PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet...

doublem23
07-15-2011, 03:35 PM
In the Cubs/Marlins lowlight-a-thon, we have Carlos Marmol blowing a 2-0 lead in the 9th, propelled by walking the 1st three batters he faced on 13 cumulative pitches, but the inning was punctuated by our own beloved Perfect Game Saver, Dewayne Wise, apparently back in the big leagues (wow, the Marlins must suck) who scored the go-ahead run after a Darwin Barney throwing error allowed him to get to the plate safely, since he fell down in no-man's land between third and home.

http://deadspin.com/5821567/cubs-and-marlins-do-their-best-to-out+lowlight-one-another

Great stuff. Compelling and rich.

SI1020
07-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I liked Wise. Another fringe player that Ozzie tried to make into something he wasn't. Wise isn't a very good hitter, but he is pretty athletic and managed to pull off that little fall down without looking like a complete ass. He recovered nicely. We have troubles but thank heavens we're not the Cubs. I actually feel bad for my Cub fan friends this year.

kittle42
07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
We have troubles but thank heavens we're not the Cubs. I actually feel bad for my Cub fan friends this year.

I think they're actually in a better position for 3 years from now than we are. Yeah, this year absolutely sucks, but once some contracts come off the books and if their young pitching develops, watch out. That is, IF they jettison Hendry and his horrible signings.

Chez
07-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I think they're actually in a better position for 3 years from now than we are. Yeah, this year absolutely sucks, but once some contracts come off the books and if their young pitching develops, watch out. That is, IF they jettison Hendry and his horrible signings.

You could say that about any and every team, right?

kittle42
07-15-2011, 06:21 PM

I guess so!

DSpivack
07-15-2011, 06:39 PM

I guess so!

Probably not the White Sox.

What young pitching? Or, what young hitting (outside of Viciedo, I guess)?

kittle42
07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Probably not the White Sox.

What young pitching? Or, what young hitting (outside of Viciedo, I guess)?

I guess just Sale. Man, this team's system is miserable. Meanwhile, teams like the Yankees continue to trade all their minor league talent while developing *other* minor league talent!

StillMissOzzie
07-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Not too many teams have the cabbage to burn and spend it as poorly as the Cubs with their big money, long term, no trade contracts.

SMO
:gulp:

doublem23
07-16-2011, 12:04 AM

My brother is a big Cubs fan and he's of the opinion they have no real pitching talent in the minors. They traded their best pitching prospect, Archer, in the off-season for Garza, and their #2, Cashner, needed all of 1 start this season to blow out his arm.

DSpivack
07-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Not too many teams have the cabbage to burn and spend it as poorly as the Cubs with their big money, long term, no trade contracts.

SMO
:gulp:

Like Rios, Dunn & Peavy?

Brian26
07-16-2011, 12:08 AM
I actually feel bad for my Cub fan friends this year.

I don't. I don't remember anyone offering condolences to the Sox in 2007.

Foulke You
07-16-2011, 03:15 AM
I don't. I don't remember anyone offering condolences to the Sox in 2007.
Excellent post. Cub fans were pretty obnoxious in 2007 as their team made the playoffs while we struggled. Nobody felt sorry for us even though half our team was hurt. In fact, it wasn't mentioned half as much as the Cubs injuries have been talked about this year.

EnglishChiSox
07-16-2011, 08:24 AM
I thought last night was good as well, Cubs won but Marmol was awful and Quade's face was a picture.

SI1020
07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't. I don't remember anyone offering condolences to the Sox in 2007. I'm older. The rivalry wasn't always as venomous as it is now, and I've had some good back and forth with some of their fans. Don't get me wrong. When the two teams play my stomach gets tied up in knots.

doublem23
07-16-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm older. The rivalry wasn't always as venomous as it is now, and I've had some good back and forth with some of their fans. Don't get me wrong. When the two teams play my stomach gets tied up in knots.

Its the recent influx of fake Cub fans that have really amped things up, I think. All of the Cub fans that I grew up with that are just as passionate and knowledgeable about the Cubs and baseball as we are about the Sox are usually pretty good. We tease each other but it's never too over the top. Then there's this whole subsection of Cub fans that don't really like baseball and they are just the worst.

Also, 2005 really stuck a thorn in their side, I'm sure, coupled with their spectacular failures in 2003 and 2008.

RKMeibalane
07-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Its the recent influx of fake Cub fans that have really amped things up, I think. All of the Cub fans that I grew up with that are just as passionate and knowledgeable about the Cubs and baseball as we are about the Sox are usually pretty good. We tease each other but it's never too over the top. Then there's this whole subsection of Cub fans that don't really like baseball and they are just the worst.

Also, 2005 really stuck a thorn in their side, I'm sure, coupled with their spectacular failures in 2003 and 2008.

This. I've never minded Cubs fans who genuinely root for their team, and are knowledgeable baseball fans. Fans of Wrigley Field- who attend Cubs games to get drunk, talk on their cellphones, pee in trash cans, and fawn at overweight women showing off their chests- are a different story however.

DSpivack
07-16-2011, 05:44 PM
This. I've never minded Cubs fans who genuinely root for their team, and are knowledgeable baseball fans. Fans of Wrigley Field- who attend Cubs games to get drunk, talk on their cellphones, pee in trash cans, and fawn at overweight women showing off their chests- are a different story however.

I've seen obnoxious drunk fans at many parks. It seems there are even teams that have bars where they even almost encourage such behavior, and here I'm mostly thinking of bars on the OF concourse in Atlanta and DC, although the Cubs to me certainly have the worst problems with behavior like that.

But what really stands out to me is the occasional trashing of their own field. I can't think of any other fanbase that does that.

PatK
07-17-2011, 10:52 AM

I've been hearing about "if the Cubs young talent develops, lookout" since the early 80s.

Rohan
07-17-2011, 04:21 PM
I liked Wise. Another fringe player that Ozzie tried to make into something he wasn't. Wise isn't a very good hitter, but he is pretty athletic and managed to pull off that little fall down without looking like a complete ass. He recovered nicely. We have troubles but thank heavens we're not the Cubs. I actually feel bad for my Cub fan friends this year.

I beg to differ. That was probably the funniest thing i've seen in awhile. Oh man... Sometimes i just feel bad for the Cubs and their loyal following. Other times I love it.

SI1020
07-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I've been hearing about "if the Cubs young talent develops, lookout" since the early 80s. I've been hearing it since Dick Drott and Moe Drabowsky were phenom pitchers.