PDA

View Full Version : Late Nights in Atlanta

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Last night's game ended well after midnight, as storms delayed the game's start. Pittsburgh topped the Braves 3-1.

Tonight, the game is tied at 3... in the 16th inning!

PalehosePlanet
07-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Last night's game ended well after midnight, as storms delayed the game's start. Pittsburgh topped the Braves 3-1.

Tonight, the game is tied at 3... in the 16th inning!

At least with it being so late the humidity level has probably dropped to 95%.

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 12:45 AM
At least with it being so late the humidity level has probably dropped to 95%.

78 degrees currently with a 69 degree dew point, thus the humidity is 74%, FWIW. :tongue:

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Atlanta+GA+30315

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Bottom 18.

Crazy game, for several innings now you could hear one young girl constantly yelling, "Let's Go Pirates!" Chip said that she is sitting in the LF bleachers.

There's another rather vocal group of teenage (or young twentysomethings, I can't tell) Brave fans that the camera has often been panning to, who have been standing and clapping for awhile now, as well.

Obviously not many are left at Turner Field, the clock reading almost 1:30 in the morning.

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 01:32 AM
19!

thomas35forever
07-27-2011, 01:33 AM
19th inning? Jesus.

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Runners on 2b and 3b with 1 out, ground ball to 3B, throw home looks like it will easily beat the runner at 3B. The runner didn't even have a chance at the plate, yet was called safe.

Absolutely horrible call and inexcusable from the ump.

Braves "win."

DirtySox
07-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Brutal.

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Brutal.

As Buster Olney put it, I think he may have been tagged out twice before stepping on the plate, if he ever actually did touch the plate.

"@Buster_ESPN (https://twitter.com/#%21/Buster_ESPN) Buster Olney
At the moment he called Lugo safe, had Lugo actually touched the plate, after being tagged out twice?

https://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/96096931889164288

chisoxjtrain
07-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Are you ****ing kidding me?

1Vcq8xZHbDc

ComiskeyBrewer
07-27-2011, 03:29 AM
wow. That was absolutely horrible. Even from the Umps view(which appeared to be perfect), i don't see how you call that safe. :o:

PeteWard
07-27-2011, 04:31 AM
wow. That was absolutely horrible. Even from the Umps view(which appeared to be perfect), i don't see how you call that safe. :o:

The ump said he thought the swipe tag missed the runner. He was wrong.

soxfan2504
07-27-2011, 04:57 AM
The ump said he thought the swipe tag missed the runner. He was wrong.

I wouldn't be shocked if the ump was just feeling lazy and wanted to go home.....poor little thing.....god forbid an ump have to work as many hours in one random day per year as a typical working stiff does 5 days every week.

This is the worst call I've seen since Jim Joyce blew Armando Galarraga's perfecto, and it doesn't have any competition. At least Joyce manned up enough to say he was wrong then.......doubt this guy'll do the same.

What a ****ing joke. Full instant replay, now, please, not just on borderline homers.

And not next season. Now.

doublem23
07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
That ump needs to be fired. That's literally one of the worst call I've ever seen.

ballgame ovah
07-27-2011, 07:49 AM
I wonder what Hawk would say...

VenturaFan23
07-27-2011, 08:40 AM
It's Enrico Pilazzo! Seriously, what an absolutely horrible call.

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Jerry Meals needs to be suspended for making such a horrible call! You know what, whenever a team falls victim to such an obviously blown call, MLB should be required to pay compensatory damages of $100K to that ballclub. That right, in my book MLB should be writing a check to the Pirates for $100,000.00 this morning.

SI1020
07-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Couldn't stay up to finish watching the game. Unbelievably terrible call. Bring on the robots and computers. It's getting ridiculous.

Fenway
07-27-2011, 09:43 AM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/images/201107/20110727pirates_330.jpg

The Pittsburgh announcers reaction ( second clip ) says it all but even the Atlanta announcers were stunned.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=17335331&topic_id=11493214

http://post-gazette.com/pg/11208/1163216-63-0.stm

doublem23
07-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Couldn't stay up to finish watching the game. Unbelievably terrible call. Bring on the robots and computers. It's getting ridiculous.

Every time one of these guys blows a call like that it really makes the case for instant replay more compelling. That said, Jerry Meals should have been pink slipped as soon as he walked in the umpire's locker room. You want to be an MLB umpire? You cannot ****ing miss a call like that. Embarrassing.

kevingrt
07-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Oh my goodness. That was sickening to watch.

bluedemon45
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_...ic_id=11493214 (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_...ic_id=11493214)

So I watched this entire clip to just hear both sets of annoucers reaction. When I got to about 1:48-1:49 clip it almost looks like the catcher whiffed on the tag. When I watch the other clips it looks like he clearly got it down..but this view gives a different angle.

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Every time one of these guys blows a call like that it really makes the case for instant replay more compelling. That said, Jerry Meals should have been pink slipped as soon as he walked in the umpire's locker room. You want to be an MLB umpire? You cannot ****ing miss a call like that. Embarrassing.

Hey, it was late and he wanted to go home! We've all been there!

Zakath
07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
That's almost a Denkinger-level call.

downstairs
07-27-2011, 07:14 PM
That's almost a Denkinger-level call.

Nah that was only famous because it was in the Series. If that happened in a normal game, there'd be an argument and no one would hear about it outside the audience.

This was just so obvious. Derkinger was a closer play.

Fenway
07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Here is my simple idea...

Since MLB Net already has the lines to each park for HR calls....simply have the official scorer flag a play that doesn't look right...no managers involved.

The official scorer asks the crew chief to look at the video and correct any mistake that may have been made.

thomas35forever
07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Just saw it for the first time and wow, that's one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Not even close.

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Here is my simple idea...

Since MLB Net already has the lines to each park for HR calls....simply have the official scorer flag a play that doesn't look right...no managers involved.

The official scorer asks the crew chief to look at the video and correct any mistake that may have been made.

Kind of like the NHL awaiting calls to Toronto on whether a goal is good or not?

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2011, 10:48 PM
We have to have instant replay in baseball for calls like this, and I don't want to hear any of that "human element" crap.

thomas35forever
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM
We have to have instant replay in baseball for calls like this, and I don't want to hear any of that "human element" crap.
But...but...but...you'll turn away every fan over the age of 70!:emo:

Railsplitter
07-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Or perhaps a return of the curfew rule the American League used to have, where a game would be suspened at 1 A.M. and no inning could start after 12:50.

Fenway
07-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Kind of like the NHL awaiting calls to Toronto on whether a goal is good or not?

Pretty much.....

Gavin
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
What a disgusting act.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Jerry Meals needs to be suspended for making such a horrible call! You know what, whenever a team falls victim to such an obviously blown call, MLB should be required to pay compensatory damages of $100K to that ballclub. That right, in my book MLB should be writing a check to the Pirates for $100,000.00 this morning.
I totally agree. But, we as the fans will NEVER hear about it if any disciplinary actions are actually taken, and that pisses me off. Fans always are informed when a player or coach is suspended/fined, but we never hear when umpires are suspended/fined. That information should be made just as public! Umpires deserve no extra "protection."

madisonsoxfan
07-28-2011, 12:40 PM
So, a hypothetical question on how you all think instant replay might have worked in this scenario. It looks like the batter fell down on his way to first and the pitcher is motioning for the catcher to throw to 1st. If the ump makes the out call at home, Iím guessing the catcher throws to first and maybe gets the force for an inning ending double play.

With the call of safe, the game is over. If the call of safe is overturned by replay, does the runner get 1st? Could the catcher have thrown to first to get that out hoping for the replay? But that seems silly because now the batter is required to run to first in a game that is over?

I guess the way Iím seeing it, replay would have made the situation better, as at least the run would not have scored. I donít think it could have ďfixedĒ the play. Maybe thereís a solution Iím not seeing here.

SI1020
07-28-2011, 01:27 PM
So, a hypothetical question on how you all think instant replay might have worked in this scenario. It looks like the batter fell down on his way to first and the pitcher is motioning for the catcher to throw to 1st. If the ump makes the out call at home, Iím guessing the catcher throws to first and maybe gets the force for an inning ending double play.

With the call of safe, the game is over. If the call of safe is overturned by replay, does the runner get 1st? Could the catcher have thrown to first to get that out hoping for the replay? But that seems silly because now the batter is required to run to first in a game that is over?

I guess the way Iím seeing it, replay would have made the situation better, as at least the run would not have scored. I donít think it could have ďfixedĒ the play. Maybe thereís a solution Iím not seeing here. Very good observations. I thought the same things but of course you posted them. The fact is, in some cases if the ump screws up it would be difficult or even sometimes impossible to correct it with instant replay.

tebman
07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Terrible, terrible call. He wasn't even in position to see the tag.

Time to trot out one of my favorite Bill Veeck quotes: "The umpires, as a class, have never really impressed me. Not as greatly, at any rate, as they impress themselves."

Brian26
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I just watched the replay for the first time at lunch. Am I the only one crazy enough to admit that it looks like the catcher completely missed the tag? From two different angles, it looks like the catcher missed. Admittedly, the ball beat him by a wide margin and he should have been out, but I'm not so sure the umpire didn't make the correct call.

SBSoxFan
07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I just watched the replay for the first time at lunch. Am I the only one crazy enough to admit that it looks like the catcher completely missed the tag? From two different angles, it looks like the catcher missed. Admittedly, the ball beat him by a wide margin and he should have been out, but I'm not so sure the umpire didn't make the correct call.

No, you aren't alone. Based on every replay I saw, you could argue that the catcher missed with the swipe tag. I think he did graze his knee, however, at real speed it would be difficult to tell.