PDA

View Full Version : Pitching underhanded?

eastchicagosoxfan
07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I just finished reading The Pitched that Killed, which told the story of Carl Mays and Ray Chapman. Mays threw underhanded (I thought he was a submariner, but he actually threw underhanded.) Iron Man Joe McGinnty was also an underhander, as were countless pitchers in the early days of the game. I wonder why no one has tried it in recent memory? Kind of like the knuckleballer. He fails with his standard arsenal, but finds success with a gimmick pitch. Maybe not on the MLB level, but I wonder if there's someone throwing underhanded in one of the idependent leagues. By the way, Mays won over 200 games, so he wasn't a cup of coffe type of guy.

Daver
07-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I just finished reading The Pitched that Killed, which told the story of Carl Mays and Ray Chapman. Mays threw underhanded (I thought he was a submariner, but he actually threw underhanded.) Iron Man Joe McGinnty was also an underhander, as were countless pitchers in the early days of the game. I wonder why no one has tried it in recent memory? Kind of like the knuckleballer. He fails with his standard arsenal, but finds success with a gimmick pitch. Maybe not on the MLB level, but I wonder if there's someone throwing underhanded in one of the idependent leagues. By the way, Mays won over 200 games, so he wasn't a cup of coffe type of guy.

It was a lot easier to do with the higher mound.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
It was a lot easier to do with the higher mound.
Post 1968, or were there other changes in the mound height prior to '68? The Chapman beaning aside, I find it intriguing that a successful style of pitching would have dissapeared from the game after Mays retired.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I think Ted Abernathy also threw that way and Kent Tekulve normally a sidearmer would occasionally toss one like that for a different look.

Lip