PDA

View Full Version : What Would a Win Tonight Mean?

BRDSR
07-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I know some will say it's as big a game as any other in late July, but...

-We're five days away from a trade deadline that could have the Sox as big sellers.

-A win would get the Sox to .500.

-A win would give the Sox four straight against the two teams ahead of them and get them within 2.5 games of first place with two months to go.

-The Sox are big underdogs, with Peavy going against Verlander.

I know that a win tonight would move me into the modestly optimistic range.

pythons007
07-26-2011, 09:13 AM
:darkclouds::darkcloud:

I haven't seen optimism on these boards in 2 years. Dark Cloulds in 3...2...1...GO

doublem23
07-26-2011, 09:13 AM

Look at Verlander's career numbers against the Sox. I don't know if we're "big" underdogs.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2011, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't say that. Baseball's a very mental game, and we lit Verlander up just 11 days ago. I doubt either team has forgotten that. I'm not really worried about this game.

SI1020
07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I've noticed the White Sox hitting hard throwing power pitchers better than soft tossing junk ballers. They've handled Verlander in the past, in fact he's 9-10 with a 4.45 ERA lifetime against them. No reason to think they can't do it again tonight. A decent start from Peavy would be most helpful.

soxfanatlanta
07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Doesn't Verlander's performance historically tail off in the second half of the season?

Lip Man 1
07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Back to the .500 mark?

:D:

Lip

bluedemon45
07-26-2011, 09:40 AM
It will get us back to .500. And I don't think Kenny would blow this team up then. I don't see how you can blow up a team that might be 2.5 back and .500.

It comes down to Peavy tonight. He needs to take the ball and pitch like an ace tonight. We will have our opportunies against Verlander but it starts and ends with Jake.

doublem23
07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I've noticed the White Sox hitting hard throwing power pitchers better than soft tossing junk ballers. They've handled Verlander in the past, in fact he's 9-10 with a 4.45 ERA lifetime against them. No reason to think they can't do it again tonight. A decent start from Peavy would be most helpful.

That's been the case for years with this team, for whatever reason, even through managerial changes and hitting coach changes and player personnel changes...

I agree, the biggest factor tonight to who wins and who loses is which Jake Peavy shows up. I think the Sox will get a couple runs off Verlander and the Tigers bullpen is wow... they are awful... Even Valverde's not that great.

Kilroy
07-26-2011, 09:52 AM

-We're five days away from a trade deadline that could have the Sox as big sellers.

-A win would give the Sox four straight against the two teams ahead of them and get them within 2.5 games of first place with two months to go.

I think the Sox are due to kick Verlander in his bean bag for a change. He's good, but he can't win every game he faces us in. Even if the Tigers win tonight, I'd like to see them put up 5-6-7 runs on Verlander... But if we put up that many, we damn well better win.

Gavin
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Sox are favored in the moneyline for tonight. Not by much, but still..

hawkjt
07-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Its big,but if the Sox win one of these two, they have a pulse. Verlander is pretty unlikely to have two straight bad outings vs any team. He bounced back vs the Twins last weekend. He is nails tough,and should win the Cy this year. Not counting on getting him,but if the Sox did,it would be a huge boost,because the Tigers count on one sure win every 5 games,and that would not be the case this time thru the rotation. They get the Angels this weekend,so a couple more losses to the Sox could put them in a mini-tailspin. Make it happen,Sox.

ChiSoxGal85
07-26-2011, 10:07 AM
If Jake is sharp tonight, I like the Sox's chances. It will be a battle. If he is not, I hope Ozzie doesn't leave him in too long. I hope he puts Humber in - and then I hope Humber remembers how to pitch out of the pen.

kaufsox
07-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Did somebody shoot the memo to Peavy about the shutout?

kevingrt
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Did somebody shoot the memo to Peavy about the shutout?

Once he hits that 70 pitch mark I say pull him even though I don't know if Sergio, Sale, and Jesse are even available tonight.

BringBackBlkJack
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Once he hits that 70 pitch mark I say pull him even though I don't know if Sergio, Sale, and Jesse are even available tonight.

Reliever pitch count from last night:

Crain - 31
Sale - 8
Santos - 5

I see no reason why everyone but Crain wouldn't be available. But with Humber now in the 'pen we have a great candidate for long relief if need be.

#1swisher
07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Peavy, defense, the bats are heating up. Looks like a winner to me.

Quentin "most interesting man" said that every game in the second half is a big game, so let me emphasize that.

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/video?PID=6cLLTB-1K2gDnRczFfOe8_hemv_x8xc07nANaVp

kittle42
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
How about a Peavy for 5-6 innings and Humber for 3-4 shutout!?

rcescato
07-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Im not going to be happy until we are at least 5 games over .500. We should be winning this division by 5 or more games right now. How can Dunn suck so bad. I dont get it.

SI1020
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Im not going to be happy until we are at least 5 games over .500. We should be winning this division by 5 or more games right now. How can Dunn suck so bad. I dont get it. Maybe just because he sucks. He won't be the first player in MLB history that suddenly saw a drastic decline in performance.

guillensdisciple
07-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Maybe just because he sucks. He won't be the first player in MLB history that suddenly saw a drastic decline in performance.

More and more I am beginning to think this is the case and that his performance is not some kind of aberration.

downstairs
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
A win tonight means the Sox are 51-51. That's what.

JB98
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Reliever pitch count from last night:

Crain - 31
Sale - 8
Santos - 5

I see no reason why everyone but Crain wouldn't be available. But with Humber now in the 'pen we have a great candidate for long relief if need be.

Or Humber could work as a right-handed setup man tonight to give Crain a break. Humber is a better pitcher than Bruney, so why not?

I'm less nervous about the Sox facing Verlander than I was about them facing Below last night. The pitching matchup last night strongly favored the Sox. It felt like a game they absolutely had to have. Tonight's game seems to favor the Tigers, so if the Sox pull this one out, it's a huge plus.

Nelfox02
07-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Win tonight gives us a shot at for a sweep......

2 of 3 would be great, and I think necesarry, but being 3.5 out after this series sounds a lot worse than just 1.5......

Get a W tonight, beat their ace, secure the series win and put them on their heels tomorrow

looking forward to the game tonight

billcissell
07-26-2011, 01:49 PM
A win means we're back to .500 at 51 and 51. And we'd be no worse than 2 1/2 games back. I like our chances with Peavy going up against Verlander, especially if we can jump on the Tiger ace early, like we did 11 days ago in Detroit. Humber coming out of the pen once Peavy hits the 75-pitch mark? Sounds like a potential White Sox winner to me.

DSpivack
07-26-2011, 01:59 PM
I believe a win tonight would mean that on July 26, 2011, the Chicago White Sox defeated the Detroit Tigers.

kufram
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
If there really was a serious plan to blow it up in the next 5 days wouldn't there be more serious rumours surfacing? Too many people would have some knowledge of multiple deals for it to be as quiet as it is... or am I just cynical?

DSpivack
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
If there really was a serious plan to blow it up in the next 5 days wouldn't there be more serious rumours surfacing? Too many people would have some knowledge of multiple deals for it to be as quiet as it is... or am I just cynical?

You mean with specific deals supposedly in place, as the quote from KW alluded to? I would think that would just depend on the GM, some have tighter lips than others.

captain54
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
:darkclouds::darkcloud:

I haven't seen optimism on these boards in 2 years.

Probably because there's been no reason for people to be optimistic

central44
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Sox should be able to win it, I mean...they're facing Verlander. It's not like they're going up against Bruce Chen!

kittle42
07-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Sox should be able to win it, I mean...they're facing Verlander. It's not like they're going up against Bruce Chen!

It's funny because it's true.

bridgeportcopper
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Sox are favored in the moneyline for tonight. Not by much, but still..

Nope Tigers are -153.

SI1020
07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Another tough loss. But there's still time or it's early or the bats will come around.

A. Cavatica
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Another tough loss. But there's still time or it's early or the bats will come around.

Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opposing pitcher.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2011, 11:35 PM
At least Verlander is a legit ace not some garbage named Chen, Paulino or Lopez.

Lip