PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually enjoy Coop on the Score?

Harry Chappas
07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Don't get me wrong - I love what he has done for the Sox staff since he's been here, but I'm not sure if the Sox/Score could have come up with a worse representative if they had tried. Putting aside the fact that his accent is enough to make me want to puncture my ear drums with a screwdriver, he offers no insight whatsoever. His answers are a collection of cliches peppered with a healthy dose of "you know" - unless you dare offer a critical assessment of anyone on the team - then he gets belligerent.

So Hanley or Rossner ask him an honest question this AM about something that is of interest to the fans and he hangs up? Once again, the Sox fail at the PR game. Not that I expected anything close to enlightening from him, but was it really so difficult to answer?

This team - top to bottom - may go down as my least favorite in my lifetime. They're not even "fun bad" to borrow a term from Bernstein.

DumpJerry
07-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I enjoy listening to him when he makes his appearances. He does not try to put a positive spin where one is not deserved.

SCarolina_Ron
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah He's fine. Tells it like it is. We all have weird accents to other areas of country/world.

JermaineDye05
07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
I enjoy the way he coaches pitching. That's really all that matters.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-21-2011, 02:14 PM
I turn off the radio as soon as I hear he's coming on. He gets testy whenever there is a slightly critical question to anything. You have to lob softball questions for him to say anything really. Not sure why the Score even bothers with this segment. Yes is a good pitching coach, but comes off as crude in these segments.

CHISOXFAN13
07-21-2011, 02:29 PM
I usually think he's fine, but hanging up today was a joke. Hope the Score rips up the check they send him every week.

hawkjt
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I like his spots. Today he talked about how Johnny Danks poor mechanics probably caused his oblique injury and now that he is using better mechanics to avoid that injury,his pitching is better. Stuff like that.

I also do not blame him for being a bit testy today. He is the pitching coach,and Hanley was trying to get him to opine on the offense...Coop knows better. And on personnel moves...Coop knows better.

And Rozner is the guy that questioned the Sox handling of Peavy all spring,saying he would never start til July....well, he was dead wrong. He implied the Sox coaching staff was blowing smoke...he never came back and said he was wrong. I am sure Coop hears about crap like that.

Does Coop tend to be protective of his pitchers...sure,but that is his job.
If they don't like him,cancel him. I would miss him.

TheOldRoman
07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I haven't heard Cooper on the Score because I don't listen to pre or postgame shows unless I'm in my car. However, I see nothing wrong with him hanging up on them today. Would it be a relevant question if a reporter asked Mike Martz why the Bears' defense performed poorly in a game? Should they ask Brian Urlacher about how insane it was of Martz to call a reverse on 3rd and 2? No. Cooper coaches the pitchers, so to ask him about anything outside of issues relating to the pitchers he coaches is out of bounds. This question was Hanley trolling and hoping to stir up controversy. Often times interviewers will provide the questions beforehand so the person can have a concise answer ready. Judging by the fact that he hung up, it's possible that Cooper specifically told them NOT to ask about Viciedo before the interview and they did it anyway. Either way, asking the pitching coach what is wrong with the offense and coaxing him to throw the manager/GM under the bus for not brining up a kid he knows little about is unprofessional at best.

kobo
07-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Hanging up during an interview is unprofessional as well. He simply could have said he won't answer questions related to personnel or the offense, he's done that before. It's just another example of bad PR by a member of the White Sox this year.

daveeym
07-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I haven't heard Cooper on the Score because I don't listen to pre or postgame shows unless I'm in my car. However, I see nothing wrong with him hanging up on them today. Would it be a relevant question if a reporter asked Mike Martz why the Bears' defense performed poorly in a game? Should they ask Brian Urlacher about how insane it was of Martz to call a reverse on 3rd and 2? No. Cooper coaches the pitchers, so to ask him about anything outside of issues relating to the pitchers he coaches is out of bounds. This question was Hanley trolling and hoping to stir up controversy. Often times interviewers will provide the questions beforehand so the person can have a concise answer ready. Judging by the fact that he hung up, it's possible that Cooper specifically told them NOT to ask about Viciedo before the interview and they did it anyway. Either way, asking the pitching coach what is wrong with the offense and coaxing him to throw the manager/GM under the bus for not brining up a kid he knows little about is unprofessional at best.
Having not heard the spot but this being the best explained I'll go with this. Coop tells it like it is but will keep to his end of the dugout. I like his spots.

HaroMaster87
07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I think think the guy comes off like a total DB...he is always super snippy with Rongey during the prgames too...

That being said, I think he is a very good coach. Therefore I just dont listen. Dont care what he says, I care what he does...

Brian26
07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Hanging up during an interview is unprofessional as well. He simply could have said he won't answer questions related to personnel or the offense, he's done that before. It's just another example of bad PR by a member of the White Sox this year.

I'd like to see things go back to the way they were in 2004 and 2005 when nobody on the Sox was doing a weekly radio interview segment. After they won the Series, AJ and Ozzie both signed on, and Coop followed soon after.

Everyone comes off bad here, but Coop should know better. The morning show pulled the same nonsense last year when they tried to divide Coop and Ozzie when they asked Cooper about throwing at batters. Ozzie said they never discussed it, and then Cooper the next morning said it's an order that comes down from Ozzie. Great. Of course, you've got a talentless suburban newspaper hack like Rozner trying to make a name for himself since he's the red-headed fill-in stepchild at the Score and wants a permanent position.

JB98
07-21-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd like to see things go back to the way they were in 2004 and 2005 when nobody on the Sox was doing a weekly radio interview segment. After they won the Series, AJ and Ozzie both signed on, and Coop followed soon after.

Everyone comes off bad here, but Coop should know better. The morning show pulled the same nonsense last year when they tried to divide Coop and Ozzie when they asked Cooper about throwing at batters. Ozzie said they never discussed it, and then Cooper the next morning said it's an order that comes down from Ozzie. Great. Of course, you've got a talentless suburban newspaper hack like Rozner trying to make a name for himself since he's the red-headed fill-in stepchild at the Score and wants a permanent position.

I resemble that remark. :redneck

Brian26
07-21-2011, 07:50 PM
I resemble that remark. :redneck

You have more talent than Rozner by a longshot. You could probably do a better radio show than him too.

tstrike2000
07-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Cooper should've handled it differently, but everyone understands the frustration he must have. He's being asked about a garbage offense and potential offensive moves when he's there to talk about pitching. Williams' aggressive moves have finally come back to bite this team and financially handicapped it for a few years to come with veteran dead weight. When you throw a completely substandard coaching staff on top of it, Cooper should be seeing better dividends from a team that leads the division in ERA but doesn't score runs.

tstrike2000
07-21-2011, 07:52 PM
You have more talent than Rozner by a longshot. You could probably do a better radio show than him too.

I concur.

JB98
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM

People have often told me I should try my hand at radio. Unfortunately, I say words like "****" and "****" too often when discussing this year's White Sox team, so I don't know how that would work out.

I did appear on thomas35forever's college radio show a couple years back without incident though. :redneck

Johnny Mostil
07-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately, I say words like "****" and "****" too often when discussing this year's White Sox team, so I don't know how that would work out.

Eh, so does Ozzie Guillén . . . :cool:

Daver
07-21-2011, 08:38 PM
People have often told me I should try my hand at radio. Unfortunately, I say words like "****" and "****" too often when discussing this year's White Sox team, so I don't know how that would work out.

I did a few internet radio/ radio interviews after the World Series in 2005, as well as a couple online interviews, they turned out all right despite the fact that it was me doing them.

I even got interviewed by some intern from SI, but that got me a sneak peak at the WS cover and a dozen free issues of the magazine.

all*star quentin
07-21-2011, 09:15 PM
In this article, Coop said, nice try asking me to bring up bleeping Viciendo. I'm not in charge of making moves you know. I'm in charge of coaching.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/07/21/coop-follows-suit-goes-on-his-own-rant/

At the bottom of the article, you can listen to the interview.

balke
07-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Coop's the pitching coach - why do I care what he thinks about bringing Viciedo up?

And what answer could he possibly give that would be good?

P.S. I do like when I hear Coop on the show. He's not there to be the pot stirrer - he's there to talk pitching. You can learn interesting things about the teams pitching - and pitchers around the league. Also, you find out what he thinks about the 6-man rotation etc.

DumpJerry
07-21-2011, 09:35 PM

I did appear on thomas35forever's college radio show a couple years back without incident though. :redneck
I did some radio work when I was in college. Even though I was always cursing a blue streak, somehow it never happened when the mic was on.

BainesHOF
07-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Why did Cooper agree to do paid interviews when he doesn't want to answer questions?

The Score needs to kill Cooper's segments, including the pregame one. I don't like listening to a guy who always acts like it's a big chore to answer basic questions, especially when he's being paid to answer them.

Rozner, by the way, is a bad listen. It's clear he's angling for a full-time Score gig. He's not entertaining or clever or even honest. He says he's not a Cubs fan, but he loves talking and writing about the Cubs, especially his old friends that he made when he was the team's beat writer. In a word, boring.

kaufsox
07-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I haven't relistened to the segment, but didn't coop say something about needing to score runs, then Rosner asked the Vicendo question? If that's the case it seems like a pretty fair question.

hawkjt
07-22-2011, 01:20 AM
No, they asked about the pitchers winning games and just said winning takes pitching,scoring and defense...did not open the door to an indepth question about the offense. The interview was wrapping up anyway,so I do not see it as a big deal. I like hearing about our pitching staff from the pitching coach a whole lot more than more fans calling in to exchange bitching with Hanley(king of bitchers) and Rozner(Mr Know it all)./

billcissell
07-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Don Cooper is a terrific pitching coach. His record of achievement with White Sox hurlers speaks for itself.

On the radio he comes off as direct and honest, although some may consider him to be somewhat of a hard ass.

Rosner and Hanley are typical SCORE reporters. They're always trolling for something during an interview. When it comes to Guillen, it's usually pretty easy to get a rise out of him. They used to do the same thing with Piniella when he managed on the north side.

Cooper is not going to comment on personnel moves, bringing up Viciedo, strategic offensive moves, the piss poor offense, etc. He's too smart for that. And I believe he's made it clear that he won't discuss those kind of topics on the air. If you want to talk Sox pitching, fine. He'll tell you what's going on and why.

Hanging up may be considered rude. I assume it's the end result of a very frustrating season for him as well as the rest of the Sox coaching staff.

Then again, the SCORE reporters should have known better than to venture into the line of questioning with Cooper.

tacosalbarojas
07-22-2011, 02:17 PM
These guys are trying to create a buzz to get more listeners...it's radio 101. So, they could go with some staid questions and attaboys about how great and consistent the pitching has been....or you could go down the road of saying hey the offense really could use a boost to help your pitching...we've been hearing a lot about Viciedo coming up, what do you think? This was the gist of the conversation, they knew Coop would likely have a negative reaction and indeed got one, one that got played over and over again yesterday. So Coop can be upset all he wants about the line of questioning, but at the end of the day he gave them exactly what they wanted. Now, he can either quit the job and stop appearing or come back on, maybe apologize a bit and move on. Personally I hope it's the former. As a person who listens quite a bit, Coop has become more belligerent and less entertaining a listen as the years go on.

And oh yeah, for those who missed it, in the previous week's segment, he went on for most of it with a long harangue about the fans booing Dunn and how they shouldn't be booing...so if he can talk about that, he can answer Viciedo questions.

daveeym
07-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I did a few internet radio/ radio interviews after the World Series in 2005, as well as a couple online interviews, they turned out all right despite the fact that it was me doing them.

I even got interviewed by some intern from SI, but that got me a sneak peak at the WS cover and a dozen free issues of the magazine.Ok so it's your fault for the hose job the sox got on the cover. You didn't raise hell over that?

TheOldRoman
07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Ok so it's your fault for the hose job the sox got on the cover. You didn't raise hell over that?Dude, MANNING WAS FACING BRADY! IN THE REGULAR SEASON! That doesn't happen very often, and it clearly was a turning point for western civilization. That wasn't a once-in-88-years type thing, and failing to put it on the cover would have been a crime against humanity.

JermaineDye05
07-22-2011, 03:59 PM
When you listen to the interview, Coop makes it sound like the clubhouse is split with hitters and pitchers.

tsoxman
07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Coop is one of the top pitching coaches in all of baseball. But, he also has no business of being a paid media contributer. He clearly cannot handle difficult questions, he bristles with anger when such questions are asked, and acts like a total ass-bag. Why he keeps doing these gigs is beyond me.

balke
07-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Coop is one of the top pitching coaches in all of baseball. But, he also has no business of being a paid media contributer. He clearly cannot handle difficult questions, he bristles with anger when such questions are asked, and acts like a total ass-bag. Why he keeps doing these gigs is beyond me.

GMAB. Let's fire him too so we can get a guy to talk to the idiots at the score. We need a better AM radio soundbite machine stat!

Coop didn't fall for an obvious trap. There was NO answer he could give to that question - he has no say in the offense. And honestly he's always been entertaining.

tsoxman
07-22-2011, 07:01 PM
GMAB. Let's fire him too so we can get a guy to talk to the idiots at the score. We need a better AM radio soundbite machine stat!

Coop didn't fall for an obvious trap. There was NO answer he could give to that question - he has no say in the offense. And honestly he's always been entertaining.
Did I say that we should fire him? Please, give ME a break.

God forbid we ask anyone in this organization difficult questions. Hanley posed the question to Don very sincerely and did not deserve the response that he got. As posted by others on this thread, there are better ways of dealing with questions like that than the manner he displayed.