PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MLB Draft: Power Ranking the 50 Worst Draft Busts of All-Time

DrCrawdad
07-13-2011, 08:09 AM
And the winner is ...

http://bp0.blogger.com/__t6oFjHvLm0/Rz00NbJQQlI/AAAAAAAAABM/0OHggBT1jJE/s320/8413610101.jpg
Kurt Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Brown). With the #5 pick in the 1985 draft & the Sox picked Brown. Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/712192-2011-mlb-draft-power-ranking-the-50-worst-draft-busts-of-all-time/page/52) (whomever that is) says that this was the biggest bust draft pick of all time. CONGRATULATIONS CHICAGO WHITE SOX!

doublem23
07-13-2011, 08:54 AM
:facepalm:

Bleacher Report... God damn it.

Anyways, uh, Brien Taylor? Danny Goodwin?

Boondock Saint
07-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Bleacher Report... God damn it.

That says it all.

Over By There
07-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Well if Bleacher Report said it, it must be true.

TomBradley72
07-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Well- he was picked as part of this sequence-

BJ Surhoff
Will Clark
Bobby Witt
Barry Larkin
Kurt Brown
Barry Bonds
Also taken ahead of David Justice, Randy Johnson, Rafael Palmeiro.

Never hit higher than .269 or had more than 6 HRs in the minors.

A. Cavatica
07-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Does it really matter who said it?

He might well be the worst draft bust of all time. Ugh. Not that we haven't had lots of other busts in our ledger.

DrCrawdad
07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Does it really matter who said it?

He might well be the worst draft bust of all time. Ugh. Not that we haven't had lots of other busts in our ledger.

That's what I'm saying. I can't say what the viewpoint of that pick was at the time, for all I know the Sox pick was respected, but the results of that pick? Terrible waste.

Who was the GM for that pick? Was it The Hawk?

Lip Man 1
07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
I think that was Roland (at least in theory) I'll call him and check on this.

Lip

gosox41
07-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Well- he was picked as part of this sequence-
BJ Surhoff
Will Clark
Bobby Witt
Barry Larkin
Kurt Brown
Barry Bonds
Also taken ahead of David Justice, Randy Johnson, Rafael Palmeiro.

Never hit higher than .269 or had more than 6 HRs in the minors.

Ahh yes, the sweet incompetence of the mid to late '80's.

Can you imagine if the Sox had a yound Bonds and Frank in the line up in the early '90's?

Of course it was the mid 80's when we gave up Doug Drabek and Bobby Bonilla.

Bob

TDog
07-15-2011, 02:59 AM
The year in the mid-to-late '80s that the White Sox drafted Frank Thomas, the Phillies drafted Jeff Jackson from Simeon High School in Chicago with the fourth overall pick. Jackson never made it to the majors. Thomas was drafted seventh, but the sixth and eighth picks were outfielders (drafted by the Cardinals and Cubs respectively) who never made it to the majors.

Every team has multiple picks that are equally bad. Brown probaby isn't the worst pick the White Sox ever made, if you want to all the way back to the '60s. Brown isn't even the highest White Sox pick not to make it to the majors.

balke
07-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Its good not to have the steroid association - but it does make me cringe a little. Bonds is statistically the best player ever. Most hated - and not clean... buut the best.

PalehosePlanet
07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Ahh yes, the sweet incompetence of the mid to late '80's.

Can you imagine if the Sox had a yound Bonds and Frank in the line up in the early '90's?

Of course it was the mid 80's when we gave up Doug Drabek and Bobby Bonilla.

Bob

Hawk actually first made a genius move by grabbing Bonilla from The Pirates as a rule V pick before the '86 season started. The Pirates didn't think anyone would claim him because Bonilla had broken his leg in the minors the year before and didn't play much.

Throughout the season they kept hounding Hawk to get him back, and Hawk took a chance on an extremely talented but unlucky right hander by the name of Jose DeLeon. Jose was one of those great stuff guys that never quite put it together. He was traded to The Cardinals a couple years later by Larry Himes for a minor league CF'er by the name of Lance Johnson.

havelj
07-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Can you imagine if the Sox had a young Bonds and Frank in the line up in the early '90's?

If the Sox had drafted Bonds in 1985, they would not have been able to draft Frank Thomas in 1989. Bonds was in his 3rd season in 1988 and I'm sure if he was on the Sox, he would have made them win a few more than the 69 wins they ended up with resulting in them picking lower than 7th in the 1989 draft.

doublem23
07-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Its good not to have the steroid association - but it does make me cringe a little. Bonds is statistically the best player ever. Most hated - and not clean... buut the best.

Even before he hit the juice, he might have been one of the best 5 hitters in baseball history.

DumpJerry
07-16-2011, 08:50 PM
And the winner is ...

http://bp0.blogger.com/__t6oFjHvLm0/Rz00NbJQQlI/AAAAAAAAABM/0OHggBT1jJE/s320/8413610101.jpg
Kurt Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Brown). With the #5 pick in the 1985 draft & the Sox picked Brown. Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/712192-2011-mlb-draft-power-ranking-the-50-worst-draft-busts-of-all-time/page/52) (whomever that is) says that this was the biggest bust draft pick of all time. CONGRATULATIONS CHICAGO WHITE SOX!
Major fail as the worse pick. In 1965, the Sox drafted a catcher in the first round (who is a distant cousin of a WSIer) who never made it to the majors. The Reds drafted, in the second round that year, some kid named Johnny Bench.

Reminds me of how Joe Montana was picked up in the third round. The Bears, with their keen eye for Quarterback talent, passed on him three times.

gosox41
07-16-2011, 10:19 PM
If the Sox had drafted Bonds in 1985, they would not have been able to draft Frank Thomas in 1989. Bonds was in his 3rd season in 1988 and I'm sure if he was on the Sox, he would have made them win a few more than the 69 wins they ended up with resulting in them picking lower than 7th in the 1989 draft.

True. I'm just living in a fantasy world.

Besides if the Sox had drafted him, Hawk would probably have traded him for Ron Hassey or Jose DeLeon.

Bob