PDA

View Full Version : KW quoted in some AP story... Thread gets idiotically misleading title

Fenway
07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15980/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=wpqSDq2X

Didn't take long for AP to put this on the national wire.

He hints if you keep reminding Dunn he stinks - it won't get better.

The WS lack of PR understanding is staggering

Bucky F. Dent
07-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey, I'm not the multi-million dollar clown hitting below two hundred!

34 Inch Stick
07-14-2011, 08:56 AM
KW's annual blaming of the fans.

Hitmen77
07-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Yes, KW wants everyone to just forget that he sunk over $100M ($24M for this season) for Dunn and Rios alone.:o:

Someone said in a recent thread that the only people accountable in the Sox organization are the fans. Perhaps that's true.

October26
07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
...feeling like apathy is settling in

Fenway
07-14-2011, 09:06 AM

White Sox fans haven't been that harsh...can you imagine if Dunn was putting these numbers up in Philadelphia???

Jollyroger2
07-14-2011, 09:29 AM
White Sox fans haven't been that harsh...can you imagine if Dunn was putting these numbers up in Philadelphia???

I was just about to say that. Or Boston or NY, etc. This team is underachieving across the board in spectacular fashion and somehow it's all the fans fault?

Somehow I'm not that surprised. Maybe Williams should worry about doing something with this train wreck instead of whining about the fans. I mean come on, a monster payroll has produced a sub-.500 team in a crappy division...and they can't even beat bottom feeders. What right do we have to complain!!

CLR01
07-14-2011, 09:31 AM
It's your fault. Coaches, management and the players are all good. Kind of glad I have watch less than 9 innings since April.

Harry Potter
07-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Somehow I'm not that surprised. Maybe Williams should worry about doing something with this train wreck instead of whining about the fans. I mean come on, a monster payroll has produced a sub-.500 team in a crappy division...and they can't even beat bottom feeders. What right do we have to complain!!

He's probably more focused on his next "bike ride down Michigan Ave. at 1am"

The Immigrant
07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
He said nothing about the fans. Before you reach for your pitchfork, take a minute to read the ****ing article. It's obvious from the context of his remarks that he's talking about Dunn and Rios and their recent statements to the media, and the fact that they continue to dwell on the negatives.

Fenway, thanks for fanning the flames with your misleading title for the thread.

Fenway
07-14-2011, 09:40 AM
The booing of John Lackey at Fenway on July 4th was harsh even for us - then he comes back strong in his next start and gets a huge ovation.

A lot of baseball people wonder how KW survived the WS minor league scandal - How could he not know something was wrong?

I was just about to say that. Or Boston or NY, etc. This team is underachieving across the board in spectacular fashion and somehow it's all the fans fault?

34 Inch Stick
07-14-2011, 09:41 AM

In reality, the fans are the ones who are performing beyond expectations. The team has been bad from the start yet the Sox are one of the few teams exceeding last year's attendance.

doublem23
07-14-2011, 09:42 AM
In reality, the fans are the ones who are performing beyond expectations. The team has been bad from the start yet the Sox are one of the few teams exceeding last year's attendance.

No we're not

That being said, I read the link and can't quite figure out what KW said that was out of line. He never once mentioned fans, at all, I think was more or less addressing the guys in the locker room, and what he really said was very, very vanilla. There's really no controversy here, at all, that I can find, other than an outsider giving this thread a horrendously misleading title.

SI1020
07-14-2011, 09:47 AM
White Sox fans haven't been that harsh...can you imagine if Dunn was putting these numbers up in Philadelphia??? Or New York or Boston? Chicago is tame by comparison.

Edit: My comments about East Coast fans stand but I posted here naively unaware of the controversy. Doub and some others here have called it right.

CHISOXFAN13
07-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Just read the article and still trying to figure out how Kenny is blaming the fans here.

Chez
07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
He said nothing about the fans. Before you reach for your pitchfork, take a minute to read the ****ing article. It's obvious from the context of his remarks that he's talking about Dunn and Rios and their recent statements to the media, and the fact that they continue to dwell on the negatives.

Fenway, thanks for fanning the flames with your misleading title for the thread.

Exactly! I read the column twice (thinking I had missed it the first time through) and couldn't find anything which remotely could be construed as KW blaming the fans. It's not even close. Fenway (any others), did you bother to read the column?

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I read the link and can't quite figure out what KW said that was out of line. He never once mentioned fans, at all, I think was more or less addressing the guys in the locker room, and what he really said was very, very vanilla. There's really no controversy here, at all, that I can find, other than an outsider giving this thread a horrendously misleading title.

I read the link 2x, I didn't see anything about the fans. I agree with Doub - KW just wants these guys to focus on the 2nd half at this point.

doublem23
07-14-2011, 09:52 AM
He hints if you keep reminding Dunn he stinks - it won't get better.

No he ****ing doesn't, he's telling Dunn to stop worrying about his stats and just help the team win. There's no subtlety to anything on the AP wires for god's sake, they're written so people in the 4th grade can comperhend them.

TheOldRoman
07-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Kind of glad I have watch less than 9 innings since April.http://theyuppiedilemma.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/cool-story-bro.jpg

TheOldRoman
07-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Fens, I like you, but what the ****? He said nothing even remotely pointing the finger at fans. The thread title is horribly misleading.

JermaineDye05
07-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Well there's a ****ing surprise.

34 Inch Stick
07-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Exactly! I read the column twice (thinking I had missed it the first time through) and couldn't find anything which remotely could be construed as KW blaming the fans. It's not even close. Fenway (any others), did you bother to read the column?

No, I didn't. Now I go to penalty box and feel shame.

Fenway
07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
He said if you keep reminding him it will stay in his head...of course he is talking about fans/media

Twins had injuries to blame and now they back in hailing distance.

The only right thing the White Sox have done in 2011 was to wake the Red Sox up...they looked perfect at Fenway where they had not swept since 1959.

The White Sox have promo codes for the NYY series - that is scary - no codes for Boston but that is because of the Red Sox zealots.

You just entered the break by losing 3 of 4 to your most hated rival - and nothing happened.

I think the biggest problem is ownership/management does not understand the White Sox fan base. JR couldn't find Beverly on a map.

doublem23
07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
He said if you keep reminding him it will stay in his head...of course he is talking about fans/media

No he's not.

You keep digging that hole, though.

Fenway
07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
The headline says KW tired of focus on stats and slumps.....how much clearer can he be???

The White Sox with the exception of the WSCR post-game escape the wrath of sports radio. Neither WMVP or WSCR can focus on them all day because the Cubs fans will tune out.

southside rocks
07-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Thank you.

Quentin08
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM

I don't know where you got that from. The Sox are down in attendance more than 46,000 from last year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/current_attendance.shtml

southside rocks
07-14-2011, 10:18 AM
The headline says KW tired of focus on stats and slumps.....how much clearer can he be???

What was clear to me was that KW is tired of the one-string banjo the media is playing on this. He's not DENYING that Rios and Dunn are sucking; he's saying that he wants to look at the baseball to be played and he wants the players to look at what they can do in the games to win them.

I totally agree. If Rios would play heads-up baseball in the field, I would be less disgusted with him because of his anemic batting average. Etc.

But the radio, TV, papers and internet boards just want to get the emotional reactions from the fans, and those reactions right now are anger and frustration. That may be good for ratings but it does nothing to help the situation. That's what I took KW's point to be.

CHISOXFAN13
07-14-2011, 10:24 AM

The only right thing the White Sox have done in 2011 was to wake the Red Sox up...they looked perfect at Fenway where they had not swept since 1959.

The White Sox have promo codes for the NYY series - that is scary - no codes for Boston but that is because of the Red Sox zealots.

You just entered the break by losing 3 of 4 to your most hated rival - and nothing happened.

I think the biggest problem is ownership/management does not understand the White Sox fan base. JR couldn't find Beverly on a map.

Funny. I work in Beverly and have seen JR at various functions in Beverly and Mt. Greenwood in the 11 years I've been here.

Keep throwing darts. Maybe one will stick.

doublem23
07-14-2011, 10:26 AM

Over the break, a couple of guys like Paul Konerko and Carlos Quentin were quoted as saying they still believe in Dunn, Rios, etc. and don't feel like they should be shouldering the blame for this crappy season to date. That is what KW, IMO, is referring to, that even though PK and TCQ had good intentions with their quotes, he wants the focus of the team, from Konerko and Quentin to Dunn and Rios, to be on winning and not on individual stats.

These are things that I don't expect you to know or follow, since you are not one of us, you don't live and die with the Sox like pretty much everyone else on this board, but your stunning arrogance to actually argue with us about our team has really, really rubbed me the wrong way, so I'm politely asking you to drop the subject now.

southside rocks
07-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Funny. I work in Beverly and have seen JR at various functions in Beverly and Mt. Greenwood in the 11 years I've been here.

Hey, did you see Ozzie at Mt. Greenwood Park the other day at his camp? Nice coverage in the Southtown!
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/sports/6476501-524/cronin-guillen-gets-back-to-basics-in-mount-greenwood.html

(I live in Beverly.)

bridgeportcopper
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey, did you see Ozzie at Mt. Greenwood Park the other day at his camp? Nice coverage in the Southtown!
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/sports/6476501-524/cronin-guillen-gets-back-to-basics-in-mount-greenwood.html

(I live in Beverly.)

Don't go patting them on the back too much, that was a Bulls-Sox academy event at the cost of I think $200 a kid for the day. Not exactly philanthropy work if true!

RKMeibalane
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Over the break, a couple of guys like Paul Konerko and Carlos Quentin were quoted as saying they still believe in Dunn, Rios, etc. and don't feel like they should be shouldering the blame for this crappy season to date. That is what KW, IMO, is referring to, that even though PK and TCQ had good intentions with their quotes, he wants the focus of the team, from Konerko and Quentin to Dunn and Rios, to be on winning and not on individual stats.

These are things that I don't expect you to know or follow, since you are not one of us, you don't live and die with the Sox like pretty much everyone else on this board, but your stunning arrogance to actually argue with us about our team has really, really rubbed me the wrong way, so I'm politely asking you to drop the subject now.

Post of the year.

KMcMahon817
07-14-2011, 11:21 AM

+1. Thank you. People around here are so quick to jump down KW's throat. He put together a nice team this year, and certain players haven't met their expectations. This obviously isn't what anybody expected, including KW and all of you.

Edit: After reading through the whole thread, I realized this has pretty much been covered. And Doubs, well said.

kittle42
07-14-2011, 11:47 AM

You don't see us over at SOSH going on about Carl Crawford.

Harry Potter
07-14-2011, 11:51 AM

In true White Sox tradition... :tiphat:

Wow doublem, very well said!

kobo
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM

The White Sox with the exception of the WSCR post-game escape the wrath of sports radio. Neither WMVP or WSCR can focus on them all day because the Cubs fans will tune out.
The hell they do! Every show in town has taken their shots at not only the team, but the organization, JR, KW, and the players. But how long can you beat a dead horse? Fenway, I like reading your posts, but you have no idea what you're talking about here.

soltrain21
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnpwo0q8nU1qa1jyco1_500.jpg

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Read the story and didn't see any connection or insults with the Sox fan base.

None, nada, zippo.

Just certain folks trying to get a rise out of other folks...they LOVE to do that! :rolleyes:

Very well said Double.

Lip

MARTINMVP
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
It's your fault. Coaches, management and the players are all good. Kind of glad I have watch less than 9 innings since April.

Bring this up with Ozzie while he is in a pissed off mood and he probably would tell the fans that if they don't like what he is doing, then stay the **** away from the ball park.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Martin:

Too late, that happened a year or so ago. (no lie)

Lip

Soxfest
07-14-2011, 01:30 PM

I loathe KW and OG Sox need to clean house top to bottom!:angry:

chisoxjtrain
07-14-2011, 01:53 PM

:worship::worship::worship:

CHISOXFAN13
07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Don't go patting them on the back too much, that was a Bulls-Sox academy event at the cost of I think $200 a kid for the day. Not exactly philanthropy work if true!

That it was. But guess who approached the Bulls/Sox Academy officials about doing it? He did so in January and they put it together. It wasn't like he just sat on the side. He was very much running stations at the camp.

Hell, he did three of them when he very easily could have left for Miami during the ASB.

I'm not a fan of Ozzie as a manager, but some people will bitch about anything.

CHISOXFAN13
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM

(I live in Beverly.)

I was out there. I work for your community paper and was doing a story on the event as well.

Very well run event.

captain54
07-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Nothing in the article referring to the fans.... good Lord...

MARTINMVP
07-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Martin:

Too late, that happened a year or so ago. (no lie)

Lip

I vaguely remember that too... didn't it have to do with Bobby Jenks and fans being pissed at him and/or Jenks for blowing too many saves, and for Ozzie relying on him continuously?

southside rocks
07-14-2011, 07:00 PM

I wasn't patting anyone on the back and I didn't say it was philanthropy. I just saw the mention of Beverly/Mt. Greenwood and it brought to mind the skills camp.

Is it mandatory on WSI now that every post contain hate and loathing for White Sox ownership and management?

Oh, and before you can helpfully suggest that if I don't like the threads I oughtn't to read them -- I've already concluded that.

captain54
07-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Is it mandatory on WSI now that every post contain hate and loathing for White Sox ownership and management?

No, it isn't. But if things continue as they are, eventually you'll see that loathing turn to apathy and disinterest once the crowds start to dwindle and the kids go back to school. The leaves will turn, the seasons will change, and as we begin to thaw from another winter, the sun will come up daily and Ozzie, KW and Walker will still be employed by the WS opening day, 2012. ho hum...yawn..

BigKlu59
07-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Fenway you da man... They'd be firebombing his house and he'd have to hide out in some warehouse in Camden, NJ.. These jadrools used to boo HOF'er Mike Schmidt even when he was puttin up 30+ Hrs season after season and flashing the leather on the field..

BK59

SBSoxFan
07-14-2011, 11:31 PM

Agree. I was wondering if I read the same article as the previous posters. :scratch: