PDA

View Full Version : John Kruk's Bold 2nd Half Pick - Adam Dunn will have a great half

doublem23
07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Just a note for everyone who thinks ESPN never mentions us or never has anything nice to say about the Sox.

WhiteSox56
07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Dunn will still be "too little, too late".

mzh
07-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Just a note for everyone who thinks ESPN never mentions us or never has anything nice to say about the Sox.
I do remember in 2005 when something like 3 out of 4 'analysts' predicted that the Houston pitching would shut down the Sox, he was the only one who went with them all the way. Always seemed like he had a soft spot for the south side, but it's been a while since I've seen a substantial amount of ESPN.

Harry Chappas
07-11-2011, 02:02 PM
I fully expect him to hit a bunch of meaningless home runs and the Sox to continue to fail. Wake me up when the season's over.

doublem23
07-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I fully expect him to hit a bunch of meaningless home runs and the Sox to continue to fail. Wake me up when the season's over.

I'd still like to think that if Dunn wakes up from his season's long coma, the Sox can stay right in the thick of things. We've gotten absolutely 0 from Dunn and almost nothing from Rios and Beckham, and we sit a mere 5 games removed from a potential postseason berth.

Procol Harum
07-11-2011, 02:09 PM
From his lips to God's ear-if this were to come true, it would mean a significant uptick for the Sox offense--as long as Rios doesn't somehow mysteriously end up being inserted in the lineup for Dunn. Still, even if this were to come true, it would be hard for me to get too excited about the chances for a Sox miracle--just not a believer after what I've seen in the first 92 games.

GlassSox
07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Do the Sox get to prorate his salary when he finally shows up? :tongue:

JB98
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I remember the good ol' days in May when Dunn got his batting average all the way up to .216.

The scary part is his slump is actually deepening. He hit .136 in June and is hitting at an .086 clip in July.

GlassSox
07-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I remember the good ol' days in May when Dunn got his batting average all the way up to .216.

The scary part is his slump is actually deepening. He hit .136 in June and is hitting at an .086 clip in July.

Thanks for the numbers, it's scary to think he is getting worse.

russ99
07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the numbers, it's scary to think he is getting worse.

The crazy stat I saw yesterday is he's 17 out of 138 at the Cell. That's a .123 average.

On the road he's hitting a cracking .198.

Marqhead
07-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I predict John Kruk will bust out of his slump in the 2nd half. He's been a pretty lousy analyst so far this year.

MeteorsSox4367
07-11-2011, 03:24 PM

But it's a hard .086. Don't tell me what you hit. Tell me when you hit it.

I really hope Kruk is right. I like Dunn, he seems like a nice guy and I want him to succeed because he plays for my favorite team. Just a little production would be cool.

DumpJerry
07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
If Dunn hits the way he has before the second game of the 2011 season, we'll be fine as long as the pitching holds up (I'm looking at you, Jake Peavy and Gavin Floyd).

Madvora
07-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Wake up, the season's been over for months.

Chez
07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
But it's a hard .086. Don't tell me what you hit. Tell me when you hit it.

Beat me to it! :thumbsup:

cws05champ
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I predict John Kruk will bust out of his slump in the 2nd half. He's been a pretty lousy analyst so far this year.
It's not that much of a prediction to say that a guy who has a long track record of home runs and RBI, will hit better than .160 and hit a bunch of HR in the 2nd half.

kufram
07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't think Kruk's prediction is that bold. It's pretty bold to say it because the rest of the world, well WSI anyway, have all decided that Dunn is a hopeless case and that he will only get worse.

Dunn showing life with the bat could not only be possible... it could be inevitable. The guy simply isn't as bad as he's been this year up until now. This season is the aberration of his career and the mitigating factor could be that he's not playing in the field for the first time.

There are plenty of chicken littles around and there is plenty of reason to anoint the team this year's Titanic but the fact is that we are not hopelessly out of the race by any stretch of the imagination. It doesn't matter how bad the other teams in the division are or how badly we've played up until now. We are where we are.

I'm reminded of Jay Mariotti boasting on Around The Horn how the White Sox were blowing their 16 game lead and wouldn't even win their division let alone the WS and it just made me want them to do it more just to shut him up. Well, they did and he did.

This is not 2005 and this team has shown how bad team offense can be... almost unbelievably bad. But a few weeks ago AJ was being derided because his bat was black hole, the defense was making comical errors, the bullpen didn't exist.. the list goes on.

Kurk could be on to something. I don't like the style of player that Dunn is but I can see that should he manage to turn it around it would make a huge difference.

balke
07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd still like to think that if Dunn wakes up from his season's long coma, the Sox can stay right in the thick of things. We've gotten absolutely 0 from Dunn and almost nothing from Rios and Beckham, and we sit a mere 5 games removed from a potential postseason berth.

I think they get swept by Detroit after the break (Dunn 1 for 16 10Ks) - the server here crashes and Kenny fires EVERYONE. In turn he himself goes at season's end.

Harry Chappas
07-11-2011, 03:55 PM

I hear you. I've been hanging on to this very thing for months now. I kept glancing at the calendar and the standings thinking that once Rios and Dunn snap out of it, we'll take over the division. This latest home stand just killed my normal optimism. Even if the Sox string together a bunch of wins and manage to play themselves back into contention, it'll be hard to get too excited. This season has taken a lot out of me!

In fact, this thread showing Dunn's month-to-month decline has made me feel even worse and I didn't think that was possible. :(:

white sox bill
07-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Yes but he could hit twice as good the second half and only suck half as bad

Chez
07-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Dunn's first half has defied the law of averages! It's hard to believe a hitter with his track record could be so terrible for 3 and a half months -- unless there is something physically wrong with him that he hasn't told anyone about. I know it sounds stupid, but if I'm the Sox, I send Dunn and Rios for eye examinations.

tstrike2000
07-11-2011, 04:19 PM
If Dunn doesn't start contributing like he should in the second half...

:hawk

You can cancel the postseason.

voodoochile
07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Dunn will still be "too little, too late".

I disagree if he really comes close to matching his career averages for half a season I'll be shocked if the Sox don't win the division.

SI1020
07-11-2011, 08:02 PM
If he hits his career average he might make it to .200 by the end of the year. Wonderful.

voodoochile
07-11-2011, 08:14 PM
If he hits his career average he might make it to .200 by the end of the year. Wonderful.

And if he hits 18 HR that will be fine...

johnnyg83
07-11-2011, 08:31 PM
And if he hits 18 HR that will be fine...

How many did we get from the dh Last year? Pretty close.

NLaloosh
07-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I disagree if he really comes close to matching his career averages for half a season I'll be shocked if the Sox don't win the division.

That's true. But, wouldn't it be just like the Sox to come out of the gate in the second half ice cold and then Kenny trades Buehrle, Quentin, Pierre and Jackson.

Then, Dunn gets hot !:tongue:

Nellie_Fox
07-12-2011, 01:21 AM
I know it sounds stupid, but if I'm the Sox, I send Dunn and Rios for eye examinations.It doesn't sound stupid, but since they have Dunn seeing a psychologist, I'd have to think they ruled out vision problems first.

kufram
07-12-2011, 02:13 AM

To hit .200 by the end of the season he'd have to hit at a pretty torrid pace. It doesn't matter what his end of year numbers are... it matters what he does between now and then.

mbwhitesox
07-12-2011, 04:18 AM
To hit .200 by the end of the season he'd have to hit at a pretty torrid pace. It doesn't matter what his end of year numbers are... it matters what he does between now and then.

Since it's late and I'm bored I did the math...

So far Dunn has hit 43/269 for an average of .160

To finish the season at .200 he'd have to hit .242 in the 2nd half (65/269 2nd half; 108/538 season). Not too unreasonable since he has a career average of .246

Incredibly, even if he somehow hits .300 the rest of the season, he would still only finish with a batting avg of .230. Taking it one step further, to reach his career avg of .246 he'd have to hit .335 the rest of the way :?:

kufram
07-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Since it's late and I'm bored I did the math...

So far Dunn has hit 43/269 for an average of .160

To finish the season at .200 he'd have to hit .242 in the 2nd half (65/269 2nd half; 108/538 season). Not too unreasonable since he has a career average of .246

Incredibly, even if he somehow hits .300 the rest of the season, he would still only finish with a batting avg of .230. Taking it one step further, to reach his career avg of .246 he'd have to hit .335 the rest of the way :?:

Thank you for the numbers. .242 looks pretty torrid next to .160! Should he raise his average by 80 points there would be a pretty fair number of Home Runs, I'd think.

oldgrouch
07-14-2011, 06:18 PM
The crazy stat I saw yesterday is he's 17 out of 138 at the Cell. That's a .123 average.

On the road he's hitting a cracking .198.

That's because no one boos him on the road.:o::o:

MetroPD
07-15-2011, 01:14 AM
That's because no one boos him on the road.:o::o:
Yeah its a real dramatic change between .123 & .198, he's worth every penny on the road.

guillensdisciple
07-15-2011, 02:02 AM
If Dunn doesn't start contributing like he should in the second half...

:hawk

You can cancel the postseason.

There will be no postseason on the south side this year in general- Hawk or no Hawkism.

SephClone89
07-15-2011, 03:43 AM
There will be no postseason on the south side this year in general- Hawk or no Hawkism.

But I thought you could pencil this club in as the most dangerous offensive team in the history of baseball?

guillensdisciple
07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
But I thought you could pencil this club in as the most dangerous offensive team in the history of baseball?

Lol if that's referencing me at the beginning of the year, well, I can't say much but that was a horrible prediction.

Scottiehaswheels
07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Does the Mendoza line get changed to the Dunn line after this year?

mzh
07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Now I understand why the season ends at the All-Star Break, nothing ever changes in the 3 months between that and October.

Bucky F. Dent
07-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Nice quote - too bad Kruk is an absolute moron!