PDA

View Full Version : Coming in 2013 - THIRTY interleague games a season???

Fenway
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2011/07/13/sides_playing_well_together/?sudsredirect=true

It seems Arizona has offered to move to the AL - and with 15 teams in each league - we could be looking at up to 30 interleague games a season.

Yeesh

g0g0
07-13-2011, 01:59 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2011/07/13/sides_playing_well_together/?sudsredirect=true

It seems Arizona has offered to move to the AL - and with 15 teams in each league - we could be looking at up to 30 interleague games a season.

Yeesh

Interleague's novelty has already worn off for me. It used to be you wanted to see match-ups that you hadn't seen forever, but now every team seems to play each other and it's not special. I loved seeing the NL/AL champs meet in the WS not having played each other. Made for a more exciting series.

34 Inch Stick
07-13-2011, 02:31 PM
If it expands, I would love to have the Brewers added as an opponent every year.

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Interleague's novelty has already worn off for me. It used to be you wanted to see match-ups that you hadn't seen forever, but now every team seems to play each other and it's not special. I loved seeing the NL/AL champs meet in the WS not having played each other. Made for a more exciting series.

I don't really mind having more interleague, I do like having balanced leagues (though I can't really explain why). I'm not exactly excited facing the AL Central 19x a year.

AZChiSoxFan
07-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I would love to see AZ move to the American league as it would mean I would get to the see the Sox play every year!

doublem23
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Really, at this point, they need to either just integrate the leagues with one another or just go back to the AL-only/NL-only format. What is the point of playing nearly 20% of your games in interleague?

Oh, and bring the ****ing DH to the NL already, for god's sake. It's 2011.

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Really, at this point, they need to either just integrate the leagues with one another or just go back to the AL-only/NL-only format. What is the point of playing nearly 20% of your games in interleague?

Oh, and bring the ****ing DH to the NL already, for god's sake. It's 2011 .

I actually like having the DH in one league and not in the other. It provides a difference between the leagues that I enjoy that no other sport has.

While I would like to see the NHL and NBA getting rid of conferences altogether, I do enjoy having that difference in baseball.

Fenway
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/7/13/2274319/mlb-realignment-for-reals

Teams would play another league division once every 3 years - so the Sox would only face the Cubs every third year.

72 division games - 60 outside division - 30 interleague - 162

Bobby Thigpen
07-13-2011, 05:00 PM

Teams would play another league division once every 3 years - so the Sox would only face the Cubs every third year.

Wasn't that how interleague was supposed to work this time around,

Max Power
07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
The way interleague play is done now is ridiculously stupid. I'll admit to being nostalgic for the pre-interleague days, but if we're going to have interleague play- and, I assume, we are- then MLB should go all the way with it. Fifteen teams in each league, all teams play one series with all teams from the opposite league with home team alternating every year.

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 05:26 PM
The way interleague play is done now is ridiculously stupid. I'll admit to being nostalgic for the pre-interleague days, but if we're going to have interleague play- and, I assume, we are- then MLB should go all the way with it. Fifteen teams in each league, all teams play one series with all teams from the opposite league with home team alternating every year.

That would be 45 games a year, right? So only 15 more games than the proposed 30.

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Why would baseball do that? The Cubs-Sox rivalry is one of the few inter-league matches that people get excited about.

Streets
07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Why would baseball do that? The Cubs-Sox rivalry is one of the few inter-league matches that people get excited about.

I'm over it, I'd rather see them play the Cardinals for a change..or the Brewers..some other nearby team to make for a nice road trip.

Foulke You
07-13-2011, 05:45 PM

I doubt very much that the Sox/Cubs, Yanks/Mets, Dodgers/Angels, A's/Giants matchups are going anywhere even if they do rotate divisions.

kittle42
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM

There were few people all that excited about this season on either side of town.

Soxfest
07-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Houston will go to AL not Arizona.

delben91
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Link? Or just your opinion?

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I also see where Selig thinks that this will be the last year with the current playoff alignment. I really wish there was someway he would just go away before he ****s up the game more. We don't really need baseball in December.

DumpJerry
07-13-2011, 05:58 PM

There were few people all that excited about this season on either side of town.
I do backflips over the series every year. I sell my tickets for a very nice profit. I'll miss that if this mean only every three years I get rich.....:whiner:

russ99
07-13-2011, 09:32 PM

Supposedly Arizona was told they won't be switching leagues, and people picked up the notion that Houston would.

If Jim Crane sits still for a move to the AL west being a condition of the sale of the Astros, the franchise will end up relocating.

It's going to take a lot of work to get people interested in Astros baseball again, and 50+ west coast late night road games, your home stadium being invaded by Yankee and Red Sox fans 8-12 times a year, loss of rivalries with the Cards, Reds and Cubs for a fake one with the Rangers and selling out a 75 year+ tradition of being a NL city first with the Buffs (Cardinals farm team) then the Colts and Astros from the get go by new ownership is not the way to do it.

But I guess when would Bud ever care what the fans want...

sox1970
07-13-2011, 09:37 PM
I also see where Selig thinks that this will be the last year with the current playoff alignment. I really wish there was someway he would just go away before he ****s up the game more. We don't really need baseball in December.

I guarantee we'll never see a scheduled November World Series game no matter what. Nobody wants that, and it won't happen again.

dickallen15
07-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Supposedly Arizona was told they won't be switching leagues, and people picked up the notion that Houston would.

If Jim Crane sits still for a move to the AL west being a condition of the sale of the Astros, the franchise will end up relocating.

But I guess when would Bud ever care what the fans want...

Bud is giving the fans what they want. A better chance for their team to make the playoffs.

dickallen15
07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
They would probably swap out a team in the division for the Cubs like they do now.

Regardless of what people determine is a lack of interest in the Cubs Sox games, I bet JR's gross was as high or higher those games vs. any other game on the schedule.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Actually Dick, "Bud" is guaranteeing that the Yankees and Red Sox NEVER miss the postseason again short of a plane crash.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
07-14-2011, 02:02 PM
I guarantee we'll never see a scheduled November World Series game no matter what. Nobody wants that, and it won't happen again.

This post is just not dealing in reality. With the possible exception of ONE WS game on Nov 1, MLB has repeatedly stated (and followed with) that they don't want the WS played in Nov.

Another poster in this thread said Dec. :rolleyes:

The union has already stated that players want fewer days off in the postseason, so that it more closely resembles the regular season. Eliminating all the off days in the postseason will allow for an extra round of playoffs and for the WS to still be played in Oct.

I swear that if Selig said the sky is blue, most of the people here at WSI would rip him and say it's not blue. It's just become fashionable to do so.

He got ripped for adding the wild card and yet that has proven to be wildly successful. I suspect that many have forgotten just how boring baseball used to be in Sep for about 80% of the teams.

sox1970
07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
This post is just not dealing in reality. With the possible exception of ONE WS game on Nov 1, MLB has repeatedly stated (and followed with) that they don't want the WS played in Nov.

Another poster in this thread said Dec. :rolleyes:

The union has already stated that players want fewer days off in the postseason, so that it more closely resembles the regular season. Eliminating all the off days in the postseason will allow for an extra round of playoffs and for the WS to still be played in Oct.

I swear that if Selig said the sky is blue, most of the people here at WSI would rip him and say it's not blue. It's just become fashionable to do so.

He got ripped for adding the wild card and yet that has proven to be wildly successful. I suspect that many have forgotten just how boring baseball used to be in Sep for about 80% of the teams.

So we agree? :scratch:

I said the World Series won't go into November, and it won't.