PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-15 Floyd, Sox hitters declaw Detroit 8-2 Postgame Party Thread

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Sighs of relief; hopefully signs of things to come...

delben91
07-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Only had gamecast, but "looked" like Dunn hit a couple of balls decently well tonight.

all*star quentin
07-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Team effort! :)

guillensdisciple
07-15-2011, 10:14 PM
White Sox have to go 49 and 20 to hit my projected win mark :redface:

Well, at least everyone contributed.

Soxfest
:smile:Nice win!

soltrain21
Good start to the second half. Let's keep it going.

LITTLE NELL
07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
A sign of things to come?
Lets hope so.

PeteWard
07-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Wow, eight runs in a game started by Verlander. Great game by Gavin who did not melt down when it looked like he might; bullpen shaky but no runs, Dunn hits the ball well, and Beckham shows some life!

Nice start to the second half.

I found it interesting that Detroit's announcers said they were more worried about the Sox than Cle and Minny. I hope the Sox prove them right. We'll see.

:gulp:

TommyGavinFloyd
07-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Lefties overall were hitting .158 against Verlander, and Dunn got a hit when it counted (although his 0 out, bases loaded pop up...ugh). He also walked and scored. At least he is making progress. Mr. Rios on the other hand...

Great job by Floyd tonight, not shocked at all Cabrera hit a hr but way to shut down Boesch, Kelly, and Rayburn who usually tear it up vs us.

PeteWard
07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Only had gamecast, but "looked" like Dunn hit a couple of balls decently well tonight.

He lined very hard into a DP---Alexei was wandering and got doubled off. :(:

October26
07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Offense + Pitching = A wonderful White sox winner!
We finally beat Verlander. :bandance:

hawkjt
07-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Very nice team win...VeryLoser goes down!
Big hits by Adam,Gordo,Carlos,Juan,ect....
Defense? check
Offense? check
Pitching?check

Verlander gives up 4 earned runs total his last 7 starts? And the Sox get 4 off of him in the 3rd? Cool.

Now,go out and do it the whole road trip and get this thing rolling.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Most of us probably expected the Verlander game to be a loss. So it was outstanding to get an "easy" win in which our best relievers weren't needed. Now Santos, Crain, Thornton and Sale remain rested for tomorrow. Hopefully we win the series tomorrow and can get the sweep on Sunday.

It would be so incredibly huge if Beckham and Dunn can hit well during these last 70 games.

Viva Medias B's
07-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Great effort. We scored with two outs and runners in scoring position!

Frater Perdurabo
White Sox have to go 49 and 20 to hit my projected win mark :redface:

Well, at least everyone contributed.

I can see a scenario where they go 49-20 the rest of the way, if they pitch and hit and field like they did tonight.

johnnyg83
Very hard to beat Verlander this year. And we just did it in Detroit after a bunch of rest for him. Good win, White Sox.

Before he faced the Royals last week I'd heard something silly like 5 ERs in his last 8 starts, maybe it was the reverse, but we done messed that up either way.

EDIT: before tonight, 6 ERS in his last 9 starts. Bravo, Sox.

PeteWard
07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Most of us probably expected the Verlander game to be a loss. So it was outstanding to get an "easy" win in which our best relievers weren't needed. Now Santos, Crain, Thornton and Sale remain rested for tomorrow. Hopefully we win the series tomorrow and can get the sweep on Sunday.

It would be so incredibly huge if Beckham and Dunn can hit well during these last 70 games.

Dunn will have to, if he is to stay fourth in the order. They were obviously pitching around Konerko tongiht and I am sure we will see that from just about every team if there is no one hitting behind him.

Go Adam! :gulp:

GlassSox
07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Very good "team" baseball execution :D:

Soxman219
07-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Rios needs to get going.

TDog
07-15-2011, 10:27 PM
The first game out of the All-Star break wasn't that different from opening day. The Sox got out to a big lead, but I'm sure the bullpen made people nervous, although tonight they weren't scored upon. Fortunately, the Tigers can't hit with runners in scoring position.

As was the case in the losing homestand going into the break, when the Sox starter keeps the team in the game, the Sox win. If the starters do their job and go deep, the bullpen won't be overtaxed and will be coming into games in a position of strength. If the starters don't perform, even scoring five runs in the first won't help.

I was impressed with the way the Sox got to Verlander tonight. Back when the Sox used to generally beat him, they got to him in the middle and late innings. Verlander is a different pitcher now and he has been able to go deeper into games without tiring. Tonight, the Sox got to him early and Floyd came back and shut the Tigers down. The half inning after the Tigers scored, the Sox got one run back (the unearned run, of course, as the Sox run was unearned).

It was a good game all around. The offense, especially Quentin, had it going. The pitching was only scored upon on a home run.

Beating the Tigers' second-best pitcher is a solid way to start the series.

ElevenUp
07-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Great job by Gavin. He's been a Tiger killer since he's been with the Sox.

PeteWard
07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Great job by Gavin. He's been a Tiger killer since he's been with the Sox.

Even the HR by Cabrera was not a terrible pitch. It broke down --not really a hanger--but Cabrera seemed to anticipate it and just went down and got it.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
As was the case in the losing homestand going into the break, when the Sox starter keeps the team in the game, the Sox win. If the starters do their job and go deep, the bullpen won't be overtaxed and will be coming into games in a position of strength. If the starters don't perform, even scoring five runs in the first won't help.

While I agree with your premise that pitching is paramount, there have been too many games in which the Sox starting pitcher has kept the team in the game, but the offense has failed.

It was nice to see both great pitching and productive hitting on the same night.

voodoochile
07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Sighs of relief; hopefully signs of things to come...
Some real nice at bats tonight to drive in runs. When this team plays like that they can beat anyone. Obviously that's a bit redundant, since they scored 8, but I'm more talking about the approach. Hopefully they can find some focus in the second half and go on a run. Picked up a game on Detroit but unfortunately Cleveland held on. Well, we'll take care of them next.

Dunn and Quentin did a nice job of making the Kittens pay for walking Paulie. Gotta keep doing that. Even AJ and Rios who were both hitless had a couple of well hit baseballs just foul or at someone. Nice to see Mr. Floyd get off to a good second half start.

Stay focused, stay loose, get wins the rest will take care of itself...

3 games under, 5 games back. GO SOX!

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

PeteWard
07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
While I agree with your premise that pitching is paramount, there have been too many games in which the Sox starting pitcher has kept the team in the game, but the offense has failed.

It was nice to see both great pitching and productive hitting on the same night.

Agreed. The offense has let down the pitching many, many more times than the opposite.

SOXSINCE'70
07-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Here's hoping Leyland lets Verlander throw 130-140 pitches more often in the second half.Hawk and Stone brought up an interesting point; after the ASB, Verlander is only 12 games over .500 in his career. The first half is when he truly excels.

Glad Dunn had a good game. Quentin looking better as well.
Alex Rios, it's time to remove your head from your ass and just hit the damn ball!!:angry::angry:

Let's do it again tomorrow afternoon.Like others, I hope this is the start of a trend.:praying:

voodoochile
07-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Lefties overall were hitting .158 against Verlander, and Dunn got a hit when it counted (although his 0 out, bases loaded pop up...ugh). He also walked and scored. At least he is making progress. Mr. Rios on the other hand...

Great job by Floyd tonight, not shocked at all Cabrera hit a hr but way to shut down Boesch, Kelly, and Rayburn who usually tear it up vs us.

That popup was the right idea, he just missed it. At least he got under the ball and lifted it. One centimeter one way or the other it's a sacrifice fly. Results weren't there, but at least he didn't K or GIDP...

PalehosePlanet
07-15-2011, 10:51 PM
The first game out of the All-Star break wasn't that different from opening day. The Sox got out to a big lead, but I'm sure the bullpen made people nervous, although tonight they weren't scored upon. Fortunately, the Tigers can't hit with runners in scoring position.

I was impressed with the way the Sox got to Verlander tonight. Back when the Sox used to generally beat him, they got to him in the middle and late innings. Verlander is a different pitcher now and he has been able to go deeper into games without tiring. Tonight, the Sox got to him early and Floyd came back and shut the Tigers down. The half inning after the Tigers scored, the Sox got one run back (the unearned run, of course, as the Sox run was unearned).

It was a good game all around. The offense, especially Quentin, had it going. The pitching was only scored upon on a home run.

Huh? Elaborate, por favor.

PeteWard
07-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Sox gain on Twins as Capps gives up a two-run HR with two out in the ninth.
Boos rained down upon his head. :bandance:

Lip Man 1
07-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Unexpected win. I'll take it.

Twins lost, Cleveland won.

Lip

Foulke You
07-15-2011, 11:16 PM
1W-0L to the start of this critical road trip and beating Verlander was huge. It would be nice if this was a start of a nice run for our offense. It is long overdue. I can't remember the last time we scored this many runs.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Did he take the booing in a fundamentally sound way?

Things in Minny can't get miserable enough to satisfy me. I'm mean like that.

Meanwhile, what a nice start to the road trip.

PeteWard
07-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Did he take the booing in a fundamentally sound way?

Things in Minny can't get miserable enough to satisfy me. I'm mean like that.

Meanwhile, what a nice start to the road trip.

Of course, he's a Twin and Gardy would not have it any other way. Capps did all the little things right as his humiliation unfolded. :wink:

They won't contend unless they sort out their bullpen, no matter how many of the injured come back and thrive.

Of course the Sox won't contend unless they can beat those bastards.

PalehosePlanet
07-15-2011, 11:27 PM

They should make this the basis of a heart warming, feel-good, 2 star movie. I'd go see it opening night and then buy it on blu ray the day it came out.

thomas35forever
07-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Nice to see the clock set back five years so we could tee off on Verlander.

JB98
07-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Lose to Anthony Swarzak, beat Justin Verlander. Go figure.

The Sox need to back this one up with another win tomorrow. This was a fine performance tonight, but we've seen that before -- only to be disappointed the next day.

Eventually, the Sox are going to have to piece together an extended winning streak. With all these games against division opponents coming, now would be a great time to do it.

Foulke You
07-16-2011, 03:05 AM

The Sox need to back this one up with another win tomorrow. This was a fine performance tonight, but we've seen that before -- only to be disappointed the next day.

Eventually, the Sox are going to have to piece together an extended winning streak. With all these games against division opponents coming, now would be a great time to do it.
The '11 Sox certainly are tough to figure out. I guess the most encouraging thing to take from this game was the offense. 8 runs is almost unheard of for this team and I saw a lot of quality at bats from our boys tonight. They were up there seeing pitches, fouling off pitches, and not wasting at bats for a change. I wish we could bottle this game up and see it over the course of the remaining games. Time to put this together against Scherzer tomorrow and Penny Sunday.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-16-2011, 03:32 AM

Verlander is the only thing keeping that Tigers rotation from being a hot mess. Only one player has a lower ERA than him, and that's Don Kelly, who a) has 0.00 in 0.1 innings pitched and b) is a left fielder.

Verlander's their best pitcher, and it's not even close.

LITTLE NELL
07-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Rios needs to get going.

I'd like to see him going in a trade somewhere.

EnglishChiSox
07-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I'd like to see him going in a trade somewhere.

It would take mental derangement on the part of 29 other GM's to get something good to be traded for in return for Rios.

TomBradley72
07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
It would take mental derangement on the part of 29 other GM's to get something good to be traded for in return for Rios.

Maybe there's a GM somewhere that would be willing to pick him up off waivers.

doublem23
07-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Just getting rid of him would be getting a good return.

I still feel Dunn, Beckham, and Peavy want to succeed. I don't feel like Rios gives a crap, he's getting paid.

tstrike2000
07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Ok, let's see now what this inconsistant offense can do with two guys with over 4.5 ERA's in Max Scherzer and Brad Penny aka Larry the Cable Guy.

kufram
07-16-2011, 10:42 AM

I still feel Dunn, Beckham, and Peavy want to succeed. I don't feel like Rios gives a crap, he's getting paid.

Sometimes I think the same thing. Rios doesn't give a lot away... I mean he doesn't show a lot of emotion. But I remember last year, and I think early this year, he was hitting the ball hard a lot... but always straight at somebody.

Maybe he doesn't care, but I find it hard to believe that a professional baseball player doesn't care about his own numbers if nothing else. Some of them care about their own numbers more than the team, which is a different story. Professional athletes care about winning, though. It is in their DNA.

I never thought Rios would be worth his contract but I thought he was the answer to our centerfield woes.... remember them? Dare I mention the guy I wish they hadn't traded away?

BigKlu59
07-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Ya, go figgure... but I'll take that gem of a game last night. Quite a pleasant evening of watching the Sox do what they should have been doing all season.. Hit the ball where they aint, and circle round the bases.

Also was nice seeing the other guys come up bupkus with RISP for a change..

Welcome to reality Adam Dunn.. Its great to see this guy put some wood on the ball and put it in play.. I dont mind these 1-4 games as long as when he puts it in the field of play anything can happen.. Would have had another RBI if he pushed that pop up a wee bit futher.

Rio's... Somebody get the weapon to put this lame equine out of its misery... Dont know about you guys but giving up 4 outs a game from this guy, 8 when Dunn was having psycho matters. is a big albatross on this team..

My that was sweet last night... Keep plugging away..

BK59

voodoochile
07-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Who plays center, Lilibridge?

kufram
07-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Yeah.... no, thanks. Lillibridge needs to go back to what he was earlier in the year. That is his value, which is very high. I don't really think Rios is dogging it. I think he is mentally broken. We need him to contribute.

The trouble with hitting is that, at this level, it doesn't get "fixed"... it just comes back. Ask Tiger Woods. What is different about Tiger's swing now than from 2 years ago? Why can't he play golf like he could 2 years ago? Probably not a physical problem as much as he wants to think it is.

jdm2662
07-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah.... no, thanks. Lillibridge needs to go back to what he was earlier in the year. That is his value, which is very high. I don't really think Rios is dogging it. I think he is mentally broken. We need him to contribute.

The trouble with hitting is that, at this level, it doesn't get "fixed"... it just comes back. Ask Tiger Woods. What is different about Tiger's swing now than from 2 years ago? Why can't he play golf like he could 2 years ago? Probably not a physical problem as much as he wants to think it is.

While some of Tiger's problems are certainly mental, he's had major knee surgery and other injuries. Injuries simply don't heal as well in your mid-30s. Hell, I'm the same age as Tiger, and I had back spasms laying on my fricking bed this morning.

doublem23
07-16-2011, 12:28 PM

I really don't give a ****, there's got to be a guy making almost nothing who can play better CF and hit under .250.

#1swisher
07-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Great game, when everyone shows up! Rios is close, IMO.

fram40
07-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I really don't give a ****, there's got to be a guy making almost nothing who can play better CF and hit under .250.

agreed.

AnkleSox
07-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Ok, let's see now what this inconsistant offense can do with two guys with over 4.5 ERA's in Max Scherzer and Brad Penny aka Larry the Cable Guy.

Well, they just teed off on Verlander, so they'll probably score 2 runs total against Scherzer and Penny.

Chez
07-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Eight runs without hitting a home run. Love it.

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Brian Anderson or DeWayne Wise? :tongue: