PDA

View Full Version : Rios / Walker on Hitting Issues

Lip Man 1
07-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Rios says he's not comfortable, Walker appears to be a tad miffed based on his quotes (that's just my opinion of course given that I wasn't there to actually hear how Walker said what he did...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-rios-remains-in-search-of-comfort-production-20110716,0,5928417.story

Lip

dickallen15
07-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Rios says he's not comfortable, Walker appears to be a tad miffed based on his quotes (that's just my opinion of course given that I wasn't there to actually hear how Walker said what he did...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-rios-remains-in-search-of-comfort-production-20110716,0,5928417.story

Lip

I think he'd be very comfortable sitting on the bench.

gosox41
07-16-2011, 11:14 PM

Lip

Rios is making $12 mill per year. Go hire a personal hitting coach who makes you comfortable and who you can work with.

If I were Rios, being the embarassment that I was the first half, I'd do anything I could do to break out of this.

Bob

Soxfest
07-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I think in private alot of Sox hitters are fed up with Walker overall.

DonnieDarko
07-16-2011, 11:20 PM

And what evidence lead you to this conclusion? Or is this just wild conjecture?

DumpJerry
07-16-2011, 11:20 PM
:scratch:

Why do you think more than 50% of the Sox players are "fed up" with Walker "overall?" Are the Sox players you're referring to the posters on WSI who have been calling for his head? Have they been calling/texting/emailing you to let you know of their frustration with Walker?

Just curious where the factual (as opposed to opinion) assertion comes from.

dickallen15
07-16-2011, 11:29 PM

Because if they aren't hitting, it can't possibly be their fault? Walker is pretty popular with the players. Your post couldn't be more inaccurate.

MetroPD
07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
:scratch: I'm not seeing it sorry. With exception to Rios and Dunn, both who are flaky as can be with consistency, I see no others continually embarrassing themselves out there like those two. Rios granted is actually hitting over .200 so there is still hope for him yet. Dunn might as well be taking swings from the right side for all the good its doing him standing up there in batters box.

hawkjt
07-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Konerko likes Walker...a lot.
Rios is so messed up,he looks like he is just trying to touch wood to leather in such a fashion not to bruise that leather. Could not break a grape with that swing right now. It is amazing how a guy could lose it completely....it is like he has muscle memory amnesia...just forgot how to hit.

SOXfnNlansing
07-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Walker was alright in 2005. I guess I don't understand the need for big leaguers to need someone to hold their hand in the cage. I'm sure the technology the White Sox employ is sufficient to show any hitter their flaws. :scratch:

LITTLE NELL
07-17-2011, 07:38 AM
None of us are hitting coaches but there is something about Rios and his batting stance that drives me crazy, just seems like there is way too much bend in his knees and it seems to look like he is way off balance. I read somewhere that it looks like he is trying to sit and play the piano without the bench.

Good read here on his stance. I know it's Bleacher Report but I think they have this one right.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/724331-mlb-power-rankings-the-23-quirkiest-batting-stances-in-baseball#/articles/724331-mlb-power-rankings-the-23-quirkiest-batting-stances-in-baseball/page/22

kufram
07-17-2011, 10:05 AM
None of us are hitting coaches but there is something about Rios and his batting stance that drives me crazy, just seems like there is way too much bend in his knees and it seems to look like he is way off balance. I read somewhere that it looks like he is trying to sit and play the piano without the bench.

Good read here on his stance. I know it's Bleacher Report but I think they have this one right.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/724331-mlb-power-rankings-the-23-quirkiest-batting-stances-in-baseball#/articles/724331-mlb-power-rankings-the-23-quirkiest-batting-stances-in-baseball/page/22

I agree and I do know a little about swinging a bat. Rios' stance looks so unnatural to him. Contrived, even. Rios is a big, well-balanced man that looks like he's trying to be small. I wonder if it is not his natural stance at all. Don't get me wrong, there are some horrible stances out there by great hitters who get results and you NEVER argue with results.

Paul Konerko has my kind of stance... balanced, relaxed and in a position to go anywhere he needs to go to do what he needs to do with a pitch.

I wonder what would happen if Rios just stood at the plate with his knees bent a little for balance, bat at a 45 degree angle, hands up behind his chin, and stopped trying to do the limbo to the pitch.

Noneck
07-17-2011, 10:15 AM
None of us are hitting coaches but there is something about Rios and his batting stance that drives me crazy, just seems like there is way too much bend in his knees and it seems to look like he is way off balance.

This is exactly what I have seen for awhile, plus his left foot being unbalanced. This stance to me takes away any type of power in a swing.

The thing that I dont understand is with technology of today Rios should be able to find any at bat he has ever had on tape. He can see what he was doing frame by frame when things were going good or bad. If I saw him change things to try to get better, then at least it would appear he is trying, but he hasn't changed this stance all year, his hand position yes but not the rest of the stance.

Red Barchetta
07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I agree. Since Rios is playing in the major leagues and I am not, he's obvsiously doing something right. However, his batting stance and how he positions himself to get ready to hit goes against everything any coach has taught me or what I try to teach in my son's league. He looks completely off balance. However, with the same approach, he had a pretty good 2010 so what do I know?! :scratch:

I know the SOX abandoned the Charlie Lau/Walt Hrynak approach, however I thought it improved many hitters approach and then when a great hitter like Frank Thomas applied the principles, the results were outstanding.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-17-2011, 10:36 AM
I could not care less about Greg Walker.

My guess is that Rios skated through his twenties putting up numbers that while reasonable, were not an indication of his true potential. Now that he is reaching 30, his athletic gifts are no longer sufficient to mask the lack of dedication to his craft. He's being exposed. And it's not just at the plate, it is becoming apparent in the field and on the base paths as well.

There's a reason that every team passed on him.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/6533571-452/white-sox-hitting-coach-isnt-going-anywhere-as-long-as-ozzies-around.html

Lip

PalehosePlanet
07-17-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/6533571-452/white-sox-hitting-coach-isnt-going-anywhere-as-long-as-ozzies-around.html

Lip

Unbelievable. Our AL rankings: 9th in Runs; 9th in BA; 8th in OBP, 10th in Slugging, 11th w/RISP and 12th w/2 out RISP.

Yet he's entrenched as our hitting coach? This is the equivalent of a car salesman selling 5 cars a year and keeping his job, because the cars should, but won't, sell themselves.

Hopefully he's The Marlins hitting coach next year.

daveeym
07-17-2011, 01:32 PM
There goes ozzie throwing people under the bus again. And now we will have his rant about how people are making **** up in two days.

The link to rios comments and everything else said says volumes to me about Walker and his strategy. He seems to have a hitting theory but no one listens to him and he doesn't tailor his approach to the individual. So while he'll never get fired he doesn't have the backing to say my way or the highway.

Which is good, any hitting coach at the major league level with that attitude needs to go. Put that **** in the minors. In the majors you're not going to change more than a handful of guys swings. You need to be able to get guys hands in the right position, their load correct, etc in the construct of the swing they have and has gotten them to the bigs. That means tons of video work and repetition of slight changes. However, it always seems wholesale changes are attempted to be made mid season when the Sox are concerned.

If walker is any good he needs to be applying this in the off season. The only way to change a guys swing is to drill it into them and force them to do it in practice without any games. Then they need to go and get away from the game for a month or two. When they come back that schooling is habit and feels natural. When trying to do it in the course of the season, game time hits and you revert back to the swing that's been natural all your life.

With the poor scouting and lack of video in other matters for the Sox I question how good their work is for their hitters.

Rios' comments also indicate to me an entire problem with MLB that has been there for the last 20 years or so. They don't let hitters hit. They identify a guy like Rios and based on his "potential" go in and try to make them power hitters. They don't let them just go and hit. 6 foot plus guys that come up and spray the ball all over and look to be able to hit .300 get forced into trying to be 35 hr and 100 rbi guys because of their potential (45 and 120 during the steroid era). When if they'd just let them hit they'd accidentally hit 25 and 85 with a close to .300 average.

daveeym
07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Unbelievable. Our AL rankings: 9th in Runs; 9th in BA; 8th in OBP, 10th in Slugging, 11th w/RISP and 12th w/2 out RISP.

Yet he's entrenched as our hitting coach? This is the equivalent of a car salesman selling 5 cars a year and keeping his job, because the cars should, but won't, sell themselves.

Hopefully he's The Marlins hitting coach next year.

It's a baseball coaching attitude. 90% of them act like this. I played the game, I got hired as a coach, I know *** I'm doing and any player that thinks otherwise is an idiot. 1st round draft pick and struggling? **** you, I've got 30 years in the game, hit my way or you sit. Struggling Dunn with a track record, you're obviously too stubborn to make a change, they figured you out, you're getting old...There are smart baseball guys out there coaching and managing but very few of them are good teachers and the ones that are get buried in the minors or college and toil away there forever.

captain54
07-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I think Greg Walker should just keep his mouth shut and be thankful he has a job where there's really no accountability or standard for his performance, other than his longevity in the organization.

RKMeibalane
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I think Greg Walker should just keep his mouth shut and be thankful he has a job where there's really no accountability or standard for his performance, other than his longevity in the organization.

Not to hijack this thread, but it amazes me to no end how many people in Major League Baseball could have a sentence like this applied to them, as one could easily substitute another name (Joe West, for example) in place of Walker's.

captain54
07-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but it amazes me to no end how many people in Major League Baseball could have a sentence like this applied to them, as one could easily substitute another name (Joe West, for example) in place of Walker's.

It amazes me how anyone employed in MLB could complain about how rough they have it. You're involved in a game we played as kids and you are paid very well.

Falstaff
07-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Ya, that stance eerily reminds me of Jeff Bagwell vs. Bobby Jenks: 3 pitchs, 3 swinging misses, back to the piano bench.

Hartman
07-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Rios is damn lucky that Dunn is having such an extraordinary bad year. He has had very little scrutiny put on him in comparison...he should have little to no pressure when he goes up there after Dunn strikes out on 3 pitches.

Perhaps he needs to spend some time in the minors to learn how to hit again.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Some people say a hitting coach doesn't make any difference. The Texas Rangers disagree (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20110716-kinsler-rangers-hitters-thriving-under-coolbaughs-watch.ece).

SI1020
07-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I read Ron Washington's quote and wanted to scream. Somebody please tell that to our hitters.

SoxSpeed22
07-17-2011, 08:58 PM
And Coolbaugh was the guy I wanted the Sox to bring in next season. I didn't know he became the Rangers batting coach in June.

Nellie_Fox
07-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Rios is damn lucky that Dunn is having such an extraordinary bad year. He has had very little scrutiny put on him in comparison...he should have little to no pressure when he goes up there after Dunn strikes out on 3 pitches.

Perhaps he needs to spend some time in the minors to learn how to hit again.
He.
Can't.
Be.
Sent.
To.
The.
Minors.

A. Cavatica
07-18-2011, 08:26 AM
He.
Can't.
Be.
Sent.
To.
The.
Minors.

Send him to the Cubs, then.

Bucky F. Dent
07-18-2011, 08:37 AM
I read Ron Washington's quote and wanted to scream. Somebody please tell that to our hitters.

Somebody please tell me why our hitting coach does not seem to have the same ability to communicate with our players!?!

Hartman
07-18-2011, 09:12 AM
I find it interesting that Konerko is completely on board with Walker. Given his success this year, seems that would make it easier for other players to buy into Walker's system.

But obviously that's not the case.

Bob Roarman
07-18-2011, 09:16 AM
It's never the case. Ever. With any hitting coach. What is so hard to understand about this?