PDA

View Full Version : Jays to retire Roberto Alomar's No. 12

g0g0
07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6783914/toronto-blue-jays-retire-roberto-alomar-no-12?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

:scratch: I find this curious as he is the first for them to officially retire. Why didn't they retire Joe Carter's or Carlos Delgado's numbers first? When I think of Toronto I think of those players.

MeteorsSox4367
07-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Dave Stieb? It seemed like Stieb always pitched well against the Sox.

soltrain21
07-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Most pitchers do.

BleacherBandit
07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6783914/toronto-blue-jays-retire-roberto-alomar-no-12?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

:scratch: I find this curious as he is the first for them to officially retire. Why didn't they retire Joe Carter's or Carlos Delgado's numbers first? When I think of Toronto I think of those players.

I'm surprised any team would retire his number. He was the best second basemen ever but he didn't play for a team longer than five seasons.

Foulke You
07-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised any team would retire his number. He was the best second basemen ever but he didn't play for a team longer than five seasons.
Alomar was a big part of their two World Series championships in 1991 and 1992. I think he is more than worthy of number retirement for the Blue Jays plus he is headed to the Hall of Fame.

doublem23
07-19-2011, 05:02 PM

We live in a world where the Rays retired #12 for Wade Boggs and the Heat have retired #23 for Michael Jordan and #13 for Dan Marino so nothing surprises me.

jdm2662
07-19-2011, 05:09 PM
We live in a world where the Rays retired #12 for Wade Boggs and the Heat have retired #23 for Michael Jordan and #13 for Dan Marino so nothing surprises me.

And the Celtics retiring like 20 numbers, including a guy that wasn't even a starter.

PKalltheway
07-20-2011, 12:13 AM

IIRC, the Blue Jays for the longest time did not retire numbers, but they had something called the "Level of Excellence" in which they would honor Jays greats like Joe Carter, Cito Gaston, Dave Stieb, etc. Since Alomar will be the first player to actually go in the Hall of Fame with the Jays, it makes sense.

Viva Medias B's
07-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Roberto's number 12 should be retired for him, but I think Steib and Carter's numbers should be retired too.

I think it's a neat concept that the Heat retired Jordan and Marino's numbers. If the White Sox announced that they are going to retire No. 34 in honor of Walter Payton, I am sure none of us would complain (unless you are a Gavin Floyd diehard).

tstrike2000
07-20-2011, 12:37 AM

In his prime, Stieb had some filthy stuff. Good competitor and good pitcher who I believe one time lost two no-hitters in the ninth inning only 5 days apart.

DumpJerry
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
So, they have not retired Alex Rios' number yet?

34 Inch Stick
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM
As a kid, I used to get either Garth or Dane Iorge in just about any pack of baseball cards. That is a level of excellence.

soltrain21
07-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Roberto's number 12 should be retired for him, but I think Steib and Carter's numbers should be retired too.

I think it's a neat concept that the Heat retired Jordan and Marino's numbers. If the White Sox announced that they are going to retire No. 34 in honor of Walter Payton, I am sure none of us would complain (unless you are a Gavin Floyd diehard).

That would be pretty dumb.

DSpivack
07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
And the Celtics retiring like 20 numbers, including a guy that wasn't even a starter.

Havlicek? He's also in the Hall of Fame. I don't see anything wrong with retiring his number.