PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-22 Dunn 2 for 5? Now That's Progressive! TCQ 3, CLE 0 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Pitching, defense, and the three-run homer is a decent formula, provided you get the three-run homer.

I read that Quentin has the only three Sox homers since the All Star break.

Nice to get a win. Let's win tomorrow and Sunday.

JermaineDye05
07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Better, but I'd still like this team to start the rebuilding process.

As we've seen, even their wins aren't that good.

Offense issues once again.

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Sox are 5-1 against Cleveland this year now! I wish we played them more!

all*star quentin
07-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Pitching, defense, and the three-run homer is a decent formula, provided you get the three-run homer.

That's why he's an all*star.

Good game from Gavin, as well.

:)

DickAllen72
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
They let Carrasco off the hook early and often but finally got to him for three runs. Fortunately Floyd was on his game once again tonight and the Sox shut them down.

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
It would be great if Quentin would start one of his patented hot streaks. Paulie is in the middle of a mini-slump; let's hope it doesn't last. Let's also hope Dunn's two hits are a sign of better things ahead.

Good job by Floyd, Thornton and Santos.

PeteWard
07-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Wow Quentin is the only Sox hitter to homer after the break. The one he hit today was LOUD! Sounded like he had a microphone in his bat.

Otherwise not much O.

Great pitching though Matt had some very hard-hit outs.

Sox gain on Indians and Twins. No complaints about that.

JermaineDye05
07-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Walker should still be fired.

1-7 with RISP and 9 LOB is no bueno.

PeteWard
07-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Three postgame threads going.:D:

Frater Perdurabo
This team has had championship-caliber pitching for three months now. Only April's 4.66 team ERA inflates it.

If they could just hit at a league-average level, they would be fine.

johnnyg83
Gavin's been pretty darn good lately.

all*star quentin
07-22-2011, 09:44 PM
TCQs home run was 409 feet.:cool:

Oh, and the White Sox shutout the Indians. :bandance:

I'll say it now, let's SWEEP the Indians.:gulp:

JermaineDye05
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
This team has had championship-caliber pitching for three months now. Only April's 4.66 team ERA inflates it.

If they could just hit at a league-average level, they would be fine.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2011/04/12/z2tvsRzE.jpg

"What are you trying to say?"

russ99
07-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Sox win!

Let's get two more in Cleveland!

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2011, 09:48 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2011/04/12/z2tvsRzE.jpg

"What are you trying to say?"

I want to see your photo collection.

ChicagoG19
07-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Glad they won, but the offense still blows.

veeter
07-22-2011, 09:50 PM
The beat goes on for the outstanding pitching staff. Just enough offense tonight. I love White Sox wins...try for another one tomorrow.

PalehosePlanet
07-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Gavin's been pretty darn good lately.

Shhhh...don't say that too loud. The resident WSI psychologists have already evaluated Gavin and their official diagnosis is that he's a "mental midget." You'll piss them off.

I thought Adam looked very good at the plate tonight. He battled hard in every at bat and had some good swings.

A win is a win, but I'd still like to see some big two-out hits though...

slavko
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Pitch a shutout, gives you a chance to win. Never a doubt.

Nelfox02
07-22-2011, 10:01 PM
well....solid W. Always big to get game 1 of a series, but this was key IMO because I think this team will have a tough time winning Sunday. so now you get a W tomorrow and you at worst win this series.

Still saw a lot of rough at bats, especially early on.....but Gavin was great tonight, and Matt was solid

Dunn 2 hits? wow

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2011, 10:01 PM
TCQs home run was 409 feet.:cool:

Oh, and the White Sox shutout the Indians. :bandance:

I'll say it now, let's SWEEP the Indians.:gulp:
I could go for that! I bet Cleveland is sick of playing us.

guillensdisciple
07-22-2011, 10:03 PM
The White Sox are to the Indians what the Twins are to the Sox.

These next 5 games are huge must win 4 out of 6 at a minimum and close the gap on both teams. I believe the same pattern will play itself out, but the fact remains that this team can get out of the rut if they play to averages. We'll see though.

Soxman219
07-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice shutout tonight, but the offense still not getting clutch hits.

PeteWard
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
well....solid W. Always big to get game 1 of a series, but this was key IMO because I think this team will have a tough time winning Sunday. so now you get a W tomorrow and you at worst win this series.

Still saw a lot of rough at bats, especially early on.....but Gavin was great tonight, and Matt was solid

Dunn 2 hits? wow

Masterson has not had a bad outing since early June. I think he is due for a bad one. But vs. the Sox hitters...hmmmm. Will be tough to sweep but the Sox need to sweep SOMEBODY. Might as well be Cleveland.

Mohoney
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Great pitching and the 1 big hit. Classic Earl Weaver ball. That is the way this team was designed to win.

PalehosePlanet
07-22-2011, 10:18 PM

And what The Tigers are to the Twins; they're about to beat them for the 11th time in a row.

JermaineDye05
07-22-2011, 10:19 PM

These next 5 games are huge must win 4 out of 6 at a minimum and close the gap on both teams. I believe the same pattern will play itself out, but the fact remains that this team can get out of the rut if they play to averages. We'll see though.

I'm torn.

I like to see the Sox win, but I'm positive that this team needs to rebuild.

If they were to win a couple in this stretch, then all of a sudden the Sox would become buyers and we can probably kiss Viciedo bye.

I'd preferably trade Quentin and see what we can get than trade Viciedo for a bat that will most likely only help us in 2011.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Pale:

Didn't realize it was 11 straight. Bizarre.

Lip

ChiSoxGal85
07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I could go for that! I bet Cleveland is sick of playing us.

White Sox:Cleveland::Twins:White Sox

Gavin was great. Sox still left too many on base for my liking, but they did enough to win.

voodoochile
07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Carlos and Gavin were just enough. Gotta keep winning games get over the hump. Chance to take it to the top two teams in the division these next few days then the fun really begins...

3 games under 5 games back.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

guillensdisciple
07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm torn.

If they were to win a couple in this stretch, then all of a sudden the Sox would become buyers and we can probably kiss Viciedo bye.

I'd preferably trade Quentin and see what we can get than trade Viciedo for a bat that will most likely only help us in 2011.

What makes the White Sox the most odd and infuriating case in all of baseball (in my opinion but I only pay attention to them) is the fact that at a bare minimum they should be an average to an above average team offensively. They were vaulted to be an offensive power house when the season began, and the pitching was supposed to be our weakness. It has become the complete opposite with our pitching being absolutely stifling and our hitting being some of the worst in baseball.

I don't really believe in this team, and usually I would give you the same old line about patterns with the Sox but this team is not working by patterns of old White Sox teams they have not had their traditional streak to first thus raising optimism and then fail towards the end of the season. This time we have been consistently inconsistent and average at best. Arguments have been made that this can't go on forever, and that's really the only argument one can make to somewhat justify this team going on a run and taking this thing.

The division is putrid, it really is, unless the addition of Betemit takes the Tigers over the top look for them to slump after this series. The Sox do play them well, but the problem is the Sox need to begin playing better at home as they have been horrid here too.

A lot of things have to change with this team in order to call this a success and have a run at the post season. The sad thing is, this pitching staff could just be primed for a playoff run the way they are now (IF Jake ever decides to stop talking and pitching this could be a huge pitching staff), but it could all be for naught the way this offense is playing.

We can all grab for something but really we are just grabbing. The fact remains that nothing happened today that should give anyone hope because this offense still sucked and the only guy that did anything was the only guy who has been doing anything. Too many dark holes in this line up.

I think fans though, can try as hard as they want to reject the team they root for because of their inconsistency but a part does look for that light at the end of the tunnel. Probably is illusion but whatever, what else do you have to do this summer as a fan besides watch White Sox baseball?

shingo10
07-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Good win. Tough to be excited about it but if they can win the series then maybe they will get some good momentum.

Don't stop now...

gosox41
07-22-2011, 11:32 PM

Why can't we score more then 3 runs in a game on a consistent basis?

Bob

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2011, 11:50 PM
I think fans though, can try as hard as they want to reject the team they root for because of their inconsistency but a part does look for that light at the end of the tunnel. Probably is illusion but whatever, what else do you have to do this summer as a fan besides watch White Sox baseball?
I don't think Sox fans really are rejecting the team per say. I get the feeling that lots of Sox fans are still watching the games on TV, but they just aren't actually paying to see them play. I'm definitely one of those people. I do feel for those who have thousands of dollars invested in the team right now. It must be difficult for them.

guillensdisciple
07-22-2011, 11:52 PM
I don't think Sox fans really are rejecting the team per say. I get the feeling that lots of Sox fans are still watching the games on TV, but they just aren't actually paying to see them play. I'm definitely one of those people. I do feel for those who have thousands of dollars invested in the team right now. It must be difficult for them.

Yep, those guys have it bad. I am really happy I did not sink in 500 at the beginning of the year for the Ozzie plan.

hawkjt
07-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Clearly,Gavin had his good stuff again tonite...hopefully he is going on one of those 6 week stretches where he is fility...he is capable. Danks and MB are throwing well also...and Edwin..not bad.

Sox got lucky that Carlos cashed in. They need more homers!
PK is scuffling right now,so Carlos and Dunn have got to pick him up. And Alex....?

I am very worried about Huff tomorrow...lefty, just up from the minors,and shut out the Twins on Monday....so he is talented. Masterson is also lights out,then Verlander and Scherzer on Tues,and Wed....get hot Sox bats!!

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Yep, those guys have it bad. I am really happy I did not sink in 500 at the beginning of the year for the Ozzie plan.
Good call on that! I don't even think they give Ozzie Plan holders a discount off of the box office price, so the only real benefit is getting guaranteed seats (but is that really necessary when no games are sold out?).

If the Sox don't make the playoffs this year, and continue down this road of mediocrity, I wonder what the drop-off of season ticket holders will be. I wonder how many fans will say "Enough is enough!" and speak to Kenny and Jerry with less money in their wallets.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Clearly,Gavin had his good stuff again tonite...hopefully he is going on one of those 6 week stretches where he is fility...he is capable. Danks and MB are throwing well also...and Edwin..not bad.

PK is scuffling right now,so Carlos and Dunn have got to pick him up. And Alex....?

I am very worried about Huff tomorrow...lefty, just up from the minors,and shut out the Twins on Monday....so he is talented. Masterson is also lights out,then Verlander and Scherzer on Tues,and Wed....get hot Sox bats!!
They definitely do! This team is "home run or bust." They only do well and win when they're knocking it out of the park.

We got to Verlander last weekend, so we have the capability of getting to him again next week!

delben91
07-23-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm torn.

Really? I couldn't tell. You only say it every third post. Could you make it your signature? Would save you on the typing.

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Really? I couldn't tell. You only say it every third post. Could you make it your signature? Would save you on the typing.

I feel like I need to reiterate it every time, otherwise I'm accused of being a troll because of my negativity with this team.

PalehosePlanet
07-23-2011, 12:28 AM

Huff is 2-0 lifetime against us but it's not because he's pitched well. He's given up 15 runs and 23 hits to us in 15.2 innings. Our team BA is .343 and we are OPS'ing .979 against him.

Hopefully, since we've seen him before and have beaten his ass severely, he'll bring out the best in us.

Of course, with the way our offense has been going, I wouldn't bet too much on it actually happening.

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Huff is 2-0 lifetime against us but it's not because he's pitched well. He's given up 15 runs and 23 hits to us in 15.2 innings. Our team BA is .343 and we are OPS'ing .979 against him.

Hopefully, since we've seen him before and have beaten his ass severely, he'll bring out the best in us.

Of course, with the way our offense has been going, I wouldn't bet too much on it actually happening.

After what Bruce Chen has done to us, I'm not placing any bets with a soft tossing lefty on the mound against us.

PalehosePlanet
07-23-2011, 12:45 AM
After what Bruce Chen has done to us, I'm not placing any bets with a soft tossing lefty on the mound against us.

He's not really a soft tosser, his fastball is 90-92, IIRC. But yeah, we used to beat up on Chen prior to this year too, so I get your point.

thomas35forever
07-23-2011, 12:48 AM
True story. When my friend signed off our radio station for the last time tonight, the guy behind us started clapping. I clapped too and then looked at the TV behind me and saw that TCQ had just homered and he was clapping for that. Pretty funny.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Think we need to modify your quote a little to include Cleveland since we just own them, thomas35forever? :wink:

thomas35forever
07-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Think we need to modify your quote a little to include Cleveland since we just own them, thomas35forever? :wink:
By all means add it in.:)

doublem23
07-23-2011, 01:33 AM
I feel like I need to reiterate it every time, otherwise I'm accused of being a troll because of my negativity with this team.

It's possible that you're percieved as a troll because you feel the need to make the exact same points over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again.

Look around the boards. There are plenty of people who are down on this team, but they are able to make articulate posts on their feelings instead of just posting the same buzzwords like "Juan Pierre" and "rebuilding" and "blow it up" every 10 seconds.

doublem23
07-23-2011, 01:36 AM

I'm pretty sure none of them want or care about your pity. I mean, how many years did you keep going to Blackhawk games religiously during the dark years? Those Hawks teams for most of the past decade were so unbelievably pathetic that they made the 2011 White Sox look like the '27 Yankees.

kufram
07-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Walker should still be fired.

1-7 with RISP and 9 LOB is no bueno.

Please be sure to keep reminding everybody of your completely polarized position no matter what happens. Just in case they forget.

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 03:16 AM
Please be sure to keep reminding everybody of your completely polarized position no matter what happens. Just in case they forget.

Surely you can't be defending the offense.

Yes, they did enough to win.

But they certainly had the opportunity to put the game out of reach and failed to do so. I just wish the team could address this problem.

cards press box
07-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Glad to say

:winner

It's interesting how much better the Sox' offense looks when Adam Dunn gets a couple of hits. Let's hope this game and series give the Sox a jump start!

Jurr
07-23-2011, 07:10 AM
The Sox are playing for their roster, coaches, and GM this next week. Focus and intensity must be at a playoff level. If they win 4/5 of the next six games, this thing has a chance.

It's time for the talent to come around. Last night was a great start.

9in'59
07-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Solid defense: Juan looking much better in the outfield. Teahen perfect at third. Alex, nice catch on a sinking liner.

Outstanding pitching: Gavin broke off some nasty breaking balls. Thornton still scares me, but he got the job done.

Offense: Just enough. It seemed to me that Dunn's bat speed is picking up and he showed the ability to go the other way. He looked confident at the plate. It's just brutal watching Rios try to hit. Overall, too many squandered opportunities to score.

Get on a roll, and the division is ours!

I refuse to give up on this team!!

Sox Win! :gulp:

October26
07-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Solid defense: Juan looking much better in the outfield. Teahen perfect at third. Alex, nice catch on a sinking liner.

Outstanding pitching: Gavin broke off some nasty breaking balls. Thornton still scares me, but he got the job done.

Offense: Just enough. It seemed to me that Dunn's bat speed is picking up and he showed the ability to go the other way. He looked confident at the plate. It's just brutal watching Rios try to hit. Overall, too many squandered opportunities to score.

Get on a roll, and the division is ours!

I refuse to give up on this team!!

Sox Win! :gulp:

I like this post. Just keep winning, White sox! :bandance:

JB98
07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Floyd had all his pitches working from the first inning on. Fortunately, only one clutch hit was necessary. Aside from one great swing by Quentin, the offense was bad again.

tstrike2000
07-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Floyd had all his pitches working from the first inning on. Fortunately, only one clutch hit was necessary. Aside from one great swing by Quentin, the offense was bad again.

And we can't complain that the pitching didn't pitch a shutout since they finally complied with our demands.

JB98
07-23-2011, 01:28 PM
And we can't complain that the pitching didn't pitch a shutout since they finally complied with our demands.

I wish I had Edwin Jackson's cell phone number. I'd text him right now and remind him to pitch a shutout this evening.

tstrike2000
07-23-2011, 01:32 PM
I wish I had Edwin Jackson's cell phone number. I'd text him right now and remind him to pitch a shutout this evening.

And maybe that would also help him to stop throwing 80 pitches over 3 innings since out offense's usual 3 or 4 singles with the occasional extra-base hit doesn't cut the mustard.

fram40
07-23-2011, 01:35 PM

I have an Ozzie plan and I enjoy going to the games. As frustrating as this team is, as bad as they have been, as bad as the weather has been at times, I still enjoy the going.

No matter what has happened so far, five wins in the next five games makes this even more interesting.

FielderJones
07-23-2011, 02:25 PM
And maybe that would also help him to stop throwing 80 pitches over 3 innings since out offense's usual 3 or 4 singles with the occasional extra-base hit doesn't cut the mustard.

He was pretty economical last outing (9 innings, 101 pitches), so let's hope for more of the same.