PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and Stone

shingo10
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I am not trying to turn this into a Hawk bashing thread because I actually like the guy. I think he's interesting and entertaining to listen to. BUT the chemistry between him and Steve Stone is AWFUL. It really is becoming unbearable to listen to.

They ALWAYS talk over each other. It's as if they are trying to get under each others skin. Plus the overall chemistry is just brutal. Stone will bring up some analysis and then Hawk will ignore it. Then Hawk will talk about a situation in the game that he thinks is important and Stone will ignore it.

Just brutal.

The games where Wimpy was there were so refreshing and entertaining. Wish they would bring him back to be Hawk's partner.

Rocky Soprano
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
The games where Wimpy was there were so refreshing and entertaining. Wish they would bring him back to be Hawk's partner.

I would get rid of Hawk and make Stone the play by play guy.

DumpJerry
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
If Hawk was in the same room I'm in, I would ignore him, too.

I can take only so much talk about Carl Yaz at one time.

kittle42
07-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Do you think when Hawk golfs, and he's on a Par 5, 500-yards-to-the-cup hole, he still screams, "stretch" after his drives?

Rocky Soprano
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Do you think when Hawk golfs, and he's on a Par 5, 500-yards-to-the-cup hole, he still screams, "stretch" after his drives?

POTW!

Well done!
:D:

doublem23
07-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Keep Stone, lose Hawk

SI1020
07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
The games where Wimpy was there were so refreshing and entertaining. Wish they would bring him back to be Hawk's partner. I also enjoyed the Hawk and Wimpy duo. Like Harry and Jimmy they made me turn the TV on and watch the game despite some subpar Sox baseball on the field. I actually looked forward to the games no matter where the Sox were in the standings.

tstrike2000
07-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Yes, and on bad tee shots it's, "Right size, wrong shape."

all*star quentin
07-12-2011, 03:44 PM
I liked Stone until the Sox/Cub Crosstown Classic this year. He is just another pitchman for the Cubs.

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Hawk+DJ>Hawk+Stone.

If I recall, on 2009/2010 Hawk would say "YES!" TWICE after a homer because Stone would not say that like DJ did so Hawk had to make up for it.

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I liked Stone until the Sox/Cub Crosstown Classic this year. He is just another pitchman for the Cubs.

I thought he hated the Cubs and that is why he was let go?

all*star quentin
07-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I thought he hated the Cubs and that is why he was let go?

That's news to me :scratch:

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Steve Stone is one of my favorite analysts in the game. I love listening to him, but I can not stand Hawk. When the Sox are winning and playing well he is tolerable, but this year has been excuse after excuse after excuse.

kittle42
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Now that's just absurd. Examples?

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Yes because he would say bad things about their play. He was not wrong but you know how the Cubs are.

all*star quentin
07-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes because he would say bad things about their play. He was not wrong but you know how the Cubs are.

I found this at Wiki., Stone resigned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Stone_(baseball)

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Okay thanks. I am still sure it was due to pressure of what he was saying about the team.

Paulwny
07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Steve Stone is one of my favorite analysts in the game. I love listening to him, but I can not stand Hawk. When the Sox are winning and playing well he is tolerable, but this year has been excuse after excuse after excuse.

I agree.
Stone is great as an analyst.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm probably in the minority. But, I'd can Stone Pony much sooner than Hawk, who is still my favorite baseball broadcaster ever. When I watch Sox games, I feel as if I'm having a true fan sitting there with me and talking about the game and reminiscing about the "good old days." I love his homer style, and to me, Hawk IS White Sox baseball.

soltrain21
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm probably in the minority. But, I'd can Stone Pony much sooner than Hawk, who is still my favorite baseball broadcaster ever. When I watch Sox games, I feel as if I'm having a true fan sitting there with me and talking about the game and reminiscing about the "good old days." I love his homer style, and to me, Hawk IS White Sox baseball.

Oh, so that explains why they are so ****ty.

tstrike2000
07-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree.
Stone is great as an analyst.

I think Stone's one of the best color guys out there. Because I've grown up with Hawk, I've always appreciated his "Hawkisms." However, in the last several years he's just gotten even more full of himself. His ego's writing checks his body can't cash.

VMSNS
07-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I used to find Hawk tolerable, but at this point, I just can't stand listening to him anymore. He's unbearable.

On the other hand, I love listening to Stone. It's funny though, because it almost feels as if he's being wasted when he's paired up with Hawk. You can tell he tones down his analysis on-air because most of the time, Hawk either ignores it, contests it, or completely misinterprets it. If you ever listen to Stone on the radio, he's WAY better.

BTW, I've never viewed Stone as a Cubbie mouthpiece. Most of the time, he's very critical of that team, and he even resigned because he was criticizing their play too much and the players didn't like that. Also, I believe he's said on the radio one time that it's part of his contract to cover both Chicago teams, not just the Sox.

Noneck
07-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Also, I believe he's said on the radio one time that it's part of his contract to cover both Chicago teams, not just the Sox.

Stone is 670 baseballs analyst and took this position after Piersall had it. He was better doing this job before he started announcing for the Sox. He rings around the rosie on a lot of tough questions now, probably because of his direct affiliation with the Sox now. He knows his stuff and does know a lot of people around baseball in all different positions. I think he would be more insightful and critcal of whats going on the field if he wasnt announcing with the carnival barker. Farmer and Stone were much better together.

doublem23
07-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I used to find Hawk tolerable, but at this point, I just can't stand listening to him anymore. He's unbearable.

Yeah, I used to like Hawk a lot, too, but he's either gotten atrociously terrible as the years have worn on, or I've just noticed now that I watch 100-120 Sox games per year on TV. When I was growing up, we didn't have cable, so I only caught the Sox on the off occasion they were on WGN, so actually watching a game was kind of a treat. We got cable when I was about 15 or 16 (so that's 11-12 years ago) and I have noticed a sharp decline in that time.

Soxfest
07-12-2011, 06:41 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Stone_(baseball)
Stone at least has ball unlike most of Sox brass!

TaylorStSox
07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Honestly, the Sox could just fire Hawk and play samples of his tired catchphrases during the entire broadcast and nobody would notice. He's absolutely atrocious and I'm finding it harder and harder to watch games. His passive aggression towards both Stone and DJ is unbearable. If we lose Stone, who has a wealth of knowledge and original perspectives, I'll be highly disappointed.

WSox597
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Harrelson hasn't been any good to listen to since he was partnered up with Don Drysdale.

He's the worst part about watching the Sox on tv. The guy's an embarrassment.

I try to tune him out while watching a game, but his schtick just bleeds through. Enough already. Give someone else a chance.

What is he? Almost 70? You'd think he would want to retire and play more golf or something.

Do we really need a guy talking about somebody's sphincter muscle during broadcasts? It's embarrassing. I picture some poor parent being asked to explain this to a young child.

He used to be funny, in an "Animal House" sort of way, but it gets old quick.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Is/was there any tension between Hawk and Ed Farmer? The Score seems to hint that there is something between them.

Nelfox02
07-12-2011, 08:49 PM
While Ed and DJ are far from perfect, I have found myself enjoying the games much more (well, as much as you can enjoy most sox games) when I listen to the radio

I am a bit biased since I prefer baseball on the radio to TV to start (only major sport I feel that way on) but I find it refreshing that Ed and DJ are not constantly making excuses for this team of lamenting bull**** like "we gave them 4 outs and now yada yada" recently they have called the sox out on a variety of topics, and have honestly discusssed not only when the sox fail but why, as well as pointing out what their opponents are doing that is leading to success against the sox night in night out.

I generally enjoy stone and his comments, but I think he and Hawk are a rough marriage, and while Hawk's enthusiasm can be enjoyable sometimes, his negatives now far outweight that IMO

soxnut1018
07-12-2011, 08:57 PM
If Hawk had been replaced by a Hawkism soundboard before the season, I don't think anyone would've noticed.

Zakath
07-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Stoney's talent would be wasted as the play-by-play guy.

He's too good of a color analyst (I'd say the best in the game) to be stuck doing play-by-play. When he's had to do play-by-play, it sounds labored.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Stone is not a PBP guy. He's probably the best analyst out there, though. It's too bad they can't put Hawk out to pasture and hire a professional PBP guy to pair with stone. On the radio, Farmer is an outstanding analyst, but he is mediocre at PBP. DJ is a pretty good analyst because he understands and can explain hitting, but as ex-pitchers Stone and Farmer have an innate understanding of pitching and can explain it well, and therefore are superior analysts.

It would be nice if they could start to ease out Hawk. Maybe have him do only home games, or just a few innings each game, not unlike the Twins did with Herb Carneal toward the end of his career. Perhaps he also could spent an inning or two in the stands, doing an even more personable version of his unique PBP, while interacting with fans.

Hypothetically, would Dave Wills ever consider leaving the Rays to take the Sox TV PBP job, if it were available and offered to him?

MARTINMVP
07-12-2011, 09:47 PM

You obviously don't listen to WSCR The Score. It seems Stone still sometimes has an axe to grind with Jim Hendry and the Cubs still. How you get the impression he is a Cubs apologist is beyond me.

MARTINMVP
07-12-2011, 09:54 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Stone_(baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Stone_%28baseball))

At the time this happened, I was still bleeding Cubbie blue.

It was the 2004 season that seemingly disgusted me to the point that I was pretty much done with the Cubs - the situation with Steve Stone (and to a lesser extent Chip Caray) was the final straw for me.

The 2004 Cubs were still within reach of the NL wildcard with a week or two to go in the season. And instead of thinking about winning baseball games, which they desperately needed to do, their players were worried about Steve Stone being too critical of them during the game. Dusty Baker, that little cock, if he wasn't encouraging it, he had no problem with his players harassing Stone and Caray on the team plane, or having one of the pitchers calling Stone up during a game.

My memory is a little foggy now, but the season ended and there was tension between Stone and team management. Then, things supposedly were OK and Stone was coming back. Then a few days later, Stone resigned. Chip Caray was either not brought back or he too resigned - I don't remember which.

I was already off the Sosa bandwagon by the start of 2004 since it was he who supposedly told Cubs management not to bring back Kenny Lofton. On top of that with the cork, his locker room antics, I was amazed at how Sosa still had supporters.

My whole Cub thing in 2004 eventually transitioned me to not following sports at all. Hell, in 2008, I had NO clue that the Cubs were one of the best teams in baseball. I didn't even watch one playoff game.

MARTINMVP
07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
I think Stone's one of the best color guys out there. Because I've grown up with Hawk, I've always appreciated his "Hawkisms." However, in the last several years he's just gotten even more full of himself. His ego's writing checks his body can't cash.

When I began watching Sox games in 2009, I liked Hawk. I thought he was unique and appreciated the fact that he wasn't a lame drone. I always liked Stone, obviously from my days of a Cubs fan.

In 2011, I can't stomach Hawk. His repeated catch phrases, the pouting, the dagumnit, etc. are too much. I found myself listening to Len and Bob during Cubs/Sox just because I couldn't take Hawk anymore.

MARTINMVP
07-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Hypothetically, would Dave Wills ever consider leaving the Rays to take the Sox TV PBP job, if it were available and offered to him?

Love Dave Wills. I remember him back in the days of his old AM 1000 sports show. Someone on here who seems to have some connection to the Sox once wrote that JR didn't like Wills and would not hire him. I sincerely hope that info is wrong.

dwalteroo
07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Honestly, the Sox could just fire Hawk and play samples of his tired catchphrases during the entire broadcast and nobody would notice. He's absolutely atrocious and I'm finding it harder and harder to watch games. His passive aggression towards both Stone and DJ is unbearable. If we lose Stone, who has a wealth of knowledge and original perspectives, I'll be highly disappointed.

+1

I love Hawk the person, but he has to bring more to the discussion than just his "57 years in major league baseball" and how [insert anything here] "is the BEST HE HAS EVER SEEN."

shingo10
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
I think BOTH of them are at fault here.

The constant talking over each other is just ridiculous.

I guess 2 people with large egos just don't mesh well in the booth.

all*star quentin
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
You obviously don't listen to WSCR The Score. It seems Stone still sometimes has an axe to grind with Jim Hendry and the Cubs still. How you get the impression he is a Cubs apologist is beyond me.

I do not. He was singing their (cub) praises during the Crosstown Cup. I know what I heard. Maybe he wants his old job back. :scratch:

One more thing, Stone is going to be on Fox after the ASG tonight. I'll listen to him then.

PeteWard
07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Harrelson is one of the worst announcers ever. If he were announcing for any other team and pulled the same stuff, I don't think anyone on this board would like him. I loathed his macho Texas crap since Day 1 when he was the partner of the egregious Don Drysdale. I don't mind a bit of homerism, but his act was tired even in the 80s.

SI1020
07-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Harrelson is one of the worst announcers ever. If he were announcing for any other team and pulled the same stuff, I don't think anyone on this board would like him. I loathed his macho Texas crap since Day 1 when he was the partner of the egregious Don Drysdale. I don't mind a bit of homerism, but his act was tired even in the 80s. Macho Texas crap?

DumpJerry
07-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I ignore Hawk. He sits there and babbles on and on about the most boring **** in his life. For some reason, he never talks about his experience as the GM for the Sox. Wonder why........

Hawk is the only person associated with the Sox I cannot defend with Cub fans. Even justifying Adam Dunn and Alex Rios is easier than justifying Hawk.

PeteWard
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Macho Texas crap?

I guess I meant cowboy. Even though he is from S Carolina, to me, he just oozes that mentality.It's primitive male ego + substandard English. e.g. "strap it down"

kittle42
07-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I do not. He was singing their (cub) praises during the Crosstown Cup. I know what I heard. Maybe he wants his old job back. :scratch:

I have a feeling if he was "praising" any other team, except maybe the Twins, you wouldn't have had a problem with it.

JB98
07-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Stone is a bit more candid, I think, when he appears on WSCR. I've heard him just slaughter the Cubs for the inept fools they are, and his criticism of the Sox is more pointed when he's away from Hawk.

In the booth, I think he tones down his comments to keep the peace with Hawk.

TaylorStSox
07-12-2011, 11:25 PM

One more thing, Stone is going to be on Fox after the ASG tonight. I'll listen to him then.

I'd rather listen to Stone compliment the Cubs than Hawk fellate our true divisional rival, Twins. It's hard enough watching them kick the crap out of us. I had to go ahead and turn the 4th game of the series off. It's one thing to give the Twins their props. It's another thing to constantly obsess over them. I'd rather listen to inane Frank Howard stories...Oh wait.

Zisk77
07-12-2011, 11:42 PM
I guess I meant cowboy. Even though he is from S Carolina, to me, he just oozes that mentality.It's primitive male ego + substandard English. e.g. "strap it down"

Try Georgia, Savannah i believe.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Martin:

I'm the one who wrote that about JR and Dave. It is true. Others in the front office liked Dave and pitched him to the owner but for some reason they could never convince him Dave was 'the guy...'

Dave wasn't going to wait around just doing the pre and post game shows so he took the opportunity when the Rays offered it.

Would he return? I'm sure he'd think about it seriously but not to just do a few innings working around either Hawk or Ed. He'd have to be the main announcer to even give it a second thought.

Lip

balke
07-13-2011, 12:32 AM

I think Hawk is intimidated by Stone. Everytime he says anything that's not directly related to the field he either interrupts Stone or contradicts him.

Stone gets a lot of digs and rips on everyone - wouldn't be surprised if he's said something to upset Hawk on occasion. Also, Stone doesn't just roll over if he disagrees with something Hawk says. It really seems to get under Hawk's skin too.

Lamp81
07-13-2011, 12:37 AM
I would like to see Stone go back to radio. That was the only year that Farmio was tolerable as a PBP man. DJ needs to go.

I also loved the Hawk and Wimpy reunion. Would love to see that pairing back on the TV.

Parrothead
07-13-2011, 12:40 AM

I can take only so much talk about Carl Yaz at one time.

Keep Stone, lose Hawk

To everyone above....:thumbsup:

Hawk is unlistenable. Please White Sox put him out to pasture with Yaz.

PeteWard
07-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Try Georgia, Savannah i believe.

Woodruff, South Carolina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Harrelson

RKMeibalane
07-13-2011, 12:57 AM
I would like to see Stone go back to radio. That was the only year that Farmio was tolerable as a PBP man. DJ needs to go.

I also loved the Hawk and Wimpy reunion. Would love to see that pairing back on the TV.

Sadly, we'll never see Hawk and Wimpy together again. Hawk hated Wimpy, and was a huge reason why he was fired after the '99 season.

Nellie_Fox
07-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Hawk is the only person associated with the Sox I cannot defend with Cub fans. Even justifying Adam Dunn and Alex Rios is easier than justifying Hawk.I don't defend anything to Cubs fans. I honestly don't care if they like Hawk or not. I tell the same thing to Twins fans here in Minnesota; they don't like him either.

Sadly, we'll never see Hawk and Wimpy together again. Hawk hated Wimpy, and was a huge reason why he was fired after the '99 season.Do you have evidence of this, or are you just repeating crap you've read on the internet? They sounded like they were having a great time together earlier this year. If Hawk hates Wimpy and got him fired, why did he agree to have him back for a few games this year?

Nelson Foxtrot
07-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Even though Hawk always tells the same stories, at least he isn't mixing them up yet. That could be disastrous:

"Ya know, Stone Pony, the day I invented the batting glove, I shot a 76 in a foursome that morning with Yaz, Al Dark, and Dick Williams on the course at the George Brett Country Club - which was built from the ground up by Whitey Herzog. After I shot my 72, I gawn. Stuck a pinch o' chaw in my cheek, hopped on Charlie O the mule and rode to Municipal Stadium. It was my day off, but my manager Matt Abattacola, who is the closest thing I ever saw to Catfish Hunter, said 'Hawk, you're pinch-hitting.' My hands were sore from shooting a 67 that morning, so I grabbed my golf gloves from outta Carlos Gomez's sphincter, and headed to the plate. I hunkered up, grabbed some gas, snorted a duck, and sent a big White Sox welcome to all the Charter Cable viewers watching on Channel 43 in Algonquin. The first pitch from 'Sudden' Sam McDowell, a handsome young man, was a hangin' bull fanny, a fiery Latin one. I kept my head straight, didn't let my frozen two-hopper fly open, and I hit it with a bag of rice. It was right size, right shape, right color, and a hang wif 'em for a fan in the bleachers. Once I got back to the dugout, Don Drsydale donated a can of corn to Earl Weaver in loving memory of Frank Howard, and said 'From now on, Hawk, I'm wearing batting gloves too.' I loooove stories. Mercy!"

I loved him back in the 1990s, but have found him unbearable in recent years, mostly due to the umpire complaints and Twins praise. One interesting thing I discovered looking through old newspaper articles was that there was a push by some at WGN to hire Hawk to handle radio color commentary for the Cubs after he was fired as Sox GM. Vince Lloyd had retired, and they were trying to force Lou Boudreau out as well in the hopes of getting younger. Boudreau did stick around for one more season, however, followed by Dave Nelson for two seasons, then Ron Santo. Perhaps Hawk could have become a Cubs icon, made for some interesting moments with Harry Caray, and maybe Santo would have remained at home with less HOF support than Ken Boyer. I wonder who would be the Sox tv announcer today.

PeteWard
07-13-2011, 06:57 AM
E

I loved him back in the 1990s, but have found him unbearable in recent years, mostly due to the umpire complaints and Twins praise. One interesting thing I discovered looking through old newspaper articles was that there was a push by some at WGN to hire Hawk to handle radio color commentary for the Cubs after he was fired as Sox GM. Vince Lloyd had retired, and they were trying to force Lou Boudreau out as well in the hopes of getting younger. Boudreau did stick around for one more season, however, followed by Dave Nelson for two seasons, then Ron Santo. Perhaps Hawk could have become a Cubs icon, made for some interesting moments with Harry Caray, and maybe Santo would have remained at home with less HOF support than Ken Boyer. I wonder who would be the Sox tv announcer today.

He would have fit in well with this list of the lost: Jack Outhouse, Jim West, Vince Lloyd, Lou Boudreau, Milo Hamilton and Ken Harrelson. Perfect.

DumpJerry
07-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Hawk has been a lost soul since Carlos Gomez left the American League.

SI1020
07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Woodruff, South Carolina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Harrelson That's where he was born. His family moved to Savannah when he was in the 5th grade and he attended high school there. It's a lovely town with a lot of history. You should go there if you get the chance. Try Texas too. I've found most cowboys to be really great guys.

tstrike2000
07-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Hawk has been a lost soul since Carlos Gomez left the American League.

Hawk was indeed mesmerized by the fact he wore a Twinkie uniform, his dangling jewelry, and how Gomez would unnecessarily dive for pop ups.

akingamongstmen
07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
We are spoiled rotten and most Sox fans don't know it. I've lived in a few cities and watched a lot of local broadcasts when I travel for work, and most team's broadcast teams have zero personality and suck the life out of the game.

I love that Hawk tells the same stories over and over again. I love that he gets a little grumpy when the Sox lose. He's a fan, and he's old. What do you expect? He's been the voice of the Sox since I started watching baseball and I will be sad when he is gone.

Stone is probably the best color analyst that I've heard. His analysis (especially with regard to pitchers) is almost always spot-on. He's been great since he was with the Cubs, and I like his chemistry with Hawk.

The grass is always greener...

SephClone89
07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I love that Hawk tells the same stories over and over again. I love that he gets a little grumpy when the Sox lose. He's a fan, and he's old. What do you expect? He's been the voice of the Sox since I started watching baseball and I will be sad when he is gone.

Well, we have very different expectations for what a broadcaster should be.

Brian26
07-13-2011, 09:40 AM
If this team was winning right now, this wouldn't even be an issue.

As for getting rid of Hawk, just listen to some of the other generic baseball announcers around the league on the MLB package. I can deal with a few quirks with Hawk in lieu of having some generic announcer take his place.

doublem23
07-13-2011, 09:51 AM

As for getting rid of Hawk, just listen to some of the other generic baseball announcers around the league on the MLB package. I can deal with a few quirks with Hawk in lieu of having some generic announcer take his place.

It's not the homerism of Hawk that bothers me, nor do I want a guy who just recites what is happening on the field, it's more the country-fried, redneck-ish persona he emits that I find to be less and less enjoyable as the years go on.

slavko
07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
DJ's line of patter meshes nicely with Farmer. He's much brighter than he was with Hawk. I'm glad he took the radio job. He's not the deepest of analysts, but good enough.

Hawk's got an aggressive personality for sure, but his act has grown more and more exaggerated over the years. You may be right in that it's a product of aging. He's past the balance point in that respect. Stone's a fine analyst, a little dull as a personality, rarely tells a real baseball fan anything they haven't already observed.

What the hey, it's only a baseball game, how critical are we supposed to be? Maybe the way the season is going has us all out of joint.

SI1020
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM

As for getting rid of Hawk, just listen to some of the other generic baseball announcers around the league on the MLB package. I can deal with a few quirks with Hawk in lieu of having some generic announcer take his place. I call the modern day announcers in the ESPN mode blow dried *******s.

Procol Harum
07-13-2011, 10:00 AM
It's not the homerism of Hawk that bothers me, nor do I want a guy who just recites what is happening on the field, it's more the country-fried, redneck-ish persona he emits that I find to be less and less enjoyable as the years go on.

I'm the exact opposite--I luv his down-home persona and the color that provides, but the homerism, constant kvetching about umpires, the "he just missed thats" etc., etc. drive me insane.

If it was a one-or-the-other in the Sox booth, I would definitely opt to keep Stone over Hawk.

PeteWard
07-13-2011, 10:02 AM
That's where he was born. His family moved to Savannah when he was in the 5th grade and he attended high school there. It's a lovely town with a lot of history. You should go there if you get the chance. Try Texas too. I've found most cowboys to be really great guys.

I would love to go to Savannah. Texas, you can have. Dallas and Houston are full of pseudo cowboy businessman jackoffs.

DickAllen72
07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Keep Stone, lose Hawk
Well said. The more I listen to Hawk, the more dangerous I become.

PeteWard
07-13-2011, 10:04 AM

You are setting up a false dichotomy. It does not have to be one or the other.

doublem23
07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm the exact opposite--I luv his down-home persona and the color that provides, but the homerism, constant kvetching about umpires, the "he just missed thats" etc., etc. drive me insane.

If it was a one-or-the-other in the Sox booth, I would definitely opt to keep Stone over Hawk.

The whining is one thing that we can agree on. The homerism I am referring to is just the openly cheering for the Sox and cheering against the opposition. Whenever I run across a "Hawk Harrelson is the worst announcer ever!!!" rant, I always love how people complain that Hawk's HR call for the Sox is loud and excited and how he barely ever responds to an opponent's HR. That's what a good local announcer should do, IMO.

doublem23
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I would love to go to Savannah. Texas, you can have. Dallas and Houston are full of pseudo cowboy businessman jackoffs.

Savannah is really, really nice. There are some parts of Texas that are nice, too (looking at you, Corpus Christi/South Padres Island area) but overall your assessment is correct.

MARTINMVP
07-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Martin:

I'm the one who wrote that about JR and Dave. It is true. Others in the front office liked Dave and pitched him to the owner but for some reason they could never convince him Dave was 'the guy...'

Dave wasn't going to wait around just doing the pre and post game shows so he took the opportunity when the Rays offered it.

Would he return? I'm sure he'd think about it seriously but not to just do a few innings working around either Hawk or Ed. He'd have to be the main announcer to even give it a second thought.

Lip

Thanks for clarifying Lip.

That really is disappointing though. Dave has the voice, he is knowledgeable and he was everything Chicago White Sox.

I remember meeting him at the Orland Hooters a few years ago back when Mac, Jurko and Harry were doing a remote broadcast. Even though I was a Cubs fan back then, I went up to him and told him how much I enjoy his broadcasts. He kind of gave me a weird look - being that I was a Cubs fan and all...

TomBradley72
07-13-2011, 10:52 AM

I completely agree.

As far as DJ goes- I can't believe he actually has a major league job- weak analysis, attempts at banter/humor are just awful- after all these years- he's still one of the worst I've ever heard.

kaufsox
07-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Sadly, we'll never see Hawk and Wimpy together again. Hawk hated Wimpy, and was a huge reason why he was fired after the '99 season.

Leading up to the reunion shows, Wimpy pretty much put all of this to rest in a couple of interviews.

On another note, since people keep insisting that this board is read by Sox brass, I'd like to say I still like Hawk when the Sox are winning, but when they're playing poorly the silent treatment isn't good tv. And for the love of god, do not make Stoney PBP, not his job. When Hawk goes, look for a professional broadcaster not another former big leaguer.

Bob Roarman
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
The whining is one thing that we can agree on. The homerism I am referring to is just the openly cheering for the Sox and cheering against the opposition. Whenever I run across a "Hawk Harrelson is the worst announcer ever!!!" rant, I always love how people complain that Hawk's HR call for the Sox is loud and excited and how he barely ever responds to an opponent's HR. That's what a good local announcer should do, IMO.

Well not to the extent that he does it. It becomes unprofessional. He'll literally go silent, not say a thing, depending on what happened and when it happened. Like for instance, a walk off home run by Jim Thome against the Sox. Call the ****ing play at least. That's the least you can do, that's your job. There's got to be a balance, you can still be "one-sided" but you can't be like that. Well you can, but whatever.

Also, it's best not to be flat out wrong about baseball and how/why the plays and decisions occur in the game when you're the play by play man. Another great quality of the Hawk that rears it's nose on a daily basis.

tstrike2000
07-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Maybe Hawk's ego is more of an issue for me because of Stone's knowledge of the game. Hawk's always been Hawk and I never minded it all that much. The problem now seems to be the pissing contest Hawk seems to sometimes have with Stone on knowledge of or what to do in different situations. Because I think Stone is one of the best analysts out there, I'm concerned he's going to get sick of it and leave and we'll be stuck with some other clown yes man for Hawk's analyses of the game.

LITTLE NELL
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Hawk does not grate on me as much as you guys up north who get the Sox games every night. Hawk is actually a bit of fresh air as I have to listen to Dewayne Staats with the Rays and Rich Waltz with the Marlins. Mercy :(:.

AnkleSox
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Ship out Hawk, Ozzie, and KW for a bag of rocks. They can all argue with each other over who can make the stupidest comment.

doublem23
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Well not to the extent that he does it. It becomes unprofessional. He'll literally go silent, not say a thing, depending on what happened and when it happened. Like for instance, a walk off home run by Jim Thome against the Sox. Call the ****ing play at least. That's the least you can do, that's your job. There's got to be a balance, you can still be "one-sided" but you can't be like that. Well you can, but whatever.

Meh, I really don't have a problem with it. He's not a national broadcaster. What the **** do I want to hear him talk about after a gut punch like that? He's not the radio guy, I can see what just happened.

Brian26
07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
You are setting up a false dichotomy. It does not have to be one or the other.

Perhaps, but I have a hard time naming more than a handful of guys I've heard over the past few years (not counting old time guys like Scully, etc) that are the perfect mix.

Brian26
07-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I completely agree.

As far as DJ goes- I can't believe he actually has a major league job- weak analysis, attempts at banter/humor are just awful- after all these years- he's still one of the worst I've ever heard.

He's awful. I like DJ and have fond memories of him being with Hawk for ten years, but that's pretty much where it ends. I don't listen to many of the radio broadcasts anymore, which is a shame, because Rooney and Farmer were the best.

Whenever I try to listen to DJ (specifically the forced three innings or so of play-by-play that he does), its atrociously bad. In fact, I remember listening during the Cubs/Sox series on my battery-radio because our power was out. DJ's still doing the thing where someone hits a ball in play, and the result of the play isn't actually conveyed immediately, but instead you're told the ball was hit to a certain place and where the runners are advancing but not if the batter is safe or out. Farmer does the same thing. Or a ball will be hit to shortstop, and DJ will say "and he'll take care of it to retire the side." What happened? Was it a pop-up or lineout or did Alexei throw it to first? It seems like radio broadcasting 101, but listening to these guys is still like fingers on a chalkboard.

The dumb humor between Farmer and DJ is just cringe-worthy. Its hard to even listen to it and pretend its funny or cute just because it's a Sox broadcast.

Brian26
07-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Well not to the extent that he does it. It becomes unprofessional. He'll literally go silent, not say a thing, depending on what happened and when it happened. Like for instance, a walk off home run by Jim Thome against the Sox. Call the ****ing play at least.

Ah, whatever, that's hyperbole. If you've ever listened to interviews with some of the greatest baseball announcers ever, sometimes in big moments they believe you let (on television at least) the action call itself. There's nothing wrong with the way Hawk handled that one. That was the defining moment of the season for both the Twins and Sox. You didn't need an announcer to tell you that was a homerun.

And on the contrary, you hear people whining about Hawk shutting up for several innings in a row if the Sox are bad. That's sports talk radio hyperbole too.

AnkleSox
07-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Ah, whatever, that's hyperbole. If you've ever listened to interviews with some of the greatest baseball announcers ever, sometimes in big moments they believe you let (on television at least) the action call itself. There's nothing wrong with the way Hawk handled that one. That was the defining moment of the season for both the Twins and Sox. You didn't need an announcer to tell you that was a homerun.

And on the contrary, you hear people whining about Hawk shutting up for several innings in a row if the Sox are bad. That's sports talk radio hyperbole too.

I wish Hawk would have shut his ****ing mouth then after Buehrle pitched his perfect game. His orgasmic YES screaming is an embarassment to the accomplishment, the organization, and anyone who was rooting for a perfect game. Hawk should buy Mark a new car for verbally defecating all over his achievement.

hawkjt
07-13-2011, 01:25 PM

I agree that the losing is making everyone irritable. I know there is a loud contingent of Sox fans who cannot stand Hawk,but I like the Hawk/Stoney pairing.
I watch every game,and I hear fans talk about this on here,but I just do not see the same ''issues'' that some cite on here. Hawk and Stoney seem to get along just fine,to me,with each having their own perspectives as hitter and pitcher. They both have a ton of years in MLB and so can always cite an example to illustrate a point they might be making.

I do not relish the day that Hawk and Stoney are gone,and we have two Albert boys in the booth. Generic bland youngsters who will fall back into Hawkism cliches when they want to get ''colorful''....me,I will take the original. Watching MLB Network,they will cut to live games,and I often hear a random Hawkism used by guys like the Giants announcers..but to their credit,they attribute it to Hawk.
MLB Network studio guys often go to Hawkisms. Guess they like the color of oldtimey baseball talk. Not many guys left. I like our booth.

Procol Harum
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
The homerism I am referring to is just the openly cheering for the Sox and cheering against the opposition. Whenever I run across a "Hawk Harrelson is the worst announcer ever!!!" rant, I always love how people complain that Hawk's HR call for the Sox is loud and excited and how he barely ever responds to an opponent's HR. That's what a good local announcer should do, IMO.

I'm diggin' on that.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I actually love Hawk :duck:

Zisk77
07-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Woodruff, South Carolina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Harrelson

Little lower on the page. Born SC lived as a youth savannah ga. So we are both right. Hawk refers to himself as a georgia boy though.

TommyGavinFloyd
07-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Hawk is awesome. Stone is awesome. Hawk and Stone together are awesome. Hawk and DJ were awesome. Hawk and Wimpy were awesome.

The End.

dickallen15
07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
I wish Hawk would have shut his ****ing mouth then after Buehrle pitched his perfect game. His orgasmic YES screaming is an embarassment to the accomplishment, the organization, and anyone who was rooting for a perfect game. Hawk should buy Mark a new car for verbally defecating all over his achievement.
Its funny, people complain when a guy goes nuts after the Sox do something big, and also complain because a guy like Joe Buck doesn't act like a homer when the Sox win. Hawk nagging the umpires constantly bothers me, as does his acting like a company man and not being straight about certain players, but I love his enthusiam, love the fact that he doesn't sound like he was manufactured in a broadcast school, and hope he stays until he dies.

sox1970
07-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Glad to see so many people calling out Hawk.

The guy is almost 70. He sees the finish line, and all he's doing is trying to get in the Hall of Fame--and get there while he can still give a coherent speech.

That's why they had Hawk Day last year. That's why they dedicated the broadcast level at the Cell in Hawk's name. These are moves to build his Hall of Fame credentials, and why he's reduced himself to a soundboard when he's calling games.

All he does is play to the MLB Network, so when a highlight of the game happens, Hawk will talk over the whole thing so his voice covers the entire 10 or 15 second highlight.

He's a joke, and Stone knows it.

thomas35forever
07-13-2011, 09:26 PM
And that right there is where you show a flat-out hatred for Hawk. I can't take opinions like yours seriously.

As for the topic itself, I heard during my internship at WGN-TV that Hawk and Stone have gone out to dinner exactly once during their time together. Hawk just has his own friends he hangs out with. The original idea may have some leverage to it.

JB98
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM
And that right there is where you show a flat-out hatred for Hawk. I can't take opinions like yours seriously.

As for the topic itself, I heard during my internship at WGN-TV that Hawk and Stone have gone out to dinner exactly once during their time together. Hawk just has his own friends he hangs out with. The original idea may have some leverage to it.

I've heard on many occasions from multiple sources that the two do not care for each other.

BigKlu59
07-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Its funny, people complain when a guy goes nuts after the Sox do something big, and also complain because a guy like Joe Buck doesn't act like a homer when the Sox win. Hawk nagging the umpires constantly bothers me, as does his acting like a company man and not being straight about certain players, but I love his enthusiam, love the fact that he doesn't sound like he was manufactured in a broadcast school, and hope he stays until he dies.

I'll take him warts and all... He's a throwback and they are slowly disappearing each and every year.. We have the Hawk.. The Phils had Whitey Ashburn, the sCubs Santo and each of these ex-players bled the blood of the team.. I dread the day we get Broadcast Joe out of Fantasy League College.. Pablum el Puketude..

BK59

thomas35forever
07-13-2011, 09:34 PM
I've heard on many occasions from multiple sources that the two do not care for each other.
Any chance we can get Wimpy back? He and Hawk seemed to be really comfortable with each other during the Oakland series.

JB98
07-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Any chance we can get Wimpy back? He and Hawk seemed to be really comfortable with each other during the Oakland series.

I think that ship has sailed.

russ99
07-13-2011, 09:54 PM
I think Hawk is much the same broadcaster as when he started. He certainly hasn't degraded like Harry did the last few years with the Cubs.

Maybe for some, his style has worn out a welcome, but I'm glad we still have the guy. We're going to look back on this era of Sox broadcasting warmly. Maybe not as much as Harry and Jimmy or Rooney and Farmer, but Hawk is an icon, and we're lucky to have him and Steve in the booth.

Maybe those who are worn thin by Hawk are more worn thin by the Sox. When the Sox are doing well, Hawk is a joy to listen to. When they do poorly, even I have to tune out sometimes.

Bob Roarman
07-13-2011, 10:32 PM

So what if it's a defining moment? Call the play. That's your job. The defining moment for the Hawks was when the hated Alex Burrows scored the winning goal in OT in Game 7, and I'm not a huge fan of Pat Foley, but he called the play. That's an example of striking a balance, of doing your job while still being that local broadcaster that pulls for the team. Hawk is just off the map in that regard. And being "unique" in that way and combining that with being wrong about numerous things in any given broadcast is not a good thing. You become a laughing stock in the sport, as he has.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
JB:

I've heard the same things about Hawk and Stone. It appears to be going down the same path that took place between Hawk and Tommy.

Lip

PeteWard
07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I think Hawk is much the same broadcaster as when he started. He certainly hasn't degraded like Harry did the last few years with the Cubs.

Maybe for some, his style has worn out a welcome, but I'm glad we still have the guy. We're going to look back on this era of Sox broadcasting warmly. Maybe not as much as Harry and Jimmy or Rooney and Farmer, but Hawk is an icon, and we're lucky to have him and Steve in the booth.

Maybe those who are worn thin by Hawk are more worn thin by the Sox. When the Sox are doing well, Hawk is a joy to listen to. When they do poorly, even I have to tune out sometimes.

Not for me. I have loathed him since day 1.

DickAllen72
07-13-2011, 11:39 PM
JB:

I've heard the same things about Hawk and Stone. It appears to be going down the same path that took place between Hawk and Tommy.

Lip
We better not lose Stone because of Hawk.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Russ:

In fairness to Harry he suffered a debilitating stroke and should never have been allowed on the air after it.

That fact that he was, speaks more about WGN and the Tribune Company mentality about ratings and promoting the Cubs at the expense of quality broadcasting.

Lip

DSpivack
07-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Russ:

In fairness to Harry he suffered a debilitating stroke and should never have been allowed on the air after it.

That fact that he was, speaks more about WGN and the Tribune Company mentality about ratings and promoting the Cubs at the expense of quality broadcasting.

Lip

When did that happen? Another Chicago baseball story I am ignorant of.

Noneck
07-14-2011, 12:18 AM
When did that happen? Another Chicago baseball story I am ignorant of.

Winter of 1987.

dickallen15
07-14-2011, 07:41 AM
JB:

Lip
Then why did Stone sign an extension last year?

AnkleSox
07-14-2011, 09:19 AM

You can't take my opinion seriously but you can take Hawk's whining, bickering, and general immaturity seriously? You honestly don't cringe when you hear his call of Buehrle's perfect game? There can't possibly be that many people left who take Hawk seriously as a broadcaster. I understand that at one time he had his charm, but these days he's nothing more than a parody of himself.

AnkleSox
07-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Glad to see so many people calling out Hawk.

The guy is almost 70. He sees the finish line, and all he's doing is trying to get in the Hall of Fame--and get there while he can still give a coherent speech.

I'd have to say he's already about 10 years too late.

soltrain21
07-14-2011, 10:01 AM

No, he isn't good then, either.

Hawk is terrible. And I agree with AnkleSox about his Perfect Game call. It was absolutely dreadful. The "call your sons" line was awesome - but his creepy "YES" yelling was downright hideous.

Glad I was there and didn't have to listen to the call on TV. My thought process would have immediately would have went from, "Mark threw a perfect game!" to, "Did Hawk just get laid in the booth?"

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Dick:

Remember it took ten years of things building up between Hawk and Wimpy before the split came (actually if memory serves 11 years).

And my comment was badly worded, (my fault) I did not mean to imply that a firing / resignation was imminent just that the two don't get along the greatest.

Lip

DickAllen72
07-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Dick:

Remember it took ten years of things building up between Hawk and Wimpy before the split came (actually if memory serves 11 years).

And my comment was badly worded, (my fault) I did not mean to imply that a firing / resignation was imminent just that the two don't get along the greatest.

Lip
Did any of Hawk's partners (other than Drysdale whom Hawk adored) get along with him? Or maybe I should ask, did Hawk get along with any of his partners?

thomas35forever
07-14-2011, 02:30 PM
You can't take my opinion seriously but you can take Hawk's whining, bickering, and general immaturity seriously? You honestly don't cringe when you hear his call of Buehrle's perfect game? There can't possibly be that many people left who take Hawk seriously as a broadcaster. I understand that at one time he had his charm, but these days he's nothing more than a parody of himself.
No, I don't see a problem with his call of the perfect game. Is there something wrong with letting out that type of excitement over a rare feat in baseball? I'd like to know how you would have called it.

The Immigrant
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
No, I don't see a problem with his call of the perfect game. Is there something wrong with letting out that type of excitement over a rare feat in baseball?

Eh, it sounded a bit contrived and was a just a little too primal for my taste. I cringe everytime I hear it even though I generally like Hawk.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Dick:

Hawk has really only had four regular partners in his time...Drysdale, Paciorek, D.J. and Stone.

I think he got along with D.J. and as you said, he and Don got along very well.

Lip

AnkleSox
07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
No, I don't see a problem with his call of the perfect game. Is there something wrong with letting out that type of excitement over a rare feat in baseball? I'd like to know how you would have called it.

I cheer like a normal fan. I don't re-enact the diner scene from "When Harry Met Sally."

Also, I'm not paid to call games professionally. No, I don't want some doldrum monotone buffoon calling it, but Hawk is an embarassment.

shingo10
07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
According to Stone himself on Boers and Bernstein he hates when Hawk calls him "stonepony" which he does on multiple occasions every game.

Once again not trying to turn it into one is better than the other. I wish they would both take some responsibility and be more professional in the broadcast. Less talking over each other and less ignoring each others points.

DirtySox
07-14-2011, 04:27 PM
According to Stone himself on Boers and Bernstein he hates when Hawk calls him "stonepony" which he does on multiple occasions every game.

Once again not trying to turn it into one is better than the other. I wish they would both take some responsibility and be more professional in the broadcast. Less talking over each other and less ignoring each others points.

It's pretty hard not to ignore Hawk's "points."

PalehosePlanet
07-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Dick:

Hawk has really only had four regular partners in his time...Drysdale, Paciorek, D.J. and Stone.

I think he got along with D.J. and as you said, he and Don got along very well.

Lip

He was with Boston for 7 years prior to coming here, and was partnered with Dick Stockton for much of that time. I believe he was fired after 1981 for calling then Red Sox manager, Ralph Houk, the worst manager in baseball. (Wasn't always the company-line man, apparently.)

After he was fired as our GM, he was in The Yankees broadcast booth for two years, but I'm not sure of the partner.

I personally thought Hawk was an excellent analyst back in the '80's. It's not until he became the play by play guy in the '90's that his persona went completely over the top.

SI1020
07-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I think that is Hawk being purposefully catty. Ego clashes such as this are so banal and boring.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Pale:

I was specifically speaking about his White Sox tenure. I have no idea who he worked with in Boston or New York. (and honestly I don't care...)

And I agree Hawk was a very good analyst with Don in the 80's.

Lip

wassagstdu
07-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I grew up listening to Jack Brickhouse on TV and Bob Elson on radio ("That's a White Owl wallop and a box of White Owl cigars to Looie Aparicio" (his 1000th hit was a HR, and he may have hit one or two others). They were totally different from Hawk, but nowadays I will not watch a Sox game unless I can hear Hawk. He makes the wins more fun and commiserates the losses. Dadgummit is exactly what I am usually thinking. He can keep "He looks up ... and makes the catch" though.

Lamp81
07-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Hawk certainly has his faults. But there is no doubt, that he shares my feelings about the way the Sox are playing. He wants the Sox to win as much as I do at home. That, I like about Hawk.

When we hit a line drive that barely goes foul, I scream dadgummit at home too.