PDA

View Full Version : Moronotti Strikes Again

RKMeibalane
07-11-2002, 12:23 PM
Has anybody seen the Sun Times this morning? Mariotti's column, which is about Frank Thomas, is filled with his usual crap. Mariottie made a comment about how Thomas should have expected to be benched because he's hitting .239. What that idiot fails to realize is that Manuel has been playing certain people at every opportunity who are doing much worse (i.e. Clayton, Ritchie).

I wish Mariotti would just worry about the Cubs and stop picking on Thomas. Yes, Thomas can be an ass, but Mariotti is part of the reason Frank sometimes behaves that way.

CubKilla
07-11-2002, 02:06 PM
While I agree with what Konerko said about Thomas, I also see Thomas' legit gripe that you have hit on right here RK. If Manuel is gonna bench Thomas because of his offensive woes, how can he justify playing Clayton everyday? His defense? Gimme a break. And constantly trotting out Todd Ritchie to get lit up like a firecracker on the 4th of July? If JM is gonna bench Thomas for failing to produce, there are 5 or 6 other players on this team that deserve the same treatment. What Moronotti fails to realize is that it is not just Frank. However, for reasons known only to JM, Frank is the only player to be benched for 3 complete games (Clayton's "benching until further notice" was a load of crap because Choice PH in at least 2 games and was a defensive replacement late in games during his aforementioned "benching").

NUCatsFan
07-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
If Manuel is gonna bench Thomas because of his offensive woes, how can he justify playing Clayton everyday? His defense? Gimme a break.

For those who haven't noticed, Royce quietly hit .290 in June and is 7-21 so far in July. Not fan-tastic (think those NBA commercials), but better than respectible. Frank, on the other hand, has had months of .271, .260, and .212. In July, he's 0-12. He is struggling, and he does deserve to be benched.

Kilroy
07-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan

...he does deserve to be benched.

And just what method will Frank use to get out of his slump from the bench??? Jerry should have just told Frank: Listen, you aren't playing this weekend. Don't even pick up a bat. Don't think about hitting, don't think about your stats, just relax until after the break. But instead, we have what we have...

RKMeibalane
07-11-2002, 02:37 PM
As "Hawk" said during the Sunday telecast, everyone will form an opinion about a particular subject. It's one of the things that makes sports, and life in general, interesting.

People can say what they want about Frank, but the fact remains that Jerry Manuel has lost control of this ballclub. When Thomas was upset during the weekend, Manuel should have confronted him and demanded an explanation for his behavior. He also should have been more forthcoming about Frank's playing time. If he had done, this whole situation may have been avoided.

As manager, it is Manuel's job to make sure that everything is running smoothly. When there's a problem, he is the one who should be in the thick of things, trying to find a solution. Instead, he spends the majority of his time buying Royce Clayton some ice cream and playing with old G.I. Joe action figures in his office.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2002, 02:49 PM
:hitless

"Daddy, when are you going to buy me more bananna splits?"

:jerry

"Don't worry, Royce. I'll buy you one when I'm finished with this. Sgt. Slaughter is wounded, and I need to get him back to the base before it's too late."

"Okay, dad."

"Son, do me a favor. Tell Frank he's not starting for the rest of the season."

"OK. Wheeeee!"

Foulke You
07-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

"Daddy, when are you going to buy me more bananna splits?"

"Don't worry, Royce. I'll buy you one when I'm finished with this. Sgt. Slaughter is wounded, and I need to get him back to the base before it's too late."

"Okay, dad."

"Son, do me a favor. Tell Frank he's not starting for the rest of the season."

"OK. Wheeeee!"

Funny stuff. The sad thing is, I'm starting to think this is the only logical explanation for Royce playing every day. Royce must be the illegitimate son of Jerry Manual.

Jerry_Manuel
07-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Funny stuff. The sad thing is, I'm starting to think this is the only logical explanation for Royce playing every day. Royce must be the illegitimate son of Jerry Manual.

Or could it be that Kenny Williams has his hand in the pie?