PDA

View Full Version : Next time you complain about the cost of food at Comiskey

DumpJerry
07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Consider this. (http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201107/coming-next-week-80-hot-dog)

Sox
07-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Can anyone say man versus food?

Nellie_Fox
07-18-2011, 12:05 AM
In Brockton, Mass? Brockton? Home of Rocky Marciano, the Hard Rock from Brockton? An $80 foo-foo hotdog with truffles and caviar in a tough factory town? Horrifying.

MeteorsSox4367
07-18-2011, 02:18 AM
"Porcini dust." "Creme Fraiche."

What the hell are these?

Mustard, tomatoes, celery salt. That's all you need. We would also accept relish as a condiment.

DumpJerry
07-18-2011, 07:02 AM
I love the reference to a $7.00 hot dog at MLB games. Where?

Boondock Saint
07-18-2011, 07:42 AM
That thing sounds disgusting. If I'm gonna pay $80 for a single food item, it had better taste like God just smiled at me. This sounds like a bunch of idiots got together in a room and thought, "Let's see how much expensive **** we can put on a dog."

soxfanatlanta
07-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Truffle shavings?

:puking:

doublem23
07-18-2011, 08:30 AM

The Chicago-style dogs at the Cell come in around $7, IIRC. Totally worth the buck and change it costs over the regular dog to have all the trimmings instead of only being able to choose from a couple of condiments out of a squeeze bottle when only one really, mustard, even belongs on a hot dog in the first place.

I'm not the biggest fan of truffles, but people who do like it are crazy about, like Ms. Doub. There's a gourmet hot dog/sausage place on Clybourn we go to every now and then and they have a truffle dog and truffle fries that she just goes bonkers for.

BTW, porcini is an edible mushroom renowned for its taste and its scarcity since it's almost impossible to cultivate. And who the hell doesn't know what creme fraiche is?

Johnny Mostil
07-18-2011, 08:55 AM
And who the hell doesn't know what creme fraiche is?

I guess I do now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_fra%C3%AEche)!

kaufsox
07-18-2011, 09:42 AM
The Chicago-style dogs at the Cell come in around $7, IIRC. Totally worth the buck and change it costs over the regular dog to have all the trimmings instead of only being able to choose from a couple of condiments out of a squeeze bottle when only one really, mustard, even belongs on a hot dog in the first place.

I'm not the biggest fan of truffles, but people who do like it are crazy about, like Ms. Doub. There's a gourmet hot dog/sausage place on Clybourn we go to every now and then and they have a truffle dog and truffle fries that she just goes bonkers for.

BTW, porcini is an edible mushroom renowned for its taste and its scarcity since it's almost impossible to cultivate. And who the hell doesn't know what creme fraiche is?

I believe we have just seen doub out himself as a foodie :D:

DumpJerry
07-18-2011, 10:17 AM
That thing sounds disgusting. If I'm gonna pay $80 for a single food item, it had better taste like God just smiled at me. This sounds like a bunch of idiots got together in a room and thought, "Let's see how much expensive **** we can put on a dog."
Idiots created this? People will buy this thing just to say they bought it. Who are the idiots in this story?

doublem23
07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I believe we have just seen doub out himself as a foodie :D:

Maybe, but I don't know if I qualify because I think the term foodie comes with a snobby connotation. I appreciate good food, of course, and am willing to pay for it every now and then, but I do eat an awful lot of ****, too.

Kind of the same way I am with beer. Some of my friends and I are into home brewing, and I really appreciate all the hard work and skill it takes to carefully craft a delicious brew... but sometimes, I just really want a $1 bottle of PBR to drown my sorrows in. :cool:

That said, everyone should try creme fraiche. Get some fresh berries and top with a dollop. You're welcome.

MeteorsSox4367
07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe, but I don't know if I qualify because I think the term foodie comes with a snobby connotation. I appreciate good food, of course, and am willing to pay for it every now and then, but I do eat an awful lot of ****, too.

Kind of the same way I am with beer. Some of my friends and I are into home brewing, and I really appreciate all the hard work and skill it takes to carefully craft a delicious brew... but sometimes, I just really want a $1 bottle of PBR to drown my sorrows in. :cool:

That said, everyone should try creme fraiche. Get some fresh berries and top with a dollop. You're welcome.

Can I get some creme fraiche at my neighborhood Jewel's or 7-11?

doublem23
07-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Can I get some creme fraiche at my neighborhood Jewel's or 7-11?

At Jewel probably

tstrike2000
07-18-2011, 11:03 AM
For $80, I would also hope it came with it's own defibrillator.

Nellie_Fox
07-19-2011, 12:48 AM
...who the hell doesn't know what creme fraiche is? :yoohoo:

TommyGavinFloyd
07-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I learned everything I know about creme fraiche from South Park.

voodoochile
07-19-2011, 08:03 PM
I guess I do now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_fra%C3%AEche)!

And I thank you for the link. I've often wondered what the difference between Creme Freche and sour cream is and now I know the answer - not a heck of a lot...:tongue:

Sox
07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
I still don't understand why they would do that to a hot dog....boredom must have really set in. Some people just do not know when to leave a good thing alone. :screwloose:

DSpivack
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
And I thank you for the link. I've often wondered what the difference between Creme Freche and sour cream is and now I know the answer - not a heck of a lot...:tongue:

Creme fraiche and fruit I've seen referenced a lot as a snack. Sour cream and fruit just seems weird. I had no idea they were similar until now.

I still don't understand why they would do that to a hot dog....boredom must have really set in. Some people just do not know when to leave a good thing alone. :screwloose:

Just another silly minor league marketing gimmick.

soxfanreggie
07-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Or I could have an entire group of friends for a BBQ and provide all the food...

I can see people buying it just to buy it, but they can do what they want with their money.

Fenway
07-22-2011, 09:53 AM
http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-21/sports/29798698_1_hot-dog-truffle-ballpark
http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/July11sports/607hotdog.jpg

Ex-Chicagoan
07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Sour cream and fruit just seems weird.

Sour cream and cucumbers are wonderful (and yes, technically, they're fruit).

Fenway
07-22-2011, 12:12 PM

Fenway the Monster Dog is $7

LongLiveFisk
07-23-2011, 08:47 AM
For $80, I would also hope it came with it's own defibrillator.

There better be a $50 bill shoved in there somewhere.

doublem23
07-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Just another silly minor league marketing gimmick.

Yeah, if you've ever had to sit and watch minor league baseball day in and day out, you'd realize you have to come up with gimmicks to keep people interested because nobody is coming to the games to watch that **** product. I was stuck watching Low-A ball baseball while I had to live in Peoria... Brutal. I must have gone to 40-50 games in the 2 years I lived down there after college and I can probably count the number of times I saw an OF hit the cut-off man on a relay with just my hands.

SI1020
07-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, if you've ever had to sit and watch minor league baseball day in and day out, you'd realize you have to come up with gimmicks to keep people interested because nobody is coming to the games to watch that **** product. I was stuck watching Low-A ball baseball while I had to live in Peoria... Brutal. I must have gone to 40-50 games in the 2 years I lived down there after college and I can probably count the number of times I saw an OF hit the cut-off man on a relay with just my hands. Come down here and watch the champion Gamecocks play. They hit the cutoff man, bunt, hit behind the runner and throw out base stealers. No, I'm not trying to suggest it is MLB worthy but they hustle and play sound baseball. You better or Coach Tanner finds a seat on the bench for you. They've been a great antidote to the White Sox the last couple of years.

doublem23
07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Come down here and watch the champion Gamecocks play. They hit the cutoff man, bunt, hit behind the runner and throw out base stealers. No, I'm not trying to suggest it is MLB worthy but they hustle and play sound baseball. You better or Coach Tanner finds a seat on the bench for you. They've been a great antidote to the White Sox the last couple of years.

Eh, I watched a little bit of the college World Series and I'm not really impressed with them, either. Obviously in baseball you're prime talent is either in Latin America or skips college and heads straight to the pros. NCAA baseball is pretty blah.