PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie/Rasmus/LaRussa/Marlins

dwalteroo
07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Heard a few suggestions that part of the reason the Sox didn't get Rasmus is that Jerry secretly wants LaRussa to manage the team next year if Ozzie indeed leaves for the Marlins. Phil Rogers suggests the same. I can't gauge how likely it is that Ozzie would actually leave for FL though. Is McKeon actually sticking around next year? Any insights/thoughts?

It seems like a lot to suggest the Sox wouldn't get Rasmus for such a reason, although obviously he and LaRussa aren't even cordial. I think KW wanted Frasor and to move those contracts the whole time.

Fenway
07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Toronto paper has quotes from Rasmus' dad

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/27/rasmus-dad-blasts-tony--la-russa

It is almost a lock Ozzie will be in Miami next year...he would be a great fit in that market as the new park will be easy for the Hispanic fans to get to.

Heard a few suggestions that part of the reason the Sox didn't get Rasmus is that Jerry secretly wants LaRussa to manage the team next year if Ozzie indeed leaves for the Marlins. Phil Rogers suggests the same. I can't gauge how likely it is that Ozzie would actually leave for FL though. Is McKeon actually sticking around next year? Any insights/thoughts?

It seems like a lot to suggest the Sox wouldn't get Rasmus for such a reason, although obviously he and LaRussa aren't even cordial. I think KW wanted Frasor and to move those contracts the whole time.

doublem23
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't know if that's all true, but I certainly buy into the theory that TLR told Reinsdorf he wouldn't want any part of Rasmus. The two are still close, IIRC.

hi im skot
07-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Bringing aboard Rasmus seems like guaranteed drama for whomever gets him. Based on how much the Sox appear to love bull**** drama, I'm shocked they weren't eager to bring him into the fold.

all*star quentin
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM

It is almost a lock Ozzie will be in Miami next year...he would be a great fit in that market as the new park will be easy for the Hispanic fans to get to.

Make it happen, Jerry :smile:

illinibk
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Wow, his dad is nuts.

Hartman
07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow, how would you like to be a 24 year old up and coming major leaguer, then have to deal with your dad shooting his mouth off in the press and thus get ran out of one of the better teams in the league.

Embarrassing.

The Dude
07-28-2011, 09:17 PM

A Lock??? Dont tease me Fenway!!! :gulp:

Tony would look great in Silver and Black since he missed those colors last time.

Viva Medias B's
07-28-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure I'd want TLR back the Sox dugout.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Anythings possible but you have a lot of individuals and a lot of variables involved for it to take place.

I wouldn't bet on it myself.

Lip

gosox41
07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Anythings possible but you have a lot of individuals and a lot of variables involved for it to take place.

I wouldn't bet on it myself.

Lip

I think Tony is a bigger idiot then Ozzie. I have no respect for him. It goes beyond on the field performance.

Is Mark McGwire a better hitting coach then Greg Walker?

My guess is he would be if steroids were legal.

Bob

Lip Man 1
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Well in fairness to Phil Rogers this isn't the first time speculation has centered around Tony returning.

Right after Bevington the bozo got fired Dave Nightengale, the national baseball writer for The Sporting News, had a full page story (I want to say October / November 1997) in that magazine that stated the following:

1. LaRussa met with Reinsdorf at a Chicago restaurant and agreed to a multiyear, multi million dollar deal to return.

2. Dave Duncan was also returning as pitching coach with a multi year contract.

3. Reinsdorf then ran the deal by then G.M. Ron Schueler, who strongly objected because LaRussa had made it clear that for him to return, he, not the G.M. would have the final say over roster moves and acquisitions.

4. Schueler was upset because he felt LaRussa was going to ditch his "youth movement" in favor of established vets.

5. Schueler basically told JR, "it's him or me..." and JR changed his mind. That sunk the handshake agreement. The story said Tony had no hard feelings and moved on.

I wish The Sporting News would make their archives available like Sports Illustrated so I could look this one up.

Lip

Fisk Fan
07-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Wow, his dad is a lunatic. How can he possibly think he is a better hitting coach than the currently employeed hitting coach who was most likely a former professional baseball player? The more I read about this douche and his father, the happier I am that we didn't trade for him.

But hey, he did win an Alabama state title, so he probably should be managing in the majors somewhere...

seventyseven
07-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Can't see TLR wanting to manage in the American League again.

SI1020
07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure I'd want TLR back the Sox dugout. I'm sure I wouldn't. He's become too much the diva for me.

SI1020
07-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Wow, his dad is a lunatic. How can he possibly think he is a better hitting coach than the currently employeed hitting coach who was most likely a former professional baseball player? The more I read about this douche and his father, the happier I am that we didn't trade for him.

But hey, he did win an Alabama state title, so he probably should be managing in the majors somewhere... Really? Read the first comment after the article. I think it very well may be closer to the truth.

veeter
07-29-2011, 08:45 AM

But hey, he did win an Alabama state title, so he probably should be managing in the majors somewhere...Don't assume a coach or manager is qualified because he does it at the major league level. There are some extremely great high school, junior college, and college coaches out there. And I'd be willing to bet they could coach circles around the White Sox current group.

WhiffleBall
07-29-2011, 09:04 AM

But hey, he did win an Alabama state title, so he probably should be managing in the majors somewhere...

Tony Rasmus definitely has some credibility. He coached a HS team that won a National Championship (not just state). That is pretty impressive. Not the equivalent of a World Series for sure but still impressive. That said it's hard to know what or who to believe. If LaRussa was against Colby from the beginning then his dad is right. If the dad is an overbearing micromanager of his son then LaRussa is right. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. LaRussa may have not of been on board with Colby at one time but solid play would have changed that. The dad probably stepped in when Colby struggled thinking that he knew how to fix his swing better than any MLB coach.

As far as the Sox getting Rasmus it all comes down to how De Aza plays. If he ends up playing worse then Rios then we should have traded for Colby. If De Aza does well then Frasor/Shneider and the salary relief will end up being the better choice unless Colby turns out to be a superstar.

doublem23
07-29-2011, 09:32 AM
How do they figure who is the high school national champion? I honestly have no idea.

Fisk Fan
07-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Really? Read the first comment after the article. I think it very well may be closer to the truth.

I focused more on the 2nd comment after the article than the first. Something about last to arrive, first to leave, etc. Obviously these comments have little validity since we don't know if any of it is truth, let alone who the people are making those comments. Bottom line is that we've heard these stories more often than not as these younger players are handed everything in life and have a sense of entitlement, rather than having to earn anything. I just don't think that his father needs to add his .02 cents every time something happens with his son and criticize a manager with a proven track record and 25+ years of mlb experience.

Don't assume a coach or manager is qualified because he does it at the major league level. There are some extremely great high school, junior college, and college coaches out there. And I'd be willing to bet they could coach circles around the White Sox current group.

I understand this point completely. Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you blow. I happen to agree with you regarding many lower level coaches being able to do more with our current roster, though.

Tony Rasmus definitely has some credibility. He coached a HS team that won a National Championship (not just state). That is pretty impressive. Not the equivalent of a World Series for sure but still impressive. That said it's hard to know what or who to believe. If LaRussa was against Colby from the beginning then his dad is right. If the dad is an overbearing micromanager of his son then LaRussa is right. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. LaRussa may have not of been on board with Colby at one time but solid play would have changed that. The dad probably stepped in when Colby struggled thinking that he knew how to fix his swing better than any MLB coach.

As far as the Sox getting Rasmus it all comes down to how De Aza plays. If he ends up playing worse then Rios then we should have traded for Colby. If De Aza does well then Frasor/Shneider and the salary relief will end up being the better choice unless Colby turns out to be a superstar.

This is most likely the case. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, it has caused many issues in the clubhouse and affected the team as a whole. Too much focus is placed on one player and not the team. Frankly, I could give two ****s about the Cardinals and their problems. We have enough problems of our own. I just think his father needs to shut his trap and let his kid play and the coaches coach.....

illinibk
07-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Out buddy Phil is back at it again:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0729-rogers-tony-la-russa-whit20110729,0,1369039.column

Will he ever credit WSI for any of his stories/speculation?