PDA

View Full Version : The worst baseball announcer in MLB

Fenway
07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
John Sterling who does the Yankees on WCBS has gotten worse than ever....

Phil Mushnick of the NY POST can not take it anymore

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/far_from_sterling_OESPAAc11DVNvjaVmU3rXJ

a sample - He makes Farmer and Hawk sound like Vin Scully
PxfeRWCdU5k

and of course for this

_5hK90Itwb8

VenturaFan23
07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
For me it's a tie between Joe Buck and Farmer. Yes, Sterling is annoying but at least he shows some form of emotion unlike those two stiffs.

vinny
07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I was so glad when he left the Braves crew. What a doofus.

Fenway
07-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't know if many of you have heard Joe Castiglione on Red Sox games - he is in his 28th year and what is amazing about him is as soon as you tune in you can tell if the team is ahead or behind.

hoosiersoxfan
07-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't know if many of you have heard Joe Castiglione on Red Sox games - he is in his 28th year and what is amazing about him is as soon as you tune in you can tell if the team is ahead or behind.

So he's Hawk Harrelson?

Fenway
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
So he's Hawk Harrelson?

Hardly

Fenway
07-26-2011, 04:13 PM
South Florida has perhaps the best radio announcer nobody has ever heard....Dave Van Horne who worked for the Expos for 32 years before Loria brought him to Miami.

http://thestar.blogs.com/baseball/2011/07/griffin-dave-van-horne-recalls-his-32-years-in-montreal.html

doublem23
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM

Yeah, it's called the FoxBox.

chisoxjtrain
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Is Chip Caray still employed?

6RHcGWHuThE

Southsider101
07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Why is it that New York City baseball announcers have to sound like rubes from the Podunk school of broadcasting? Some of the best baseball play by play people come from smaller markets like Milwaukee, and the Twin Cities--Bob Uecker and John Gordon are examples.

Fenway
07-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Why is it that New York City baseball announcers have to sound like rubes from the Podunk school of broadcasting? Some of the best baseball play by play people come from smaller markets like Milwaukee, and the Twin Cities--Bob Uecker and John Gordon are examples.

Mets announcers are top notch...

But my gawd Michael Kay on YES is as bad as Sterling...

and then we have Suzyn...

palehozenychicty
07-26-2011, 11:38 PM

Kay is a complete buffoon. Arrogant as well. Sterling is quite horrible. His deal is up at season's end, actually.

Zakath
07-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Swish-a-licious?

:puking:

DSpivack
07-26-2011, 11:58 PM
For me it's a tie between Joe Buck and Farmer. Yes, Sterling is annoying but at least he shows some form of emotion unlike those two stiffs.

I actually enjoy listening to Farmer, in a perverse way.

PeteWard
07-27-2011, 03:00 AM
I actually enjoy listening to Farmer, in a perverse way.

I like Farmer. He was really giving it to Valverde tonight for his hot dog ways. :smile:

PeteWard
07-27-2011, 03:03 AM

Kay makes me sick with his Yankee worship. Yes, have some pride in working for one of THE sports franchises in the world, but don't talk as if it's the ONLY one. I hate that guy.

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Last month, when I was driving up to St. Ignace, I was listening to a Yankees game on XM. John Sterling was tolerable that day, actually, but Suzyn brought nothing to the table. All she would do is overstate the obvious. She is a bad as Monty in the "Major League" movies. Of course, we cannot forget this:

Fdtn0Z4o8cM

One would think that the Yankees, the most valuable franchise in our sport in spite of what we think of the Yankees, would have top notch announcers.

When I was in Kansas City last week, I enjoyed listening to Denny Matthews who have been with the Royals from their beginning.

Fenway
07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
They had Charlie Steiner for a couple of years before he couldn't take working with Sterling and he took the Dodgers #2 job.

Yankees radio contract is up for grabs and WEPN (ESPN NY) wants them as does WABC - WCBS however does quite nicely with NYY. The Yankees want to be separate from WFAN which CBS also owns and is the home of the Mets.

WEPN has major signal problems in New Jersey however so I can't see NYY going there.

"It is high, it is far - caught by Jeter"

Last month, when I was driving up to St. Ignace, I was listening to a Yankees game on XM. John Sterling was tolerable that day, actually, but Suzyn brought nothing to the table. All she would do is overstate the obvious. She is a bad as Monty in the "Major League" movies. Of course, we cannot forget this:

Fdtn0Z4o8cM

One would think that the Yankees, the most valuable franchise in our sport in spite of what we think of the Yankees, would have top notch announcers.

SI1020
07-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I like Farmer. He was really giving it to Valverde tonight for his hot dog ways. :smile: Farmer isn't old school. He's old old school, and would stick it in your ear if you rubbed him the wrong way. Farmer has been discussed at length here. Like some, I enjoyed him with Rooney, and don't think he's cut out to do PBP. He is pure south side and does have a good dry sense of humor at times.

Tragg
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Why is it that New York City baseball announcers have to sound like rubes from the Podunk school of broadcasting? Some of the best baseball play by play people come from smaller markets like Milwaukee, and the Twin Cities--Bob Uecker and John Gordon are examples. John Gordon with the Yankees before the Twins...he was the best NY PBP then.

PeteWard
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Farmer isn't old school. He's old old school, and would stick it in your ear if you rubbed him the wrong way. Farmer has been discussed at length here. Like some, I enjoyed him with Rooney, and don't think he's cut out to do PBP. He is pure south side and does have a good dry sense of humor at times.

I remember him hitting Sox-killer Ben Oglivie of the Brewers in the knee. It started a brawl at Comiskey - around 1980 or so. Not sure if it was intentional.

Domeshot17
07-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Hawk. Convo Ovvvaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh