PDA

View Full Version : Roland Hemond Being Honored at HOF Event This Weekend

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
At this weekend's Hall of Fame events in Cooperstown, Roland Hemond is maong three men being honored (http://baseballhall.org/news/event/center-stage) for their contributions to the game. The other two are Philadelphia writer Bill Conlon and Marlins (and former Expos) broadcaster Dave Van Horne. Roland, specifically, is receiving the Buck O'Neil Lifetime Acheivement Award.

Congratulations, Roland!

soxgirl617
07-23-2011, 12:11 PM
It's great that Roland is being honored! I met him very briefly years ago on the concourse at The Cell---he was very friendly and warm, and wanted to know what I thought of that year's team. (He approached us, we didn't approach him.)

I also always think of him when I think of the 2005 championship. The Sox won on October 26, which is also Roland's birthday. Seems fittiing, right?!

(Of course, as we all know, the Sox actually won two World Series games on October 26, 2005!)

Lip Man 1
07-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Roland is one of the best folks around. You won't find many (if any) better people than him.

Class act all the way.

Lip

jamokes
07-23-2011, 04:49 PM
In the 70's when we were big into the "Sox Supporters" out in leftfield, Roland would come out and chat with us on a regular basis. Truly a class act and a great baseball person.

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2011, 05:00 PM
We should feel very proud as White Sox fans that two people with White Sox ties in Roland Hemond and Roberto Alomar are being honored this weekend. True, Roberto's two stints with us here were not that distinguished and his best years had been far behind him by the time he arrived. Nevertheless, a HOF plaque going up with "CHICAGO A.L." on it is something for us to be proud of.