PDA

View Full Version : There is one thing the Indians do better than the White Sox

DumpJerry
07-23-2011, 07:54 AM
The post-game fireworks last night put to shame any of the post-game fireworks the Sox do.

They evacuate (their word) the entire left field stands and then have not only launchers set up on the LF Warning Track, but the main portion of the show is behind the LF wall/scoreboard is from the Foul Pole to Center Field. The Sox can't do this because of the players' parking lot behind LF, so I don't expect them to rise to the challenge, but damn it was an impressive show.

The in-game fireworks, however, were weak, weak, weak. It consisted of one sparkler shooting up from beind Center Field.

Side note: in the past, WSIers have pointed out the size of the Tribe's scoreboard as something the Sox need. It is way too big-too much information to process at once, you cannot take it all in.

dickallen15
07-23-2011, 08:18 AM
One thing a gigantic scoreboard might do is make USCF not such a bandbox.

The one area the ball doesn't jump is if you hit it in the air towards the CF scoreboard. A bigger board theoretically should make that area a little larger.

lpneck
07-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Interesting. I have always thought the Sox do excellent firework shows, but I guess I don't have anything to compare it to.

Couldn't disagree more about the scoreboard, though. I went on a trip east right before the all-star break and took in a game at Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Washington. All four of them make the White Sox scoreboard look like an embarrassment with gigantic HD screens. The section on the Indians scoreboard that shows the scorecard line for the player for that game (similar to what Comcast does on the TV broadcast) is really cool. You get that information on the left-center scoreboard about 25 percent of the time at US Cellular.

Also, the out-of-town scoreboards are less cluttered and easier to read.

LongLiveFisk
07-23-2011, 08:58 AM
The post-game fireworks last night put to shame any of the post-game fireworks the Sox do.

They evacuate (their word) the entire left field stands and then have not only launchers set up on the LF Warning Track, but the main portion of the show is behind the LF wall/scoreboard is from the Foul Pole to Center Field. The Sox can't do this because of the players' parking lot behind LF, so I don't expect them to rise to the challenge, but damn it was an impressive show.

The in-game fireworks, however, were weak, weak, weak. It consisted of one sparkler shooting up from beind Center Field.

Side note: in the past, WSIers have pointed out the size of the Tribe's scoreboard as something the Sox need. It is way too big-too much information to process at once, you cannot take it all in.

Was there back in '02 and got a foul ball back hit way back to LF near the foul pole (it was damn near a home run) and some guy back there pushed me down to try to get (no joke). I still have a little scar on my right knee from it.

Chicago tough. :cool: :tongue:

Fenway
07-23-2011, 09:04 AM
A Chicago friend could not believe that AAA Pawtucket has a better scoreboard than The Cell

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269973_2162055403645_1014362077_32491947_4119874_n .jpg

What I like about the new Fenway boards is they keep the left board dedicated to pitcher/batter
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5303/5747653745_e659092d2f_z.jpg

and the main board is for other game data
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5102/5747604749_e3b2733afe_z.jpg

doublem23
07-23-2011, 09:10 AM
A Chicago friend could not believe that AAA Pawtucket has a better scoreboard than The Cell

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269973_2162055403645_1014362077_32491947_4119874_n .jpg

Must just be a bad picture because that scoreboard picture quality looks super ****ty

johnny bench
07-23-2011, 09:19 AM
One other thing...They sell hot roasted peanuts!

Fenway
07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Must just be a bad picture because that scoreboard picture quality looks super ****ty

Pic was taken by a Blackberry.. :tongue:

This gives a better idea
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4884097456_b34933cbe8_z.jpg

DumpJerry
07-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Interesting. I have always thought the Sox do excellent firework shows, but I guess I don't have anything to compare it to.

Couldn't disagree more about the scoreboard, though. I went on a trip east right before the all-star break and took in a game at Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Washington. All four of them make the White Sox scoreboard look like an embarrassment with gigantic HD screens. The section on the Indians scoreboard that shows the scorecard line for the player for that game (similar to what Comcast does on the TV broadcast) is really cool. You get that information on the left-center scoreboard about 25 percent of the time at US Cellular.

Also, the out-of-town scoreboards are less cluttered and easier to read.
The Sox have physical limitations for fireworks because of the players' parking lot. The area where they shoot off the Tribe firworks is a walkway behind the stadium that is easily cleared of people for the show. This enables them to have a wider spread for the show.

I did not like the out of town scoreboards because I needed a telescope to read it (I was UD behind Home). The pitcher board on the RF UD (pitch count, ball/strike breakdown, speed) facade looked like it was in 5 point font, not readable from 500 feet away.

Fenway
07-23-2011, 09:53 AM
The Sox have physical limitations for fireworks because of the players' parking lot. The area where they shoot off the Tribe firworks is a walkway behind the stadium that is easily cleared of people for the show. This enables them to have a wider spread for the show.

I did not like the out of town scoreboards because I needed a telescope to read it (I was UD behind Home). The pitcher board on the RF UD (pitch count, ball/strike breakdown, speed) facade looked like it was in 5 point font, not readable from 500 feet away.

What exactly is that apartment complex behind CF anyways?

They must REALLY love the fireworks.

DumpJerry
07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
What exactly is that apartment complex behind CF anyways?

They must REALLY love the fireworks.
It is the accomodations for the visiting team's starting Pitcher for the next day.

It's a senior citizen building that the State could not "get rid of" when they built the park. This is why the park does not face downtown, but rather faces Southeast.

Fenway
07-23-2011, 10:00 AM
It is the accomodations for the visiting team's starting Pitcher for the next day.

Maybe the White Sox should change the hotel option :tongue:

doublem23
07-23-2011, 10:15 AM
It's a senior citizen building that the State could not "get rid of" when they built the park. This is why the park does not face downtown, but rather faces Southeast.

I was always under the impression the park faces southeast because that was the most cost effective way to build the new stadium, all the utility lines that lead to the old park were already in place at 35th Street so all you needed to do was hook up the new park just on the other side of the street.

It's not like the park would have great downtown views anyways, even if it was facing the other direction since Sox Park is about 3 miles south of the Loop. You wouldn't be able to see much behind the interstate highway sized billboards.

PaleHoser
07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I thought this was going to be about pierogis. Went to the Jake in the late 90's and had potato and onion pierogis with Great Lakes Ale.

Mmmmm....

Gavin
07-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Pic was taken by a Blackberry.. :tongue:

This gives a better idea
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4884097456_b34933cbe8_z.jpg

Even though you photobombed us with a bunch of different pictures, I'm still not seeing a better scoreboard compared to USCF.

soxgirl617
07-23-2011, 11:07 AM

They evacuate (their word) the entire left field stands and then have not only launchers set up on the LF Warning Track, but the main portion of the show is behind the LF wall/scoreboard is from the Foul Pole to Center Field.

Does anyone else remember when the Sox also used to clear the left field stands before the fireworks? They did so in the first five or six years at The Cell. Depending on the sponsor of the fireworks, there was also sometimes a "stationary" fireworks display (like an American flag or similar) in deep center field, I think on the warning track. Amazing that the Sodfather would allow that....or maybe that's why they don't do it anymore.

I've always thought the post-game fireworks at The Cell are very good, so the show at Cleveland must have really been something amazing.

DSpivack
07-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Does anyone else remember when the Sox also used to clear the left field stands before the fireworks? They did so in the first five or six years at The Cell. Depending on the sponsor of the fireworks, there was also sometimes a "stationary" fireworks display (like an American flag or similar) in deep center field, I think on the warning track. Amazing that the Sodfather would allow that....or maybe that's why they don't do it anymore.

I've always thought the post-game fireworks at The Cell are very good, so the show at Cleveland must have really been something amazing.

I remember that as late as 2000 and maybe a couple seasons thereafter, before the renovations.

skobabe8
07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Even though you photobombed us with a bunch of different pictures, I'm still not seeing a better scoreboard compared to USCF.

It looks at least as good as USCF, but I'm guessing since its newer the specs are probably better.

Our whole board needs an overhaul. A reconfigured player parking lot or maybe even a parking garage with a new scoreboard on top would probably be necessary however.

Fenway
07-23-2011, 12:44 PM
It looks at least as good as USCF, but I'm guessing since its newer the specs are probably better.

Our whole board needs an overhaul. A reconfigured player parking lot or maybe even a parking garage with a new scoreboard on top would probably be necessary however.

Pawtucket's board forced the Red Sox to upgrade - it really looks good with the naked eye.

The Sox can't be blamed for the scoreboard - the rule of thumb in 2003 was a ten year life for the board - LED technology just had advanced so much since then.

Teams now budget for a new board every 7 years.

What USCF needs is a total redesign of the back of the bleachers.

soltrain21
07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Pawtucket's board forced the Red Sox to upgrade - it really looks good with the naked eye.

The Sox can't be blamed for the scoreboard - the rule of thumb in 2003 was a ten year life for the board - LED technology just had advanced so much since then.

Teams now budget for a new board every 7 years.

What USCF needs is a total redesign of the back of the bleachers.

Uh, no.

roylestillman
07-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Uh, no.
Yep, I can smell the home run porch a comin'

The home run fireworks in the old Cleveland Municipal was hysterical. A trap door used to open up in the middle of the center field batter's eye and set off a barrage in every direction that would send 17 people or so in the bleachers scattering.

Hitmen77
07-23-2011, 01:21 PM

What I like about the new Fenway boards is they keep the left board dedicated to pitcher/batter
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5303/5747653745_e659092d2f_z.jpg

and the main board is for other game data
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5102/5747604749_e3b2733afe_z.jpg

After seeing the scoreboards in Anaheim and Arizona, the CF video board at the Cell looks pathetic. Plus, it's mostly used for birthday/anniversary messages and trivia info....the main board says just about nothing about the game in front of us.

The board at the Cell that has the main game info is not even a video screen. It's just an electronic scoreboard with a collection of white lights. That feels like 1970s technology. To make matters worse, it's obstructed for many seats down the 3B line.

The ribbon boards are absolutely nothing but ads and silly graphics. Other ballparks seem to be able to squeeze game info into parts of their ribbon board, but not the Sox.

The Out of Town scoreboard is the newest. They've relied on that board to squeeze in information about the current pitcher and hitter at the top and bottom of that board. Nice info, but very disjointed to have to look to the out of town scoreboard to find this
Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be making these same complaints for years to come because I believe in an interview earlier this year Brooks or someone with the Sox said there is no money budgeted for a new board.

Wrong!!! Haven't you been listening to all the ballpark bashers for the last 20 years? The reason why the park faces the way it does is because the Sox "turned their backs" on the city skyline! This is why people refuse to go to Sox games. They'd rather go to Wrigley, which doesn't have its back turned on downtown....oh, never mind.

jdm2662
07-23-2011, 01:27 PM
After visiting KC two years ago and seeing their scoreboard, I came to conclusion that Comiskey's simply sucks. That said, if they were winning, I wouldn't care either way. In order to see the boards clearly, you have to sit in the upper deck behind home plate. Those are my favorite seats anyway because I can see the flight of the ball the best.

Fenway
07-23-2011, 02:27 PM
The White Sox board uses the technology that was developed in the 80's - half video, half dot-matrix. Boston had the same setup until this year.

The price of video LED's has dropped so much that now the entire board can be video driven. Even the ad panels at Fenway are virtual - the entire board can be used as video if they want.

The Red Sox selected this company to handle the new board

http://www.ancsports.com/

The White Sox use the same company for the ads behind the plate.

JR has been loyal to a Mt Prospect based company, White Way signs who also installed the board at the UC - but White Way has failed to keep up with advances in scoreboards.

ANC and Daktronics are the gold standard now.

billcissell
07-23-2011, 02:30 PM
"The home run fireworks in the old Cleveland Municipal was hysterical. A trap door used to open up in the middle of the center field batter's eye and set off a barrage in every direction that would send 17 people or so in the bleachers scattering."

Yeah, I remember that. The good old days. I used to always get a laugh out of that when those bleacherites headed for cover.

Old Municipal was primarily built for football, so there were thousands and thousands of bad seats. Even when the Indians would draw a good crowd of 25,000, the park would still be 2/3s empty.

Foulke You
07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
The White Sox board uses the technology that was developed in the 80's - half video, half dot-matrix. Boston had the same setup until this year.
If you are talking about the CF scoreboard, the half video/half dot matrix was only used thru 2003. Prior to hosting the '03 All Star Game, the Sox took some of that US Cellular sponsorship money and installed an HD screen in CF and did away with the dot matrix part. At the time, it was the largest HD screen in baseball and now is likely one of the smallest. The Sox were victims of being "early adopters" on a newer technology. After the HD screen was installed the CF scoreboard stopped being the main scoreboard for our ballpark and most of the critical data is now shown on the left center field dot matrix display which was also updated around the same time.

Pre 2003 CF Scoreboard:
http://coral.cs.umbc.edu/%7Ecatalano/photos/roadtrip_2002/roadtrip_2002-Images/174.jpg

Post 2003 CF Scoreboard:
http://paulfolson.com/wp-content/uploads/Scoreboard.jpg

tebman
07-23-2011, 02:41 PM
It's a shame the Sox don't have a budget for new scoreboards, and all the more so since it was the White Sox that set the bar in 1960 with Veeck's original exploding board. The technology has marched so far ahead that there's really no limit to what could be done with a budget and some imagination.

In Veeck's book he talked about the Comiskey Park board and his inspiration some years before that after seeing the play "The Time of Your Life". The play was set in a bar with a number of characters, among them a guy in the back playing a pinball machine over and over again. Near the end of the play he finally hits the big score and the machine erupts in lights, noise, and waving flags. Veeck thought a big scoreboard with something to read and that would also erupt after a home run like that pinball machine would be a great gimmick.

Veeck also said in the book that the White Sox didn't put up any money to build it. It was financed by the company that built it, with an agreement that the company would collect money from selling the ad space on the board. Within three years the cost was recovered and the Sox had that iconic scoreboard.

In its time it was miles ahead of other teams in technology. Now the Sox are miles behind, not just in the home-run celebration but in the display of game information. I don't understand why the Sox couldn't line up sponsors to foot the bill for new boards the way Veeck did. The numbers would be bigger for sure, but if US Cellular could pony up tens of millions for naming rights, why couldn't some combination of big sponsors create new scoreboards?

bridgeportcopper
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Here, Here....I'll take ours.

TomC727
07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I've seen both the White Sox and Cleveland firework shows. The White Sox Show is light years better.

amsteel
07-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Fireworks nights at USCF are the best since you can leave as soon as the game ends and only deal with half the traffic.

Max Power
07-25-2011, 10:31 AM

I remember stationary fireworks on the outfield/warning track and the bleachers *not* being evacuated in the mid-90's. I think the bleacher evacuation started in the early 2000's.

The one fireworks show I've seen in Cleveland was really good. Comiskey puts on a good show, but that one was probably better.

kaufsox
07-25-2011, 10:50 AM
"The home run fireworks in the old Cleveland Municipal was hysterical. A trap door used to open up in the middle of the center field batter's eye and set off a barrage in every direction that would send 17 people or so in the bleachers scattering."

Yeah, I remember that. The good old days. I used to always get a laugh out of that when those bleacherites headed for cover.

Old Municipal was primarily built for football, so there were thousands and thousands of bad seats. Even when the Indians would draw a good crowd of 25,000, the park would still be 2/3s empty.

Ah, the games of my youth. I was once sent scattering by those fireworks.

Jerko
07-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I remember sections of seats being "tarped off" so the Sox could use "indoor" fireworks. Saturday nights on the concourse during those days were brutal. (fun, but brutal)

ChicagoRushFan
07-25-2011, 12:28 PM
I was in Cincinnati last year for a game. They had a fireworks show plus MC Hammer concert. It was lots of fun. The fireworks the Reds had were way better than the cell. The river filled up with boats by the seventh inning to watch the show.

I hear Pittsburgh puts on a great show too. Sky Blast I think they call it.

As far as scoreboard go, Arizona's is the best I've seen. The second or third time a player comes up to the plate they put the player's entire career stats on the board, IE the back of a baseball card. And it's completely readable! Awesome.

Fenway
07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
of course the White Sox fireworks show is better...

When it is over you are in CHICAGO not Cleveland

iLw_6InYMx0

Berkules
07-25-2011, 06:04 PM
of course the White Sox fireworks show is better...

When it is over you are in CHICAGO not Cleveland

I was waiting for someone to say this.

As far as scoreboard go, Arizona's is the best I've seen. The second or third time a player comes up to the plate they put the player's entire career stats on the board, IE the back of a baseball card. And it's completely readable! Awesome.

I don't want to photobomb but I have to comment.. I can't believe how much I am enjoying a scoreboard thread. The scoreboard at AT&T park is perfect IMO because it always shows the lineups on each side (great for a scorekeeper's beer runs), the batter's stats are comprehensive and the line score along the bottom is always there but not intrusive.

It's here (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=at%26t+park+scoreboard&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=623&tbm=isch&tbnid=xq1vN7IQBTwftM:&imgrefurl=http://mopupduty.com/index.php/att-park-review/&docid=JI5Z1sQrgY85_M&w=576&h=432&ei=IvYtTvqsLobksQPE6qyzBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=445&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&tx=103&ty=68) if you care.

I do like explosions but can't comment much on stadium fireworks. :-/