PDA

View Full Version : White Sox's Primary Need at the Trade Deadline is a Relief Pitcher?

ChicagoG19
07-21-2011, 11:15 PM
According to Espn's Jim Bowden it is.

I don't know about you guys, but I think the Sox have bigger needs than a relief pitcher.

LINK (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post/_/id/765/ideal-trades-for-al-contenders)
Note: The link is for a Espn Insider article, which requires a subscription.

DSpivack
07-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Sounds like Bowden is clueless.

The White Sox primary need at the deadline, at least to me, is to dump some veterans and get some youth in return.

Thinking that this team has a real shot at the playoffs is asinine.

PalehosePlanet
07-22-2011, 01:20 AM
According to Espn's Jim Bowden it is.

I don't know about you guys, but I think the Sox have bigger needs than a relief pitcher.

LINK (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post/_/id/765/ideal-trades-for-al-contenders)

Bobby Valentine on BBTN said the same thing tonight to the highlight of Sergio's wild pitch game loser last night.

The bullpen, last night notwithstanding, has been outstanding over the last month or so, which makes this statement as far fetched and uninformed as possible.

SoxSpeed22
07-22-2011, 01:29 AM
I think our biggest need is at coaching staff, but that's just me.
Yeah, Sale has had problems lately, but I'm not too worried about the bullpen.

thomas35forever
07-22-2011, 01:30 AM
I have SportsCenter on in the studio at my radio station and one of the "experts" (I think Valentine) thinks we need to shore up our bullpen and find a closer. Apparently, nobody in Bristol has heard of this kid named Santos.

SBSoxFan
07-22-2011, 01:35 AM
I heard that a few places, and yes, it sounds clueless. These same people also say the Twins are set in the bullpen. :rolleyes: :scratch:

JermaineDye05
07-22-2011, 03:37 AM
The primary need for this team is to start rebuilding.

DumpJerry
07-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Something I've never been tempted to spend money to obtain.

Dibbs
07-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I heard that as well. ESPN should be embarrassed of themselves. Hard to believe they could be so uninformed.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-22-2011, 10:27 AM
I completely disagree with those who say ESPN is misguided and that the Sox don't need a relief pitcher. They absolutely do need several for the future of the team.

They need a low-A relief pitcher for Adam Dunn and his contract.
They need a rookie league relief pitcher for Alex Rios and his contract.

Get it, uh, dunn.

JermaineDye05
07-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I completely disagree with those who say ESPN is misguided and that the Sox don't need a relief pitcher. They absolutely do need several for the future of the team.

They need a low-A relief pitcher for Adam Dunn and his contract.
They need a rookie league relief pitcher for Alex Rios and his contract.

Get it, uh, dunn.

I'm not selling low on either of them right now.

Kenny made that same mistake with Swisher a couple years ago.

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2011, 01:04 PM
We need far more people who can HIT the baseball rather than THROW the baseball!

tstrike2000
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
We have one guy who's batting average is approaching a low not seen since 1906 and another who's OPS is actually lower than the first guy, so yeah, I'd also say pitching needs to take a back seat to offensive needs.

Tragg
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
It would be ridiculous to trade more scarce young resources for yet another relief pitcher. Our bullpen's solid as is and the guy we just sent down looks capable. There's not much we can do, unless we trade vet for vet or break it down a little.

SoxNation05
07-22-2011, 02:12 PM

I hold onto Dunn but Rios, anyone who will take him can have him.

steviestayfresh
07-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I say we go after Scott Linebrink

KyWhiSoxFan
07-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Dunn and Swisher are different. Dunn's contract is far more punitive to the Sox than Swisher's ever was in the event of failure. It is crippling for three more years if he has decided to retire and just play out the string now that he has a huge, 4-year contract.

And Rios pretty much has proven to be a dud for two of the three half seasons he has played for the Sox. He is killing this team.

But neither one was my point anyway. It was not supposed to be taken seriously. (And you couldn't get anything for either one right now if you wanted to get rid of them.)