PDA

View Full Version : 1st half - By the Numbers

Lip Man 1
07-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Folks:

Submitted for your edification (as Rod Serling used to say on The Twilight Zone, which ironically is how the Sox have played for much of the season...).

Record: 44-48
The Sox have scored three runs or less in 46 of 92 games (50%)
The Sox are 5-8 in extra inning games
The Sox are 14-12 in one run games
The Sox are 9-8 in two run games
Longest win streak of the season: 4 games
Longest losing streak of the season: 7 games

The Sox have lost 12 games where they held the opponent to three runs or less

The Sox have lost 8 games this year where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later

The Sox have won 6 games this year where they trailed in the 7th inning or later

In other words AT BEST this is a mediocre team, playing mediocre baseball when it looks like they are actually trying.

Could the Sox be so blind as to feel they don't have to change anything?

Lip

Boondock Saint
07-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Folks:

Submitted for your edification (as Rod Serling used to say on The Twilight Zone, which ironically is how the Sox have played for much of the season...).

The Sox have scored three runs or less in 46 of 91 games (50.5%)

The Sox have lost 8 games this year where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later

The Sox have won 6 games this year where they trailed in the 7th inning or later

In other words AT BEST this is a mediocre team, playing mediocre baseball when it looks like they are actually trying.

Lip

In a word, yes.

Hitmen77
07-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Folks:

The Sox have scored three runs or less in 46 of 91 games (50.5%)

Lip

Yes.

SI1020
07-10-2011, 05:27 PM
They're not mediocre. They're bad and nothing much to look forward to in the near future. Tear it all down and start all over. I'll suffer for a few years if there is a coherent plan in place.

PeteWard
07-10-2011, 05:30 PM
5 games out at the break in a **** division.

4 games under.

Twins nipping at our heels.

I would still say the Sox are in this thing, if they did not look
so utterly terrible at the plate -- especially in clutch situations where
they repeatedly choke.

They cannot handle pressure at all.

thomas35forever
07-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for giving me material for my show tonight. God, this team is bad.

soxfanatlanta
07-10-2011, 05:31 PM
They're not mediocre. They're bad and nothing much to look forward to in the near future. Tear it all down and start all over. I'll suffer for a few years if there is a coherent plan in place.

Correct.

If they had this record in the AL East, I would say they are mediocre, but they are playing in a very weak division. They are a lousy baseball team, run by a very bad organization.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Thomas:

Forgive my stupidity but what show?

Lip

thomas35forever
07-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Thomas:

Forgive my stupidity but what show?

Lip
From the Upper Deck on WONC.org starting at 6. If you want to weigh in on this crap, send me a PM so you can call in.

getonbckthr
07-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Folks:

Lip
All that being said the only stat that really matters to me in general is 8-16. Thats our record against our division, which is a sucky weak division!

doublem23
07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
The worst part about all of this is that the Sox are still just a few games under .500 and right in the thick of the Central... For as absolutely terribly as they have played they are right there. I sincerely doubt this team needs to be blown up, they just need to make some tweaks here and there... and they won't even do that.

balke
07-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I really feel like they are 6-7 back because of the loss column. Bottom line is they lost to the Twins again. Not good considering they just lost to the Royals.

I'm not expecting anything drastic at the all-star break. I think maybe they let them try the 6-man one more time to see if they can get the strong starting pitching they had going back. This is definitely the time to get some trades in place though.

Maybe let Mark go to the Cards if they want him. Maybe someone will want AJ.

Don't expect a lot in return - just shed some salary. Then make a trade with Danks or Jackson involved that does net a solid return. Maybe include Viciedo in that one - or Quentin.

Gonna be a rough couple of years if they blow it up though. Unless Peavy comes back to some kind of decent form by next year... this team is just awful.

Blueprint1
07-10-2011, 07:04 PM
3 runs or less in 50% of the games is horrible. This is why Walker must be the first to go.

dickallen15
07-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Folks:

Lip

I don't think they are that blind, there just in a bind. They have a lot of untradeable contracts and really can't add any payroll. They are screwed.

Soxman219
07-10-2011, 07:24 PM
The sad part is is that a winning streak puts them in first place. That's how bad this division is. Thanks to this week's pathetic performance, the Twins and Royals still have a puncher's chance at the division.

balke
07-10-2011, 08:30 PM
The sad part is is that a winning streak puts them in first place. That's how bad this division is. Thanks to this week's pathetic performance, the Twins and Royals still have a puncher's chance at the division.

Or they get swept first series back and fall back 10 in the loss column.

Zakath
07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Or they get swept first series back and fall back 10 in the loss column.

Well, they play each other in a 4-game series in Minnesota, so one or the other gets hurt.

We have a 10-game road trip, while the bastard Twins open a 12-game, 11-day homestand after the ASB (4 each vs. KC, Cle, and Det). If the SOB's are going to play their way back into the division, this is when they're going to do it.

Of course, they're not playing us, so the chances of them doing serious damage are greatly reduced, because other teams don't bend over and grab their ankles for the bastards.

NLaloosh
07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
they're not mediocre. They're bad and nothing much to look forward to in the near future. Tear it all down and start all over. I'll suffer for a few years if there is a coherent plan in place.

+ 1

Lip Man 1
07-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Sox have a very tough road the rest of the month. Games with Detroit, Yankees, Boston, Twins...more than likely they'll be buried by the trade deadline so at least Kenny will know what he has to do.

Lip

SBSoxFan
07-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Correct.

If they had this record in the AL East, I would say they are mediocre, but they are playing in a very weak division. They are a lousy baseball team, run by a very bad organization.

They have a better record against both the AL East and AL West than they do against the AL Central. How's that work?

So, how could you say they are lousy? I mean, they might be, but not by your posted standards.

DSpivack
07-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Laurence Holmes is a guest on NBC's sunday sports show tonight, and just cited that the Sox have scored 3- runs in 46 of 92 games. I'm guessing he got that stat from this thread, though he didn't say so.

Chez
07-11-2011, 09:02 AM

That's not "sad." That's the only thing keeping me going!

doublem23
07-11-2011, 09:15 AM
That's not "sad." That's the only thing keeping me going!

Absolutely. No reason this team can't regroup and rip off 7 or 8 or 9 wins in a row and blast into 1st place if they could ever get past whatever collective mental block is weighing down their talent. ****, if just Dunn and Rios wake the hell up for the 2nd half, we can probably win this division with a week to spare in September.

shes
07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Given how hugely disappointing the offense has been, 4 games under seems about right. I have no faith in Rios, but I do believe Dunn will bounce back and Beckham will continue his slow climb back to respectability. 78-85 wins seems like where the Sox will land, and 85 may be enough this year.

Hitmen77
07-11-2011, 01:19 PM
This is the first year in a long time that I'm not really going to miss regular season baseball during the All Star Break.

The Sox still may be within striking distance of first place, but they haven't shown me anything this year that gives me hope that they'll suddenly start playing like a good team.

Procol Harum
07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Sox have a very tough road the rest of the month. Games with Detroit, Yankees, Boston, Twins...more than likely they'll be buried by the trade deadline so at least Kenny will know what he has to do.

Lip

True dat--the two weeks after the ASB is a back-breaker that really makes it all the more unlikely that the Sox will come roaring back into the race. Nice if it happens, but I'm not gonna bet my tomato patch, much less the farm, on it.

JB98
07-11-2011, 02:19 PM
This is the first year in a long time that I'm not really going to miss regular season baseball during the All Star Break.

The Sox still may be within striking distance of first place, but they haven't shown me anything this year that gives me hope that they'll suddenly start playing like a good team.

Driving to the ballpark yesterday, I heard Rozner say on The Score that he hasn't seen any reason yet why the Sox can't win the division.

Maybe he watches the Cubs all the time. I don't know. But if he's actually watched the Sox, he should be able to come up with a long list of reasons the Sox won't win the division. All you have to do is look at Lip's first post of the thread.

It's right there in black and white. I don't know why the next 70 games will be different than the first 92. They need to change the mix to have any chance to salvage this.

tstrike2000
07-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Laurence Holmes is a guest on NBC's sunday sports show tonight, and just cited that the Sox have scored 3- runs in 46 of 92 games. I'm guessing he got that stat from this thread, though he didn't say so.

Yes, you're right. I saw Holmes on Sports Sunday and saw him mentioning that stat about the Sox before going on a strange diatribe comparing Jay Cutler to 80's bad guy William Zabka.

JermaineDye05
07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
This sums up the first half from a fan's perspective:

XhI0OVs_zj0

Crestani
07-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Lip

What in Kenny's past indicates he would know what to do...???:scratch:

Chez
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
This sums up the first half from a fan's perspective:

XhI0OVs_zj0

That clip never gets old. Ever.

sunofgold
07-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Five is the only number that matters. Five games out at the break means that we are in the division race. 70 games left.

KW has to try to make any trade(s) that will make us better this year. I know that he might be tied b/c of salaries/contracts. But, heck, maybe the Chief JR is willing to spend a little bit more. If not, think 'creative trade'

If not that, maybe Viciedo can be the player to add a spark. Bringing him up from the minors is like making a trade/deal for a hitter.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Five is the only number that matters. Five games out at the break means that we are in the division race. 70 games left.

KW has to try to make any trade(s) that will make us better this year. I know that he might be tied b/c of salaries/contracts. But, heck, maybe the Chief JR is willing to spend a little bit more. If not, think 'creative trade'

If not that, maybe Viciedo can be the player to add a spark. Bringing him up from the minors is like making a trade/deal for a hitter.
But, I'm not so sure Viciedo will even be brought up. KW can be SO stubborn! We know that Dunn can't be sent down, but there are plenty of position players who can to make room for him. Would we really be missing something if we, for example, sent Morel down to make room for him? I doubt it!

Crestani
07-11-2011, 06:42 PM
But, I'm not so sure Viciedo will even be brought up. KW can be SO stubborn! We know that Dunn can't be sent down, but there are plenty of position players who can to make room for him. Would we really be missing something if we, for example, sent Morel down to make room for him? I doubt it!

Defense....If Viciedo comes up IMO it will because of a trade, or the Sox are far enough out of it, there will be no pressure on him.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Defense....If Viciedo comes up IMO it will because of a trade, or the Sox are far enough out of it, there will be no pressure on him.
Considering how poor our offense is, I think we could sacrifice a bit of that to help our batting lineup.

Nelfox02
07-11-2011, 11:45 PM

Lip

yeah....I think this season is about to be squashed for good. In 2008 some Sox fan buddies and I started a tradition that during the all star break the three of us would sit and look at the remaining schedule for the Sox and the 2 teams in the divison closest to us (either above or below) in the standings and try to predict the outcome of each series. great discussions, good food, and a too many beers....by the end of the break we would agree on prediction model and then see how well we did the rest of the way.......

this year, we all agreed........waste of time and too depressing to engage in this activity

Nellie_Fox
07-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Would we really be missing something if we, for example, sent Morel down to make room for him? I doubt it!An everyday third baseman, perhaps? Don't tell me you'd put Viciedo there.