PDA

View Full Version : Hey look at Ray-Ray

Bucktown
07-11-2002, 08:40 PM
Ray's batting average is .295. I am encouraged by the turnaround in the middle infield.

Do we trade him now?

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-11-2002, 08:42 PM
yes and no, if we can get a nice pitcher in the deal, then i'd go for it, if not, why should we? who'll play 2nd base???

Daver
07-11-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Ray's batting average is .295. I am encouraged by the turnaround in the middle infield.

Do we trade him now?

It's either that or lose him with no compensation other than a sandwich pick.

I doubt he will be re-signed at his asking price.

Tragg
07-11-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown

Do we trade him now?

Better watch it around here when you say something good about durham. I particularly like his c. .400 OBP, but I won't say it too loudly.

If he does by some remote chance return, how about trying him in the OF, a la chipper jones. There was a murmur about that 2 springs ago.

Jerry_Manuel
07-11-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
There was a murmur about that 2 springs ago.

Ray nipped that in the butt, more money at 2nd base was what he said at the time. Perhaps he's changed his stance on that right now.

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Ray nipped that in the butt, more money at 2nd base was what he said at the time. Perhaps he's changed his stance on that right now. his asking price is going to be too much, i think for other clubs to swallow. well except for a few clubs anyway.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
his asking price is going to be too much, i think for other clubs to swallow. well except for a few clubs anyway.

Ray's asking price won't be too much for a team serious about winning a championship. This, of course, rules out the Sox.

:KW
"We're sucking with the guys we've got, and we can't even afford them!"

:reinsy
"Unless the fans show up, I'll run this franchise straight into the cellar of the A.L. Central."

:ohno
"Detroit and Kansas City have a big head start. Why are we so sure this is one goal Reinsdorf will successfully accomplish?"

FarmerAndy
07-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Ray is the biggest "streak" player I've ever seen. If we could somehow trade him, do it now while he's hot. Of course, when I look at who our G.M. is, I have no confidence that a good trade could be made.

KruseControl04
07-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
yes and no, if we can get a nice pitcher in the deal, then i'd go for it, if not, why should we? who'll play 2nd base???

I agree, if we can get some good pitching in the trade, then sure. As for who's gonna play 2nd base, we've got Graffy, or Willie Harris to do that. Even if they aren't as good as Ray, right now we still need pitching.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Ray is the biggest "streak" player I've ever seen. If we could somehow trade him, do it now while he's hot. Of course, when I look at who our G.M. is, I have no confidence that a good trade could be made.

If we know he's a streak player, one would think that the other GM's around the league know the same.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
I agree, if we can get some good pitching in the trade, then sure. As for who's gonna play 2nd base, we've got Graffy, or Willie Harris to do that. Even if they aren't as good as Ray, right now we still need pitching.

I think at this point, Williams should just move him for anything.

Paulwny
07-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I think at this point, Williams should just move him for anything.

That's just about all you'll get for a player who'll be a fa at the end of the season.

soxtalker
07-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I understand the desire to get some pitching, but I would trade him as long as we can get more than we think we would get in a compensation draft pick. I understand the desire of some that we get pitching in return. However, the chances of the Sox doing much with this season are slim (not impossible, just slim), so I'd be happy to take some prospects in return that help us restock our farm system. The advantage of dealing Durham is (I hope) that it clears the logjam in the infield and allows the Sox to bring up Crede to play 3rd. (Valentine could move over to 2nd.)

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
That's just about all you'll get for a player who'll be a fa at the end of the season.

Agreed.

Originally posted by soxtalker
The advantage of dealing Durham is (I hope) that it clears the logjam in the infield and allows the Sox to bring up Crede to play 3rd. (Valentin could move over to 2nd.)

That would be a smart idea, but lets remember which organization we're talking about. :D:

MattSharp
07-12-2002, 07:08 PM
With the acquisition of Jimenez maybe this means this means Ray will be traded. Then they will use Jimenez and Graffy at 2B for the rest of the year.