PDA

View Full Version : Uverse Multiview "previews": not good

KenBerryGrab
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Living out of market, I don't normally see the Comcast coverage of Sox games. With the free look-in on MLB Extra Innings, I've seen a few this week.

What does everyone think of the Uverse Multiview segments? I hate them! You take away my nice full-screen HD picture to give me one main screen and three camera takes that range from unfocused to zipping around to what the director has chosen to air.

Hell-O! That's why there are directors! These "choose-your-own" options might sound good in principle, but in practice they stink! I don't want to be sitting in the production truck. I want to sit back and enjoy a well-produced game broadcast directed and switched by professionals.

ChiSoxGal85
07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I agree. Even worse, they don't ever seem to use when it might actually be interesting - say, when a runner or two are on base. When it might be interesting to watch an attempted steal in one panel and the batter and pitcher in other panels. :rolleyes:

KMcMahon817
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Hahaha..so funny! I say something to my girlfriend about it every game...she calls it "my favorite part of the game"..sarcastically. It's so dumb, and it only uses like 40% of the screen.

eriqjaffe
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I find it kind of ironic that they do it on games on Comcast.

And if you think it's bad on a nice big TV, try it on my 27" tube set sometime. :mad:

JayBeast
09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
The segment is supposed to promote the 5 channels that you can watch, but they just waste my screen and even worse there are no multiview channels for Sox games, only Cubs!!!

Milw
09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Uverse offers a host of multiview channels (news, sports, kids, etc.), and it gives you the option to customize one yourself. Unlike the multiview they show in the Sox games, those aren't different views of the same show, it's really just a glorified picture-in-picture over several channels.

As a Uverse subscriber, I can count on one hand the number of minutes I've ever spent on these channels. Even on a large HDTV, everything's too small to see what's going on.

I do wish they'd stop it in the Sox games, regardless. Most in-game advertising is benign and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't detract from the game; that's not the case in this situation.

Dibbs
09-18-2012, 04:04 PM
It is terrible. It might not be as bad if they used the entire left side of the screen for the big picture, and not waste all of that space.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
It is terrible. It might not be as bad if they used the entire left side of the screen for the big picture, and not waste all of that space.Yeah, exactly. I paid a lot of money for my big-screen HDTV, and then they essentially force me to watch a few 15" monitors for a while, with a whole bunch of unused space between them. It stinks.

DSpivack
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah, exactly. I paid a lot of money for my big-screen HDTV, and then they essentially force me to watch a few 15" monitors for a while, with a whole bunch of unused space between them. It stinks.

I can see the appeal of the U-Verse Multiview they have for Cubs home games (12 or so different cable channels locally, each dedicated to a different camera or particular angle of interest). But what they have during Sox games just to advertise U-Verse is nothing but annoying.

PatK
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Anytime I've tried to use it, it doesn't seem to work.

Either that, or it just really sucks

JayBeast
09-19-2012, 02:38 AM
i can see the appeal of the u-verse multiview they have for cubs home games (12 or so different cable channels locally, each dedicated to a different camera or particular angle of interest). But what they have during sox games just to advertise u-verse is nothing but annoying.

+1

JayBeast
09-19-2012, 02:46 AM
Uverse offers a host of multiview channels (news, sports, kids, etc.), and it gives you the option to customize one yourself. Unlike the multiview they show in the Sox games, those aren't different views of the same show, it's really just a glorified picture-in-picture over several channels.

As a Uverse subscriber, I can count on one hand the number of minutes I've ever spent on these channels. Even on a large HDTV, everything's too small to see what's going on.

I do wish they'd stop it in the Sox games, regardless. Most in-game advertising is benign and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't detract from the game; that's not the case in this situation.

I agree, but if you ever watch a Cubs game on U-verse they give you a channel for every camera at the game as part of the "Multiview" so you ca watch the dugout all game, or the pitcher, or outfield....
I have not yet seen this for the Sox broadcast, yet they advertise it every game.

SOXSINCE'70
09-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Not a fan.:angry:

It always seems that the "UVerse" view comes up at a crucial point of the game.Just my 2 cents worth: I don't need 4 different views.The one from the CF camera is fine by me.

Chez
09-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Yes, the AT&T U-verse multi-whatever is annoying. But not half as annoying as the Comcast commercials with Brian Urlacher which run every half inning. Why does that woman faint at the sight of Brian Urlacher?

SOXSINCE'70
09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Why does that woman faint at the sight of Brian Urlacher?

Just an FYI:

Actually,to be specific,she faints about the fact that,after 1 year,DirecTV increases their bill by 100 %.If you listen closely,you can hear her faintly say, "We can't aford that".

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I think we're talking about two different things. One is the Uverse demonstrations they put on as an advertising thing, and you have no choice but to sit there with multiple small screen views until they're done. The other is actually having Uverse, and then apparently you can select which of the views you want to watch. The first is just annoying, the second would be a little less so, although I wouldn't want to have to sit there with my remote in my hand playing director.

DSpivack
09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I think we're talking about two different things. One is the Uverse demonstrations they put on as an advertising thing, and you have no choice but to sit there with multiple small screen views until they're done. The other is actually having Uverse, and then apparently you can select which of the views you want to watch. The first is just annoying, the second would be a little less so, although I wouldn't want to have to sit there with my remote in my hand playing director.

That is indeed the case. The U-Verse Multiview ad thing is just annoying and adds nothing to the game.

The other thing on U-Verse is only available right now for Cubs home games. It doesn't require you to switch stations to watch the game (the normal game channel is available), just gives that option.

Chez
09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Just an FYI:

Actually,to be specific,she faints about the fact that,after 1 year,DirecTV increases their bill by 100 %.If you listen closely,you can hear her faintly say, "We can't aford that".

Maybe. But "that" could be referring to Brian Urlacher! :cool:

Foulke You
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm also not a fan of AT&T "Worthless View". It makes the critical camera angle really tiny even on my big screen. When I'm watching on my 32" bedroom TV, it becomes ridiculously small. I hate it but I understand the Sox organization needs to pay the bills. I just wish the ad wasn't so obtrusive.