PDA

View Full Version : Sox and Sawx talking trade?

Fenway
07-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo senses something is up

Sent: Jul 23, 2011 5:19p

White Sox and Red Sox have done a lot of scouting of one another over the last week. Not just advance work for upcoming series.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/94879415992983552

Brian26
07-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Buehrle for Ellsbury, Bucholz and Lowrie.

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Is Kenny about to trade for the ghost of Ted Williams?:D:

I had to ask.

Fenway
07-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Theo Epstein is NOT Tommy Ivan :)

Can a mod fix thread title - I spelt talking wrong

voodoochile
07-23-2011, 05:01 PM

What no Gonzalez for Dunn and Rios?

Brian26
07-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Theo Epstein is NOT Tommy Ivan :)

Can a mod fix thread title - I spelt talking wrong

Throw in Lester and I'll change it.

Soxfest
07-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Hope KW is not taken to the cleaners.

Tragg
07-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Let's see if we can figure it out. What 29+ year old declining veterans do the Red Sox have?

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I imagine that TCQ is plan B if the Red Sox can't get Beltran.

Buehrle's also a possibility since I believe they were interested in acquiring him in 2007.

If it is indeed for TCQ, good thing he's been hitting the daylights out of the ball again.

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Knowing Theo, and the fact the Carlos isn't exactly an elite OF, I'm doubtful we'll be able to get any of the Sawx's top 10 prospects.

As long as we don't get a repeat of the Swisher deal with the Yankees.

I also figure Kenny could potentially see any trade with Carlos as a trade for Dayan as well since there would finally be a position free.

Jpgr91
07-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I think the Red Sox need help in their rotation more than they need an OF. A trade for Jackson makes more sense than a trade for CQ.

guillensdisciple
07-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Buehrle's also a possibility since I believe they were interested in acquiring him in 2007.

If it is indeed for TCQ, good thing he's been hitting the daylights out of the ball again.

The way TCQ is hitting, he might be option A not option B.

Tragg
07-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I also figure Kenny could potentially see any trade with Carlos as a trade for Dayan as well since there would finally be a position free.
That we have Dayan is what ALLOWS us to trade Quentin.
It doesn't determine his value of what we should receive.

Epstein is a master at piling up extra draft picks....my guess is his eye is on Jackson, who has pitched pretty well this year.

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 06:40 PM
The way TCQ is hitting, he might be option A not option B.

I think they'd rather have Beltran because he brings more things to the table than TCQ.

cards press box
07-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Theo Epstein is NOT Tommy Ivan

Are you referring to the Hawks' Phil Espo deal to the Bruins? That godawful trade was over forty years and it still hurts.

Dick Allen
07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Are you referring to the Hawks' Phil Espo deal to the Bruins? That godawful trade was over forty years and it still hurts.At the time, I was more upset that they gave up Ken Hodge. I had no idea that Espo would become a HOFer.

Zisk77
07-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Highly doubtful, as Mark would have to waive his no trade clause and he has said he is only interested in playing for two teams in the past - the white sox and the cardinals.

Also, if traded, Mark's 15 mil option on next year automatically vests which would likely cause other teams to avoid such a trade.

Harry Potter
07-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Maybe they want Tony Pena

blandman
07-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Highly doubtful, as Mark would have to waive his no trade clause and he has said he is only interested in playing for two teams in the past - the white sox and the cardinals.

Also, if traded, Mark's 15 mil option on next year automatically vests which would likely cause other teams to avoid such a trade.

Would it? I'd rather have him for two years.

Zisk77
07-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Would it? I'd rather have him for two years.

Most teams would be scared off by that guaranteed money. While I understand Boston isn't most teams, thats where Beurhle not willing to waive his no trade clasue makes that a moot point.

balke
07-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Guessing its Jackson's time to go. Really hoping whatever Kenny does leads to a solid 3Bman. Pretty much ruling out any moves with Dunn or Rios involved.

SoxNation05
07-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Jackson for Lars Anderson and Michael Bowden

A. Cavatica
07-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Let's see if we can figure it out. What 29+ year old declining veterans do the Red Sox have?

Sawx want a right-handed hitting outfielder, and to dump J. D. Drew. I wonder how badly KW wants to dump Alex Rios...

Boondock Saint
07-23-2011, 09:43 PM
God, I hope this is BA for Kotsay II.

balke
07-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I see their best prospect is a 3Bman and I doubt he'd ever be called up. Middlebrooks? What's his story? Could Jackson/Quentin get him and a reliever?

Lip Man 1
07-23-2011, 09:53 PM
This will happen right after Peter Gammons again says that Ozzie is about to be fired... :D:

Ozzie is quoted again in the Tribune tonight telling Mark Gonzales he thinks the team doesn't need any help (i.e. trades) it just has to play better.

:rolleyes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0724-brite-white-sox-indians-c20110724,0,3376461.story

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Ozzie is quoted again in the Tribune tonight telling Mark Gonzales he thinks the team doesn't need any help (i.e. trades) it just has to play better.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0724-brite-white-sox-indians-c20110724,0,3376461.story

Lip

I want some of whatever Ozzie's smoking. It must be gooooood stuff.

:bong:

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 10:47 PM
I want some of whatever Ozzie's smoking. It must be gooooood stuff.

:bong:

He probably got it from Freddy.

PaleHoser
07-24-2011, 12:55 AM
What 29+ year old declining veterans do the Red Sox have?

Or leftovers from the Indians mid-90's glory days?

vinny
07-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Jenks is coming back!

LongLiveFisk
07-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Jenks is coming back!

Even in teal, I just have to say...

:puking:

Zisk77
07-24-2011, 09:36 AM
This will happen right after Peter Gammons again says that Ozzie is about to be fired... :D:

Lip

Why is that significant? Ozzie has said that virtually every year at the trade deadline. Its coachspeak. Whats he supposed to say - trade everyone we suck? He has said it, KW continues to make trades, Then OG praises the trades.

I know this fits the fire OG agenda, but its a non-issue. There is plenty of real issues to debate over whether OG should be fired.

JohnTucker0814
07-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd love to have Reddick...

russ99
07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
You'd think both Jackson and Quentin have to be in play, so why not both for a few better prospects.

I wonder if they'd part with Doubront and/or Jacobs.

Fenway
07-24-2011, 09:58 AM
At the time, I was more upset that they gave up Ken Hodge. I had no idea that Espo would become a HOFer.

Truth is Orr made Espo what he became in Boston....Orr's passing from the point was deadly...Phil's strong point was you couldn't move him out of the slot.

soxfan43
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Why is that significant? Ozzie has said that virtually every year at the trade deadline. Its coachspeak. Whats he supposed to say - trade everyone we suck? He has said it, KW continues to make trades, Then OG praises the trades.

I know this fits the fire OG agenda, but its a non-issue. There is plenty of real issues to debate over whether OG should be fired.

Just about to say the same thing. People always make a big deal when coaches, mgrs or GMs say things like that. What do people expect, that they will go to the media begging for more help and throwing the current players under the bus?

Lip Man 1
07-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Zisk & Sox fan 43:

Look at it this way.

Wednesday night Ozzie goes off on a two minute tirade, throwing his entire team under the bus for their "professionalism," "attitude" and such.

Then four days later after almost 100 games he basically says the team is OK they just have to play better.

Seams a little two-faced no? Somewhat disingenuous.

What Ozzie could have said was something like this, "Well we haven't played well for long stretches this season...still too up and down, so if Kenny thinks he needs to make some trades to help the club I understand where he's coming from. These guys have to look at themselves in the mirror..."

Ozzie needs to be more consistent in his statements in my opinion. Sox fans aren't stupid despite what some may think.

Now I'll go get drunk and piss on a statue.

Lip

Zisk77
07-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Zisk & Sox fan 43:

Look at it this way.

Wednesday night Ozzie goes off on a two minute tirade, throwing his entire team under the bus for their "professionalism," "attitude" and such.

Then four days later after almost 100 games he basically says the team is OK they just have to play better.

Seams a little two-faced no? Somewhat disingenuous.

What Ozzie could have said was something like this, "Well we haven't played well for long stretches this season...still too up and down, so if Kenny thinks he needs to make some trades to help the club I understand where he's coming from. These guys have to look at themselves in the mirror..."

Ozzie needs to be more consistent in his statements in my opinion. Sox fans aren't stupid despite what some may think.

Now I'll go get drunk and piss on a statue.

Lip

C'mon Lip you should know Ozzie better. Every time things get rough he calls attention to himself in some contrived way. The focus becomes him. The players aren't overly burdened with media asking why they suck. The sox then usually play better for a time. Its not two-faced, Its what has worked so well in the past. The question is how many times can he go to the well? Its so predictable already to most sox fans. The rest of the world things OG is nuts, but he knows what he is doing.

Dick Allen
07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Truth is Orr made Espo what he became in Boston....Orr's passing from the point was deadly...Phil's strong point was you couldn't move him out of the slot.Espo put on about 20 pounds after the trade. While with the Hawks, you COULD move him out of the slot.

While what you're saying may be true, arguably Espo' most shining moment came in the '72 Summit Series, which Orr missed due to a knee injury.

(Sorry, folks, I know this is a baseball forum)

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Sawx want a right-handed hitting outfielder, and to dump J. D. Drew. I wonder how badly KW wants to dump Alex Rios...

What about a 3-team deal:

Quentin and Rios to the Red Sox
Rasmus and Drew to the White Sox
Jackson and a Red Sox prospect to the Cardinals

Sox get relief from Rios' deal, Rasmus to play CF, and can go with a Viciedo/Drew platoon in RF.

Cards get the starting pitcher help they need.

Red Sox get RH hitting OF.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Sox get relief from Rios' deal, Rasmus to play CF, and can go with a Viciedo/Drew platoon in RF.

I don't think Epstein wants another outfielder with a bad contract who's below water.

Gavin
07-24-2011, 07:12 PM
This feels a lot like Jermaine Dye to the Red Sox, 2011 version.

PalehosePlanet
07-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Apparently BJ Upton is on the block, and according to Tim Kurkjian, The Rays will not be asking for top notch talent in return. Unless the Rays don't want to deal in the division, this move would make more sense for The Sawx. He'll be a whole lot cheaper than Quentin.

I don't think Q is going anywhere in season; quite possible in the off-season though.

A. Cavatica
07-24-2011, 08:32 PM

Red Sox would not want two righthanded-hitting OF. If they can get Quentin, why would they want Rios?

Anyway, three-team trades almost never work.

dickallen15
07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
C'mon Lip you should know Ozzie better. Every time things get rough he calls attention to himself in some contrived way. The focus becomes him. The players aren't overly burdened with media asking why they suck. The sox then usually play better for a time. Its not two-faced, Its what has worked so well in the past. The question is how many times can he go to the well? Its so predictable already to most sox fans. The rest of the world things OG is nuts, but he knows what he is doing.
If he knows what he's doing, why is the team in this sort of mess almost every season? This Ozzie is so smart crap needs to end. If he's so smart and knows exactly what buttons to push, if he has the most talented team, he should win, but often he does not.

Boondock Saint
07-24-2011, 08:43 PM
If he knows what he's doing, why is the team in this sort of mess almost every season? This Ozzie is so smart crap needs to end. If he's so smart and knows exactly what buttons to push, if he has the most talented team, he should win, but often he does not.

But that's the genius of it all. Everyone focuses on how much Ozzie sucks, not how much the Sox suck. You see, he's a master deflector.

dickallen15
07-24-2011, 08:48 PM
But that's the genius of it all. Everyone focuses on how much Ozzie sucks, not how much the Sox suck. You see, he's a master deflector.
I don't think the people have not noticed the Sox not sucking. Look at their attendance. Its gone down every year since 2006. Look at their message boards. Ozzie wants the attention to be on him but not to deflect criticism about the players. He just loves attention.

SBSoxFan
07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
According to the ESPN ticker, J. D. Drew is going on the D.L.

I want to say you can't trade a guy on the D.L., but was Peavy on the D.L. the first time the Sox tried to acquire him?

Zisk77
07-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Who said he was so smart and knew all the right buttons to push?
I said he deflects the media focus off the players and onto him. Do you doubt this? Its been done so much its redundent.

And it usually spurs a small win streak. OG blows up in KC the tribe is swept. Unfortunately its a short lived thing and the ploy is getting old.

You are making other arguments though about talent etc, which was not what I was talking about.

A. Cavatica
07-24-2011, 09:11 PM
If we sent the Red Sox an outfielder, I assume we wouldn't be taking back Drew.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2011, 11:55 PM
According to the ESPN ticker, J. D. Drew is going on the D.L.

I want to say you can't trade a guy on the D.L., but was Peavy on the D.L. the first time the Sox tried to acquire him?I think you can't release a guy on the DL, but you can trade him. Not sure though.

SoxSpeed22
07-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Peavy was on the DL when the Sox acquired him. He got hurt right after he turned down the deal the first time.
As for Drew, I wouldn't be surprised of Boston kept him on the DL for the rest of the season. He is on the DL for rotator cuff tendinitis, but he's had a few surgeries on his left shoulder. Quentin would not have much area to cover and he can hit the ball hard, so it can work. We would just have to get something good out of it. Infield seems to be their strength.

Hitmen77
07-25-2011, 08:50 AM

It hasn't "worked well" since 2005.....and that was six years ago.

People need to stop believing the myth that Ozzie's a "genius" for throwing tirades only as a ploy to get his players to perform better. First of all, it doesn't work. Second, I really don't believe he's saying stuff as a "stunt" to deflect attention from the players.

The Immigrant
07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I think you can't release a guy on the DL, but you can trade him. Not sure though.

I think a player on the DL can be traded with the Commissioner's approval, but this rule may have changed.

Zisk77
07-25-2011, 10:05 AM
It hasn't "worked well" since 2005.....and that was six years ago.

People need to stop believing the myth that Ozzie's a "genius" for throwing tirades only as a ploy to get his players to perform better. First of all, it doesn't work. Second, I really don't believe he's saying stuff as a "stunt" to deflect attention from the players.

I said a couple of times that the stunt was getting old and less effective. I really do believe its just a stunt. I don't however think its genius and I don't see where people are claiming he is a genius. Nor is he insanely stupid as some want to believe that OG really believes all the crap that he says.

When the sox are playing well Ozzie is quiet. When the sox aren't playing well OG chirps. He's been chirping a lot lately. Coincidence?