PDA

View Full Version : Should Viciedo replace Lillibridge?

MikeKreevich
07-28-2011, 08:55 AM
With the addition of De Aza, Lillibridge seams unnecessary on this roster. When De Aza starts, Rios becomes your late inning pinch runner or defensive replacement. De Aza can be your lead off, allowing Viceido to play corner outfield and give our starters rest. What do you think?

kravdog
07-28-2011, 09:00 AM
With the addition of De Aza, Lillibridge seams unnecessary on this roster. When De Aza starts, Rios becomes your late inning pinch runner or defensive replacement. De Aza can be your lead off, allowing Viceido to play corner outfield and give our starters rest. What do you think?

Viciedo will be up once tcq is traded and he will play every day...

hawkjt
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
If they trade Carlos to get Dayan in right field,Viciedo better lead the league in extra base hits in August and Sept or it will be a mistake...no pressure kid,just go out and carry the team like Carlos can.

Bring up Dayan,when he is healthy,and put Lilly on waivers. I liked Lilly when he was spurting at the plate,but that lasted about 3 weeks. Now,anyone with a breaking ball can strike him out at will. Nice kid,but a dime a dozen player.

The Immigrant
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Viciedo will be up as soon as his thumb is healed, regardless of what happens with Quentin.

Irishsox1
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Release or trade Rios first, then go from there.

Harry Chappas
07-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Release or trade Rios first, then go from there.

On what planet would any GM trade for Rios and his albatross contract? Is it the same planet where a GM/ownership will eat $30 million?

I don't like the guy either but I can understand why the Sox don't just release him. Since they're paying his sorry arse, they might as well cross their fingers and hope he can put it together like he's done in the past.

doublem23
07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
On what planet would any GM trade for Rios and his albatross contract? Is it the same planet where a GM/ownership will eat $30 million?

FWIW, people said the same thing about Vernon Wells

blandman
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
FWIW, people said the same thing about Vernon Wells

He had an above average year, albeit for the first time in a while, which helped increase his value. Rios' value is at an all time low, and now he's not even playing.

At the same time, releasing him would be stupid too. You'd have to pay all $30 million up front, and it's not like he currently isn't a very good 4th outfielder option. Good defender and has speed on the basepaths.

Hitmen77
07-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Viciedo will be up as soon as his thumb is healed, regardless of what happens with Quentin.

I thought Ozzie said he doesn't need him or know how he would fit him into the Sox lineup.

Tragg
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
They should try to trade him first. Teams are looking for utility players. Better teams may put up a little something as he'll be plucked before they can pick him.

It might just be De Aza as the odd man out

eriqjaffe
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
On what planet would any GM trade for Rios and his albatross contract?Hopefully the same world where a GM would claim Rios on waivers. :rolleyes:

While I would love to see Viciedo on the big-league roster, I don't think Lillibridge is the guy to go. He can play pretty much anywhere defensively - maybe not well at third base, but Viciedo is a terrible third baseman as well.

Of the guys on the 25-man roster currently, I'd think that Rios or Vizquel should be the odd man out.

soxgirl617
07-28-2011, 11:11 AM

No.

Perhaps I will have a different opinion if and when De Aza and/or Viciedo demonstrate they can play consistently at a major league level. Unless or until that happens, no.

(I'm not saying Vicieno won't be able to consistently play at a major league level---just saying we don't know that yet.)

GoSox2K3
07-28-2011, 11:31 AM

I can see this happening, but UGH!!!

I'd like to see what Viciedo can do for us, but not at the expense of TCQ.

Based on KW's recent track record for trading away talent, don't expect us to get anyone decent for Quentin either.

ALL IN!!!!!

Lamp81
07-28-2011, 11:46 AM

Just like Teahen had to be packaged with Jackson, I could see Kenny making taking Rios a condition of moving a Quentin or a Danks.

Also, Kenny may pull a bad contract for bad contract type trade, a la, Milton Bradley from the Cubs to the Mariners for Carlos Silva. Maybe a change of scenery and coaching philosophies would benefit both players involved.

Hitmen77
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Just like Teahen had to be packaged with Jackson, I could see Kenny making taking Rios a condition of moving a Quentin or a Danks.

Also, Kenny may pull a bad contract for bad contract type trade, a la, Milton Bradley from the Cubs to the Mariners for Carlos Silva. Maybe a change of scenery and coaching philosophies would benefit both players involved.

....and the price of that will be us getting a bucket of balls in exchange for TCQ or Danks.

TDog
07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Lillibridge is a better hitter. He is probably the best pinch-hitter on the team. Lillibridge isn't the dead weight holding down on the 25 man roster.

DSpivack
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Lillibridge is a better hitter. He is probably the best pinch-hitter on the team. Lillibridge isn't the dead weight holding down on the 25 man roster.

He's a fine utility man who might get more PT next year, assuming Vizquel retires. No reason he goes anywhere.

KMcMahon817
07-28-2011, 01:08 PM

There is simply no way this will happen.

Nelfox02
07-28-2011, 01:16 PM

I sure hope not

dumping Edwin to help move Tea bag and his deal for some $$$ relief, okay...

but to get nothing for a player like TCQ or Danks so that the Sox can shed Rios' bad deal and lose less money this year? from a fan (well this fan at least) perspective that would be terrible

JB98
07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
He's a fine utility man who might get more PT next year, assuming Vizquel retires. No reason he goes anywhere.

I agree. There's no way Vizquel should be back on this roster next year. Lillibridge gives you an economical option for a utility spot in 2012.

The Sox can't send Lillibridge down without putting him on waivers, and I'm sure some contender would like his versatility and claim him.

I think it would be wise to keep Lillibridge on the team.

TDog
07-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I agree. There's no way Vizquel should be back on this roster next year. Lillibridge gives you an economical option for a utility spot in 2012.

The Sox can't send Lillibridge down without putting him on waivers, and I'm sure some contender would like his versatility and claim him.

I think it would be wise to keep Lillibridge on the team.

Lillibridge is not an infield defensive replacement. He doesn't replace Vizquel at second or short and certainly not third.

thomas35forever
07-28-2011, 01:42 PM
We need Lillibridge for his glove and Viciedo is hurt right now. I'm fine with what we have at the moment.

DirtySox
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Dayan will be replacing Carlos once he's traded.

#1swisher
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM

I'll start the TCQ Appreciation Thread. :angry:

JB98
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Lillibridge is not an infield defensive replacement. He doesn't replace Vizquel at second or short and certainly not third.

I disagree. Lillibridge is better in the outfield than he is in the infield, but he can play the infield spots also.

Based upon what I've seen this season, Vizquel doesn't belong on the left side of the infield anymore either. That arm isn't what it used to be.

kaufsox
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM

yep, if that is a condition, it will kill a deal.

kittle42
07-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Completely agreed. Was just talking about it being a good idea in What's The Score.

Irishsox1
07-28-2011, 02:34 PM
He had an above average year, albeit for the first time in a while, which helped increase his value. Rios' value is at an all time low, and now he's not even playing.

At the same time, releasing him would be stupid too. You'd have to pay all $30 million up front, and it's not like he currently isn't a very good 4th outfielder option. Good defender and has speed on the basepaths.

Picking up Rios was stupid, playing Rios was stupid, keeping Rios on the bench with his attitude is stupid. Cutting Rios and playing $30 million would be the first smart thing the Sox have done since getting involved with Rios.

kufram
07-28-2011, 02:52 PM
If you want any credibility at all you really have to add teal to the idea of throwing $30 million at a problem.

Crestani
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM

I would feel better about him if he could learn to hit a curve ball..!!

PushinWeight
07-28-2011, 04:21 PM
How about trade Pierre to bring Viciedo up?

He must have some value now after breaking out of his early season slump?

Irishsox1
07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
If you want any credibility at all you really have to add teal to the idea of throwing $30 million at a problem.

Where is the credibility in the White Sox paying Rios $12 Million this year to sit on the bench?

TDog
07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I would feel better about him if he could learn to hit a curve ball..!!

His problem isn't so much hitting a curveball as it is recognizing a curveball. Lillibridge has great mechanics as a hitter. But pitch recognition is a separate skill.

TDog
07-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Where is the credibility in the White Sox paying Rios $12 Million this year to sit on the bench?

Where was the credibility when the Giants were paying $18.5 million to on the bench last year? Zito was not hurt, but not eligible for the postseason. A rookie started Game 4 of the World Series and totally shut down the Rangers.

Winning made the Giants credible, and playing a journeyman centerfielder over a $13.6 million centerfielder relegated to the bench and starting a rookie being paid the minimum over Zito helped them win.

Bench Rios, bench Dunn, win games and the the White Sox would be more credible than they have been for more about four months.

doublem23
07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
His problem isn't so much hitting a curveball as it is recognizing a curveball. Lillibridge has great mechanics as a hitter. But pitch recognition is a separate skill.

It's all about the end result

blandman
07-28-2011, 07:01 PM
How about trade Pierre to bring Viciedo up?

He must have some value now after breaking out of his early season slump?

Unfortunately, none of the current contenders would give value for a leadoff hitter.

russ99
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
They should try to trade him first. Teams are looking for utility players. Better teams may put up a little something as he'll be plucked before they can pick him.

It might just be De Aza as the odd man out

De Aza can't play the infield, so it's one spot between De Aza and Viciedo, unless Frasor is good enough in the pen that we go with one less reliever.

TommyGavinFloyd
07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
No one has said, "Who is Viceido?" What has happened to this place? :(:

Lamp81
07-30-2011, 12:52 AM
I sure hope not

dumping Edwin to help move Tea bag and his deal for some $$$ relief, okay...

but to get nothing for a player like TCQ or Danks so that the Sox can shed Rios' bad deal and lose less money this year? from a fan (well this fan at least) perspective that would be terrible

....and the price of that will be us getting a bucket of balls in exchange for TCQ or Danks.

But with Kenny's track record, the Sox will not just save the money gained by dumping Rios. Kenny would spend every last dime of it, and probably a few dimes more.

billyvsox
07-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I say keep Lillibridge as a super sub, pinch runner and defensive replacement. Dump Rios (DFA) and call up Viciedo.

Outfield/DH could look like this

LF Pierre / Viciedo (for Pierre days off)
CF De Aza / Lillibridge (left right platoon?)
RF Quentin / Viciedo (Lilli for defense in late innings)
DH Dunn / Viciedo

That should give Viciedo enough at bats vs lefts and rotate for days off
Lilli still plays vs occasional lefty and on defense

This group of six would be much stronger then the old group that included Rios and Teahan IMO

KMcMahon817
07-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I say keep Lillibridge as a super sub, pinch runner and defensive replacement. Dump Rios (DFA) and call up Viciedo.

Outfield/DH could look like this

LF Pierre / Viciedo (for Pierre days off)
CF De Aza / Lillibridge (left right platoon?)
RF Quentin / Viciedo (Lilli for defense in late innings)
DH Dunn / Viciedo

That should give Viciedo enough at bats vs lefts and rotate for days off
Lilli still plays vs occasional lefty and on defense

This group of six would be much stronger then the old group that included Rios and Teahan IMO

You can't just DFA Rios. He has 39 million left on his contract. If the SOX really don't want him to play, sit him on the bench as the 4th outfielder/pinch runner for the rest of the season and then give him the chance to win his job back next year.

Rios has a ton of talent, and to be honest, I don't think his career is over. If by some Godsend we could trade him (isn't going to happen), by all means go for it, but just releasing him is not a good option.

However, Viciedo needs to find his way on the 25 man. He can DH against lefties (no more 2-75 for Dunn against lefties), and find his way into RF/LF 2 or 3 times a week.

This is why I don't think trading Q would be as terrible as some think. Plug Viciedo into RF against righties, he DH's against lefties. When he DH's Rios plays RF, and Dunn on the Bench. Rios hits LHP better than RHP. But, I don't think Q is going anywhere and who knows if Ozzie would even follow those seemingly easy matchups.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
You can't just DFA Rios. He has 39 million left on his contract. If the SOX really don't want him to play, sit him on the bench as the 4th outfielder/pinch runner for the rest of the season and then give him the chance to win his job back next year.

Rios has a ton of talent, and to be honest, I don't think his career is over. If by some Godsend we could trade him (isn't going to happen), by all means go for it, but just releasing him is not a good option.

However, Viciedo needs to find his way on the 25 man. He can DH against lefties (no more 2-75 for Dunn against lefties), and find his way into RF/LF 2 or 3 times a week.

This is why I don't think trading Q would be as terrible as some think. Plug Viciedo into RF against righties, he DH's against lefties. When he DH's Rios plays RF, and Dunn on the Bench. Rios hits LHP better than RHP. But, I don't think Q is going anywhere and who knows if Ozzie would even follow those seemingly easy matchups.

Unloading Dunn solves the problem. Viciedo or Q becomes the DH, and you improve the hitting without affecting the defense.

Brian26
07-30-2011, 11:44 AM

It's Viciedo, not Viceido. I'll fix the title.

MikeKreevich
07-30-2011, 01:03 PM
It's Viciedo, not Viceido. I'll fix the title.

Thank You Brian.
I would love to see an outfield featuring Viciedo and Quentin.

blandman
07-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Thank You Brian.
I would love to see an outfield featuring Viciedo and Quentin.

That might be worse defensively than Quentin Pierre

MikeKreevich
07-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Probably not. But man, what power!