PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Williams on the Sox at trade deadline

johnnyg83
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
at MLB.com http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110725&content_id=22272624&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"The White Sox will be looking for starting pitching and maybe a proven closer. Heath Bell makes sense there."

Dios mio.

sullythered
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
at MLB.com http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110725&content_id=22272624&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"The White Sox will be looking for starting pitching and maybe a proven closer. Heath Bell makes sense there."

Dios mio.

And apparently Mitch Williams watches no White Sox baseball...

DirtySox
07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Yea, no.

johnnyg83
07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Maybe we'll go to a 7 or 8 man rotation. :smile:

TomParrish79
07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
WOW

He also said that the Sox would be fine if:

If they could keep Frank Thomas healthy for the 2nd half of the season
Robin Ventura kept hitting timely grand slams
Lance Johnson gets on base more.

balke
07-25-2011, 08:00 PM
5th in the AL in WHIP and 7th in ERA...

I'm willing to bet the starting staff by itself is ranked higher in each category.

Brian26
07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
WOW

:rolling:

Brian26
07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe we'll go to a 7 or 8 man rotation. :smile:

:thumbsup:

DirtySox
07-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Are there any MLB.com writers who are worth reading?

tacosalbarojas
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Sad thing is he's not the first one to say this. These guys are flat out stealing money.

BleacherBandit
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Please inform me. Why is Mitch Williams writing articles for MLB.com?

Mitch, you were a good pitcher and sported one of the raddest mullets in sports history. But please, no more of this nonsense.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Could be worse...he could be Jeff Brantley who when working for ESPN called Freddy Garcia "Freddy Guzman" and Dustin Hermanson "Chad Hermanson" on Baseball Tonight.

:rolleyes:

Lip

mccoydp
07-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Could be worse...he could be Jeff Brantley who when working for ESPN called Freddy Garcia "Freddy Guzman" and Dustin Hermanson "Chad Hermanson" on Baseball Tonight.

:rolleyes:

Lip

My Lord, I remember that.

shingo10
07-26-2011, 12:14 AM
I remember when Ozzie got into with Brantley during batting practice before a game in 2005. It was awesome.

Then of course Hawk ripped Brantley during the broadcast.

Good ole days...

slavko
07-26-2011, 12:26 AM
I remember when Mitch as a Cub was hit flush in the ear with a vicious line drive. Brain Damage for sure.

PalehosePlanet
07-26-2011, 12:29 AM
What's even worse is that the other night on BBTN both Bobby Valentine and Jim Bowden said that The Sox would go after a closer also. :scratch:

I think Mitch probably got his idiotic idea by watching them.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2011, 01:43 AM
I like Mitch Williams and think he does a pretty good job breaking down pitchers but he is dead wrong about this.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Yeah, we have some of the best pitching in baseball and Santos only has 21 saves while our offense has a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn, so yeah, let's get more pitching!!1

:facepalm:

SOXSINCE'70
07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
WOW

They also would be better if:

-Dick Allen and Bill Melton hit for extra bases
-Goose Gossage pitched the 5th-9th innings
- Jim Essian caught more games
- Jorge Orta learned how to turn a double play.

:roflmao::rolling:

hawkjt
07-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Please,MLB.com,hire me right now and say byebye to Mitch Williams.
Could he possibly be more wrong?

blandman
07-26-2011, 09:08 AM
They're right and you're all wrong.

We are locked into every position on the diamond, for better or worse. The ONLY way that changes is if we have a fire sale. Dunn and Rios aren't going anywhere and HAVE to play because of the sheer number of years they're owed. Konerko, Alexei, and Quentin are carrying the offense. Pierzinski has no trade value. Pierre isn't losing his spot so long as Ozzie is the manager. And Beckham/Morel are too valuable defensively to replace with anyone currently on the market. Even if someone's traded, it's likely to make room for Dayan.

So they're right. We aren't looking for a hitter. Unless we blow it up.

doublem23
07-26-2011, 09:12 AM
They're right and you're all wrong.

We are locked into every position on the diamond, for better or worse. The ONLY way that changes is if we have a fire sale. Dunn and Rios aren't going anywhere and HAVE to play because of the sheer number of years they're owed. Konerko, Alexei, and Quentin are carrying the offense. Pierzinski has no trade value. Pierre isn't losing his spot so long as Ozzie is the manager. And Beckham/Morel are too valuable defensively to replace with anyone currently on the market. Even if someone's traded, it's likely to make room for Dayan.

So they're right. We aren't looking for a hitter. Unless we blow it up.

You're actually going to defend a guy who says a team with 6 SP and a lights out back of the bullpen is in need of more starting pitchers and relievers?

Just stick to telling us that the Cell should only be serving organic, vegetarian, or vegan food, please.

HebrewHammer
07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
My initial reaction was, "Wow! Mitch Williams has a job? The economy must be in pretty good shape after all."

TheOldRoman
07-26-2011, 10:03 AM
My Lord, I remember that.And I remember Kruk during the 2007 playoffs saying about the Rockies, "Uh, yeah. I don't really know too much about Colorado. They have Todd Helton and uh, some other guys. Matt Holliday and others."

tstrike2000
07-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Mitch certainly fell off the mound again with his line of thinking.

blandman
07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
You're actually going to defend a guy who says a team with 6 SP and a lights out back of the bullpen is in need of more starting pitchers and relievers?

Just stick to telling us that the Cell should only be serving organic, vegetarian, or vegan food, please.

I don't see how his suggestion is any more stupid. The reliever actually makes sense, and it's been echoed by pretty much every analyst that looks at this team.

Doublem who would you add? Who does he replace? Ask yourself then if that's likely to happen. I bet it isn't.

DSpivack
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't see how his suggestion is any more stupid. The reliever actually makes sense, and it's been echoed by pretty much every analyst that looks at this team.

Doublem who would you add? Who does he replace? Ask yourself then if that's likely to happen. I bet it isn't.

Like whom?

I think our pen is fine now, and Williams said closer, not just a reliever. Santos is fine, as are Crain, Thornton, and Sale, and even Bruney looks decent enough.

The Sox are averaging just 3.99 runs per game, well off the league average of 4.31. They Sox are allowing just 3.98 runs per game, much better than the league average of 4.26. Pitching isn't the problem.

Gavin
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
To be fair, I look for a lot of things I have no real interest in acquiring. Like 3D HDTVs at Best Buy and cheap flights to Europe.

doublem23
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Please find me the analysts that watch the Sox that think we need more pitching; we have 6 MLB quality starting pitchers right now, and our bullpen by any standard metric (ERA, WHIP, BAA, K/BB, K/9, etc.) is one of the best in the American League. Meanwhile, our offense averages less than 4 R/G and is 10th in the AL. So please please please explain to me how adding more pitching is going to put this team over the top. On top of this, just about every other major player in the AL that could be buyers; New York, Boston, Detroit, Texas, and Cleveland, are thin at pitching, so even if in some Bizarro World were the Sox decide to add pitching, there's no chance they outbid 7 teams for arms that are even worth our time. Our farm system right now consists of a 22-year-old DH, a relief pitcher who was in A-ball to start this season, and a project outfielder recovering from a devastating injury who was a project outfielder when he was drafted.

I'll agree with you in that we're probably locked in with most of our position players and considering how up and down this team has been I doubt the Sox make much of a move either way, but I'd certainly hope that if KW is burning the midnight oil trying to improve the Sox, he's not wasting his time trying to see how he can hoard more pitchers.

blandman
07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Like whom?

I think our pen is fine now, and Williams said closer, not just a reliever. Santos is fine, as are Crain, Thornton, and Sale, and even Bruney looks decent enough.

The Sox are averaging just 3.99 runs per game, well off the league average of 4.31. They Sox are allowing just 3.98 runs per game, much better than the league average of 4.26. Pitching isn't the problem.

The market is flooded with right handed relievers. You can acquire someone, send someone down, and recall him in September.

Also don't forget if we trade one of our surplus starters for prospects, we'll need another reliever.

blandman
07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Please find me the analysts that watch the Sox that think we need more pitching; we have 6 MLB quality starting pitchers right now, and our bullpen by any standard metric (ERA, WHIP, BAA, K/BB, K/9, etc.) is one of the best in the American League. Meanwhile, our offense averages less than 4 R/G and is 10th in the AL. So please please please explain to me how adding more pitching is going to put this team over the top. On top of this, just about every other major player in the AL that could be buyers; New York, Boston, Detroit, Texas, and Cleveland, are thin at pitching, so even if in some Bizarro World were the Sox decide to add pitching, there's no chance they outbid 7 teams for arms that are even worth our time. Our farm system right now consists of a 22-year-old DH, a relief pitcher who was in A-ball to start this season, and a project outfielder recovering from a devastating injury who was a project outfielder when he was drafted.

I'll agree with you in that we're probably locked in with most of our position players and considering how up and down this team has been I doubt the Sox make much of a move either way, but I'd certainly hope that if KW is burning the midnight oil trying to improve the Sox, he's not wasting his time trying to see how he can hoard more pitchers.

Jim Bowden also believes we're most likely to target a reliever. See last post as to why a reliever.

doublem23
07-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Jim Bowden also believes we're most likely to target a reliever. See last post as to why a reliever.

Who the **** is Jim Bowden

blandman
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Who the **** is Jim Bowden

Former GM, does trade projections for ESPN.

Ken Rosenthal also made mention to the White Sox likely to pick up relief help. I don't think it's that they think we need the most help there, only that it's the only place conceivably we can pick up improvement at a cost we could afford. Like I said, there's a flood of above average right handed relievers on the market.

JB98
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Crain is overworked and Bruney is not a reliable option in high-leverage situations. So, if the Sox decide to add, I could see them looking for a right-handed reliever.

Any analyst who thinks the Sox need to add more starting pitching is out of their ****ing mind, however. I suppose they could trade Quentin for starting pitching, but that would be a back-up-the-truck, get-ready-for-next-year move. The Sox are done for 2011 if they trade Quentin. You can't put Viciedo in the lineup (or Colby Rasmus, for that matter) and expect him to replace Q's production.

blandman
07-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Crain is overworked and Bruney is not a reliable option in high-leverage situations. So, if the Sox decide to add, I could see them looking for a right-handed reliever.

Any analyst who thinks the Sox need to add more starting pitching is out of their ****ing mind, however. I suppose they could trade Quentin for starting pitching, but that would be a back-up-the-truck, get-ready-for-next-year move. The Sox are done for 2011 if they trade Quentin. You can't put Viciedo in the lineup (or Colby Rasmus, for that matter) and expect him to replace Q's production.

Realistically, no. But I don't think that'll stop Kenny Williams from selling that point. It's no secret Quentin has no place on this team moving forward. They've been playing their best prospect at his position down in AAA, and have refused to call him up when other positions he could play have struggled mightily. Carlos will be gone at the end of the week. The only question is if it's for prospects or a major league piece. If it's the latter, it'll likely be a pitcher (with Jackson also going in another deal).

kittle42
07-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Realistically, no. But I don't think that'll stop Kenny Williams from selling that point. It's no secret Quentin has no place on this team moving forward. They've been playing their best prospect at his position down in AAA, and have refused to call him up when other positions he could play have struggled mightily. Carlos will be gone at the end of the week. The only question is if it's for prospects or a major league piece. If it's the latter, it'll likely be a pitcher (with Jackson also going in another deal).

You are making a lot of sense - a shame others just ripped on you for no good reason.

doublem23
07-26-2011, 04:10 PM

LF is open in 2012. Just sayin'.

blandman
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
LF is open in 2012. Just sayin'.

Juan Pierre or Scotty Pods. At least until Carl Crawford hits 35.

doublem23
07-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Juan Pierre or Scotty Pods. At least until Carl Crawford hits 35.

We'll have to see. I wouldn't be shocked if Carlos was gone before the 2012 season, however, I would be surprised if he is moved by Sunday.

blandman
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
We'll have to see. I wouldn't be shocked if Carlos was gone before the 2012 season, however, I would be surprised if he is moved by Sunday.

I don't really feel this team is going to win the division, so if we're not resigning him we could probably get a good amount for him. Things look good this week, but when we inevitably lose 8 of ten next week, we'll be kicking ourselves for not dealing him when we had the chance.

I think Kenny, with the way he's been talking, finally gets that this team is streaky both ways because it's just not a very good team.

Soxman24
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
This was just a "cookie cutter" analysis by Mitch, as he has not a clue about this team or it's needs.

blandman
07-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Welp, looks like we're about to pickup a right-handed relief pitcher...

Frasor's a Chicago native - wonder if he's a sox fan?

eriqjaffe
07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Frasor's a Chicago native - wonder if he's a sox fan?Well, he probably is now.

BleacherBandit
07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Welp, looks like we're about to pickup a right-handed relief pitcher...

Frasor's a Chicago native - wonder if he's a sox fan?

Yeah, I was going to say, we've just picked up a bullpen piece and a starting pitcher (of a sort). Mitch Williams might have been lucky in his prediction.

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I was going to say, we've just picked up a bullpen piece and a starting pitcher (of a sort). Mitch Williams might have been lucky in his prediction.

Meh, not really. He said a starting pitcher and a closer. Frasor is not a closer, and Stewart is a minor leaguer.

blandman
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Meh, not really. He said a starting pitcher and a closer. Frasor is not a closer, and Stewart is a minor leaguer.

Semantics. A late inning reliever and a guy who could start were obviously what the white sox were asking around about, that's why so many analysts mentioned this possibility.

SOXPHILE
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Williams was on Mully & Hanley this morning, and I actually had to listen carefully for a couple of minutes, because he sounded like he had brain damage, or was drunk. He talked real slow and deliberate, sounded real unsure of himself. A whole bunch of "uhhh...ummms" in there too. He really sounded like he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

SOXSINCE'70
07-27-2011, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=SOXPHILE;2801208 He really sounded like he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.[/QUOTE]

To paraphrase the Jews during Passover, "Why is this day different from any other?":D:
That is actually a phrase read from the Haggadah (Jewish Bible) during Passover services.

Brewski
07-27-2011, 07:22 PM
To paraphrase the Jews during Passover, "Why is this day different from any other?":D:
That is actually a phrase read from the Haggadah (Jewish Bible) during Passover services.

I don't remember Hagadah as a book of the Old Testament. I even checked my Bible. Do you mean Exodus? :?:

DSpivack
07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't remember Hagadah as a book of the Old Testament. I even checked my Bible. Do you mean Exodus? :?:

The story of Passover is from Exodus, it is the story many know from the movie Ten Commandments.

The Haggadah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggadah_of_Pesach)(which literally means just 'telling') is the book that is read during the Passover seder (dinner, literally meaning order) to tell that story.

SOXSINCE'70
07-28-2011, 05:28 PM
The story of Passover is from Exodus, it is the story many know from the movie Ten Commandments.

The Haggadah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggadah_of_Pesach)(which literally means just 'telling') is the book that is read during the Passover seder (dinner, literally meaning order) to tell that story.

Thank you for clarifying.:yup:I truly did not know this.Shame on me.:redface:

all*star quentin
07-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Williams was on Mully & Hanley this morning, and I actually had to listen carefully for a couple of minutes, because he sounded like he had brain damage, or was drunk. He talked real slow and deliberate, sounded real unsure of himself. A whole bunch of "uhhh...ummms" in there too. He really sounded like he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

Yes, he thinks before he speaks. :cool: