PDA

View Full Version : Caution: Tinkering


Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 01:08 AM
From the Trib:

Manuel said he plans to rest Lofton on Friday and start Tony Graffanino at third base.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the Trib:

i have been wondering if lofton hammy is still not completely healed?

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2002, 02:24 AM
Does this mean what I think it does?

Heather the Redbird

RKMeibalane
07-12-2002, 02:52 AM
Why does he need to rest Lofton now. They just had a three-day break for everyone not at the All Star Game to use in order to rest. Manuel never ceases to piss me off. Even when the Sox win, he mananges to turn around and do the one thing he should not be doing. The Sox cannot establish any consistency unless their lineup remains consistent. That means the lineup in question must be used more than once.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Why does he need to rest Lofton now. They just had a three-day break for everyone not at the All Star Game to use in order to rest. Manuel never ceases to piss me off. Even when the Sox win, he mananges to turn around and do the one thing he should not be doing. The Sox cannot establish any consistency unless their lineup remains consistent. That means the lineup in question must be used more than once.

Exactly. If Jerry the Tinkerer needs to rest Lofton's hammy, the game to do it is the one immediately following the all-star break, not Friday's game. Lofton would have gotten a full-week's rest if Manuel did it that way. Instead he benches him Friday? This makes no sense.

WHAT AN IDIOT! The team wins in impressive fashion, and the first thing he wants to do is start ****ing with the lineup again!

It's no wonder the players have stopped performing for this numbskull. Nothing he says or does has a rational thought behind it.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Exactly. If Jerry the Tinkerer needs to rest Lofton's hammy, the game to do it is the one immediately following the all-star break, not Friday's game. Lofton would have gotten a full-week's rest if Manuel did it that way. Instead he benches him Friday? This makes no sense.

WHAT AN IDIOT! The team wins in impressive fashion, and the first thing he wants to do is start ****ing with the lineup again!

It's no wonder the players have stopped performing for this numbskull. Nothing he says or does has a rational thought behind it.

I think resting is a term Manuel throws around when he means that player can't hit lefties. Jose will also be "resting" tonight vs. the lefty.

DrWatson27
07-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Please keep in mind that JM has had a few days off the toss around all the great possiablities to boost the Sox offense, this means BIG trouble!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I think resting is a term Manuel throws around when he means that player can't hit lefties. Jose will also be "resting" tonight vs. the lefty.

Is there any evidence Lofton is struggling against lefties anymore than he is righties? I know Valentin has a long history of losing power and average against southpaws. However in Lofton's case, hasn't it always been either he's hot or he's not--regardless of who is pitching?

Whatever the situation, for weeks everyone has been pointing to Lofton's sore hammy as the reason he has struggled the past two months. If you're going to rest that sort of muscle pull, you do it across several uninterrupted days--not one day on, and one day off. Last night Lofton played one of his best games of the summer. Benching him tonight to bone up the lineup for a lefty opponent is beyond stupid.

raul12
07-12-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Benching him tonight to bone up the lineup for a lefty opponent is beyond stupid.

beyond stupid = JM - nardi - KW - JR^2
loser = KW - nardi
greedy bastard = square root of JR
lost = JM + nardi

solve for JM.

CerberusWG
07-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the Trib:



People are suprised?

dougs78
07-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by raul12


beyond stupid = JM - nardi - KW - JR^2
loser = KW - nardi
greedy bastard = square root of JR
lost = JM + nardi

solve for JM.

According to my calculations...

JM= Nardi + KW + Greedy Bastard + Beyond Stupid


(please check my algebra, I haven't had that subject in about 10 years) :D:

raul12
07-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by dougs78


According to my calculations...

JM= Nardi + KW + Greedy Bastard + Beyond Stupid


(please check my algebra, I haven't had that subject in about 10 years) :D:

you can further simplify the equation by using the second and fourth equations, hence the most simplified form of the equation is:

JM = (loser + twice lost + greedy bastard + beyond stupid) / 3

(i hadn't worked it out until now.) i'll still give you a :).

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Is there any evidence Lofton is struggling against lefties anymore than he is righties? However in Lofton's case, hasn't it always been either he's hot or he's not--regardless of who is pitching?

I'm not trying to defend the move. Just offering an opinion as to why I believe he is sitting. Anywho, I looked up some numbers on Lofton.

2002 (road): .221 AVG, 22K, 32H, 145AB.
2002 vs. Detroit: .333 AVG, 6K, 17H, 51AB.
2002 vs. Lefties: .226 AVG, 7K, 14H, 62AB.
Career vs. tonight's starter Mark Redman: .000 AVG, 2K, 0H, 6AB.

ma-gaga
07-12-2002, 02:10 PM
8 variables 4 formulas. What are you trying to do?

Here's what I have so far:
JM = loser + greedy bastard ^4 + beyond stupid
JM = lost - nardi

Either eliminate 4 variables, or add formulas. :)

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
8 variables 4 formulas. What are you trying to do?

Here's what I have so far:
JM = loser + greedy bastard ^4 + beyond stupid
JM = lost - nardi

Either eliminate 4 variables, or add formulas. :)

Agreed. Lets add more formulas, then we'll send it to the players association and see if they can factor our formulas into the luxury tax debates!

Foulke You
07-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Why does he need to rest Lofton now. They just had a three-day break for everyone not at the All Star Game to use in order to rest. Manuel never ceases to piss me off. Even when the Sox win, he mananges to turn around and do the one thing he should not be doing. The Sox cannot establish any consistency unless their lineup remains consistent. That means the lineup in question must be used more than once.

I agree completely. What's more maddening about Manuel is his wish to "rest" players right when they start to get hot. K-Lo has a huge game yesterday and he will sit tonight. Liefer had 2 hot games in a row including a game winning 3 run HR and he hasn't played since. Ever heard of riding the hot hand Jerry?

RKMeibalane
07-12-2002, 06:37 PM
:jerry

"I know a great deal about 'riding the hot hand.' I mean, there's no hotter player on this team than my long lost son, Royce Clayton."

:hitless

"Daddy, my average is up to .225. Can I get ice cream, now?"

:jerry

"Sure, son. I'll take you to Baskin Robins as soon as the game is over."