PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best future?

A. Cavatica
07-18-2011, 11:47 PM
With our anemic offense, I'm amazed that the Quentin trade rumors don't die. Among hitters on the Sox roster, who has the best future?

JermaineDye05
07-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Juan Pierre

SephClone89
07-18-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm afraid I don't really understand the question.

Nellie_Fox
07-19-2011, 12:22 AM
You want me to compare the futures of three guys, one of whom is a long-time veteran who's closer to the end than the beginning of his career, one who's shown actual major-league performance, is still young, but is apparently somewhat emotionally fragile and inconsistent, and one who's in the minor leagues? How in the hell are we supposed to do that? It's comparing apples to cumquats to roast beef.

kevingrt
07-19-2011, 06:19 AM
You want me to compare the futures of three guys, one of whom is a long-time veteran who's closer to the end than the beginning of his career, one who's shown actual major-league performance, is still young, but is apparently somewhat emotionally fragile and inconsistent, and one who's in the minor leagues? How in the hell are we supposed to do that? It's comparing apples to cumquats to roast beef.

I love fruit.

But completely agree. And what is the future? The rest of their respective careers or just three seasons? This question is sooooo loaded...

Zakath
07-19-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm voting Other to represent the required, albeit absent, Churro option.

A. Cavatica
07-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Look at it as "which one (if any) should we keep to build around"?

Trading Q makes no sense to me.

guillensdisciple
07-19-2011, 08:31 AM
A lot said that Carlos Quentin is the make up of Konerko in that one used to beat each other when he was younger over the small things and the other still does. If that is the case, and Konerko actually grew out of it and became this consistent of a hitter, it would suck royally if we give up on Quentin and he gets out of it and goes on to lead a team somewhere else. Besides he will probably be a good 1b replacement option one of these days.

GoSox2K3
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I vote for frozen concentrated orange juice.

delben91
07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
I'd put Beckham in the list. I know saying he's been inconsistent would be very kind at this point, but I also think the Sox beyond rushed him to the majors and he's doing his development here. How he's played defensively all year, and his offense the last 2-3 weeks shows me the talent is still there.

Bob Roarman
07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Halfway past Beckham's third season, I don't really buy the whole "rushed him to the Majors" thing at this point. There's nothing in the minors that's going to help him, especially now. I don't see how it really figures into it anymore. It would have been legitimate if he continued to struggle and struggle and struggle after getting called up (like he initially did), but he didn't. He adjusted. He overcame and went on to become a Rookie of the Year nominee. Second year, struggled first half, second half adjusted and was looking good until he got hurt.

It's on him to make the adjustments. That's the game. League adjusts to you, you have to adjust back. If he can't, then he becomes a utility man, a bench player, defensive replacement. Maybe that's what he ultimately is, don't know yet, but those guys come from somewhere, there are more of them than there are all star caliber players. Sending him to the minors isn't going to help that. I mean there was a person that posted about him not being able to fully adjust to using wooden bats in his rookie year and it's his THIRD season playing pro ball and it's somehow playing a role in all this. That has nothing to do with it anymore. He's past that, if that ever was a problem for him to begin with.

harwar
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
I'd put Beckham in the list. I know saying he's been inconsistent would be very kind at this point, but I also think the Sox beyond rushed him to the majors and he's doing his development here. How he's played defensively all year, and his offense the last 2-3 weeks shows me the talent is still there.

I expect him to be in the all star game in the,not too distant,future .. he was definitely on the fast track coming up, to the point that his head must have been spinning when he got the the big leagues .. the fact that he seems to have retained his confidence after struggling so bad, shows just what he's made of ..

Harry Chappas
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Assuming PK has invested wisely, I think he has the best future - one full of vacation homes and pro am golf tourneys.

DSpivack
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Konerko is having a nice season, but as he is towards the end of his career, it's nothing but a pretty sunset.

Quentin is incredibly streaky, and I don't have much confidence he will ever become more than he is right now, a power bat you can't rely on.

Viciedo, I don't know, I'm sure the Sox will find some way to screw him up, or will end up trading him for some youngster who they screw up, as well.

Zisk77
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Well, anyone can roast beef, but can you pea soup? :redneck I'll take cumquats cuz it sounds funny.

sullythered
07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Assuming PK has invested wisely, I think he has the best future - one full of vacation homes and pro am golf tourneys.

He has a beautiful and kind wife, too. I'de say the future's pretty bright for ole Pauly.