PDA

View Full Version : Is Jenks done?

PeteWard
07-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Another trip to DL - third time this year. ERA is over six.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6775614/boston-red-sox-put-bobby-jenks-dl-recall-randy-williams

It will take a heck of a comeback.

Huisj
07-16-2011, 09:02 PM
I doubt he's done. Relievers have a tendency to crumble and then return from dead after a year or two of disappearing. It wouldn't be shocking to see him learn from a couple years of sucking from injuries to realize what getting in shape means, and he might come back and throw hard for a year or two and be somewhat effective before flaming out again.

DumpJerry
07-16-2011, 09:44 PM
We've been saying this for over a year. The Red Sox media and fans are the one who thought they had landed Mariano in his prime when they signed him. Fools.

SOXSINCE'70
07-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I feel bad for Bobby,but i'm glad he's not on the WHITE Sox' DL this time.

gosox41
07-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I feel bad for Bobby,but i'm glad he's not on the WHITE Sox' DL this time.

Not to change the subject of this thread, but it is no surprise that Jenks is breaking down.

I think a team is going to regret signing Prince Fielder to a long term deal for the same reason.

Bob

DSpivack
07-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Done? Not necessarily.

Jason Isringhausen is still in the league. There's always a job for relievers.

Chez
07-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Did you see who the Red Sox brought up to replace Jenks? Randy Williams! Yes, that Randy Williams! One of the most ineffective relief pitchers in recent White Sox history -- worse than Sisco; worse than Bukvich etc. I can't believe it. Further evidence that you should force your sons and daughters to throw with their left hand.

PatK
07-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I think Jenks needs a year off and needs to take a serious look at a good trainer/conditioning program in the offseason.

thomas35forever
07-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Further evidence I'm glad he's gone from us.

Lamp81
07-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Did you see who the Red Sox brought up to replace Jenks? Randy Williams! Yes, that Randy Williams! One of the most ineffective relief pitchers in recent White Sox history -- worse than Sisco; worse than Bukvich etc. I can't believe it. Further evidence that you should force your sons and daughters to throw with their left hand.

Are you saying that the day where a woman pitches in the major leagues, will happen in our lifetime?

As the father of a daughter, who says she wants to be the 1st woman to play for the White Sox, I can only envision her at 2nd Base, not as a pitcher.

And if your daughter is forced to become a lefty, and pitching doesn't work out, you are confining her to 1st and the Outfield.

So please, let your daughters be righties and let your sons be the lefties.

SoxSpeed22
07-17-2011, 08:32 PM
That could work if a lefty throwing woman threw from such an odd angle, left handed hitters wouldn't be able to pick up the ball. :scratch:

ComiskeyBrewer
07-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I think a team is going to regret signing Prince Fielder to a long term deal for the same reason.

Bob

Agreed. Having watched him come up thru the minors starting back in 2002 in Beloit, and witnessed him grow in Milwaukee, I can honestly say I love Prince as a player, and he's a great person to boot. However, he is Mo Vaughn waiting to happen. Someone is going to sign him to a nice fat contract, and he will be worth it for the first 3 years or so, but the last 4 of that contract are going to be an albatross.

DonnieDarko
07-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Are you saying that the day where a woman pitches in the major leagues, will happen in our lifetime?

As the father of a daughter, who says she wants to be the 1st woman to play for the White Sox, I can only envision her at 2nd Base, not as a pitcher.

For what my statements are worth, let me preface the following by saying this: the only positions I can feasibly see a woman playing in MLB are Left Field (with an arm similar to Juan Pierre's), Second Base or pitcher, preferably a left-handed pitcher.

Are you saying that you don't think that a woman (or in this case, your daughter) could become the next Mark Buehrle? Considering how "soft" Buehrle throws, I can totally see a woman pitching like he does. Now, a right-handed soft tosser doesn't work nearly as well as a lefty, which is why I personally think that the only way that a woman could make it in MLB as a pitcher would be as a left-hander.

In fact, if I remember correctly, there already has been a woman to play professional baseball--just in this case in Japan and as far as I know only in their minor league system. She was a left-handed knuckleballer, IIRC (the only other kind of female pitcher I can think of ever seeing), but I don't remember if she ever made it to the big show over there. If anyone could come up with some evidence to tell me what happened to her, I would be most appreciative.

seventyseven
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Done? Not necessarily.

Jason Isringhausen is still in the league. There's always a job for relievers.

Izzy doesn't have weight problems.

SSrep
07-19-2011, 04:06 PM
For what my statements are worth, let me preface the following by saying this: the only positions I can feasibly see a woman playing in MLB are Left Field (with an arm similar to Juan Pierre's), Second Base or pitcher, preferably a left-handed pitcher.

I can't see a woman ever playing major league baseball in this country.

TDog
07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I can't see a woman ever playing major league baseball in this country.

I could see a woman pitching in the major leagues if she could get people out. But she would have to pay a lot of dues and get a lot of people out before she got to the majors.

Sox
07-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Can anyone say "A League of their own'? :wink:

Huisj
07-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Speaking of Jenks being out, anyone see who Boston has in their bullpen now as a replacement? The hint is he stinks (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/willira01.shtml).

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Speaking of Jenks being out, anyone see who Boston has in their bullpen now as a replacement? The hint is he stinks (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/willira01.shtml).

Hard to believe someone finds value in him.