PDA

View Full Version : Should Glover start against Seattle?

doublem23
08-07-2001, 11:44 AM
Thanks to our newspaper expert, Jerry_Manuel, we all know now thet Jerry Manuel (um, the manager) is planning on going with a temporary six-man rotation to give Gary Glover a start against the Mariners.

Should Glover get a start?

My vote is for no, seeing as our bullpen is depleted. If we take Glover out of the pen, that leaves us with Keith Foulke, Bobby Howry, Matt Ginter, Alan Embree, and Rocky Biddle. I'm sorry for Glover, because he has been pitching well enough to warrant a start, but this is a team thing we're going for. I wouldn't have a problem if Manuel said he was going to pull Kip or Sean from the rotation in order to make room for Glover, but to pull another good arm from the pen is insanity.

Joel Perez
08-07-2001, 12:26 PM
Only reason why I said no is because as good as Glover has pitched out of the pen, Seattle will eat him alive.

Put either Biddle or keep the rotation as is for now. Take a look at it later this month, then decide.

It would be nice for Gary to get a start or two in September.

Mathew
08-07-2001, 12:59 PM
The answear is no because of the ridiculously thin bullpen. Untill the starters prove they are not capable of starting why deplete the pen? If Kip pitches a gem in Anaheim, what does this move say? Why can't we just be happy that we have a good reliever?

Mathew
08-07-2001, 01:02 PM
P.S. Great Poll Doublem Closest I've seen here.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
P.S. Great Poll Doublem Closest I've seen here.

Gracias, Mathew, but I do owe props to Jerry_Manuel for bringing it to my attention.

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Gracias, Mathew, but I do owe props to Jerry_Manuel for bringing it to my attention.

I didn't really do anything but thanks.

Chisox353014
08-07-2001, 01:18 PM
I voted yes because I think Glover has a better shot at going more innings (and winning) than say, Biddle. If we put Rocky in there, he's likely to get shelled quickly and then we have to put Glover in for long relief anyway. If Glover can keep us in it for 6/7 innings or so it'll save the bullpen. Plus, if Glover gets rocked early, Biddle will likely be the "take-one-for-team" guy. And I would rather have Biddle unavailable than Glover for the following games.

Soxfan7070
08-07-2001, 02:22 PM
I say no because he probably is one of our better middle relievers and last time Glover started, he stayed in the game for a short period of time. The Sox used most of their bullpen on that day and the bullpen became the Winning PTC.

Tragg
08-07-2001, 04:37 PM
I guess I'm the opposite of everyone else.

I think Glover would be a lousy starter, but a good closer.

I think Foulke would be a good starter.