PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Sox/A's skirmish, Tony La Russa erupts at reporter

PKalltheway
07-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Things get a little testy between the Sox and A's at Comiskey in 1991, and La Russa wants to hear none of it from reporters after the game. Warning: some language in the video might not be suitable for work.

pk1jjdy1emU

Zisk77
07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
I believe that was the game LaRussa threw a bat or a helmet on the screen behind home plate.

RKMeibalane
07-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Sosa with a terrible throw from right field. Imagine that? :cool:

cards press box
07-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I believe that was the game LaRussa threw a bat or a helmet on the screen behind home plate.

I was at that game and, yes, LaRussa did throw something on the screen. I don't remember if it was a bat or a helmet.

Listening to LaRussa abuse the AP reporter for no legitimate reason reminded me of why I never liked LaRussa that much in the first place. No doubt that LaRussa was concerned about the health of his catcher, Terry Steinbach, but what did the AP reporter have to do with the beaning, anyway? Like a frustrated child, LaRussa simply lashed out at the person in closest proximity.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHUFvkm8xR0dflgDEAavjjWQdlCyAym gI1V1kG0lK7dKlzXpyl7g

A talented manager but a flawed guy with a bad temper who, in retrospect, must have looked the other way at steroid use on his A's clubs.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2011, 12:02 PM
From Jeff Torborg's interview:

“As far as Bobby Thigpen was concerned we played a game against the A’s in 1991. We had a lead and Bobby came in to pitch the 8th inning for Alex Fernandez and a pitch got away from him and hit Terry Steinbach in the head. Tony (LaRussa) went crazy, I still remember him throwing a bat and my first thought was ‘what if that hit a fan? What kind of a lawsuit would he be looking at?’ Anyway it was an ugly, ugly game, we lost the lead, wound up losing the game but there was a big fight after Steinbach got hit. Bobby was down on the bottom of the pile and he hurt his back. I think that’s why he lost his effectiveness not because of anything that I or the coaching staff did.” (Author’s Note: The game was played on June 1, 1991. The A’s came from behind to win 7-4.)

Lip

Red Barchetta
07-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Hard to believe that was already 20 years ago.

Hard to believe how ugly and sterile Comiskey II was when it first opened.

Hard to believe that LaRauss over-reacted. :rolleyes:

There was no love between those teams back then. Obviously Thigpen cringed after the ball got away, however this was the climatic result of these two teams going at it both on the field and off the field for some time.

thomas35forever
07-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, LaRussa has never claimed to a saint.

RKMeibalane
07-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Well, LaRussa has never claimed to a saint.

No, but it's interesting the way he dealt with people during that time period, given all of the nonsense that his own players (Canseco, McGwire, etc.) were involved in. Despite what he says, he had to know that multiple people on his team were using performance-enhancing drugs.

getonbckthr
07-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I was just a little kid when this happened but is it safe to say possible that pitch is what led to the downfall of Bobby Thigpen?

Oblong
07-10-2011, 05:08 PM
My wife worked at a men's clothing store in the early 90's and a lot of famous people would come in because we had the Hyatt and Ritz Carlton right across the road from the mall. La Russa was a jerk when he'd come in.

Obviously you don't like to see guys out driving drunk due to safety issues but I took great joy in watching Mr. Lawyer's inability to recite his ABC's.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Geton:

As Torborg said Thigpen hurt his back in the fight and that's why he lost his effectiveness.

Lip

Brian26
07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
So many jackasses in that video, it's hard to know where to start. Glad to see resident nutjob Dave Stewart got involved at the end of the clubhouse ruckus.

RKMeibalane
07-10-2011, 07:56 PM
So many jackasses in that video, it's hard to know where to start. Glad to see resident nutjob Dave Stewart got involved at the end of the clubhouse ruckus.

Indeed. The Athletics teams of the late 80s/early 90s were nothing more than a collection of glorified thugs and assclowns. Stewart, Rickey Henderson, Dave "Fatass" Henderson, Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, etc. When Canseco was finally traded (August 31, 1992), Ruben Sierra was part of the return package from Texas, and was also an *******.

ESPN published a story a few years ago about an incident involving Sierra shortly after he was traded to the Yankees for an overpaid bust named Danny Tartabull (and future Sox clean-up hitter). One of his post-home run celebrations was too demonstrative for Don Mattingly's taste, so the then Yankee captain took Sierra up the ramp leading to the clubhouse and chewed Sierra out, saying that he was embarrassing the Yankees organization, and that he would end up getting other players thrown at. Sierra never celebrated after another home run again.

Oblong
07-10-2011, 08:32 PM
that reminds me of Fisk chastising Deion at the plate.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
RK:

Tartabull played very well with the Sox his one season... 25 home runs and 100 RBI's if I remember right.

Lip

Chez
07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm no fan of Tony La Russa or the early 1990's Oakland A's, but isn't what the A's and their manager did in reaction to Steinbach getting hit in the head the exact type of reaction most on this board think is missing from the current Sox team -- "no guts, no balls, no fire blah blah blah." Lip, there seemed to be plenty of "vocal leaders" in the A's clubhouse -- at least on that day.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Chez:

Agreed. For a Sox example remember what happened after the fight with Detroit in April 2000. Reading the newspaper from the day they clinched, a number of guy were quoted on how important that incident was to them bonding as a club.

Lip

TaylorStSox
07-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Indeed. The Athletics teams of the late 80s/early 90s were nothing more than a collection of glorified thugs and assclowns. Stewart, Rickey Henderson, Dave "Fatass" Henderson, Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, etc. When Canseco was finally traded (August 31, 1992), Ruben Sierra was part of the return package from Texas, and was also an *******.

ESPN published a story a few years ago about an incident involving Sierra shortly after he was traded to the Yankees for an overpaid bust named Danny Tartabull (and future Sox clean-up hitter). One of his post-home run celebrations was too demonstrative for Don Mattingly's taste, so the then Yankee captain took Sierra up the ramp leading to the clubhouse and chewed Sierra out, saying that he was embarrassing the Yankees organization, and that he would end up getting other players thrown at. Sierra never celebrated after another home run again.

Rickey may have been an "assclown," but there were a lot of great players in that video. Rickey was better than all of em.

Madvora
07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
That was just as big of a rivalry as we have with the Twins now. Depending on the year, even bigger.

Lamp81
07-11-2011, 10:15 PM
RK:

Tartabull played very well with the Sox his one season... 25 home runs and 100 RBI's if I remember right.

Lip
This has to be the biggest example of mis-leading statistics in White Sox history. Tartabull was a BUM when he played with the Sox. Time after time, with runners on base, early to mid season, Tartabull failed, especially in close games.

Tartabull put up those numbers in blow-out games and after the Sox were out of the race.

Glad he was only here for 1 year. So dissapointing, he was that year.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Well according to Retrosheet he had 45 RBI's by July 3rd when the Sox were only four games out for whatever that's worth.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
07-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm no fan of Tony La Russa or the early 1990's Oakland A's, but isn't what the A's and their manager did in reaction to Steinbach getting hit in the head the exact type of reaction most on this board think is missing from the current Sox team -- "no guts, no balls, no fire blah blah blah." Lip, there seemed to be plenty of "vocal leaders" in the A's clubhouse -- at least on that day.

So if a Sox player gets beaned the same way Steinbach did, Ozzie should scream and yell at reporters?

RKMeibalane
07-12-2011, 10:59 PM
So if a Sox player gets beaned the same way Steinbach did, Ozzie should scream and yell at reporters?

No, he shouldn't, though the chances of anyone actually understanding anything he says are slim to none.