PDA

View Full Version : The buzz around boston is

Spiff
08-07-2001, 10:19 AM
Jimy Williams is on the hot seat, which I can't understand at all. But if the Red Sox don't make it to the series, he has a good chance of getting canned. I say the ChiSox should take a serious look at him if he gets fired. He knows how to manage a team, and keep them focused no matter how much playing time they get. I know JM has done a good job but he needs some guts and he needs to stop playing favorites. With Williams, if you produce you play; if you don't you sit.

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 10:23 AM
I think they have been looking to can him for awhile now. I recall last year Gammons was saying that he and the GM have not seen eye to eye. And I remember when Alou was fired from the Expos there was talk of him going to Boston.

:boston
I know my Red Sox.

Paulwny
08-07-2001, 10:28 AM
I don't think JR would be interested. Williams doing an amazing job with Nomar out for 1/2 a season and now Pedro a ?. Also I'm surprised Cone is doing so well, I thought he was washed up.

Mathew
08-07-2001, 12:51 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Williams said he won't be back next year. It has nothing to do with performance, he turned do several contract extentions and the announced he won't be back next year. Philipe Alou is a better Manager and will do amaising things with that team if hired.

chisoxt
08-07-2001, 12:58 PM
Are you kidding me? Part of the reason that Willimas won't be back is because he is too much of an individual and likes to do things his way. There has been a lot of past acrimony between Williams and Duquette.

Do you see a problem here with Williams fitting in with the chisox organization?????

doublem23
08-07-2001, 01:10 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit on the Bosox manager's relationship with his players:

IT MUST BE JIM ROME'S FAULT. IT COULDN'T BE MINE: RHP Bret Saberhagen, the Red Sox equivalent of Haley's Comet, lowered the boom on his manager, Jimy Williams, on the August 1 Jim Rome show.

Rome asked Saberhagen a simple question that could have been brushed off or turned around in an effort to help Williams out. "Have you ever been around a team that had such little regard for the manager?" Rome asked. "It's open. It's almost brazen."

Saberhagen's response: "I really haven't. And that's only come down in the last year and a half. I think if you ask the majority of the guys, they respected Jimy for a long time. And I don't know what happened. I haven't been around to really get into that. I like Jimy as a person. He's treated me well. I don't agree with everything he does, but I don't agree with a lot of things a lot of people do."

Later, Saberhagen told Boston beat writers that he had apologized to Williams and that "I tried to let him know what I was trying to say maybe got misconstrued. I didn't get the right words out."

Misconstrued? Didn't get the right words out? You can use that "out" when you say something stupid in the print media. "Ah, that writer's full of bologna. He took what I said out of context." We've all used that thin argument plenty of times.

The great thing is that the deny-everything-create-confusion-and-make-false-accusations approach usually works with the print media. But the electronic media? That's another story.

You say something stupid to those guys and it lives forever. Newsprint may line the birdcage tomorrow. But video and audiotape outlasts nuclear waste. Besides, how can we misconstrue "(Williams) kind of lost a lot of control in some respects with a lot of the guys" and "(Williams) draws straws every morning" to make out his line up. There is not a whole lot of interpretation needed there.

Maybe Saberhagen does like Williams, as he says he does. Then again, who cares? All Saberhagen and his teammates are supposed to do is respect Williams' authority, follow his orders and play. If a manager's job was to have the players like him, Tom Kelly, Tony LaRussa, Lou Pinella and Bobby Valentine would have been fired a long time ago.

Managers should be expected to get reasonable results with the personnel they are dealt. The managers with the longest tenure are those fortunate enough to get off to a good start with their clubs or have a supportive and reasonable front office or a combination of both. Their popularity among their players is not as important as their results. The sniping at the manager that is made public in Boston is going on privately to some degree in Minnesota, St. Louis and Seattle. But in those cities, the players are left with no doubt who is in charge.