PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Jackson traded to Cards for Colby Rasmus

chisoxjtrain
07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/6808471/st-louis-cardinals-trade-colby-rasmus-toronto-blue-jays-multi-player-trade

BleacherBandit
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I love how we were supposed to get Rasmus (according to rumors on WSI) and the Blue Jays have turned around and done just that with one of our players.

:angry:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I love how we were supposed to get Rasmus (according to rumors on WSI) and the Blue Jays have turned around and done just that with one of our players.

:angry:

But according to the people on ESPN, we got Frasor, which filled a position of dramatic weakness for us, don't cha know.

spongyfungy
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
It was a salary dump. Cards had no desire to take Teahen 7.2 million remaining on his deal. I think Frasor is on a 1 year deal and has about 1.3 million left on it.

PorkChopExpress
07-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Toronto also gave up a lot more in addition to Jackson. It's not like they just flipped Jackson for Rasmus.

SoxNation05
07-27-2011, 06:00 PM
****ty thread title for sure.

The Dude
07-27-2011, 06:04 PM
this is a horrible thread title and not true at all

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 06:29 PM
this is a horrible thread title and not true at all

How is it not true?

PorkChopExpress
07-27-2011, 06:37 PM
How is it not true?

It was an eight player trade. Not Jackson for Rasmus. As I understand it, the Blue Jays got Colby Rasmus, Trever Miller, Brian Tallet and P.J. Walters from the Cardinals for Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel, Corey Patterson and three players to be named later or cash. So the thread title is somewhat misleading, like the Jays just got Jackson from us and flipped him for Rasmus straight up.

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
It was an eight player trade. Not Jackson for Rasmus. As I understand it, the Blue Jays got Colby Rasmus, Trever Miller, Brian Tallet and P.J. Walters from the Cardinals for Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel, Corey Patterson and three players to be named later or cash. So the thread title is somewhat misleading, like the Jays just got Jackson from us and flipped him for Rasmus straight up.

Jackson and Rasmus were the name players on each side.

chisoxjtrain
07-27-2011, 06:43 PM

At the time, it was just reported as Jackson for Rasmus. Sorry for the confusion.

TDog
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Toronto also gave up a lot more in addition to Jackson. It's not like they just flipped Jackson for Rasmus.

The Blue Jays gave up more than the Sox had to give. In theory, it's possible that the Sox could have packaged Rios and Thornton along with Jackson, but even if that would have been agreeable to the Cardinals, those are three big contracts. Jackson becomes a free agent at the end of the season, but with Puljos coming up for free agency, Rios would be a commitment the Cardinals don't need.

It wasn't a matter of the White Sox not having prospects. The Cardinals were not looking for prospects.

What I find odd about this deal is that Rasmus could be a young Alex Rios, talent-wise and underachieving-wise. Rasmus has underachieved with the Cardinals, where he has the tag of being uncoachable. I find it odd because the Blue Jays is where Rios started out.

PeteWard
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Lots of StL fans on various boards saying they were glad to get rid of the "head case" and his "meddling" father.

Sounds like someone who would be popular on this board if the Sox got him.

sox68
07-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Let's see what happens, Rasmus looks alot like Nick Swisher at this point in his career , I dont understand all the hype

Scottiehaswheels
07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Lots of StL fans on various boards saying they were glad to get rid of the "head case" and his "meddling" father.

Sounds like someone who would be popular on this board if the Sox got him.
His dad can't be a worse hitting coach than what we already have. :shrug:

TDog
07-27-2011, 11:12 PM
His dad can't be a worse hitting coach than what we already have. :shrug:

Nick Swisher's dad was.