PDA

View Full Version : In the Southtown...

Cheryl
07-11-2002, 02:40 PM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/111sd1.htm

Here's a quote:

"The Daily Southtown has learned that Williams has had discussions with "baseball people" both inside and outside the organization, gathering their opinions about the job pitching coach Nardi Contreras has done.

That means Contreras could be the first fall guy for the team's disappointing 42-46 first-half showing."

Soxheads
07-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Here's a quote:

"The Daily Southtown has learned that Williams has had discussions with "baseball people" both inside and outside the organization, gathering their opinions about the job pitching coach Nardi Contreras has done.

That means Contreras could be the first fall guy for the team's disappointing 42-46 first-half showing."

I've been thinking recently (which some of you may doubt), an I realized that we all want this team to succeed, and if they do dramatically improve, and Nardi hasn't been fired yet, he likely will not be. However, if the team fails miserably, Nardi probably will be fired, but it will just be one more losing season that none of us wants to see.

Pick your poison.

CerberusWG
07-11-2002, 03:52 PM
For the love of God, lets hope he talks to Lou Pinella.

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Here's a quote:

That means Contreras could be the first fall guy for the team's disappointing 42-46 first-half showing." as a gm, why would he ask around for an eval of personal that are under him? can't he make his own judgement call?

Iguana775
07-11-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
as a gm, why would he ask around for an eval of personal that are under him? can't he make his own judgement call?

that should tell you that he is not qualified to make a decision like that and doesnt deserve to be a GM.

or, another side of it.....JM likes nardi so much that KW doesnt want him to fire his best bud. so KW goes out and gets proof from other people that he sux. not sure why he would need to do that. just look at last years IR list.

Chisoxfn
07-11-2002, 07:43 PM
If you ask me this is the first smart thing KW has done in a while. Before you fire anyone, you aught to talk to other people and get on the same page as everyone and collect other peoples feedback as well. Yes...your decision is the final one, but if you don't consider anyone else then you are at risk of making a big mistake. Also, you think he should just fire him without even talking to Manuel. Come on a key to sucess for a team that doesn't spend a 100 million is for their to be a good relationship between the manager and gm cause they need to make good with what they got.

LongDistanceFan
07-11-2002, 11:39 PM
ok i see what you are saying. as a gm, you should have an idea of what your personal is doing, if that person is not cutting the mustard then he is fired. why do you need to go outside the org for that advice?

Jerry_Manuel
07-11-2002, 11:57 PM
ok i see what you are saying. as a gm, you should have an idea of what your personal is doing, if that person is not cutting the mustard then he is fired. why do you need to go outside the org for that advice?

Perhaps outside the organization in this case means former Sox pitchers?

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Perhaps outside the organization in this case means former Sox pitchers? good point.

bc2k
07-12-2002, 01:57 AM
From the same Southtown article, "When and if Contreras is fired, expect minor league pitching coordinator Don Cooper to take over. Despite his title, Cooper has been with the major league squad all season, helping Contreras out."

I've heard nothing of Cooper being with the major league team this season? Is he on the bench during games, does he travel with the team? And if he has worked with the Sox pitchers this year, do we really want him as successor to Nardi?

I don't know much about the minor league coaches but I remember hearing good things about a pitching coach named Champion here on WSI. I don't know what level he is currently coaching on, but from what little I know of him would seem like he could have success with the current Sox pitchers.

Tragg
07-12-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775

that should tell you that he is not qualified to make a decision like that and doesnt deserve to be a GM.

That's a given - that's a condition we know exists. Given that situation, I'm glad he's seeking outside expertise (and beyond that club "consultant"). Wish he'd do it before he pulls off any more inane trades.

delben91
07-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
From the same Southtown article, "When and if Contreras is fired, expect minor league pitching coordinator Don Cooper to take over. Despite his title, Cooper has been with the major league squad all season, helping Contreras out."

I've heard nothing of Cooper being with the major league team this season? Is he on the bench during games, does he travel with the team? And if he has worked with the Sox pitchers this year, do we really want him as successor to Nardi?

I don't know much about the minor league coaches but I remember hearing good things about a pitching coach named Champion here on WSI. I don't know what level he is currently coaching on, but from what little I know of him would seem like he could have success with the current Sox pitchers.

I remember during a game on WGN a few months ago, there was a shot of the dugout and Buehrle was talking to some guy I didn't recognize on the bench. Hawk mentioned that it was Cooper. Don't know about travelling with the team, but I believe this was a road game (in wrigley maybe??? can't remember). But he's at least been with the sox a little bit. As far as Champion goes, I'm a big backer of him. He was the one that always seemed to get Kip going again in AAA every time he got sent down, and he did the same thing with Garland. Seems to know what he's doing, and has turned out some good pitchers in the last few years. At the same time though, I've heard good things about Cooper as well.

Heck, they can't be worse than Nardi!!

DrWatson27
07-12-2002, 10:19 AM
as a gm, why would he ask around for an eval of personal that are under him? can't he make his own judgement call? He can make his own judgement calls remember :hitless :ritchie :D:
Unfortunatly there of real high quality!

raul12
07-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by DrWatson27
He can make his own judgement calls remember :hitless :ritchie :D:
Unfortunatly there of real high quality!

didn't he get a bag of balls for $10.99 when K-mart was going out of business? that was a steal!

we need a bag of balls tag....

:bagofballs

the scorekeeper
07-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

Maybe Cooper is the guy we've been trying to ID in the bullpen all year. Wears #60-something I think and works with Art. He showed up last year when Kusnyer was attending to some personal business.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by the scorekeeper
Maybe Cooper is the guy we've been trying to ID in the bullpen all year. Wears #60-something I think and works with Art. He showed up last year when Kusnyer was attending to some personal business.

Here is a photo of Cooper:

Whenever I've seen Cooper he's always in the dugout.

http://www.bullssoxacademy.com/gallary/thumbnails/PC080106_t.jpg

the scorekeeper
07-16-2002, 04:53 PM
yup, that's him. He's usually in the bullpen at Comiskey. Of course, I can't see much in the dugout from my seats, so he could be there at times, too.