PDA

View Full Version : CSN to rebroadcast World Series Game 4 tomorrow night

doublem23
07-12-2011, 10:00 AM
7 PM

http://www.csnchicago.com/07/06/11/Four-nights-four-Chicago-championships-o/landing.html?blockID=539642&feedID=621

October26
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I love remembering all of the happy memories from October26th and will be watching CSN tonight! :bandance:

Nelfox02
07-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Easily one of the greatest moments of my life......still hard to believe it actually happened.

That whole month was just amazing......

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Easily one of the greatest moments of my life......still hard to believe it actually happened.

Don't know about anyone else, but time seemed to just stand still that entire month for me...A good kind of eerie feeling.

BigKlu59
07-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Ya, Our friend "Murphy" was out of town and lost in the Temples of Macchu Piccuu and everything glorious that could happen...HAPPENED !!!
Baseball on the South Side was "Hollywood Good Feeling" script writing at its best..

BK59

JermaineDye05
07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a PR move to try and get us to forget how bad this year's team is.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a PR move to try and get us to forget how bad this year's team is.
They've been showcasing championship clinching games for Chicago all week. Last night, they showed Game 6 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.

JermaineDye05
07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
They've been showcasing championship clinching games for Chicago all week. Last night, they showed Game 6 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.

Ah okay.

I still find it odd that they chose the week after the Sox were embarrassed by the Twins once again.

DumpJerry
07-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Ah okay.

I still find it odd that they chose the week after the Sox were embarrassed by the Twins once again.
:rolleyes:Yeah, I'm sure they waited until Sunday to decide to make this week the week they show championship Chicago teams. After all, there is no reason for a television network to plan its programming many months in advance.

DumpJerry
07-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Too bad they can't include the broadcast of the Cubs clinching a World Series title............:redneck

Must be lonely at Clark and Addison.

Tragg
07-13-2011, 05:35 PM
That fall has been and always will be surreal to me. I had to deal with the effects of Katrina on the one hand (although I wasn't devastated like so many were - I was just significantly inconvenienced and full of worry about the people, the city and its institutions) but had the Sox on their way to something I never thought would happen, on the other.
Pain/pleasure/pain/pleasure.
A metaphor for life. LOL

#1swisher
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
7 PM

http://www.csnchicago.com/07/06/11/Four-nights-four-Chicago-championships-o/landing.html?blockID=539642&feedID=621

Thanks, D23

I was just thinking of our WS, while watching the ASG.

Who's in the starting lineup? :tongue:

kittle42
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM

It was obviously planned that way.

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
That fall has been and always will be surreal to me. I had to deal with the effects of Katrina on the one hand (although I wasn't devastated like so many were - I was just significantly inconvenienced and full of worry about the people, the city and its institutions) but had the Sox on their way to something I never thought would happen, on the other.
A metaphor for life. LOL

My dad died that July, I thought 3 months later that the Series win a gift from him. :tongue:

#1swisher
07-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Too bad they can't include the broadcast of the Cubs clinching a World Series title............:redneck

Must be lonely at Clark and Addison.

Since you went there. :tongue:
Tonight - WTTW 8-9:30pm
Chicago Cubs: The Heart and Soul of Chicago NEW

guillensdisciple
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Since you went there. :tongue:
Tonight - WTTW 8-9:30pm
Chicago Cubs: The Heart and Soul of Chicago NEW

Kinda sucks that our city is defined by losing.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Ah okay.

I think it has to do with the all star break and absolutely nothing going on in the team sporting world for a few days.

doublem23
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I think it has to do with the all star break and absolutely nothing going on in the team sporting world for a few days.

No of course not, it's all a PR conspiracy!!!!

TheOldRoman
07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
A metaphor for life. LOL
I remember JR had a really good quote about that when the Sox clinched the division. He said something to the effect of "It has been so stressful, and it was to the point over that last month where you would get physically ill. But then the tragedy of Katrina happened and it makes you take a step back and realize 'that's real life and this is just baseball'."

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Final three outs are on now.

WhiteSox1989
07-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Still get chills every time.

Rocky Soprano
07-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Wow, it does bring back some great memories.
Will we ever see that again?

Please JR, make the necessary changes!

Nelfox02
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow, it does bring back some great memories.
Will we ever see that again?

Please JR, make the necessary changes!

hope and pray that we do........

Bob Roarman
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Kinda sucks that our city is defined by losing.

Well it's not just one team though. It's pretty much every team, with the exception of the Jordan Bulls. 89 year drought for Sox, over 100 years for Cubs. Almost 50 years with the Hawks, over 25 years with the Bears. Yeah, losing.

JB98
07-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Well it's not just one team though. It's pretty much every team, with the exception of the Jordan Bulls. 89 year drought for Sox, over 100 years for Cubs. Almost 50 years with the Hawks, over 25 years with the Bears. Yeah, losing.

Other cities have it worse. Far worse. Many of us have witnessed championships in MLB, the NFL, the NHL and the NBA here in Chicago in our lifetimes. Fans in a lot of other cities cannot say that.

spawn
07-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Other cities have it worse. Far worse. Many of us have witnessed championships in MLB, the NFL, the NHL and the NBA here in Chicago in our lifetimes. Fans in a lot of other cities cannot say that.
Yep. Look no further than Cleveland.

ChicagoG19
07-13-2011, 10:16 PM

I am still waiting to see a Bears Super Bowl. Other than that, I have seen all my teams (excluding college) win the big one.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Or Buffalo or San Diego.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Thank you! I am ****ing sick and tired of people lamenting about how much we are a city of "losers." All but a few cities would KILL for our rich sports history that has a glut of championships in comparison to the VAST majority.

PaleHoser
07-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Final three outs are on now.

Juan Uribe's catch is one of the best ever I've ever seen.

Had Derek Jeter made that catch, the media would proclaim him a deity.

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I am still waiting to see a Bears Super Bowl. Other than that, I have seen all my teams (excluding college) win the big one.

Yep. Look no further than Cleveland.

Yeah, I've seen 3 of my 4 teams win a collected 8 titles, and have been a sports fan for about 20 years. I'd say I'm quite spoiled.

Cleveland may be known for their teams having 0 titles in the last 50+ years, but most cities haven't seen as many titles as we have. Philly? Has just the Phillies title recently. Atlanta? One Braves title 16 years ago. DC? Nothing in 20 years. LA has the Lakers and the one Angels title 9 years ago. The NY area has the many Yankees titles, 3 Devils titles and one Giants title, while the Bay Area has just the Giants last year.

In the last 20 years, I'd guess that no city outside of Boston has as many titles as does Chicago.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I've seen 3 of my 4 teams win a collected 8 titles, and have been a sports fan for about 20 years. I'd say I'm quite spoiled.

Cleveland may be known for their teams having 0 titles in the last 50+ years, but most cities haven't seen as many titles as we have. Philly? Has just the Phillies title recently. Atlanta? One Braves title 16 years ago. DC? Nothing in 20 years. LA has the Lakers and the one Angels title 9 years ago. The NY area has the many Yankees titles, 3 Devils titles and one Giants title, while the Bay Area has just the Giants last year.

In the last 20 years, I'd guess that no city outside of Boston has as many titles as does Chicago.
The 2007 Ducks say "Hi!" :wink: (Too bad they beat the Ottawa Senators to win their title. :(:)

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
The 2007 Ducks say "Hi!" :wink: (Too bad they beat the Ottawa Senators to win their title. :(:)

I also forgot the '94 Rangers, as I was going back 20 years.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I also forgot the '94 Rangers, as I was going back 20 years.
You also forgot the 49ers for the Bay Area. They even beat the Bears in the NFC Semifinals on their way to winning the 1995 Super Bowl.

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 11:13 PM
You also forgot the 49ers for the Bay Area. They even beat the Bears in the NFC Semifinals on their way to winning the 1995 Super Bowl.

True. And I remember that win over the Vikings well. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2011, 11:15 PM
True. And I remember that win over the Vikings well. :cool:
I do too! I was watching it from my grandparents' front room! God, what a smackdown we gave to them in the Dome! Good times! Erik Kramer still is my favorite football player ever (but Urlacher is close)!

DSpivack
07-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I do too! I was watching it from my grandparents' front room! God, what a smackdown we gave to them in the Dome! Good times! Erik Kramer still is my favorite football player ever (but Urlacher is close)!

...And that was the best Bears team when I was growing up.

It's no wonder I like baseball and basketball more. Like many people, I became a sports fan as a kid by influence of my dad. He was a Bears season ticket holder for nearly 20 years, by that theory football should be my favorite sport, but since my formative Bears memories were Dave "All The Pieces Are In Place" Wannstedt's teams I guess the sport just didn't make a huge impression on me.

Mohoney
07-13-2011, 11:42 PM

That would be the NFC Divisional Playoff, not the NFC Semifinals.

Bob Roarman
07-14-2011, 12:36 AM

Well a lot of other fans in a lot of other cities all don't have 5 teams playing in the 4 major pro sports leagues, let alone are a major market, so it's kinda incomparable when you take that into account. Besides the once in a lifetime anomaly of Michael Jordan and the Bulls (I guess if you believe everyone is a basketball fan in Illinois the logic works out that we're "very lucky"), we've got 1 Stanley Cup, 1 World series title, 1 Superbowl win in the past 50 years.

When you take into account that before 2005, we had 3 teams (Hawks, White Sox, Cubs) leading their sports in championship droughts you start to understand that "glut of rich history" isn't really that rich. Because a few of them have finally won a championship doesn't really change that.

I don't, maybe it's just me, but with all the opportunities the city has overall, I don't really see 3 championships from all of them combined over half a century as being really lucky.

soxfan2504
07-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Well a lot of other fans in a lot of other cities all don't have 5 teams playing in the 4 major pro sports leagues, let alone are a major market, so it's kinda incomparable when you take that into account. Besides the once in a lifetime anomaly of Michael Jordan and the Bulls (I guess if you believe everyone is a basketball fan in Illinois the logic works out that we're "very lucky"), we've got 1 Stanley Cup, 1 World series title, 1 Superbowl win in the past 50 years.

When you take into account that before 2005, we had 3 teams (Hawks, White Sox, Cubs) leading their sports in championship droughts you start to understand that "glut of rich history" isn't really that rich. Because a few of them have finally won a championship doesn't really change that.

I don't, maybe it's just me, but with all the opportunities the city has overall, I don't really see 3 championships from all of them combined over half a century as being really lucky.

:iron

The tight end for the 1963 NFL Champion Chicago Bears, 48 years ago, says hello.

DSpivack
07-14-2011, 01:10 AM

Cherry-picking titles out of your argument simply because you don't happen to like the sport makes you look silly.

There are sports fans in New York who would agree with your sentiment. A 30-year old Jets, Mets, Islanders, and Nets fan would be perhaps be mired in misery and think New York is cursed. Those other teams that have won titles? They don't count because he's not a fan.

I get your point regarding the title droughts in Chicago leading their leagues. Thankfully, those have been broken recently.

But what exactly is the implication? Chicago is cursed? Or maybe there is something in the water here that makes us a losing town? Such an argument only works if the facts stand out in comparison to other cities. And I just don't see that.

I don't have the care to do it, but I'd be interested to plot out every single city that has 3 or more sports teams in the Big 4 leagues, and see, on average, how often that city sees a title.

comet2k
07-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Man that was a great game last night! A team that plays that well is sure to win more than one World Series, don't ya think?

doublem23
07-14-2011, 08:26 AM
But what exactly is the implication? Chicago is cursed? Or maybe there is something in the water here that makes us a losing town? Such an argument only works if the facts stand out in comparison to other cities. And I just don't see that.

Oh, he's just complaining for the sake of complaining. Couldn't possibly agree with a pretty rational opinion. And the "major market" status has no bearing on this argument either, as 3 of the 4 major sports league impose some kind of salary restriction, so it's not like the big boys can just go out and buy whomever they like except in baseball.

I'm 27 and really, other than Boston, what sports city has given its fans as much as Chicago in my lifetime?

Chez
07-14-2011, 08:29 AM
That was really fun to watch [again]! I still got nervous in the 9th. Uribe with three great plays on the last four Astro outs.

southside rocks
07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
That was really fun to watch [again]! I still got nervous in the 9th. Uribe with three great plays on the last four Astro outs.

I know, I yelled "he got it, he got it!" when Uribe dived into the stands! LOL

Had to laugh at Buck and McCarver when they were talking about Roger Clemens, in the middle innings -- 'will he pitch again' and then they recited his 2005 stats and said 'well, he's not out of gas yet' or something like that. "Oh, he's got plenty of juice left," I assured my TV set. :redneck

jdm2662
07-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Steve Walsh was the starting QB.

October26
07-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Man that was a great game last night! A team that plays that well is sure to win more than one World Series, don't ya think?

Game 4 of the 2005 World Series was a fantastic game!

As my sig says, my family and I celebrated like crazy and we hope to see a few more White Sox World Series wins during our lifetime. :bandance:

JB98
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM

I never said we were "really lucky." I'm just noting that Chicago teams have done better over the last 30 years or so than teams from some other cities. :shrug:

Dick Allen
07-14-2011, 12:55 PM
For some of us "older" fans, there was a long drought between 1963 and 1985 with NO championships at all. Back then, we were frequently referred to as the "City of Losers".

BigKlu59
07-14-2011, 02:37 PM
For some of us "older" fans, there was a long drought between 1963 and 1985 with NO championships at all. Back then, we were frequently referred to as the "City of Losers".

Come on Dick you make those years sound so bleak.. Sure all the teams werent able to bring home a championship, But they did help Maalox sales a few seasons.. I prefer to call those years Emotional Boot Camp.

Its not as though we didnt have teams wallowing in the basement all of those years.. It may have seemed like it, but the Bears, Sox, Buls and Hawks got to the dance in the National spotlight playing for the hardware.

We just came up Bupkus...

To refresh your memory...

From 1958-1985 the Hawks made the play offs each season, Went to the Finals in 60-61,61-62,64-65,70-71,72-73..

Could have won the Cup each year from 60-67 if you ask me.. Didnt happen, but they werent branded "LOSERS".. Heartbreakers yes, not LOSERS

Finished atop their division in 1966-67 should have won that one except Mr's "Murphy" and Sawchuck chucked a wrench in the works

Ran into the Hab's, Isles. Oiler dynasties in the early 80's

Da Bears... 63 the town went ape**** and we thought we had put the the "Lombardi Beast" to bed... um, we didnt but didnt become what I'd call losers till Abe and the Dog and Pony show in 69. Bears were lost in a 40's time warp till 75 and made it back to repectability in 77...Got their asses handed to them, but hey...They werent the Detriot Lions.. Philly Phucked them over in 79... Da Coach came back and started an nice run on the Lakefront

Da Bulls... Da Bulls Lew Alcindor and Wilt Chamberlain > Tom Boerwinkle and Artis Gilmore... Nuff said..

Sox .... Carried the city on their backs in the 50's whilst the Hawks wallowed and the Bears disingrated except for the 56 debacle against the Giants.. who up to that time hadnt won **** since the sneakers game.

Other than the Hawks of the 60's were the only other team in town that were the furthest thing from being what I would call losers.. As with every franchise they went through a 10 year span of mediocrity, but other than 70 didnt put up Cubbie or Metropolitan type century numbers in the L column...

Nah.. Not a city of losers.. came up short in the big game along the way.. But atleast, as you say,....we are not perenial has beens...

By my count I've been on this orb for 2 Hawk Cups, 2 Bear Champs,6 Bull Champs, and a Sox World Series.. Not exactly Yanks or Hab's numbers.. But better than some around the country..

BK59

Bob Roarman
07-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Cherry-picking titles out of your argument simply because you don't happen to like the sport makes you look silly.

There are sports fans in New York who would agree with your sentiment. A 30-year old Jets, Mets, Islanders, and Nets fan would be perhaps be mired in misery and think New York is cursed. Those other teams that have won titles? They don't count because he's not a fan.

I get your point regarding the title droughts in Chicago leading their leagues. Thankfully, those have been broken recently.

I don't have the care to do it, but I'd be interested to plot out every single city that has 3 or more sports teams in the Big 4 leagues, and see, on average, how often that city sees a title.

There was a remark about the Cubs documentary being the Heart and Soul of Chicago and that it sucked our city is defined by losing by saying that. But like I said, it wasn't just the Cubs that defined it that way. Every sports organization in this city played a role in that. I'm not saying Chicago is cursed, but with the kind of championship droughts it's had up until only very recently, yeah it's fair to say the majority of it's sports landscape has been defined by losing.

And double, Chicago being a major market is a legit point in this discussion. It's only been until fairly recently for the 3 other leagues to adopt any sort of salary cap. The NBA has been around since 46' and from 47' on until the 85' season there was no salary cap. Hockey didn't have a salary cap until the lockout ended in 2005. Before that, Old Man Wirtz and buddy Pully sabotaged probably the Hawks' best chances at winning the Cup (and maybe more than 1) because they didn't want to pay the players to stick around. And the NFL salary cap has only been around since 94'.