PDA

View Full Version : New Pitching Philosophy Explained

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 12:06 AM
From the Trib:

Dan Wright (6-8) earned the victory with eight innings of four-hit ball in front of 16,791 fans at Comerica Park.

He walked three, struck out four and hit a batter as Sox pitchers have begun to deploy a different philosophy on the mound.

"It has only been one game since we have been doing that," catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. said. "We changed that [philosophy] in the fourth inning in the last game before the break. It is basically what the Atlanta Braves do. They pitch away, away, away. Then show [a pitch] inside, and then pitch away, away, away. We are going to focus on the same thing because we are getting burned on a lot of pitches on the middle—in. Home run pitches. And we shouldn't be burned like that."

WinningUgly!
07-12-2002, 12:20 AM
We are going to focus on the same thing because we are getting burned on a lot of pitches on the middle—in. Home run pitches. And we shouldn't be burned like that."

Hmmn...cutting down on the big fat meatballs down the middle of the plate? It might just be crazy enough to work! :D:

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the Trib:

if they don't have that outside corner going for them, there is going be a lot of walks.

WinningUgly!
07-12-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
if they don't have that outside corner going for them, there is going be a lot of walks.

True...our guys won't get pitches 3-5 inches off the plate called for strikes as often as Maddux & Glavine do. Take it when it's there, though.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

True...our guys won't get pitches 3-5 inches off the plate called for strikes as often as Maddux & Glavine do. Take it when it's there, though. you got that right, however isn't that what a good pitching philosophy suppose to be. pitching to keep the batters off guard. running high fastball, inside, outside low etc.....

Iguana775
07-12-2002, 07:44 AM
you got that right, however isn't that what a good pitching philosophy suppose to be. pitching to keep the batters off guard. running high fastball, inside, outside low etc.....

you mean pitching over the fat part of the plate all the time ISN'T a good idea??!! when did this happen??

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
you mean pitching over the fat part of the plate all the time ISN'T a good idea??!! when did this happen??

LMAO! With the exception of Buehrle, none of our guys have enough control to avoid tossing meatballs.

:ritchie
"When I was with the Pirates organization..."

:ohno
"Omigod, no..."

Soxboyrob
07-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's start using a new pitching philosophy whereby we throw it on the outside and inside corner, but mostly the outside. And then, let's announce to the whole freaking world via the tv and print media exactly what our secret pitching strategy is going to be so that they can all start practicing hitting pitches on the outside corner.

why are the Sox telling everyone who'll listen how they're going to pitch everyone outside? The only way this is a good idea is if they're actually going to secretly pitch them inside.

Sad
07-12-2002, 08:05 AM
while they're at it-
why dont they just tell the opposition what every upcoming PITCH is going to be? Why would you tell the media and put this on your website???

"ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS! WE'LL BE PITCHING AWAY ..."

sheesh...let the opposition figure out for themselves you've changed strategy since the last series they faced you!

some things never change

steff
07-12-2002, 08:31 AM
WinningUgly!... OMG... I saw your tag and I started laughing so loud and uncontrollably that I drew a crowd at my office!!
We all say thank you :D:

Kilroy
07-12-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Sad
while they're at it-
why dont they just tell the opposition what every upcoming PITCH is going to be? Why would you tell the media and put this on your website???

"ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS! WE'LL BE PITCHING AWAY ..."

sheesh...let the opposition figure out for themselves you've changed strategy since the last series they faced you!

some things never change

Hey, Schilling told A-Rod that he was gonna throw him only fastballs in the all-star game, did it, and A-Rod still got sat down on 3 straight pitches. Also, teams that played the Packers in the late 60's would tell you that 3 of 4 plays in a set of downs run by the Packers offense would be a power sweep. In other words, they knew it was coming. They still couldn't stop it.

ma-gaga
07-12-2002, 08:42 AM
Yeah, but you are talking about one of the top 5 pitchers in all of MLB, and one of the most dominating offenses in the NFL.

We're talking about Todd Ritchie here. Heck, maybe it'll work. Nothing else has. :D:

I'd go with Kermits' prediction, 'it doesn't matter what the philosophy is, in twelve games they'll go back to what it was before.'

Kilroy
07-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
We're talking about Todd Ritchie here. Heck, maybe it'll work. Nothing else has. :D:

Hell, hitters have been teeing off on Ritchie when they DON'T KNOW what's coming. I bet now that they think they do, Ritchie will become unhittable.

****, I can't even type that with a straight face...

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 09:06 AM
i haven't really thought about the advertising of the new concept of pitching, but you are right about the stupidity of it. how is that going to help.

Randar68
07-12-2002, 09:50 AM
i haven't really thought about the advertising of the new concept of pitching, but you are right about the stupidity of it. how is that going to help.

Plain and simple, this philosophy won't work regularly for anyone but Buehrle.

They need to pitch INSIDE, not outside! Wright, Ritche, Graland, and Glover are not Millwood, Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux.

I can see it already. 2 weeks from now, Garland is back to nibbling the corners.....great....

DrWatson27
07-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

I'd go with Kermits' prediction, 'it doesn't matter what the philosophy is, in twelve games they'll go back to what it was before.'

12 games?? I wouldn't even give it that many! Remember benched indefinatly=2 days so new pitching philosophy=3 games, maybe 4!

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I can see it already. 2 weeks from now, Garland is back to nibbling the corners.....great.... wasn't it that, that got him in trouble in the first place?

Iguana775
07-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's start using a new pitching philosophy whereby we throw it on the outside and inside corner, but mostly the outside. And then, let's announce to the whole freaking world via the tv and print media exactly what our secret pitching strategy is going to be so that they can all start practicing hitting pitches on the outside corner.

why are the Sox telling everyone who'll listen how they're going to pitch everyone outside? The only way this is a good idea is if they're actually going to secretly pitch them inside.

i dont think it is too bad. if our coaches can see that this is the Braves philosophy, they everyone in the league must know this. they are trying to pitch more like the braves, which i see as a good thing. as long as they dont go away from throwing inside to keep the hitter honest, i dont see much of a problem.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 01:07 PM
wasn't it that, that got him in trouble in the first place?

Yes it was. I'm pretty sure it was Kip's as well. Everyone except our GM knows it's time for Nardi to go away.