PDA

View Full Version : Dunn Thinking of Quitting?

Viva Medias B's
07-20-2011, 10:39 PM
According to this from CSN Chicago, Adam Dunn is considering retirement in the wake of his troubles.

Link (http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/word_on_the_street?awid=6193740733692009153)

blandman
07-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm thinking about Adam Dunn retiring as well.

DSpivack
07-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Wouldn't be a terrible thing for the White Sox, then they wouldn't be on hook for the rest of his contract.

Soxman219
07-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Get it Dunn!

DirtySox
07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Not going to happen.

Full article here. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_adam_dunn_slump_quitting_072011)

WhiteSoxOnly
07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Can he take the other underperformers with him ?

RCWHITESOX
07-20-2011, 11:11 PM

Amen

central44
07-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Seems like his self-awareness is hurting him. He says he sucks, which as a fan is good to hear because at least he acknowledges it.

But it also sounds like he's down on himself, putting a ton of pressure on himself, and thinking way too much about his at bats. Being a DH probably makes it that much more likely that this all gets into his head.

I never played baseball beyond little league but I was a good basketball player. I know that what helped us was having "short memories," so to speak--not to dwell on the shots that didn't go in, be afraid you're going to miss, etc. It seems like baseball is a LOT like that--don't over think it, just do it, and when you're not thinking you're at your best. Dunn seems like a classic case of over thinking things.

I don't think he's washed up though. I think he's just going through a hellish slump.

thomas35forever
07-20-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't think he's washed up though. I think he's just going through a hellish slump.
If it's a hellish slump, it's gotta be approaching some sort of record.

DSpivack
07-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Well, as the linked article said, he has the lowest batting average in the modern era for a qualifying player. And right now he has that dubious record by 20 points.

central44
07-21-2011, 12:55 AM

Probably. But I just don't believe that Adam Dunn is really THIS bad. His skills couldn't have completely evaporated since last year.

TomBradley72
07-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Probably. But I just don't believe that Adam Dunn is really THIS bad. His skills couldn't have completely evaporated since last year.

It started last year- he hit .223 in the 2nd half- .199 vs. lefties for all of 2010-

Hitmen77
07-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Yep, maybe he can talk Alex Rios into joining him.

The Sox owe these two dead weights $26M next year. Remember that when this team slashes payroll elsewhere.

In fact, maybe Kenny, Ozzie, and Walker should think about quitting too.

34 Inch Stick
07-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Once he stops taking the performance detracting drugs he will be back to normal.

g0g0
07-21-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't think I could respect him as a player if he quit after having a bad season. Great players find a way to come back. He needs to have a great off season and come back strong next year.

guillensdisciple
07-21-2011, 08:30 AM
I am really happy he knows he sucks.

delben91
07-21-2011, 08:57 AM
I am really happy he knows he sucks.

If he doesn't start to play better, how is that knowledge helpful? :scratch:

I for one would prefer he start hitting again than take joy from the fact that he realizes he's terrible.

tstrike2000
07-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Once he stops taking the performance detracting drugs he will be back to normal.

I think they're called donuts.

harwar
07-21-2011, 11:17 AM
i've thought that he was hurt all year because he looked so bad at the plate but now i'm guessing that he's at least partially become a head case and perhaps dreads going up to bat right now

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Walkeroids?

TDog
07-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't think I could respect him as a player if he quit after having a bad season. Great players find a way to come back. He needs to have a great off season and come back strong next year.

On the contrary, I think I would have more respect for a player as a human being if he retired and passed up millions of dollars in guaranteed money if he believed he couldn't perform at the level that justified the team's financial commitment to him.

I already have great respect for Adam Dunn as a person, and this would increase it. I have never had respect for him as a baseball player.

SOXfnNlansing
07-21-2011, 07:40 PM
I think Albert Belle walked away from guaranteed money. It's been a while, but that happened iirc.

pearso66
07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
I think Albert Belle walked away from guaranteed money. It's been a while, but that happened iirc.

But he was also injured if I remember correctly. I believe he had bad knees or something like that that prevented him from playing. Dunn is healthy.

lpneck
07-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I think they're called donuts.

:rolling:

You win the thread.

gosox41
07-22-2011, 01:19 AM

Gil Meche walked away from millions.

Bob

PalehosePlanet
07-22-2011, 02:59 AM

Belle could no longer play after the 2000 season, but he dd not officially retire at the time and collected over 37 million for the 2001-2003 seasons.

34rancher
07-22-2011, 07:28 AM
So let me get this straight, rather than actually trying to get in shape, condition offseason, being a professional, he's talking about quitting if it's not fun? No wonder this guy has never been on a winning team. He's the kind who is in it for "fun" and not actually working hard? Damn I've never been so right about not wanting a player on my team. Get this idiot off the Sox. Heck, I'd trade him for Soriano straight up right now.

soltrain21
07-22-2011, 08:50 AM
So let me get this straight, rather than actually trying to get in shape, condition offseason, being a professional, he's talking about quitting if it's not fun? No wonder this guy has never been on a winning team. He's the kind who is in it for "fun" and not actually working hard? Damn I've never been so right about not wanting a player on my team. Get this idiot off the Sox. Heck, I'd trade him for Soriano straight up right now.

He is an idiot because baseball isn't completely, 100 percent his life?

Sports. SERIOUS ****ING BUSINESS.

kaufsox
07-22-2011, 09:57 AM
well, he seems to imply that he's still having fun, ergo still playing. If he starts hitting, can we expect to see him doing backflips and handstands in the dugout? Blowing bubbles?

Fenway
07-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Gammons on WEEI said this morning that Jim Rice has been watching Dunn and *thinks* he made need eyeglasses.

Rice went through a similar slump and it turned out he did need glasses.

Look at this point it can't hurt to send him to an eye doctor.

tstrike2000
07-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Gammons on WEEI said this morning that Jim Rice has been watching Dunn and *thinks* he made need eyeglasses.

I suppose it's possible, but wouldn't someone have suggested him to see an eye doctor after about....April?

Lip Man 1
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/la-sp-0722-dodgers-aaron-miles-20110722,0,2398372.story

Maybe Petey has a better chance about being correct about this issue than his comment that "Ozzie will be fired" during the All Star break.

:tongue:

Lip

Fenway
07-22-2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/la-sp-0722-dodgers-aaron-miles-20110722,0,2398372.story

Maybe Petey has a better chance about being correct about this issue than his comment that "Ozzie will be fired" during the All Star break.

:tongue:

Lip

He is at a loss at why Chicago has yet to do something....

ElevenUp
07-22-2011, 10:51 AM

So am I.

Hitmen77
07-22-2011, 12:32 PM

It's because Ozzie and Walker are doing a great job, that's why!

g0g0
07-22-2011, 03:59 PM
On the contrary, I think I would have more respect for a player as a human being if he retired and passed up millions of dollars in guaranteed money if he believed he couldn't perform at the level that justified the team's financial commitment to him.

I already have great respect for Adam Dunn as a person, and this would increase it. I have never had respect for him as a baseball player.

But after one year? After he's had multiple productive years before that? I could see if he was 35 in a huge contract and failing the past couple of years, but this guy just hit the jackpot and isn't delivering. He needs to suck it up and get it done.

TDog
07-22-2011, 05:39 PM
But after one year? After he's had multiple productive years before that? I could see if he was 35 in a huge contract and failing the past couple of years, but this guy just hit the jackpot and isn't delivering. He needs to suck it up and get it done.

If he doesn't believe he can do it anymore, turning down guaranteed money after hitting the jackpot would show an incredible amount of integrity.

Normally, players who play poorly after signing a big contract continue to get paid, whether they are injured, get traded or released or wallow on the bench. Julio Cruz was still being paid by the White Sox when he was just hanging on with Fresno in the Class A California League at the age of 33.

I don't believe and never have believed that Adam Dunn sucking it up would get the job done.

balke
07-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Didn't AJ do really well one year when he was playing a video game that tough hand eye coordination? Might not hurt to try either.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Tribune reporting tonight Dunn is upset with that story, blames himself for talking to the wrong people. Has no intention of "retiring."

Darn...

Lip

GlassSox
07-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Lip

I just read the same thing on MLB news. He is doing a whole lot of back pedaling.