PDA

View Full Version : Can Beckham win the Gold Glove?

thomas35forever
07-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Considering he's leading AL second basemen in fielding percentage and has made some good plays in the field this year, I think it's quite possible.

Noneck
07-17-2011, 04:12 PM
With this team coming into a season with high expectations and playing the way they are, I dont care about any players individual awards.

The answer to your question, probably not, it will be Cano again. He will be the new golden boy, like jeter was.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Short answer...no...he doesn't play for the Red Sox or Yankees.

Lip

BainesHOF
07-17-2011, 04:25 PM
At this moment, I'd say probably not. He's not hitting enough and, as ridiculously at that is, it's a factor in the award. However, if he winds up with only two or three errors maybe that would be too hard to ignore.

My gut says Beckham is not the best fielding second baseman in the league. That said, I'd be curious to see where he ranks in total chances, a much better indicator of fielding prowess than errors. I think Beckham has made his greatest improvement in range. Despite not making errors, I thought his fielding was still bad for the first six to eight weeks of the season because he wasn't getting to balls that others would. But his range has improved to the point where he is making some of those highlight-type plays to his left. He's still learning the position so he's only going to get better.

DumpJerry
07-17-2011, 04:32 PM
During the Fox broadcast yesterday, they say he should get the GG.

soxfanreggie
07-17-2011, 04:33 PM
He'll probably face the same thing that MB faced. It will take him forever to win one, but if he continues to improve his defense and becomes the AL's best, he could finally start winning them. Once you win your first, it's a lot easier to win again. It seems like some managers just keep sending in the same ballots each year (aka how Torii Hunter won a few years ago).

billcissell
07-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Odd as it may sound, the Golden Glove award has a LOT to do with how you produce offensively. I know, that doesn't make any sense. But if you take a look at the history of the award, it is usually presented to a player who also happens to have a very good to great year with the bat.

That being said, Beckham has no chance of winning a Golden Glove this year.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2011, 10:53 AM

LipYep. With the Yankees and Red Sox both having star players at 2B, both of them would have to play less than 50 games in a season for Gordon to have a chance at it.

Procol Harum
07-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Nope--GG's are inevitably tied to offensive production and often have a not-so-subtle relationship with New York or Boston, and/or team winning percentage. On all three scores, Beckham is found wanting...

Chez
07-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Even if he doesn't win the gold glove, there's no denying that Beckham has been the best defensive second baseman in the league. He's terrific at turning two.

BigKlu59
07-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Lip

BuuuuuuwaaaaaahaaaHaaaa....You nailed that one Lip !!!! Gotta be a Carmine or Pin Striper to even get into this game. Myopic mavens always seem to have their peepers attracted to these ilk...

Go Gordo... Flash that leather !!!

BK59

all*star quentin
07-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Who do I petition for Gordon to be a GG recipient? :cool:

guillensdisciple
07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
If this season ends the way it seems to be going, this would actually be an okay consolation prize. Gordo is actually improving and making me look foolish calling him a bust, and combine that with his defense and you have a great player in waiting.

Someone on the radio sais that Gordo has to have a bigger leash because his training to become a big leaguer is happening in the big leagues and thus it will be harder and time must be given. Perhaps I was a little too hard on the guy too quick, and I hope I was way off. If he continues improving like this though he will be that leader and anchor the White Sox thought he would be.

Domeshot17
07-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Screw the gold glove, I am more worried about Beckham hitting enough to be a viable everyday player. He has done nothing but look like a bust for a while now. Its getting into put up or shut up time for Gordon.

delben91
07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Screw the gold glove, I am more worried about Beckham hitting enough to be a viable everyday player. He has done nothing but look like a bust for a while now. Its getting into put up or shut up time for Gordon.

For what it's worth, he's hitting .385 over his last 12 games (http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/6006). Bumped his average from .226 to .248. Not good yet, but better.

Domeshot17
07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
For what it's worth, he's hitting .385 over his last 12 games (http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/6006). Bumped his average from .226 to .248. Not good yet, but better.

I am not doubting he can be very good, but he has to put it together for extended periods. He seems to be incredibly streaky. I ate a ton of **** last year when I said I think he will play like a Howie Kendrick type (270-10 homers-30 doubles-70 RBI-750 OPS) but now I would kill for that out of him. I remember guys were saying he could be Jeter good. It was insane.

Boondock Saint
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
He's not hitting, so he won't.

Zakath
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
At this moment, I'd say probably not. He's not hitting enough and, as ridiculously at that is, it's a factor in the award. However, if he winds up with only two or three errors maybe that would be too hard to ignore.

My gut says Beckham is not the best fielding second baseman in the league. That said, I'd be curious to see where he ranks in total chances, a much better indicator of fielding prowess than errors. I think Beckham has made his greatest improvement in range. Despite not making errors, I thought his fielding was still bad for the first six to eight weeks of the season because he wasn't getting to balls that others would. But his range has improved to the point where he is making some of those highlight-type plays to his left. He's still learning the position so he's only going to get better.

In the AL, he's third in total chances coming into tonight with 412. Cano had 477, Pedroia 417, but Cano has played in 6 more games this season than Beckham while Pedroia has played in 5 more.

Cano's most likely going to get Silver Slugger, so that creates a greater chance, IMO, for Gordon to get GG, especially if that .998 fielding percentage holds up. He also should get a boost if the Sox hold on and commit the fewest errors in MLB this season.

Lamp81
07-18-2011, 10:36 PM
He would also be helped greatly if he had a Web Gem type play that gets played over and over again on the highlight shows. It would also help him if that play was against the Yankees or Red Sox. That would give him more attention.

Beckham is still flying too low on the baseball radar, he needs some fantastic play or series of plays to get him the attention he deserves.

all*star quentin
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Beckham

http://twitpic.com/5qkae0

hi im skot
07-18-2011, 11:04 PM
He'll have to be a hell of a lot better offensively if he wants to have a prayer.

PalehosePlanet
07-18-2011, 11:12 PM
He'll have to be a hell of a lot better offensively if he wants to have a prayer.

Exactly. Mark Ellis would have had 5 GG's already instead of zero if he were a better hitter.

The GG goes to the best hitter who's at least decent defensively, not the best defender. And, if no one new comes along that fits the bill, they just roll over the previous winner. Which is how Ryne Sandberg won 9 GG's instead of the 3 or 4 he deserved (also see Derek Jeter.)

Nellie_Fox
07-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Odd as it may sound, the Golden Glove award has a LOT to do with how you produce offensively. I know, that doesn't make any sense. But if you take a look at the history of the award, it is usually presented to a player who also happens to have a very good to great year with the bat.

That being said, Beckham has no chance of winning a Golden Glove this year.I'm afraid I have to nit-pick this again. Golden Gloves are a prize for amateur boxers. Gold Gloves are a defensive award for major-league baseball players.

kaufsox
07-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Pedroia and Cano are going to be trading the GG for years.

Harry Chappas
07-19-2011, 09:44 AM

You realize that he's in his 2nd full MLB season, right? He is hitting .255 at the moment. Not great mind you, but when you consider how much he struggled early on, it's pretty impressive. He's also playing stellar in the field at a position he's still learning. To tag him a "bust" is ridiculous. A bust is a guy that flat-out doesn't make it despite lofty expectations and high draft position. I'd say, at worst, GB is going to decent offensively (especially at 2nd) and a plus fielder. In what world would he be considered a bust?

Put up or shut up? Really? He's only 24! On a lot of teams, he would have gone through his growing pains in the minors and would just now be making a push for the big club.

rcescato
07-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Lip

Exactly!! Unless you play for boston or New York forget. Cano will win it every year no matter his fielding percentage is. He will also be voted into the all-star game until he retires.

tstrike2000
07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
It's kind of like Joe Crede probably should've won a gold glove in one of those years at third, but because he wasn't Eric Chavez he got overlooked.

hi im skot
07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Exactly!! Unless you play for boston or New York forget. Cano will win it every year no matter his fielding percentage is. He will also be voted into the all-star game until he retires.

Yeah, remember how Mark Buehrle plays on the East Coast and wins all of those gold gloves because of that fact?

sullythered
07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah, remember how Mark Buehrle plays on the East Coast and wins all of those gold gloves because of that fact?

Are you arguing that is no bias towards those teams?

hi im skot
07-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Are you arguing that is no bias towards those teams?

It's a convenient excuse for fans of teams that aren't the Yankees or Red Sox, but it's not really all that factual:

2010 GG winners:

C: Joe Mauer
1B: Mark Teixeira (Yankees)
2B: Robinson Cano (Yankees)
3B:Evan Longoria
SS: Derek Jeter (Yankees)
OF: Ichiro Suzuki
OF: Carl Crawford
OF: Franklin Gutierrez
P: Mark Buehrle

So, only three Yankees (no Red Sox players, mind you) won last year. We know that Jeter winning is a sham, but Teixeira is certainly deserving, and Cano is no slouch.

We can debate whether or not the rest of these guys are worthy of winning the award, but it seems silly to keep on playing the East Coast Bias conspiracy theory all the time.

TheOldRoman
07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
You realize that he's in his 2nd full MLB season, right? He is hitting .255 at the moment. Not great mind you, but when you consider how much he struggled early on, it's pretty impressive. He's also playing stellar in the field at a position he's still learning. To tag him a "bust" is ridiculous. A bust is a guy that flat-out doesn't make it despite lofty expectations and high draft position. I'd say, at worst, GB is going to decent offensively (especially at 2nd) and a plus fielder. In what world would he be considered a bust?

Put up or shut up? Really? He's only 24! On a lot of teams, he would have gone through his growing pains in the minors and would just now be making a push for the big club.He has made this clear repeatedly - he hates Beckham. He has been calling Gordon a bust for a long time, ignoring anything good he does and focusing on bad things. I think he is one of the people who recently brought up the nonsense of "Pre-draft scouting reports said he had a long swing. I KNEW he would be a bust, we should have taken someone else," conviniently ignoring the fact that pre-draft scouting reports in any sport will do little more than tell you the player (no matter who it is) sucks horribly. He hitched his wagon to the "Beckham is a bust" train and I guess he is going to ride it out. He may be wrong, but at least he is consistent with his viewpoint.

sullythered
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
It's a convenient excuse for fans of teams that aren't the Yankees or Red Sox, but it's not really all that factual:

2010 GG winners:

So, only three Yankees (no Red Sox players, mind you) won last year. We know that Jeter winning is a sham, but Teixeira is certainly deserving, and Cano is no slouch.

We can debate whether or not the rest of these guys are worthy of winning the award, but it seems silly to keep on playing the East Coast Bias conspiracy theory all the time.

That's three Yankees out of 9 players, none of which are the best defensive players at their position.

Harry Chappas
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
He has made this clear repeatedly - he hates Beckham. He has been calling Gordon a bust for a long time, ignoring anything good he does and focusing on bad things. I think he is one of the people who recently brought up the nonsense of "Pre-draft scouting reports said he had a long swing. I KNEW he would be a bust, we should have taken someone else," conviniently ignoring the fact that pre-draft scouting reports in any sport will do little more than tell you the player (no matter who it is) sucks horribly. He hitched his wagon to the "Beckham is a bust" train and I guess he is going to ride it out. He may be wrong, but at least he is consistent with his viewpoint.

GB is an odd guy to declare war on. He seems likable and has shown a willingness to work hard to improve his game. I wonder if he winds up the year at .270/15/60 while playing a solid second, he will still consider him a "bust."

Domeshot17
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM
He has made this clear repeatedly - he hates Beckham. He has been calling Gordon a bust for a long time, ignoring anything good he does and focusing on bad things. I think he is one of the people who recently brought up the nonsense of "Pre-draft scouting reports said he had a long swing. I KNEW he would be a bust, we should have taken someone else," conviniently ignoring the fact that pre-draft scouting reports in any sport will do little more than tell you the player (no matter who it is) sucks horribly. He hitched his wagon to the "Beckham is a bust" train and I guess he is going to ride it out. He may be wrong, but at least he is consistent with his viewpoint.

Wow, did you miss my post in this post where I said "I still think Gordon can be very good"

Stupid Sox fans hyped up Beckham like he was going to be Derek Jeter or Chase Utley, and he never had that ceiling. I simply said I think he is going to be a tier below that. Might make an All Star game or 2, never will be in the MVP category. But I suppose there is no middle ground. I also said Gordon HAS been hitting better, but he seems to be very streaky, he runs very hot and very cold.

And anyone who played baseball into high school could see the 1 major flaw in Gordon's game in college. Some hitters have a hitch in their swing that generates power. It is very well known Gordon had a huge hitch in college, and it is also very well known the Sox have completely broken down and reconstructed his swing. This is NOT something I personally would have done at the major league level. If they wanted to do it, give him time in Triple A to adjust to it.

I don't hate Gordon at all, I just don't view him as a savior. I think he can be a vocal leader, but he can't be the best player on a team. Yes, I would have taken Smoak over him if it was my call in the draft, but that was a coinflip pick and the fact BOTH were available there was unreal. I just personally liked Smoak better.

I hate this idea that because Gordon's development offensively has been completely flat in 2.5 years, I hate him. I just don't think hes a superstar in the making. I would love to be wrong, but if he ends up a Howie Kendrick type like I said, thats still a well above average 2b.

I suppose the bust tag would come from the hype people foolishly put on him. When people say for 2 years he is going to be one of the best 2b in the game, and he ends up around average, it puts the bust tag around him, but probably unfairly.

hi im skot
07-19-2011, 05:01 PM
That's three Yankees out of 9 players, none of which are the best defensive players at their position.

Still not a high percentage. As I said, Teixeira is deserving, and Cano is solid, too. Who would you give the award to at those positions last year?

BainesHOF
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM

So true when it comes down to it.

all*star quentin
07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Beckham

http://twitpic.com/5qkae0

@MLB (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/MLB)

Gordon Beckham confirms our theory
that all plays are better
when an unnecessary somersault is
involved.... http://atmlb.com/nyWbOW
(http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17060079&partnerId=aw-6971637594968845992-996)

shes
07-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Pedroia has been pretty great this year defensively. That pretty much sews it up for him, regardless of what Beckham may do...

#1swisher
09-26-2011, 01:50 PM
In the Game Notes (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/presspass/gamenotes.jsp?c_id=mlb) today: GORDON MAKES CASE FOR GOLD GLOVE

Gordon Beckham ranks second among AL second baseman with a
.991 (6 ER/703 TC) fielding percentage, slightly behind the Angels'
Howie Kendrick (992)...Beckham is attempting to become the first
Sox second baseman since Nellie Fox in 1963 to lead the AL in fielding
percentage.

Beckham has committed two errors in his last 55 games.

aryzner
09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm afraid I have to nit-pick this again. Golden Gloves are a prize for amateur boxers. Gold Gloves are a defensive award for major-league baseball players.
This is forever drilled into my head because of a game of Trivial Pursuit I played when I was a teenager. The question came up about the Golden Glove, and I answered baseball. When I was told I was wrong, I was extremely confused at first, and then it was explained to me that baseball is the Gold Glove whereas boxing is the Golden Glove.

I will never forget that question. :D:

Zisk77
09-26-2011, 06:48 PM

2010 GG winners:

i don't think your argument holds water. Last year neither the Bosox or the Yanks had players that were even decent players at the positions where they didn't win gg's.

No one in their right mind gives a gg to the ilk of Nick Swisher, Marcus Thames, J.D. Drew, etc.

Varitek and Posada were simply too old and were even plattooned or became DH's. Ellsbury and Pedroia were hurt.

Arod is not good defensively and has the taint of steroids about him. I guess you could make a case for Beltre.

Buerhle won his gg open day and it took him forever to win his first gg.

I would say there is a real east coast bias, offensive bias, and Incumbent bias to gg's.