PDA

View Full Version : Marlins closing upper deck.

LITTLE NELL
07-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Sounds like Wrigley Field back in the 50s and 60s.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6767900/florida-marlins-close-upper-deck-remaining-home-games

Zakath
07-14-2011, 06:45 AM
They could probably close the lower one too. Not like anyone's going to miss it.

C-Dawg
07-14-2011, 07:06 AM
A friend of mine just visited the place in May; they had so many areas closed or otherwise roped off they could hardly walk around much. Tiny crowd.

Hitmen77
07-14-2011, 07:30 AM
They only have 34 home games to go before they move to their new stadium in April.

Fenway
07-14-2011, 08:14 AM
They only have 34 home games to go before they move to their new stadium in April.

I have serious doubts the new stadium will bump attendance that much - and it it doesn't Tampa will not bother with a new park and look at Charlotte, Montreal or Portland.

Hard to believe they have won two more championships at Dolphin Stadium than the Flubs have at Wrigley.

eriqjaffe
07-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Hard to believe they have won two more championships at Dolphin Stadium than the Flubs have at Wrigley. Since WW2, the Marlins have won more pennants at Wrigley than the Cubs. ;)

Hitmen77
07-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Since WW2, the Marlins have won more pennants at Wrigley than the Cubs. ;)

Good. :gulp:

thomas35forever
07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
That's fine. Not like the Marlins are going anywhere anyway.

Soxfest
07-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Seats are empty most times anyway!

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Nell:

As recently as 1983 the Cubs were closing the upper deck at Wrigley due to lack of attendance.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Nell:

As recently as 1983 the Cubs were closing the upper deck at Wrigley due to lack of attendance.

Lip

Wasn't that the year of the Elia rant?
One of the greatest rants ever.

siugrad25
07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Didn't Oakland do something similar a couple years ago?

I remember when I lived down there we would have lower bowl tix, but sometimes would go upstairs because our youngest son was still young. We had the whole section to ourselves so we let him run around.

Obviously I don't like seeing attendance problems, but from a personal standpoint, I loved pulling up close to the park and walking right in.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Nell:

Yes.

Lip

Hitmen77
07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
I have serious doubts the new stadium will bump attendance that much - and it it doesn't Tampa will not bother with a new park and look at Charlotte, Montreal or Portland.

Hard to believe they have won two more championships at Dolphin Stadium than the Flubs have at Wrigley.

We'll find out soon enough. I think they'll get good crowds in 2012 for the inaugural season. But let's see what happens in 2013.

Viva Medias B's
07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
They will draw better at the Orange Bowl site because it will be easier for City of Miami-Dade County residents to get to. However, will people living in Broward County want to travel all the way down I-95 to attend games there?

geofitz
07-16-2011, 08:33 AM
They might get a "bump up" for 2012 because of the new park. But for the past several seasons their marketing focus has been on the MIAMI MARLINS.

IMHO, that will decrease their attendance significantly from North Broward and Palm Beach Counties in the future.

I plan to go for one weekend day game next year. There's absolutely no way I would venture to a 7 PM start game during the week knowing I would have to get to "Little Havana" via I-95 going through Lauderdale and Miami and then exiting westward to the OB. And, I don't know if I'd want to encounter the "Fast and Furious" heading to South Beach weekend nights either.

dickallen15
07-16-2011, 09:54 AM
They only had the upper deck opened on weekends only. It only affects 8 games.

Fenway
07-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Miami Herald update
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/16/2316546/ballpark-about-to-make-a-big-splash.html

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/5707026543_feef45a282_z.jpg

MiamiSpartan
07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
They might get a "bump up" for 2012 because of the new park. But for the past several seasons their marketing focus has been on the MIAMI MARLINS.

IMHO, that will decrease their attendance significantly from North Broward and Palm Beach Counties in the future.

I plan to go for one weekend day game next year. There's absolutely no way I would venture to a 7 PM start game during the week knowing I would have to get to "Little Havana" via I-95 going through Lauderdale and Miami and then exiting westward to the OB. And, I don't know if I'd want to encounter the "Fast and Furious" heading to South Beach weekend nights either.

Broward and Palm Beach people crack me up....!! They had no problem traveling to Little Havana when the Fins were playing there all those years...!!! The Panthers move up there, because supposedly that was where their fan base was, and the Cats went from selling out every game to playing in front of a ton of blue seats.....!
Face reality: Palm Beachers and Browardites just don't show up for anything!!
I just took the VIP tour of the new park a couple of nights ago, and it is going to be one amazing place to watch a game! All the seats are right on top of the action, so it will only be your loss if you decide not to go....

DeadMoney
07-31-2011, 02:45 AM
Miami Herald update
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/16/2316546/ballpark-about-to-make-a-big-splash.html

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/5707026543_feef45a282_z.jpg

That picture doesn't do it justice... That place is HUGE. I've been down in Miami the past 2 months for work, and that place towers over everything in sight.

Hartman
07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
I can't help but think that structure is a gigantic waste of money.

gobears1987
07-31-2011, 03:22 PM
You can call the new ballpark a waste, but 9 years ago the Twins were almost contracted. They built Target Field and their attendance shot up. Now that might not last, but it will only be because the team sucks. New stadiums help attendance so long as the team is winning.

Hartman
08-01-2011, 07:07 AM
You can call the new ballpark a waste, but 9 years ago the Twins were almost contracted. They built Target Field and their attendance shot up. Now that might not last, but it will only be because the team sucks. New stadiums help attendance so long as the team is winning.

Attendance always shoots up, especially for established teams, but that tends to waver off. To say that this gigantic stadium for a team that has had a couple good years is justified is a bit of a stretch.

But hey, who cares if it's a big risk when the risk falls on the taxpayer right!

Hitmen77
08-01-2011, 08:10 AM

The Brewers are a good example of a team that saw attendance shoot up after the new park was opened. Yes, they've been a better team in recent years, but they haven't exactly been a powerhouse. It's not just the 9 games vs. the Cubs either. For them, the retractable roof might help since they don't have to contend with the lousy spring weather we've had the last couple of years killing ticket sales.

Of course, another team that obviously benefited from moving to their new stadium is the Giants. They had a hard time drawing fans at Candlestick and almost moved to Tampa in the 1990s. But AT&T Park has been wildly successful even before the World Series win.

But, not every team has seen a fancy new retro park translate to sustained success. The Pirates haven drawn well at their jewel of a ballpark. They're battling for 1st place now, so that will boost ticket sales. The Nationals aren't drawing well at Nationals Park. Even the Orioles playing at famous Camden Yards have seen attendance plummet in recent years thanks to year after year of bad teams. The Indians had 455 straight sellouts when Jacobs Field was new and the team was loaded with all-stars. Once the winning stopped and the economy tanked, they dropped to dead last in attendance.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2011, 08:55 AM
You can call the new ballpark a waste, but 9 years ago the Twins were almost contracted. They built Target Field and their attendance shot up. Now that might not last, but it will only be because the team sucks. New stadiums help attendance so long as the team is winning.I am not saying this place will be packed for the next 10+ years and turn the Marlins into a contender, but the difference between this park and JoePlayer SunShark is like night and day.

Honestly, who the hell would want to drive 40 minutes into the middle of nowhere to sit in horrible, crotch-like weather, withstand a daily torrential downpour and hurt your neck from watching the game because you are in a football stadium and the seats aren't properly angled? That is something you do when there is winning baseball, but it isn't an "event" like baseball games need to be to draw in casual fans. The new park is easy to get to in a downtown area and amidst a good number of Hispanics, who the Marlins view as a huge possible market. Also, it has to retractable roof, so you know before buying tickets that you won't be rained out, or even worse, have to sit through a 100 degree day with 100% humidity.

While this park won't turn the Marlins into the Phillies, it may very well turn them into the Astros, who are on their way to 100 losses yet drawing over 9,000 more people per game than the Marlins. The difference between drawing 25,000 with a mediocre team and 17,000 is huge.