PDA

View Full Version : WHEN are we going to beat the Twins?

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Yea, we won on Saturday...But, we're still 1-7 vs. Minnesota this season, and you all know how we've done against them the past decade. This is quite possibly the most lopsided "rivalry" going on in baseball right now. I didn't hate playing the 90s Indians nearly as much as this! I can't recall a single opponent dominating us for such a long time in my entire time following the Sox.

I thought the gap would get closer once the Twins left the Dome, but they're still beating us just as badly! How much longer do you think we're going to continue being the Minnesota Twins' bitches?

PalehosePlanet
07-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Yea, we won on Saturday...But, we're still 1-7 vs. Minnesota this season, and you all know how we've done against them the past decade. This is quite possibly the most lopsided "rivalry" going on in baseball right now. I didn't hate playing the 90s Indians nearly as much as this! I can't recall a single opponent dominating us for such a long time in my entire time following the Sox.

How much longer do you think we're going to continue being the Minnesota Twins' bitches?

Until we have a new manager and coaching staff.

palehozenychicty
07-11-2011, 01:01 AM
It will end on the day we get a new management team that is honest and starts believing that for all their division wins, we have a banner from that decade floating in the light tower and will start acting like it. We will start brushing them back. We will start sliding hard into the bases to break up plays. We will play to win because deep down, they are frauds. Crappy perpetual losers. How can we see this and the franchise doesn't, I don't know.

But the day will come. Soon.

tstrike2000
07-11-2011, 01:13 AM
It will start with a coaching staff that demands more, makes MUCH smarter choices and moves, and doesn't accept lack of execution.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 01:15 AM
It will end on the day we get a new management team that is honest and starts believing that for all their division wins, we have a banner from that decade floating in the light tower and will start acting like it. We will start brushing them back. We will start sliding hard into the bases to break up plays. We will play to win because deep down, they are frauds. Crappy perpetual losers. How can we see this and the franchise doesn't, I don't know.

But the day will come. Soon.
I can't wait til Ozzie is gone. He is the ringleader of this whole defeatist attitude our guys get whenever they play the Minnesota Twins. I've watched some Twins games when they're playing other teams, and they usually do not look as sharp. But, when they play us, everything clicks pretty close to 100% of the time. Balls hit to the outfield somehow find gaps...Balls hit to the infield find weird areas to take funny bounces. If other, more inferior clubs, can beat them, we should be able to! I'm freaking tired of ALWAYS losing to the Minnesota Twins!

LITTLE NELL
07-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Maybe if they moved back to Washington, we beat them a lot when they were the original Senators.

Zakath
07-11-2011, 08:14 AM
It will start with a coaching staff that demands more, makes MUCH smarter choices and moves, and doesn't accept lack of execution.

In three words, there's the reason why we continue to lose to the Twins. We have better talent; we just don't play like we have better talent. For as much as I hate the freaking Twins, you have to give them credit in that they play good fundamental baseball. They take advantage of your mistakes and don't make many themselves. When they run into teams with more talent than they have but who are fundamentally sound as well (IOW, usually every team that makes the playoffs), the results are predictable - the Twins get blasted out of the park.

Until we play smarter baseball (not walking guys, not giving them extra outs, not making marginal pitchers look like Steve Carlton), we're going to continue to lose to the ****tiest team in baseball.

russ99
07-11-2011, 08:40 AM
In three words, there's the reason why we continue to lose to the Twins. We have better talent; we just don't play like we have better talent. For as much as I hate the freaking Twins, you have to give them credit in that they play good fundamental baseball. They take advantage of your mistakes and don't make many themselves. When they run into teams with more talent than they have but who are fundamentally sound as well (IOW, usually every team that makes the playoffs), the results are predictable - the Twins get blasted out of the park.

Until we play smarter baseball (not walking guys, not giving them extra outs, not making marginal pitchers look like Steve Carlton), we're going to continue to lose to the ****tiest team in baseball.

We haven't played like we have better talent all year.

So maybe we don't have better talent. We have "could be" better talent.

The only keepers we have in the lineup are Paulie, Alexei and maybe Beckham. The rest haven't pulled their weight, and not just against the Twins.

doublem23
07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Saturday, July 9.

Hope you liked it. That was the only one of the year, methinks

Hitmen77
07-11-2011, 09:18 AM

I thought the gap would get closer once the Twins left the Dome, but they're still beating us just as badly! How much longer do you think we're going to continue being the Minnesota Twins' bitches?

Things won't change until the White Sox make significant changes to their management and coaching staff.

Players have come and gone and we continue to fold to the Twins no matter who is on our team. The constant has been Kenny, Ozzie, and the coaching staff.

Either Kenny is constantly getting players who can't rise up to to the Twins challenge or the manager and coaches aren't effective in getting our players to play "the right way".

Ozzie is great at tipping his hat to the Twins and being awestruck at how they play the game "the right way"......but meanwhile year after year, his players apparently don't know how to play the right way.

Procol Harum
07-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Barring some Grade B+ miracle, I'm afraid it's going to be another 4-5 years before we see the Sox start holding their own with, or winning season series, from the Twins. I'm afraid we need a revamping of team management on the field and in the executive boxes as well as a revamping of the roster--and most importantly--a revamping of the team culture. And we need to seriously reevaluate our way of doing business in terms of talent scouting and training in the minor leagues. All in all, that's going to take a while.

And yeah, it's brutal to contemplate the reality that, one way or t'other, we're likely in for a few years of real bad baseball....

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Saturday, July 9.

That's just a painful thing to fathom, since we still have 10 more games left with them. I think we might win a couple more, though (maybe we'll go 4-14 against them if we're lucky). But, that one team has single-handily kept us from competing for the division (we have better fortunes against every other team).
And yeah, it's brutal to contemplate the reality that, one way or t'other, we're likely in for a few years of real bad baseball....
I don't think we're in for a few years of bad baseball. We have a bunch of good players who have shown in the past (be it here or with another team) that they can be good baseball players. They have all decided to stink it up at the same time. We'd be at a prettier sight (probably leading this division) if some of them played to their career norms. But, we still wouldn't be able to beat the Twins.

BleacherBandit
07-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Can someone answer this question for me? I've been with WSI for a few years now and every summer it seems as if the Sox are stymied by some no-name pitcher on the Twins at least once a series. Sometimes it will be Liriano, but other times it will be guys named Brian Duensing or Anthony Swarzak. Now these aren't top ten pitchers in the American league, obviously. But yesterday Swarzak made Peavy look like a AAA call-up (although Peavy was awful in his own right).

On paper, historically, we have a better pitching staff in every facet. I remember prior to the season baseball analysts were stating that the only area by which the Sox outmatched the Twins was in starting pitching. The results this year have been bull****.

BigKlu59
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Maybe if they moved back to Washington, we beat them a lot when they were the original Senators.

:cool: Me likes that... Once they moved north and started the Lutefisk diet they've been a huge pain in our asses.. Truly an enigma I hope the Pale Hose figgure out soon..

BK59

BigKlu59
07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Can someone answer this question for me? I've been with WSI for a few years now and every summer it seems as if the Sox are stymied by some no-name pitcher on the Twins at least once a series. Sometimes it will be Liriano, but other times it will be guys named Brian Duensing or Anthony Swarzak. Now these aren't top ten pitchers in the American league, obviously. But yesterday Swarzak made Peavy look like a AAA call-up (although Peavy was awful in his own right).

On paper, historically, we have a better pitching staff in every facet. I remember prior to the season baseball analysts were stating that the only area by which the Sox outmatched the Twins was in starting pitching. The results this year have been bull****.

The same reason the Black Hawks have always made some no name goaler look like Georges Vezina. I've never been able to fathom this as well. They should have eaten this guy alive for lunch,but put themselves into counts that put them into the hole. Of course he did have a barn door for a strike zone and took advantage of it. Peavy on the other hand got bit by seeing eye grounders and duck snorts all afternoon..

You know its bad when a wild pitch has a seredipitous bounce back to the plate and AJ has Mazola fingers in pursuit.. May have made for an interesting bottom 9....But, the way things have been going this year..Bupkus..

BK59

GoGoCrede
07-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Saturday, July 9.

And of course that was the one game I missed. :mad:

ChiSoxGirl
07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Things won't change until the White Sox make significant changes to their management and coaching staff.

Players have come and gone and we continue to fold to the Twins no matter who is on our team. The constant has been Kenny, Ozzie, and the coaching staff.

Either Kenny is constantly getting players who can't rise up to to the Twins challenge or the manager and coaches aren't effective in getting our players to play "the right way".

Ozzie is great at tipping his hat to the Twins and being awestruck at how they play the game "the right way"......but meanwhile year after year, his players apparently don't know how to play the right way.

Back in January at SoxFest, I asked a question of Ozzie during the Kenny & Ozzie seminar. I wanted to know how he was going to change the approach to the Twins this season. I commented how, year after year, it's the same thing with the Sox -- lose 75% of our games to the Twins, don't retaliate in any way when their pitchers come at our guys, talk about how wonderful they play the game and constantly cower to them like the kid who got beat up on the playground and had his lunch money stolen. Specifically, I referenced Jamie Burke being bowled over by Torii Hunter in 2004 without any retaliation or protection of our own players and Paulie being hit in the jaw last summer without any retaliation. My question was met with some applause from the audience and we all awaited management's response.

Well, rather than answering my question, which I thought was a legitimate one, Kenny chose to mumble something in Ozzie's ear about how I was just being a firey redhead, which I was able to understand by reading his lips. As for Ozzie, he never did answer the question and just danced around it by talking about how the past games against the Twins are over and how they need to focus on the 18 games they'll play them this season. That's fine and all, but how in the hell do you plan on winning more than just one of those 18 games? Clearly, the only plan Ozzie has is to tip his cap to mediocre pitching & below-mediocrity hitting, and to talk about how much he loves "Gardie" and his managing style. Instead of spooning with his guy "Gardie," figure out a way to beat his damn team! :angry:

Bucky F. Dent
07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
In baseball?????

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Didn't you have a roommate or good friend who's a Twins fan? How's that going?
Back in January at SoxFest, I asked a question of Ozzie during the Kenny & Ozzie seminar. I wanted to know how he was going to change the approach to the Twins this season. I commented how, year after year, it's the same thing with the Sox -- lose 75% of our games to the Twins, don't retaliate in any way when their pitchers come at our guys, talk about how wonderful they play the game and constantly cower to them like the kid who got beat up on the playground and had his lunch money stolen. Specifically, I referenced Jamie Burke being bowled over by Torii Hunter in 2004 without any retaliation or protection of our own players and Paulie being hit in the jaw last summer without any retaliation. My question was met with some applause from the audience and we all awaited management's response.

Well, rather than answering my question, which I thought was a legitimate one, Kenny chose to mumble something in Ozzie's ear about how I was just being a firey redhead, which I was able to understand by reading his lips. As for Ozzie, he never did answer the question and just danced around it by talking about how the past games against the Twins are over and how they need to focus on the 18 games they'll play them this season. That's fine and all, but how in the hell do you plan on winning more than just one of those 18 games? Clearly, the only plan Ozzie has is to tip his cap to mediocre pitching & below-mediocrity hitting, and to talk about how much he loves "Gardie" and his managing style. Instead of spooning with his guy "Gardie," figure out a way to beat his damn team! :angry:
That is a good question, and I wish Ozzie actually answered it, because I want to know. From these first 8 games (lordy, we're not even HALF way done playing them), it shows that he DOESN'T have that "focus." Did he do a lot about talking up Gardenhire's managing style and how the Twins just play "good fundamental baseball?"

If I were you, I'd pose the same question again next year, mentioning how nothing has changed since you asked the question this year, and if the question is danced around again, pipe in again and ask for a clear answer.

I think Ozzie LOVES losing to Minnesota!

doublem23
07-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Maybe you should stop going to Twins/Sox games then. :tongue:

Domeshot17
07-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Everyone in this thread minus the Ozz-Poligists are right, it won't change until Ozzie is gone. When he is gone, things will change. We need a manager who comes in like Lovie did with the bears, with the goal of beating the AL central.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Everyone in this thread minus the Ozz-Poligists are right, it won't change until Ozzie is gone. When he is gone, things will change. We need a manager who comes in like Lovie did with the bears, with the goal of beating the AL central.
Either in the recent past or now, we have shown that we can beat everyone else in the division. But, not Minnesota...What IS it with that ONE team? I don't ever recalling a single team dominating the Blackhawks or Bears to this magnitude in my over 20 years of being a fan.

CLR01
07-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Either in the recent past or now, we have shown that we can beat everyone else in the division. But, not Minnesota...What IS it with that ONE team? I don't ever recalling a single team dominating the Blackhawks or Bears to this magnitude in my over 20 years of being a fan.

Brett Favre says hi.

russ99
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM

I'd rather have a manager focused on winning, period. There's a difference of opinion as to whether our current manager is or is not.

Personally I don't think it's some kind of mental block, they're just outplaying us plain and simple. There's some amount of luck involved, no doubt, but our guys are not executing.

Maybe it's as simple as this - the Sox get up to play the teams above them, like in the Boston sweep earlier this year or also when we play the Yankees, Rangers and Angels.

For the Twins, it seems like we're that team they get up to play against. Our guys seem to think playing the Twins is like any other game, right or wrong.

jdm2662
07-11-2011, 01:08 PM

I would've asked the same damn question, but I would've not been as nice. I would've of said, instead of kissing the Twins asses, can we kick them instead?

And, Kenny and Ozzie don't care what the fans think. We don't know anything about baseball. Just ask them.

russ99
07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I would've asked the same damn question, but I would've not been as nice. I would've of said, instead of kissing the Twins asses, can we kick them instead?

And, Kenny and Ozzie don't care what the fans think. We don't know anything about baseball. Just ask them.

Well, you can pretty much ask anyone around baseball. The don't make decisions based on the knee-jerk reactions of the fans.

Because Sox fans are taking issue of the recent performance of both of them is no reason to change that. Even if Ozzie and Kenny are fired, the new guys would say the same thing.

jdm2662
07-11-2011, 01:16 PM

At one point in his career, Brett Farve was 20-4 against the Bears. Of course, during the Lovie Smith era, his record was just 3-9. Two of those wins was the last game of the season were neither team had anything to play for. But of course, the Bears were hardly contenders during the Wanny and Jauron eras. The Sox are susposed to be contenders for the division each year... It's funny, I always ranted how Favre was so beatable, and we are doing the same thing with the Twins.

As for the rest of the division, the Sox used to dominate DET. Hasn't been the last couple of years. Even KC plays them tough. CLE, despite being terrible until this year, have also done well against the Sox. The focus on this team needs to change more than anything else. You must win your division games, or at least be over .500.

jdm2662
07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, you can pretty much ask anyone around baseball. The don't make decisions based on the knee-jerk reactions of the fans.

Because Sox fans are taking issue of the recent performance of both of them is no reason to change that. Even if Ozzie and Kenny are fired, the new guys would say the same thing.

I realize that. Just don't flat out say it. That's all. On numerous occasions, they ripped the fans, right or wrong. It gets quite tiring when THEY don't produce results. I can deal with smugness as long as you produce. The thing is, this team and group has put me over the edge. And, that's very hard to do.

But, here is my biggest beef. These are not knee jerk reactions. We are seeing the same **** year after year. I don't expect the Sox to win the World Series every year, or even have a World Series caliber team year after year. Those are rare, and I get it. I do expect them to compete for the division every year, especially since they have resources to compete in the AL Central. Yet, we continue to see different players do the same thing, and they look even worse than ever. They also always bow down to the Twins, and don't even dominate DET like they used to. The poor division records simply isn't going to cut it. It costed them both last year and this year, and will continue to do so.

Crestani
07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
The following quip is courtesy of John McKay....

"Mr. Reinsdorf, what do you think of your teams execution"?

"I'm all for it"...!!!

JB98
07-11-2011, 02:16 PM

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. Their record against the Twins and other divisional foes is proof positive that they are not doing a good job -- and haven't been doing a good job for a few years now.

Nellie_Fox
07-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Maybe you should stop going to Twins/Sox games then. :tongue:I already have. It hasn't helped.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2011, 01:37 AM
So, my boyfriend and I were talking about Halloween costumes tonight, and he suggested that I dress up as Ozzie. I told him that I'd need a white flag and a Minnesota Twin.

DrCrawdad
07-12-2011, 08:16 AM
The Sox will start regularly beating the Twins when it no longer matters. For this season, when the Sox are near mathematically eliminated they'll beat the Twins. In the future, when the Sox are "rebuilding" or having an extremely poor season, when it doesn't really matter for the Sox, then too they'll start to do well against the Twins.

The Immigrant
07-12-2011, 10:21 AM
"I'd rather do anything in baseball than face those piranhas," Guillen had said. "They're hungry, and they show people they're hungry. I love those guys, I really do. I enjoy my team, but I love the way [the Twins] approach the game." [...]

"We're not rah-rah," he said. "That's special stuff over there. No big names, no big-money people, no big stars. But the way they go about their business is awesome.

"I call them little piranhas because ... those guys bite little by little and all of a sudden you're dead. I love it, I'm sorry.

"A better team than mine? No, but I love the way they play the game."
-- Chicago Tribune, Aug. 27, 2006

:chunks

kaufsox
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Keep hearing how the White Sox are more talented, but I have yet to see proof of that these past few years.

Jurr
07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
The way you beat Minnesota is to play like them. It's a mindset.
Every fielding opportunity, bunt, chance to take an extra base, etc. is important and is worth so much focus and practice that it becomes instinctive.

The Sox keep spending money on power hitters. If they had a bunch of AJ Pierzynskis (smart contact hitter that plays heads up constantly), they would perform better. Instead they load up on 25-45 homerun per year players.

For the price of one Adam Dunn you could get two guys that can hit .275, field a competent position, and swipe a bag/take an extra base.

The one time the Sox loaded up on gamers with something to prove (and contracts to earn), they won a World Series. They won because they HAD to focus. They HAD to grind out at bats because they couldn't wait for a three run homer. They HAD to steal bases, move the runner over, and not give away ABs with dead pull swings.

KW should be fired strictly for this fact. He immediately changed the attitude and concept of his team the year after a WS win. Things looked good for a half, while the psyche of the unit was still in "we can win any game" mode.

The moment that those ingrained thoughts and routines were allowed to leave, and the 2000-2004 mentality seeped back in, the Sox fell off the face of the earth.

It's sad.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Interesting story on the "mentality" of facing the Twins. Apperently it's still in Quentin's mind and Cuddeyer seems to relish it:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6466991-419/white-sox-carlos-quentin-dealing-with-loss-to-twins-trade-rumors.html

(Story starts out with Quentin trade rumors...)

Lip

Soxman219
07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Interesting story on the "mentality" of facing the Twins. Apperently it's still in Quentin's mind and Cuddeyer seems to relish it:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6466991-419/white-sox-carlos-quentin-dealing-with-loss-to-twins-trade-rumors.html

Lip

Well that's good news.

Hitmen77
07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
interesting story on the "mentality" of facing the twins. Apperently it's still in quentin's mind and cuddeyer seems to relish it:

(story starts out with quentin trade rumors...)

lip

Passion! Pride!!!! Tradition!!!!!!!

tstrike2000
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Lip

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2011/03/23/images/mlbf_13260195_th_13.jpg

A 84 MPH fastball from a Twins pitcher looks like a 240 MPH heater to a Sox hitter. LIGHT IT!

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I really thought that once the Twins had to play outdoors but guess not...

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
A 84 MPH fastball from a Twins pitcher looks like a 240 MPH heater to a Sox hitter. LIGHT IT!
:rolling:
I really thought that once the Twins had to play outdoors but guess not...
I did too. I thought it was because they just knew how to play the Dome to their advantage. But, they've kept their foot firmly planted on our throat. They're even mauling us at our own home!

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
:rolling:

I did too. I thought it was because they just knew how to play the Dome to their advantage. But, they've kept their foot firmly planted on our throat. They're even mauling us at our own home!

Exactly! :angry:

Rikirk
07-16-2011, 04:34 PM
So does anyone know what is Kryptonite to a Twinkie?
What is their Achillies heel?

Durned if I know.

DrCrawdad
07-16-2011, 04:37 PM
So does anyone know what is Kryptonite to a Twinkie?
What is their Achillies heel?

Durned if I know.

This seems to have a strong, laxative effect on the Twinkies...

http://blog.prorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/yankees.jpg

DSpivack
07-16-2011, 05:04 PM
That picture just a little big?