PDA

View Full Version : Tigers looking to add?

Lip Man 1
07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Phil Rogers writes at the Tribune web site that Detroit is contemplating making an offer to the Cubs for both Zambrano and Ramirez.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-big-z-aram-could-fill-tigers-needs-20110718,0,1424259.story

Lip

DirtySox
07-18-2011, 06:16 PM
The Tigers have been linked to everyone lately. Beltran, Guthrie, Ubaldo, Harang, & Lowe in particular.

DumpJerry
07-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Zambrano is past his useful life. Ramirez is a 10/5 player who today said he won't leave Chicago for "family considerations."

Lip Man 1
07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Dump:

That could also be a ploy to extract a contract extension and / or more money no?

Lip

AnkleSox
07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Zambrano is past his useful life. Ramirez is a 10/5 player who today said he won't leave Chicago for "family considerations."

Does anyone think the Sox might consider making a bid for Ramirez in free agency? I've always hated him as a Cub but they could definitely use his production from third base. He's not a defensive whiz by any means but he's definitely improved from the days he was letting fly balls go off his head.

I'm not suggesting that this is a good idea, but he wants to stay in Chicago, and should have a few more productive years left in him. I guess it depends on how much confidence the Sox have in Morel and how eager the Cubs are to get Vitters to the majors.

WSox597
07-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure how well he'd perform, but can you imagine the Cub fans' reactions.

That would be hilarious to see. "Can they do that? Take one of our players like that?"

esbrechtel
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I honestly hate Aramas. Its not even fueled by cub hate I just think he is an *******. I don't think Ozzie would like his loafing around the bases all that much either...PASS....

Hitmen77
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Does anyone think the Sox might consider making a bid for Ramirez in free agency? I've always hated him as a Cub but they could definitely use his production from third base. He's not a defensive whiz by any means but he's definitely improved from the days he was letting fly balls go off his head.

I'm not suggesting that this is a good idea, but he wants to stay in Chicago, and should have a few more productive years left in him. I guess it depends on how much confidence the Sox have in Morel and how eager the Cubs are to get Vitters to the majors.

No way. Attendance is down this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see season ticket renewals drop after the craptacular performance that Ozzie & Co. gave us this year.

Most of our underperforming duds are locked up beyond this season for big $$$. Buehrle and Jackson's salaries come off the books, but then that leaves holes in the rotation if they leave.

I think it's going to be at least a few years before the Sox are free agent buyers again.

Hitmen77
07-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Phil Rogers writes at the Tribune web site that Detroit is contemplating making an offer to the Cubs for both Zambrano and Ramirez.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-big-z-aram-could-fill-tigers-needs-20110718,0,1424259.story

Lip

Not a surprise that the Tigers are looking to add. They apparently have more money to spend that the Sox and have more minor league talent to use for trades.

The Sox, on the other hand, went "all in" with a lousy hand and have no money to spend and almost no talent to use for trades.

Tragg
07-18-2011, 11:23 PM
As the Special Man says, "Let 'em have it"

No interest in those players at all.

slavko
07-18-2011, 11:33 PM
When the paper owned the team, Phil did this all the time and it was semi-legal tampering, trying to help the Cubbies unload their bad contracts. It's more legal now, but he's still doing it.

Lip Man 1
07-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Ramirez is quoted tonight in the Tribune that he still doesn't want to be traded "for now..." (direct quote).

:rolleyes:

I'm thinking he'd be happy to make a deal for the right price of course...

Lip

JB98
07-19-2011, 12:02 AM
As the Special Man says, "Let 'em have it"

No interest in those players at all.

I agree. I hope those bums end up on the Tigers.

VMSNS
07-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Wasn't it Derek Lee last year who said he wouldn't accept a trade anywhere because of his family....and then ended up with Atlanta at the deadline?

These guys all say the same things. Everyone has a price, including Aramis. Honestly, I would be surprised if he wasn't moved at the deadline.

And I never want to see that guy in a Sox uniform. I've watched enough Cub baseball over the years to know that Ramirez fits into the mold of "lazy, careless, self-centered ballplayer". We already have one of those guys on our team locked-up long term. We don't need another.

guillensdisciple
07-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Wasn't it Derek Lee last year who said he wouldn't accept a trade anywhere because of his family....and then ended up with Atlanta at the deadline?

These guys all say the same things. Everyone has a price, including Aramis. Honestly, I would be surprised if he wasn't moved at the deadline.

And I never want to see that guy in a Sox uniform. I've watched enough Cub baseball over the years to know that Ramirez fits into the mold of "lazy, careless, self-centered ballplayer". We already have one of those guys on our team locked-up long term. We don't need another.

Yes, except our guys suck horrible ass, and this guy is really good. He can be as lazy as he wants if he can hit the baseball.

hawkjt
07-19-2011, 09:23 AM
If he is traded,Aramis' deal for 17 million is guaranteed next year. Will the Tigers take that on? I suspect they would. BigZ would struggle in the AL, hell, he is struggling in the NL. Aramis could help them,as Inge and co. are bad,but their infield is already molasses slow,and Aramis would not help.

The Tigers will go for something,just hoping they make a mistake with whatever move they do make.
They have a history of folding in the 2nd half under Leyland.
Like we have seen with the Sox, the logical moves(Dunn,Rios) do not always work out.

Chez
07-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Tigers adding a quality starting pitcher and/or the Twins adding a closer (Heath Bell?) would be depressing.

KMcMahon817
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Tigers adding a quality starting pitcher and/or the Twins adding a closer (Heath Bell?) would be depressing.

The Twins will not be adding payroll or trading away significant prospects. Prior to last season, the Twins hadn't acquired a big name during the season since Shannon Stewart. And last season they only picked up some relievers in Fuentes and Capps, plus a couple lesser names.

The Twins double header sweep yesterday pushed them 7 games back of the Tribe. I know everyone around here thinks the Twins are holy, but in reality, they just aren't very good. They may not be subtracting at the deadline, but I really don't see them adding anything to the equation. Kubel and Span could be back soon, however.

JB98
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Yes, except our guys suck horrible ass, and this guy is really good. He can be as lazy as he wants if he can hit the baseball.

No, no, no, a thousand times no. He's one of the most horse**** defensive 3B I have ever seen. Further, he usually takes the first two months of the season off, then starts hitting once the Cubs have fallen out of the race.

I don't ever want to see Aramis Ramirez in a Sox uniform.

Tragg
07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Let the other guy waste resources on the declining veteran. Not us. It rarely works.

DirtySox
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Let the other guy waste resources on the declining veteran. Not us. It rarely works.

I'm fine with the internal options. Dayan/Infante/Reed are all viable candidates to contribute this season.

guillensdisciple
07-19-2011, 01:54 PM
No, no, no, a thousand times no. He's one of the most horse**** defensive 3B I have ever seen. Further, he usually takes the first two months of the season off, then starts hitting once the Cubs have fallen out of the race.

I don't ever want to see Aramis Ramirez in a Sox uniform.

You're kidding right, you'd want Mark Teahen or Brent Morel over Aramis Ramirez. The guy might have underperformed for two years but you'd be damned to prove to me that he was not relevant and huge for them during their biggest runs in 03 and 08.

Also I was comparing him and Adam Dunn. Adam Dunn is horse **** and I Aramis Ramirez would at least, even if you say he is lazy, would put up a solid .250 with 15 to 20 homeruns by now which is a LOT more than Adam Dunn can say for himself.

Aramis Ramirez would fit this team perfectly anyway. A good guy playing for a good team, and yes I would rather have him than the ones we trot out to third now a days.

34 Inch Stick
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Ramirez's attitude was perfectly defined this year when he took several days off after being hit with a bad hop ground ball in the face and busted a lip.

JB98
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
You're kidding right, you'd want Mark Teahen or Brent Morel over Aramis Ramirez. The guy might have underperformed for two years but you'd be damned to prove to me that he was not relevant and huge for them during their biggest runs in 03 and 08.

Also I was comparing him and Adam Dunn. Adam Dunn is horse **** and I Aramis Ramirez would at least, even if you say he is lazy, would put up a solid .250 with 15 to 20 homeruns by now which is a LOT more than Adam Dunn can say for himself.

Aramis Ramirez would fit this team perfectly anyway. A good guy playing for a good team, and yes I would rather have him than the ones we trot out to third now a days.

No, not kidding at all. Never said I liked Teahen or Morel either.

Ramirez is a ****ing dog and I don't want him on the Sox. The last thing the Sox need is more overpaid, declining veteran garbage.

guillensdisciple
07-20-2011, 03:18 PM
No, not kidding at all. Never said I liked Teahen or Morel either.

Ramirez is a ****ing dog and I don't want him on the Sox. The last thing the Sox need is more overpaid, declining veteran garbage.

Again, I am just saying if you have him or morons we have now you choose him by a long shot. Hell you choose him over Donkey and Rios too. That's how bad the White Sox are.

JB98
07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Again, I am just saying if you have him or morons we have now you choose him by a long shot. Hell you choose him over Donkey and Rios too. That's how bad the White Sox are.

The fact that Dunn sucks is not a legitimate reason to add someone like Ramirez to this roster.

Harry Potter
07-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Tigers Acquire Wilson Betemit (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/tigers-acquire-wilson-betemit.html)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/tigers-acquire-wilson-betemit.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
The Tigers have acquired Wilson Betemit (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/betemwi01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker) from the Royals for prospects Antonio Cruz (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker&id=cruz--001ant) and Julio Rodriguez (http://www.baseball-reference.com/player_search.cgi?results=rodrig007jul,rodrig008ju l&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker), reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/jonmorosi/status/93795529464614912) links (http://twitter.com/#!/jonmorosi/status/93795653582471170)). Kansas City has confirmed the move in a press release.

Fenway
07-20-2011, 05:41 PM
And it begins

Sent: Jul 20, 2011 5:36p

BREAKING: Tigers acquire INF Wilson Betemit from Royals for two Minor Leaguers.

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/MLB/status/93796416723496960

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2011, 06:01 PM
I guess Betemit is a nice bat off the bench, but I don't think much of this move for Detroit. They need pitching.

Foulke You
07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I think the Tigers were worried that Inge isn't going to snap out of his mono-induced funk this season. Betemit was brutal for us both offensively and defensively in 2009 but he has been a solid bat for KC the last couple years. He is still defensively challenged and a huge downgrade at 3B from Inge's glove. Should be an improvement on offense though. I guess the Tigers decided to improve a team strength (their offense) versus their weakness (starting pitching and infield range).

guillensdisciple
07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
I think the Tigers were worried that Inge isn't going to snap out of his mono-induced funk this season. Betemit was brutal for us both offensively and defensively in 2009 but he has been a solid bat for KC the last couple years. He is still defensively challenged and a huge downgrade at 3B from Inge's glove. Should be an improvement on offense though. I guess the Tigers decided to improve a team strength (their offense) versus their weakness (starting pitching and infield range).

Makes sense if your experiencing a lack of great success with a current formula, make sure to add to it by putting more into current formula.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2011, 01:02 AM
It's interesting that Betemit (like some others the Sox acquired) had his worst years when he was a member of the club.

What was he (or the coaching staff) doing to get performance out of him before and after his time with the Sox? And why didn't that take place in Chicago??

Lip

JB98
07-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Inge is being DFA'ed. (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110721/SPORTS0104/107210410/Brandon-Inge-to-be-waived-after-Tigers-get-3B-Wilson-Betemit)He's still Detroit's best option with the leather over at 3B. But it seems like he can't get it done with lumber anymore. Inge says he'll accept an assignment to AAA if he clears waivers. He could be back with the Tigers before the year is over.

Betemit, aside from his time with the Sox, has always been dangerous with the bat. He's a butcher in the field, though. The Tigers have a weak defensive infield with Peralta at short and the cast of thousands they've been playing at 2B. I guess Carlos Guillen is their guy there now, but he's not what he used to be.

Hitmen77
07-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Inge is being DFA'ed. (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110721/SPORTS0104/107210410/Brandon-Inge-to-be-waived-after-Tigers-get-3B-Wilson-Betemit)He's still Detroit's best option with the leather over at 3B. But it seems like he can't get it done with lumber anymore. Inge says he'll accept an assignment to AAA if he clears waivers. He could be back with the Tigers before the year is over.

Betemit, aside from his time with the Sox, has always been dangerous with the bat. He's a butcher in the field, though. The Tigers have a weak defensive infield with Peralta at short and the cast of thousands they've been playing at 2B. I guess Carlos Guillen is their guy there now, but he's not what he used to be.

Same old pattern there. Add him to the list of players whose offense was worse when they were on the Sox: Swisher, Teahen, Dunn, Rios, Betemit. Funny how Swisher and Betemit improved when they left.

Ozzie and Walker's magic touch!

Foulke You
07-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Check out this "awesome" defensive play by Betemit in his Tigers debut. :tongue:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17143705