
07-29-2011, 11:48 AM
And here I was thinking we were done with Cubs fans at the Cell this season.

hi im skot
07-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Zing!

doublem23
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM

I've seen at least a handful of Cub fans these past few days on my Facebook news feed comment about how they had to get their Red Sox shirt out for this weekend.

:puking:

Remember, though, they don't ever think about us. :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Sox will win every game :tongue:
But, of course. There is only one team truly named the "Sox." And it ain't yours. :P

Fisk Fan
07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Last night, Mike Adams of WEEI had Hawk on to preview the series.

Hawk still thinks the Sox will win the division, Dunn and Rios will snap out of it and carry the team the last 8 weeks.

That killed an hour

What was it about monkeys flying out of someone's butt?

PalehosePlanet
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Well, I guess if you're THAT ugly, you do anything you can to create a diversion so no one looks at your face. Eeeehh!

Also, he's lucky our fans have mellowed out through the years. If he would've shown up at our park looking like this 8 or 9 years ago he would have gotten his ass kicked something fierce.

BTW: Floyd is 5-0 lifetime versus The BoSox. Go get 'em Gavin!

Fenway
07-29-2011, 12:26 PM
White Sox have won 13 of the last 15 meetings with Boston:o:

http://stats.nesn.com/mlb/preview.asp?g=310729104

Gavin
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Here's to 16/18 and a lot of dissapointed Sawx fans sulking all the way back to the suburbs. :gulp:

MarySwiss
07-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Let's hope they keep a good thing going! :D:

#1swisher
07-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Sawx lost 2 to the Royals?? :redface:

dwitt76
07-29-2011, 01:44 PM

That killed an hour

:rolling:

Fenway
07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Sawx lost 2 to the Royals?? :redface:

Boston is 12-11 vs Central :scratch:

GoGoCrede
07-29-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a day off this weekend, so I tried to get tickets. They are really expensive, so I will probably have to bow out. :whiner:

kittle42
07-29-2011, 02:07 PM
I have a day off this weekend, so I tried to get tickets. They are really expensive, so I will probably have to bow out. :whiner:

But they're not. Go to stubhub. Good below face tickets.

kufram
07-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Entire season rests on this series. Lose the first 2 and Kenny will be busy Sunday.

I don't think so. If the Tigers, Twins, and Indians lose also then nothing changes. It is this MUST win this game today attitude that I certainly hope the team do not have.

The only time an entire season rests on 2 games is when you're 2 games back with 2 to play.

JB98
07-29-2011, 02:12 PM
I've seen at least a handful of Cub fans these past few days on my Facebook news feed comment about how they had to get their Red Sox shirt out for this weekend.

I remember getting off the Red Line before a Sox-Boston game in 2005. As we were going up the escalators there to street level, I was yelling at the top of my lungs: "Look at all these Cubbie fans! Look at 'em all! I really like all these brand new Curt Schilling T-Shirts!"

Their mouths were just agape. They were stunned that I was on to them.

Foulke You
07-29-2011, 02:16 PM

The local Red Cub fans are the absolute worst. The ones who put on their "B" cap and get on the red line from Addison to our park when the Red Sox roll into town. It's their "adopted" AL team. I'll never understand that bizarre behavior.

hi im skot
07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
The local Red Cub fans are the absolute worst. The ones who put on their "B" cap and get on the red line from Addison to our park when the Red Sox roll into town. It's their "adopted" AL team. I'll never understand that bizarre behavior.

To be fair, there are plenty of White Sox fans who claim to cheer for the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds and Pirates...all NL Central teams.

Gavin
07-29-2011, 02:39 PM
The facts are out there..
Red Sox pitchers make kids in the stands cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKWl41EsD4&feature=player_embedded

Hitmen77
07-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Just another team and another series. The Red Sox are nothing special.

I'm there on Sunday for Frank. Maybe I'll give the Fisk statue some props just to piss off the Carmine fans.

:ozzie
When I see those two words in the same sentence, I think of Sox fans.:redneck

GoGoCrede
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
But they're not. Go to stubhub. Good below face tickets.

I did, but they're still a bit above my budget even if they're below face.

all*star quentin
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
I did, but they're still a bit above my budget even if they're below face.

Did you post in the Ticket Exchange, that you are looking for 1?

guillensdisciple
07-29-2011, 06:14 PM
The facts are out there..
Red Sox pitchers make kids in the stands cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKWl41EsD4&feature=player_embedded

My favorite is just how boston that announcer sounds. Also that is the most irrational reaction anyone could ever have to receiving a baseball. Still though, if he is that happy about it I am just as happy that he is.

Dan H
07-29-2011, 06:19 PM
To be fair, there are plenty of White Sox fans who claim to cheer for the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds and Pirates...all NL Central teams.

This is true, but it is the Cub fans who claim that whatever Sox do makes no difference and that they even cheer for the Sox when things go very well. Yet I heard no cheerful greetings from Cub fans in 2005.

And this attachment to the Red Sox by Cubs fans is odd. The drought has ended for the Red Sox - twice. Not only that the Red Sox actually went to the WS in '67, '75 and '86. The Cubs have little in common with the Red Sox.

If Cub fans want to cheer for Boston, fine. Their team still stinks and the Red Sox beating the White Sox won't change that. Nothing like a little bitterness.

Woofer
07-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I remember getting off the Red Line before a Sox-Boston game in 2005. As we were going up the escalators there to street level, I was yelling at the top of my lungs: "Look at all these Cubbie fans! Look at 'em all! I really like all these brand new Curt Schilling T-Shirts!"

Their mouths were just agape. They were stunned that I was on to them.

I have a similar story from the 2005 playoff series. After our glorious game 2 win, as we were making our final bathroom break, there were a few Boston fans doing the same. One fan was being particularly annoying, spouting off about how great Boston was, and how great it was to win the WS in 2004. Boston would surely win the next three, he implored. My fellow Sox fans were actually being pretty decent to the guy, until I pointed out that he was wearing a Cubs hat and a Boston jersey. It was funny how quickly the guy turned to the stereotypical Cubs fan crap, going into full attendance attack mode. Luckily, somebody asked him what the attendance was at Wrigley that day. The guy never said another word. :smile:

doublem23
07-29-2011, 11:43 PM
**** yes

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2011, 01:03 AM
To be fair, there are plenty of White Sox fans who claim to cheer for the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds and Pirates...all NL Central teams.I like the Cardinals and Pirates, but the difference is that I never put on their gear and went to Wrigley.

doublem23
07-30-2011, 01:34 AM
I like the Cardinals and Pirates, but the difference is that I never put on their gear and went to Wrigley.

bingo

PeteWard
07-30-2011, 04:21 AM
I like the Cardinals and Pirates, but the difference is that I never put on their gear and went to Wrigley.

I like the Brewers as my two team but it's geographic and I even liked them in old days when they were in the AL. But never did I wear their stuff.

This identification with Boston as the other "loveable loser" is weird. Plus you NEVER heard this from Boston fans pre-21st century. They were considered successful with all of their div. titles and pennants, even though they did not win a WS. I was always jealous of them and hated them during the 70s and into the 80s when the White Sox could not get over the hump and into a series and they fielded those tough Fisk, Rice, Lynn Yaz Evans teams.

The stuff that came later is Bill Simmons & RS Nation manufactured -- that aren't we cursed & don't you love us bull****. White Sox fans just cursed its team crappiness, which was way worse, and made no myths out of supporting bad teams. We hated it. And hoped the Bears would do better. They usually didn't.

How Cub fans identify with Boston is beyond bizarre.

Fenway
07-30-2011, 06:11 AM
:whiteflag:

Good thing the White Sox are not in the AL East :tongue:

Red Sox fans don't understand Cubs fans worship either - the one NL team that Red Sox fans feel some kinship for is Philadelphia. It had been Nos Amours.

DSpivack
07-30-2011, 10:23 AM

Also, I've liked the Cardinals since I was little not because they were a rival of the Cubs, but because I spent several weeks each summer in Springfield, IL where my dad lived, and we would often make trips to St. Louis to see the Cardinals. I remember those weekends fondly, with great Italian food on The Hill, a Cardinals game featuring Ray Lankford, Ron Gant, Ozzie Smith, and others, and delicious frozen custard at Ted Drewes after the game. :cool:

Gavin
07-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Tim Wakefield sucks, is old, and the Sox only scored 3 runs off of him.
:mad:

I guess I'll be happy because they "Won".

Post of the week

FielderJones
07-30-2011, 11:26 AM

You don't look very happy.

Why is "Won" in scare quotes? Do some games count less in the standings?

Gavin Floyd is a .519 career pitcher, .500 this year, a bit over average, and he shut down the most potent lineup in MLB. If you're unhappy, how are Red Cubs fans feeling this morning?

I just don't understand some Sox fans.

CHISOXFAN13
07-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Post of the week

Did you even watch the game? I haven't seen the knuckler dance like that in years.

Gavin
07-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Anyone think that Stubhub will work for Sunday's game? I'd really like to go to a game this series and Sunday would be tops.

doublem23
07-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Anyone think that Stubhub will work for Sunday's game? I'd really like to go to a game this series and Sunday would be tops.

Why wouldn't it work? As long as you have a printer and can email the tickets to yourself, it usually takes less than 1 hours to have them in your hand.

Prices seem high, still, though. Just checked for tomorrow's game, and you can find seats in the Lower Bowl and bleachers, but $40 is still the low.

amsteel
07-30-2011, 06:17 PM

I kinda doubt it since it's Thomas' day. Prices took a dive for Friday (<20$ for lower reserve) but not for today's game.

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2011, 06:25 PM
How were the Sawx fans there yesterday?

DumpJerry
07-30-2011, 06:50 PM
In about the amount of time you took to type this post, you could have checked out StubHub. It's free to browse there.