PDA

View Full Version : Farmio

Jerry_Manuel
07-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Found this to be funny in the game notes:

Notes: Chicago broadcaster Ed Farmer complained to Rich Shook, the official scorer, about Magee's hit in the fifth inning . ... Thomas broke an 0-for-19 slide with his RBI hit. ... Ordonez snapped an 0-for-15 slump with an infield single in the sixth. ... Halter extended his hitting streak to eight games.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Found this to be funny in the game notes:

what was he complaining about?

DrCrawdad
07-12-2002, 01:56 AM
Farmio was complaining that it was an error when at first the official score keeper ruled it a hit. At that moment it was significant since it was the first hit that Wright gave up, but then he promptly gave up a triple. So either way, it was the end of his premature bid for a no-no.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Farmio was complaining that it was an error when at first the official score keeper ruled it a hit. At that moment it was significant since it was the first hit that Wright gave up, but then he promptly gave up a triple. So either way, it was the end of his premature bid for a no-no. oh thanks, the way i read it was that he was complaining about mags hit.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Farmio was complaining that it was an error when at first the official score keeper ruled it a hit. At that moment it was significant since it was the first hit that Wright gave up, but then he promptly gave up a triple. So either way, it was the end of his premature bid for a no-no.

That's funny. Farmer has been complaining all season about hits awarded the other team's hitters on plays that should have been ruled errors by Clayton. Rooney chimes right in, too. Niether of them think much of Clayton's stellar fielding percentage. They've been vocal about it for months. Certainly I'm not the only one here that has heard this?

Why hasn't Farmer ever tracked down the Comiskey official scorer? He's complained more times about that guy's rulings than anyone else.

Soxboyrob
07-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Niether of them think much of Clayton's stellar fielding percentage. They've been vocal about it for months. Certainly I'm not the only one here that has heard this?

His hitting usually drives me nuts but I still can't complain in any way about his fielding.

2nd in the league in Range Factor
2nd in the league in Zone Rating
2nd in the league in fielding percentage
2nd in the league in double plays turned

I don't know what the guy has to do to impress his critics from a defensive standpoint, other than to be first in all of the aforementioned categories. Even then, I think he'd have the same people complaining about his range and arm, despite the fact that those issues actually come out in the wash in the computation of the player's range factor.

raul12
07-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

His hitting usually drives me nuts but I still can't complain in any way about his fielding.

I don't know what the guy has to do to impress his critics from a defensive standpoint, other than to be first in all of the aforementioned categories. Even then, I think he'd have the same people complaining about his range and arm, despite the fact that those issues actually come out in the wash in the computation of the player's range factor.

doesn't CLee have similar statistics, even though we ALL know he sucks at defense?--i'm too lazy to look it up myself. k-layton's fielding percentage should be much lower--he's had so many should-be errors, it's unbelievable--especially when he had that "error-less" streak even though we all know that he made at least 2 or 3 that i can count off the top of my head. if valentin had made any of those types of plays, i'm sure you'd be all over his ass for making an error.

when a pitcher is pitching a no-no (even though it was early), the benefit of the doubt should go to the pitcher. that ball should have been ruled an error. any money says even if the game was at comiskey, our official scorer would have ruled it a hit too. never would we want to point out the fact that playing this scrub is a bad idea....

steff
07-12-2002, 09:28 AM

Clayton could bat .399, hit 40 hr's, and have 125 rbi's and I'd still think he sucks :D:
He's not a team player. Whines MORE than Frank. Pouts when he doesn't get his way. And is the FIRST to comment about a clubhouse matter to the media. He needs to have his sissy a$$ kicked! :angry: Hmm.. lemme call and see if my grama wants to take a little ride to Detroit this weekend...

Soxboyrob
07-12-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by raul12

doesn't CLee have similar statistics, even though we ALL know he sucks at defense.................if valentin had made any of those types of plays, i'm sure you'd be all over his ass for making an error.

..../COLOR]

I don't know about Lee, there are a lot less balls hit to the outfield and I've always had a hard time really analyzing an outfielder's defense by looking at stats due to the lack of a really good sample size. You can best judge an outfielder, IMO, by closely watching him play a half of a season or so and tossing stats out the window. The better SS's and 2nd basemen are almost always near the top of the fldg percentage and range factor list on a yearly basis.

And as for Valentin, I like him and would not be all over him at all for making errors. I might be all over Manuel, however, if Jose kept making errors at SS but was continually being sent out there on a daily basis.

Soxboyrob
07-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by steff3603

He's not a team player. Whines MORE than Frank. Pouts when he doesn't get his way. And is the FIRST to comment about a clubhouse matter to the media. He needs to have his sissy a$$ kicked!

Steff, I don't think you'll find anyone to argue any of these points with you, except for maybe Julie Sweika on the Score and Hawk Harrelson. Even guys that like his defense think he's a bit of a prick.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2002, 11:32 AM

Sorry, SBR. Fish ain't bitin' on this one. If you have an issue with how Farmer and Rooney characterize Royce's "stellar" fielding percentage, take it up with them. I'm simply pointing out that nothing that happened last night was out of the ordinary for anyone who has been listening to the Sox radiocasts the past several months.

If Farmer has so much to say about Detroit's official scorer, why doesn't he show some real stones and take up his beef with the putz at Comiskey Park, too? He's been whining about that guy all season.

Soxboyrob
07-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Sorry, SBR. Fish ain't bitin' on this one. If you have an issue with how Farmer and Rooney characterize Royce's "stellar" fielding percentage, take it up with them.

Damn, I thought I had you.
I actually listen to the radiocast a lot and haven't really noticed those two saying much about the official scoring. I certainly have heard Hawk bitch and moan on countless occasions about various scoring decisions. Usually, Hawk is trying to have a Clayton error overturned....and has had much success in doing so I might add. I don't know...at this point, I think Royce's defense is the furthest thing from what's ailing this team right now. How about Royce' lack of hitting, OBP or strike zone judgement, not to mention the Sammy Sosa homerun swing in all situations.

OfficerKarkovice
07-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
He needs to have his sissy a$$ kicked! :angry: Hmm.. lemme call and see if my grama wants to take a little ride to Detroit this weekend...

LOL...between your grandma and Daver throwing rocks Royce should have his hands full. :smile:

steff
07-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

LOL...between your grandma and Daver throwing rocks Royce should have his hands full. :smile:

She may be old.. but she's got one hell of a left hook!! :D: