PDA

View Full Version : Coop on mully and hanley

Mots09
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Said in his ten years this was the worst situation he's witnessed in regards to Dunn. Said it's a shame fans boo him after every at bat and he would never take his family to a game and act like that in front I his kids. Felt sox fans need to encourage him not boo him.

Ruled out possibility of Jake heading to pen and was hopefull the Sox could win the division.

Tidbit didn't know he has two boys ages 14 and 10.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 12:26 PM
With respect to Coop it's also a "shame" that Dunn admitted himself to the media, that he didn't swing a bat or work out this off season until he got to spring training.

Lip

Soxfest
07-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Said in his ten years this was the worst situation he's witnessed in regards to Dunn. Said it's a shame fans boo him after every at bat and he would never take his family to a game and act like that in front I his kids. Felt sox fans need to encourage him not boo him.

Ruled out possibility of Jake heading to pen and was hopefull the Sox could win the division.

Coop he gets paid the 15th and the 30th boo hoo!

Sockinchisox
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
With respect to Coop it's also a "shame" that Dunn admitted himself to the media, that he didn't swing a bat or work out this off season until he got to spring training.

Lip

That's his routine, it hasn't hurt him before. Why change it?

doublem23
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Because obviously the fans know more about what makes ballplayers successful than the players and coaches themselves!!!

RKMeibalane
07-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Because obviously the fans know more about what makes ballplayers successful than the players and coaches themselves!!!

That's right. We pay money to watch these people perform, so we obviously know better than they do what it takes to succeed at the Major League level, even though most of us are fat tubs of **** who struggle to walk from our front door to the mailbox every morning.

So there!

captain54
07-14-2011, 01:03 PM

True, and the manager and hitting coach of the White Sox have proved your statement by making Dunn a successful hitter this year

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-14-2011, 01:05 PM

What a coincidence, Dunn has given us the worst individual stats a full-time player has in the last 10 years. Fans are understandably displeased, and that's putting it mildly.

But OK, we'll bite...everyone clap and cheer after a Dunn strikeout! The more he strikes out, the less each individual K will cost! Rah rah! Yay for Dunn!!!

doublem23
07-14-2011, 01:08 PM
True, and the manager and hitting coach of the White Sox have proved your statement by making Dunn a successful hitter this year

Whatever is the cause of Dunn's struggles, I am sure that you and I don't know how to correct it.

captain54
07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Whatever is the cause of Dunn's struggles, I am sure that you and I don't know how to correct it.

would you be as forgiving toward the White Sox manager and coaches for not having an answer for Dunn's hitting problems if $12 M a year was coming out of YOUR pocket?

doublem23
07-14-2011, 01:16 PM
would you be as forgiving toward the White Sox manager and coaches for not having an answer for Dunn's hitting problems if $12 M a year was coming out of YOUR pocket?

That has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation to point.

kufram
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
No one knows how to make Dunn hit. No one. Hitting a baseball coming at you at anywhere from 88 to 100 mph moving in a direction you cannot predict is one of the hardest things to do in all of sport. Hitters go into slumps for absolutely no tangible reason whatsoever and they come out of them the same way. If there was a man that could actually FIX hitters he would be the highest paid man in all of baseball and have a job with any mlb team he wanted, any time he wanted, for as long as he wanted.

guillensdisciple
07-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Honestly what's the point of discussing Adam Dunn anymore? He sucks ass and that's it. Nothing we do will change it.

RKMeibalane
07-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Honestly what's the point of discussing Adam Dunn anymore? He sucks ass and that's it. Nothing we do will change it.

People have to bitch and moan about something around here.

34 Inch Stick
07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Said it's a shame fans boo him after every at bat and he would never take his family to a game and act like that in front I his kids. .

Booing at a game leaves about as negative of an impression on children as yelling for the hot dog vendor.

I'll consider it a failure in my parenting if my child grows up to boo at a professional sporting event.

captain54
07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
That has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation to point.

Really? Interesting. Hard to argue the fact that your perspective and opinion on the coaching staff would change had you in fact had a financial stake in their performance or lack therof

doublem23
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Really? Interesting. Hard to argue the fact that your perspective and opinion on the coaching staff would change had you in fact had a financial stake in their performance or lack therof

Well obvliously you only need look to the Chairman to see how he is reacting, of course, $12 million a year doesn't hurt as much considering the Sox are worth roughly a third of a billion dollars more valuable than when he bought them in the 1980s.

The point, however, was that you and I can put on our Pretend Baseball Experts caps all we want, that doesn't change the fact that we're only fans and have no actual insights into Dunn's hitting struggles other than "he sucks!"

DumpJerry
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I think Dunn and Rios (or should we just call the Runn and Dios?) are crapping in their pants this because they are obviously very stressed out and cannot relax and just play baseball.

Coming up with ways to spend all that money can be stressful.

soltrain21
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Lip

That's what he has done his whole career.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Sol:

And he's now also in his 30's. I've interviewed a number of players and former players who have told me as you get into your 30's, you have to start working out more. It's harder to stay in shape and keep the reflexes razor sharp.

Lip

captain54
07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Well obvliously you only need look to the Chairman to see how he is reacting, of course, $12 million a year doesn't hurt as much considering the Sox are worth roughly a third of a billion dollars more valuable than when he bought them in the 1980s.

No one on this board has any idea whatsoever as to how the Chairman is reacting to all of this. None

The point, however, was that you and I can put on our Pretend Baseball Experts caps all we want, that doesn't change the fact that we're only fans and have no actual insights into Dunn's hitting struggles other than "he sucks!"

No argument from me here. I would add though, that given the fact of our lack of actual insights into Dunn's struggles, no one can say definitively whether or not there might another human on this planet that knows how to fix Dunn's problems.

delben91
07-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Sol:

And he's now also in his 30's. I've interviewed a number of players and former players who have told me as you get into your 30's, you have to start working out more. It's harder to stay in shape and keep the reflexes razor sharp.

Lip

Let's see if his routine changes this offseason then. Fool me once and all that stuff.

Except I often forget that players should never make any mistakes, ever. And if they ever do, it is completely unforgivable and they should be made an example of!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

RKMeibalane
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Sol:

Lip

And perhaps now that he's experienced the worst season of his career, Dunn will rethink his off-season work habits. The reality is, no one would be complaining about Dunn doing nothing during the winter if he were hitting .260 with 15-20 home runs right now. The only reason people are bringing that up is because his offense is in the toilet.

None of us knows exactly what's going through Dunn's mind, nor do any of us know how to fix his problems at the plate. Doublem23 has it exactly right when he says that our insights into Dunn's struggles are limited to "he sucks," because that's all that most people around here can offer, which is all the more reason why people should stop beating a dead horse.

captain54
07-14-2011, 02:52 PM
And perhaps now that he's experienced the worst season of his career, Dunn will rethink his off-season work habits..

Here's a question for you, or anyone else...

I know I'm just a fan and I don't have a clue about baseball, but if you had a $56 M investment in a player, wouldn't you take the initiative into
monitoring your investment and his work out routine in the offseason?

guillensdisciple
07-14-2011, 02:57 PM

I know I'm just a fan and I don't have a clue about baseball, but if you had a $56 M investment in a player, wouldn't you take the initiative into

Why would you do that? That requires way too much effort.

hi im skot
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Kid gloves for everyone.

It's easy to go back to this because Dunn's first half was a complete abortion, but he's been one of the most consistent hitters over the course of a decade. Why on earth would anyone expect him to change his offseason approach?

hi im skot
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Why would you do that? That requires way too much effort.

No, it's just completely silly for the White Sox to get involved in a routine that has worked for Dunn for many years.

RKMeibalane
07-14-2011, 03:01 PM

If you're asking if I would check in with my players periodically, the answer is yes. Would I go so far as to watch every move a player makes when he's not at work? No. What Adam Dunn does during the off-season is his business. One would think that his experience this season would cause him to make better use of his time this coming off-season, but the Sox themselves can't force him to spend time in a batting cage. If the Sox are so concerned about a player that they need to follow his every move, it bears asking why they would invest so much money in him in the first place.

dickallen15
07-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Kid gloves for everyone.

It's easy to go back to this because Dunn's first half was a complete abortion, but he's been one of the most consistent hitters over the course of a decade. Why on earth would anyone expect him to change his offseason approach?
Dunn is ultimately responsible for his performance. If he did nothing and it gets to be well known and he doesn't perform, sorry, even if it worked before, its on him.

I'm sure that approach will be a thing of the past next offseason.

Huskie28
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
One thing I can say about Dunn is that he refuses to change his approach. I understand that he gets paid to hit home runs, but to keep doing what he is doing is asinine. Maybe it's time to cut down the home run swing and get comfortable with major league pitching again and then go for more. It's amazing what a week of some solid line drives and letting the ball get deep can do for a hitters psyche.

SI1020
07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Where's the poster who implied that today's players are all in buffed shape and the old timers were fat slobs that smoked three packs a day. Seriously though, shades of the Jenks controversy Dunn looks shall we say a little out of shape to me. Not Casey Hampton fat mind you, but not like Jim Thome either. You do have to work harder at it as you age. It also may be a case of time catching up to an overrated one dimensional player. Again I give kudos to 34rancher and TDog for being ahead of the curve on this guy. I certainly wasn't. The steroid era is over for now and hopefully gone for good. Pitching, speed, defense and versatility are back in vogue. Even at his peak Dunn was a player with serious limitations.

34rancher
07-14-2011, 04:09 PM

Ok, it has been said that Dunn has been a leader on teams he's been on in the past. If your leader is lazy in the offseason then so will probably a lot of other guys. If he's not been the leader, then his teams haven't had good leaders for not calling out his work ethic in the past. Either way, helps explain why he's never been on a team with a .500 or better record. And the NL central all those years never screamed out good teams.