PDA

View Full Version : Rios-The Defense Rests

Carolina Kenny
07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I realize defensive metrics are tough to gauge.

My eye tells me Rios is not only having a poor season at bat, but also is in a defensive slump as well.

I couldn't quite tell from the TV coverage, but does anyone think he should have gotten to the Beckham and TCM plays last night?

Is he getting good jumps on the ball? Are his throws strong and accurate?

I realize he is a "glider" and doesn't always appear to be a max-effort type guy. He has me totally flumoxed.

KenBerryGrab
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM
The view from 531, Row 4:

The Cabrera ball, no, he was not at fault. He was very deep in the left-center gap and had a long way to go. The second one, yes, he should have had that.

October26
07-26-2011, 09:02 AM
I realize defensive metrics are tough to gauge.

My eye tells me Rios is not only having a poor season at bat, but also is in a defensive slump as well.

I couldn't quite tell from the TV coverage, but does anyone think he should have gotten to the Beckham and TCM plays last night?

Is he getting good jumps on the ball? Are his throws strong and accurate?

I realize he is a "glider" and doesn't always appear to be a max-effort type guy. He has me totally flumoxed.

I'm so glad you posted this because I've been thinking about those 2 errors that happened in the game last night. On both errors last night, it seemed that the issue was lack of communication between Rios and Beckham/Ramirez. If Rios calls them off, neither ball drops in. Rios looks super lazy to me this year, slow to get to the ball and it's frustrating to watch because Rios has talent.

As for his offensive woes, I don't even know how to fix that mess. I wish Rios had somebody to call in to be his "hitting coach", you know like a dad, uncle, brother, old high school coach. Rios desperately needs help because right now he is bad offensively and defensively for the Sox.

soxgirl617
07-26-2011, 09:15 AM
The view from 531, Row 4:

The Cabrera ball, no, he was not at fault. He was very deep in the left-center gap and had a long way to go. The second one, yes, he should have had that.

I was also at the game last night, and agree with KenBerryGrab's assessment. The first one was not Rios' fault; the second one he should have caught.

slavko
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I was also at the game last night, and agree with KenBerryGrab's assessment. The first one was not Rios' fault; the second one he should have caught.

Could have. It was Ramirez's ball. Ramirez went hard, then eased up and started praying. Rios saw Ramirez going hard and was going easy. By the time Ramirez eased up, it was too late for Rios to make the catch. But it still should have been Ramirez's ball. Just my 2 cents, I'm no fan of Rios, see my sig.

dwalteroo
07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm so glad you posted this because I've been thinking about those 2 errors that happened in the game last night. On both errors last night, it seemed that the issue was lack of communication between Rios and Beckham/Ramirez.

I was at the game and this is how it looked to me too. I obviously couldn't hear whether or not they said anything, but it didn't appear as though anyone had called it either way. A similar play with Pierre/Rios almost resulted in a missed play (and near collision).

Lip Man 1
07-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Communication issues should not be happening with a "veteran" team over 100 games into a season. This is stuff that's supposed to be straightened out in spring training.

Lip

SI1020
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
They work very hard in spring training on all the fundamentals of the game.

KMcMahon817
07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Communication issues should not be happening with a "veteran" team over 100 games into a season. This is stuff that's supposed to be straightened out in spring training.

Lip

I am not defending Rios; he has been brutal all season. But these things happen to every team, every week. It is not just the White Sox.

palehosepub
07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
There was also another play where Pierre and Rios just about ran into each other - the centerfielder has got to make some noise and call him off, not sure if he did or not but I prefer to blame it on Rios because of his consistent mental lapses and lack of hustle. He is fast approaching Jamie Navarro as my number #1 most despised White Sox player ever.

dickallen15
07-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Could have. It was Ramirez's ball. Ramirez went hard, then eased up and started praying. Rios saw Ramirez going hard and was going easy. By the time Ramirez eased up, it was too late for Rios to make the catch. But it still should have been Ramirez's ball. Just my 2 cents, I'm no fan of Rios, see my sig.
Its the CFs ball. Another stupid thing Rios did yesterday was when he was on first, AJ hit a foul ball the 3rd baseman was going to catch by the stands on the 3rd base side. For some reason Alex stood 3/4 of the way to second base and watched. If the ball dropped he had to go back to first because its foul. If it was caught there was a possibility the 3rd baseman gets tangled up or falls down. Rios should have been tagging up. I just think he's not very bright baseball-wise.

TDog
07-26-2011, 02:03 PM

Lip

Spring training and coaching has nothing to do with it. The Twins had more communication problems among outfielders and infielders on Monday night than the White Sox did, and they had a great spring.

Superficially,the fault is with Rios not communicating and generally playing too deep. The bigger problem is that Rios is playing the way he played when he came over to the White Sox at the end of the White Sox Rios has shown the ability to play a much better centerfield, just as he has shown he can hit better than he has hit this year. He is playing like he has no interest in playing. I wonder if the White Sox had another potential everyday centerfielder who could field the position.

His salary is irrelevant. Winning teams don't play payers based on what they pay players. Last year, the highest paid active player on the Giants didn't make the postseason roster. The second-highest paid Giant nearly didn't make the postseason roster and ended up mostly on the bench. And the Giants won the World Series. I believe though, that Rios would play more inspired baseball if the White Sox were regularly starting a solid defensive centerfielder provided the offensive contributions that Morel has provided this year. Being replaced by Lillibridge here and there isn't going to kick Rios in the butt the way that replacing him in the lineup on a regular basis would.

Complain about your Dewayne Wises or your Aaron Rowands, but at least they played like they cared.

Irishsox1
07-27-2011, 12:43 PM
As long as Alex Rios is in center field these issues will continue. I'm glad to hear he's finally hitting the bench. But I firmly believe the Sox would be better off cutting him and getting him away from the team ASAP!

soxinem1
07-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Lip

Agreed. His near clothes-lining of Pierre in the first game of the DET series is even more telling. He's played CF with his head up his ass since day one, and this is the guy who was so eager to prove TOR was wrong for not playing him everyday in center.

Seriously though, minus most of 2005, what White Sox team has not been over-run with mental defensive issues since, oh, 1994?

wassagstdu
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Watching Rios recently and especially in the third inning Sunday it occurred to me that he looks like someone who is suffering from depression. I am not a psychiatrist (though my son is one), but I am somewhat familiar with the phenomenon. It would explain a lot -- for example why we see two different players for half a season at a time. That would be good news for Rios and for the Sox because depression is usually very treatable. Another thought though: If depression is Rios' problem, and he and/or the Sox do not know it, some GM could make a killing by taking Rios off the Sox' hands for nothing (or less), getting treatment for him, and having a gem. I would love to see Rios become the player he has been part of the time, all of the time for the Sox.

Irishsox1
07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Watching Rios recently and especially in the third inning Sunday it occurred to me that he looks like someone who is suffering from depression. I am not a psychiatrist (though my son is one), but I am somewhat familiar with the phenomenon. It would explain a lot -- for example why we see two different players for half a season at a time. That would be good news for Rios and for the Sox because depression is usually very treatable. Another thought though: If depression is Rios' problem, and he and/or the Sox do not know it, some GM could make a killing by taking Rios off the Sox' hands for nothing (or less), getting treatment for him, and having a gem. I would love to see Rios become the player he has been part of the time, all of the time for the Sox.

If it's depression, Alex can clearly afford to go talk to someone. My guess it has more to do with the horrible contract Toronto gave him and the Sox not wanting to eat $40 million for him to go away.

TDog
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
If it's depression, Alex can clearly afford to go talk to someone. My guess it has more to do with the horrible contract Toronto gave him and the Sox not wanting to eat $40 million for him to go away.

Dealing with clinical depression isn't just a matter of talking to someone. If that is Rios' problem, he isn't just going to snap out of it. I don't recall if Tony Horton, a promising hitter for Cleveland who left baseball 40 years ago due to a mental health issue was diagnosed with clinical depression. But that was pre-Prozak.

Rios was great until he signed his big contract. He isn't the first big-money player not to live up to the big money once he got it.

PaleHoser
07-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Carl Skanberg's comment (http://smellslikemascot.blogspot.com/2011/07/batting-stances.html) on Rios' benching is pretty good.