PDA

View Full Version : Scalpers in Detroit

ChicagoG19
07-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I wasn't sure what forum to put this thread in, so mods please move this thread if necessary. I am going to be near Detroit tomorrow and figured I go to the game. There are currently only standing room only tickets available via the team's website, so I figured I would go the scalper route. So my question is: Are there a lot of scalpers outside the ballpark in Detroit? Will I have issues getting tickets that way?

DumpJerry
07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get tickets at the box office.

Oblong
07-14-2011, 10:17 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Comerica+Park&hl=en&ll=42.338213,-83.047736&spn=0.004267,0.011319&sll=37.160317,-95.712891&sspn=39.065838,92.724609&z=17

Here's a map of Comerica Park.

When I go to games I walk along Adams St. passed Cheli's Bar and come across tons of scalpers on the way. The "border", meaning the point where the Tigers will bust you, is once you cross Witherell st. Then you are considered on the premises. That's not based on any experience as I have season tickets and have never used one. It's simply observation. There's tons of security along the street there and I've seen them shoo the scalpers into the street so I assume that's what they are doing. I've seen plenty of transactions take place in full view of both Tigers security and Detroit police.

I don't know about similar borders around the stadium as I never go in any other way.

I will be there on Friday in Sec 216 row B.

kittle42
07-14-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get tickets at the box office.

He is right, there is only SRO.

ChicagoRushFan
07-15-2011, 12:31 AM
I was in Detroit earlier this year for a series with Boston. There were a ton of scalpers around. You won't have any problem finding tickets outside.

DumpJerry
07-15-2011, 07:48 AM
He is right, there is only SRO.
You fell for that trick, too?

Everytime the online sales agent says "SRO only" or "sold out" for a MLB game, I've gotten tickets for real seats at the Box Office window. The teams don't turn over all of their tickets to the online agent. There is also the Day of Game holdback and player turn-ins.

kittle42
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Everytime the online sales agent says "SRO only" or "sold out" for a MLB game, I've gotten tickets for real seats at the Box Office window. The teams don't turn over all of their tickets to the online agent. There is also the Day of Game holdback and player turn-ins.

Well, without that prior experience, you could see why one might be concerned that they'd get to the park and it would be sold out. That is good to know, though.

dickallen15
07-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Not at Target Field last July. They were all gone.

HebrewHammer
07-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Stubhub is no longer in business?

DumpJerry
07-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Fail.

I got over 10 tickets to a game at Target last year for a game the Twins' website said was sold out, out out, don't even bother us for tickets. I told my peeps in Minneapolis to stop by the actual box office and, voila!, they got tickets!

This was for one of the Sox games in July.

Also, all teams release tickets about 45 minutes before first pitch. Even the Cubs were doing that when they were selling out every game.

Taliesinrk
07-16-2011, 05:35 PM
i've gotten them like that before, but tried it last year (multiple times) with the Sox-Cubs and was told I was out of luck.

DumpJerry
07-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I was reminded tonight that two of my friends who were with me on the July trip last year to Target got tickets on the day of the game for Sox/Twins after the Twins' website said they had sent their ticket sellers to the Bahamas for the rest of the season due to no more tickets being available......

dickallen15
07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Fail.

I got over 10 tickets to a game at Target last year for a game the Twins' website said was sold out, out out, don't even bother us for tickets. I told my peeps in Minneapolis to stop by the actual box office and, voila!, they got tickets!

This was for one of the Sox games in July.

Also, all teams release tickets about 45 minutes before first pitch. Even the Cubs were doing that when they were selling out every game.

I was there at the box office about 6 hours before the game right behind Jeff Cox trying to get in after forgetting his ID. That was quite a show. At least 50 f bombs in about 2 minutes, but they had nothing. Went back 2 hours before the game. Nothing. An hour before the game. Nothing. I wound up getting some sweet seats for face, but missed the top of the first inning.

dickallen15
07-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Stubhub is no longer in business?

Stubhub is the way to go, but for the Twins last year, the prices were beyond ridiculous.

hawkjt
07-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Friday was the Tigers biggest crowd of the year....wonder if he to tickets at the window?

Oblong
07-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah I'd be interested too. Talked to a Sox fan on Friday night. Walked into the bathroom behind him and noticed his Konerko T Shirt. After washing our hands I yelled out (slightly drunk), "Hey, Paul Konerko... one of my favorite non Tigers!" Then we talked about his career for a bit and he said Verlander's his favorite non Sox. Welcomed him to Comerica Park. Made me wonder if this was him.

Crowd was well behaved.

ChicagoG19
07-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Well, there were plenty of scalpers outside the stadium and I was able to get tickets for well below what Stubhub was charging. The Sox win also helped.