PDA

View Full Version : Should MLB player visits to the Negro League museum be mandatory?

thomas35forever
07-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Ozzie thinks they should be and I don't see why not. Players need to understand that this is very much a part of baseball history that is often overlooked.

BleacherBandit
07-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Museums aren't necessary to have a knowledge or appreciation for a historical period. However, I think most ballplayers who visit K.C. should have an impetus to visit it. It's baseball's history and this country's history, so why wouldn't you have at least a small interest in visiting it if it's there?

kittle42
07-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I see Ozzie Guillen's non-managing ideas are also bad.

PeteWard
07-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Recommended? Of course. Mandatory? No.

Red Barchetta
07-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Agreed. Sort of like our reviewing our American history.

Ironic, considering the low percentage of African Americans (never sure if that's the politically correct description) in the game today compared to the 70s, etc.

Railsplitter
07-16-2011, 06:25 PM
recommended? Of course. Mandatory? No.

+1

SI1020
07-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Recommended? Of course. Mandatory? No. Exactly. No one should be forced. I've found that most people regardless of age, income, or social status know jack about any kind of history. As for modern day athletes I think most of them take the Vince Coleman attitude concerning past greats in their individual sports. If they even bother to think about it at all. I would recommend a visit to the Negro League museum but I'm the kind of guy who loves history and has the bank account to prove it.

DSpivack
07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Exactly. No one should be forced. I've found that most people regardless of age, income, or social status know jack about any kind of history. As for modern day athletes I think most of them take the Vince Coleman attitude concerning past greats in their individual sports. If they even bother to think about it at all. I would recommend a visit to the Negro League museum but I'm the kind of guy who loves history and has the bank account to prove it.

:?::scratch:

spawn
07-17-2011, 12:22 AM

Agreed.